https://gosoutheast.com/sports/football/roster/bydarrius-knighten/9325

Looks to be our new transfer

bulldawg28
05-05-2021, 08:37 PM
You'd think we have enough safeties.

thf24
05-05-2021, 10:21 PM

Not many who we'd want in coverage a lot. Taking another one who can help us there is almost as good as taking a corner at this point.

FISHDAWG
05-06-2021, 07:06 AM
where did he transfer from ?

Tbonewannabe
05-06-2021, 07:40 AM

You have to think about our defensive scheme though. We essentially play 3 safeties at all times so we need 6 just for basic depth.

Jack Lambert
05-06-2021, 10:12 AM
You have to think about our defensive scheme though. We essentially play 3 safeties at all times so we need 6 just for basic depth.

And they need to play mean like linebackers.

Tbonewannabe
05-06-2021, 10:34 AM
And they need to play mean like linebackers.

Very similar to Dog safeties under Joe Lee Dunn. I wonder how Ashley Cooper would play in today's scheme.

bulldawg28
05-06-2021, 11:55 AM

We have like 20 safeties.

R2Dawg
05-06-2021, 12:08 PM
Very similar to Dog safeties under Joe Lee Dunn. I wonder how Ashley Cooper would play in today's scheme.

Cooper could wreck some plays. I'll take a couple more.

thf24
05-06-2021, 12:16 PM
We have like 20 safeties.

We have nine scholarship safeties on the roster right now and about half of them are dog/whatever we're calling the hybrid spot types. We need more guys who can cover deep. Whether the subject of this thread meets that need, I don't know. If he doesn't, this addition is a head scratcher to me too.

Cooterpoot
05-06-2021, 12:54 PM
It's a waste IMO. We're solid at safety already. We really need another CB.

NCDawg
05-06-2021, 02:45 PM
Cooper could wreck some plays. I'll take a couple more.

Little Tim Nelson would bust you, too. We need more of his type.

bulldawg28
05-06-2021, 04:12 PM

Targeting penalties galore.

OLJWales
05-06-2021, 05:46 PM
Targeting penalties galore.

Wonder what Ashley Cooper's doing these days. Enjoyed watching that guy play. I guess he never got paid by NFL?

bulldawg28
05-06-2021, 07:34 PM
I say go after Brandon Turnage from Bama and keep it going. Another MS kid in the portal.

Tripp McNeely
05-06-2021, 08:09 PM
Wonder what Ashley Cooper's doing these days. Enjoyed watching that guy play. I guess he never got paid by NFL?

He was an personal trainer at the DeSoto Athletic Club in Southaven for a decent amount of time

Tbonewannabe
05-06-2021, 08:16 PM

I think he played for someone, maybe the Broncos for a few years.

SilentSteel16
05-06-2021, 08:20 PM
With Turnage transferring from UA you would think we have a shot. Or maybe he goes to FSU to be with his boy there. Wish these kids quit wasting their eligibility at places like UA. If you can for sure go and start there that is one thing but why go to a 4 deep school already?

Cooterpoot
05-06-2021, 08:54 PM
Turner can't start for us. He's depth at best. He's similar to the kid this past year from up there. Can run a 40, but that's it. Plus, he'd have to sit. No point.

bulldawg28
05-07-2021, 07:59 AM
Turner can't start for us. He's depth at best. He's similar to the kid this past year from up there. Can run a 40, but that's it. Plus, he'd have to sit. No point.

No point? We're offering safeties for next year and he's an SEC legit player. You don't go and play at Bama and be a scrub. Saban doesn't get desperate and offer just anyone.

Johnson85
05-07-2021, 08:42 AM

I wonder if all the new transfers will make the SEC reconsider imposing extra penalties on transferring in conference. It's going to help other conferences more when players that can't make it at Bama or UGA or LSU leave the conference. I guess Saban won't care; he'd rather the conference slate be easier and if they can't make it at Bama, they're probably not going to help OSU or Clemson beat them. But you'd think there'd be enough SEC schools losing instate recruits and watching them get buried at a blue blood and then not consider them when transferring because of the SEC specific rules would want to change those rules.

bulldawg28
05-07-2021, 08:44 AM
I wonder if all the new transfers will make the SEC reconsider imposing extra penalties on transferring in conference. It's going to help other conferences more when players that can't make it at Bama or UGA or LSU leave the conference. I guess Saban won't care; he'd rather the conference slate be easier and if they can't make it at Bama, they're probably not going to help OSU or Clemson beat them. But you'd think there'd be enough SEC schools losing instate recruits and watching them get buried at a blue blood and then not consider them when transferring because of the SEC specific rules would want to change those rules.

The SEC should definitely throw out its rule. It's hard to understand how it's ruling has power above the NCAA.

Johnson85
05-07-2021, 09:36 AM
The SEC should definitely throw out its rule. It's hard to understand how it's ruling has power above the NCAA.

They can have any conference specific rules they want that don't contradict NCAA rules. NCAA rule just puts minimums for eligibility as far as I know, so conferences can have additional requirements if they want.

bulldawg28
05-07-2021, 11:01 AM
They can have any conference specific rules they want that don't contradict NCAA rules. NCAA rule just puts minimums for eligibility as far as I know, so conferences can have additional requirements if they want.

It still makes no sense.

OLJWales
05-07-2021, 11:50 AM
It still makes no sense.

Yep, in the end you have to choose one or the other. I understand why the rule may be in place but allowing other conferences advantages over SEC transfers seems like the worst of the two.

Johnson85
05-07-2021, 02:01 PM
It still makes no sense.

Not anymore. I think in the past, when transferring was rarer, it helped limit transfers some. If you wanted to leave, you had to sit out a year to go anywhere, so it was a reasonably painful decision, and making an in-SEC transfer sit out two years assured that it was even more painful, as it gave you less options for transferring without dropping down a level or leaving the area (ignoring some of the SEC/ACC overlap). Now when it's so easy and common to transfer, we just ensure we are losing athletes to other conferences.

Cooterpoot
05-07-2021, 03:16 PM
No point? We're offering safeties for next year and he's an SEC legit player. You don't go and play at Bama and be a scrub. Saban doesn't get desperate and offer just anyone.

He barely touched the field in their blow outs. He's nothing special. Never was. He ran a great 40 time and nothing else. We've got three good safeties, maybe four if our injured Fr pans out. We've already got several lined up to come in.
Saban offers guys to keep them from other teams and then processes them.

bulldawg28
05-07-2021, 08:14 PM
He barely touched the field in their blow outs. He's nothing special. Never was. He ran a great 40 time and nothing else. We've got three good safeties, maybe four if our injured Fr pans out. We've already got several lined up to come in.
Saban offers guys to keep them from other teams and then processes them.

Agreed with Saban.

bulldawg28
05-07-2021, 08:14 PM
Not anymore. I think in the past, when transferring was rarer, it helped limit transfers some. If you wanted to leave, you had to sit out a year to go anywhere, so it was a reasonably painful decision, and making an in-SEC transfer sit out two years assured that it was even more painful, as it gave you less options for transferring without dropping down a level or leaving the area (ignoring some of the SEC/ACC overlap). Now when it's so easy and common to transfer, we just ensure we are losing athletes to other conferences.

Yep, made sense then.

Hambone
05-07-2021, 11:36 PM
Turnage is going home to Oxford. Ole Miss bound

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2021, 05:59 PM
How does Alabama get the badass LB from Tennessee he would have made our defense one of the best in the league