PDA

View Full Version : Latest D1 Field of 64....

CadaverDawg
05-04-2021, 05:48 PM
https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-of-64-may-4/

https://i.imgflip.com/58a8sc.jpg

Thoughts?

Choctaw Dawg
05-04-2021, 06:23 PM
We might get a Tulane or Southern Miss, but it won't be both. Expect a three seed nobody projects to be in Starkville (see Fullerton in 2016 and Central Michigan in 2019)

Todd4State
05-04-2021, 06:31 PM
NCAA typically doesn't like to do rematches in a regional. For that reason I would be surprised if we get Tulane.

Santiago
05-04-2021, 07:10 PM
One thing for sure, the Super Regionals will be as tough of matchups this year across the board as I can remember in a while. Just seems there are 20 teams that could get hot over a weekend. Louisville would be a tough one.

KOdawg1
05-04-2021, 07:14 PM
Getting both USM and Tulane would suck. Good news is we wouldn't see Olthoff (or however you spell his name) because he would definitely go game 1.

LA Tech doesn't scare me in a super in Starkville though, so I'd gladly take that. Louisville might actually win that regional.

Cowbell
05-04-2021, 07:15 PM
NCAA typically doesn't like to do rematches in a regional. For that reason I would be surprised if we get Tulane.

Same for southern miss

KOdawg1
05-04-2021, 07:16 PM
Don't be surprised if we get paired with a team like Florida for a super regional. The NCAA isn't going to want 6 SEC teams in Omaha, so we'll be paired together to weed each other out.

Todd4State
05-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Same for southern miss

True. Although I will say that the one exception for rematches would be in state teams. Which is even more reason why Tulane won't be in our regional because those are all team that we would have played this year. I think the committee would likely switch Tulane and Dallas Baptist in this projection. Tulane would then be in a Louisiana regional.

Todd4State
05-04-2021, 07:26 PM
Don't be surprised if we get paired with a team like Florida for a super regional. The NCAA isn't going to want 6 SEC teams in Omaha, so we'll be paired together to weed each other out.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Coach34
05-04-2021, 07:45 PM
Yes- I would expect a set-up where at most 4 SEC teams could end up in Omaha.

Love us staying at a 4/5 with UPig as the 1. I would rather play a hitting team in that pitcher's park than a pitching team like Vandy.

I dont see us getting people both a USM/Tulane because we have already played.

Homedawg
05-04-2021, 08:02 PM
Getting both USM and Tulane would suck. Good news is we wouldn't see Olthoff (or however you spell his name) because he would definitely go game 1.

LA Tech doesn't scare me in a super in Starkville though, so I'd gladly take that. Louisville might actually win that regional.

Why does it suck? I'd die for that regional.

Homedawg
05-04-2021, 08:02 PM

Agree

KOdawg1
05-04-2021, 08:05 PM
Why does it suck? I'd die for that regional.

Just my opinion.

StarkVegasSteve
05-05-2021, 08:58 AM

I could see them risking it and holding Olthoff for us. For them to win any regional they're in I'd have to believe they would need to hold him to play the number 1 seed. IMO

MaroonFlounder
05-05-2021, 09:15 AM
We might get a Tulane or Southern Miss, but it won't be both. Expect a three seed nobody projects to be in Starkville (see Fullerton in 2016 and Central Michigan in 2019)

That was before Covid. I think most will be regionally as much as possible.

KOdawg1
05-05-2021, 10:40 AM
I could see them risking it and holding Olthoff for us. For them to win any regional they're in I'd have to believe they would need to hold him to play the number 1 seed. IMO

Part of me wants no part of him, but the other part of me wants to smash his ass. The kid is good and shoved it against us, but we made him 10x better than he was. Part of the reason we lost that game too is because Mac fell apart and I think it was one of the few times Sims allowed a run. He played great but we did everything we could to help them.

StarkVegasSteve
05-05-2021, 11:04 AM
Part of me wants no part of him, but the other part of me wants to smash his ass. The kid is good and shoved it against us, but we made him 10x better than he was. Part of the reason we lost that game too is because Mac fell apart and I think it was one of the few times Sims allowed a run. He played great but we did everything we could to help them.

Oh I want to face him because we're a completely different team since that game and also I want their team to face a more full DNF. They played us with no one there and no pressure. He definitely shoved it on us and I want the chance to return the favor.

Homedawg
05-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Just my opinion.

I understand either could beat us. But here's mine line of thinking, you get to play them in game two w your best guy-Bednar- on the hill. They would both be going with their second best guy bc their opening game would be tough. If, we were to lose game 2 we have the depth to come out of losers bracket. If we win game 2, which we should, but anything is possible in this game, neither of them is coming out of loser's bracket to beat us. I just like the matchups of both myself.

confucius say
05-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Tulane didn't see Bednar right? Advantage us since we saw all their best guys and they'd be facing Bednar in game 2

KOdawg1
05-05-2021, 11:27 AM
Tulane didn't see Bednar right? Advantage us since we saw all their best guys and they'd be facing Bednar in game 2

I didn't think of that. I forgot he still had his neck problems when we faced them.

KOdawg1
05-05-2021, 11:29 AM
I understand either could beat us. But here's mine line of thinking, you get to play them in game two w your best guy-Bednar- on the hill. They would both be going with their second best guy bc their opening game would be tough. If, we were to lose game 2 we have the depth to come out of losers bracket. If we win game 2, which we should, but anything is possible in this game, neither of them is coming out of loser's bracket to beat us. I just like the matchups of both myself.

Yeah it makes sense. I just don't like playing teams you've already played bc the team that lost always seems more motivated. The same reason I would like our chances vs. Arkansas if we play them again. We're definitely set up perfectly to navigate a regional though with our depth.

Homedawg
05-05-2021, 11:31 AM
I didn't think of that. I forgot he still had his neck problems when we faced them.

I forgot about that as well.

StarkVegasSteve
05-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Yeah it makes sense. I just don't like playing teams you've already played bc the team that lost always seems more motivated. The same reason I would like our chances vs. Arkansas if we play them again. We're definitely set up perfectly to navigate a regional though with our depth.

If we can get Arky in Omaha I like our chances. OM and Arky are at a disadvantage if they make it to Omaha because balls die in Omaha that get out of other parks. Add on to that Arky has shaky at best bullpen depth outside of Kopps and it's a recipe for a quick exit in Omaha if you catch a bad matchup and no wind.