PDA

View Full Version : Spivey to the portal

William Tecumsah Sherman
04-30-2021, 03:06 PM
Per Rosebowl

Johnson85
04-30-2021, 03:14 PM
Per Rosebowl

Well shit. I thought this was going to be a good system for him. Was he not looking to be in the mix for receivers? Or just feels like he's better suited to be a traditional TE?

Hambone
04-30-2021, 03:23 PM
He wasn’t guaranteed a lot of playing time. Other receivers have emerged in front of him

NCDawg
04-30-2021, 03:23 PM
Per Rosebowl

Wish William Tecumsah Sherman would go to the portal. That guy killed a lot of Mississippi people during the civil war, not to mention burning cities, destroying crops, etc. Shouldn't be honoring his name, especially in Mississippi, whether you are a Yankee or not.

maroonmania
04-30-2021, 03:33 PM
Per Rosebowl

Well, there goes the brightest spot from the Spring game.

BeardoMSU
04-30-2021, 03:35 PM
Wish William Tecumsah Sherman would go to the portal. That guy killed a lot of Mississippi people during the civil war, not to mention burning cities, destroying crops, etc. Shouldn't be honoring his name, especially in Mississippi, whether you are a Yankee or not.

Lol, what?!

Glad he did what he did. His campaign helped end the war sooner and save the Union.

NCDawg
04-30-2021, 03:47 PM
Lol, what?!

Glad he did what he did. His campaign helped end the war sooner and save the Union.

Not surprised you would feel that way, judging from your location in Massachusetts. Strange you would be a MS State fan, if you really are.

Jack Lambert
04-30-2021, 03:53 PM
Lol, what?!

He did not have to do that. Once Vicksburg fell it was over. Just a matter of time. Add in Grant sacrificing 1000's of men in Virginia to willow Lee army down. All the burning did not have to happen. Once Lee surrender all the other Confederate Armies in the field joined in. Really why burn Brandon?

William Tecumsah Sherman
04-30-2021, 04:02 PM
I use Sherman cause he burnt the Rebels to the ground....just a little play towards our rivals

BeardoMSU
04-30-2021, 04:17 PM
Not surprised you would feel that way, judging from your location in Massachusetts. Strange you would be a MS State fan, if you really are.

Lol, ok. Prior to moving here in 2016, I lived in Starkville the previous 16 years, and had lived in MS almost my entire life (Tishomingo Co., Greenville/Winterville, and the coast), but sure, I'm just a giant poser.

BeardoMSU
04-30-2021, 04:23 PM
He wasn’t guaranteed a lot of playing time. Other receivers have emerged in front of him

Like who?

Bothrops
04-30-2021, 04:45 PM
This hurts honestly and reels back on our redzone scoring ability. Ridiculous

Dolphus Raymond
04-30-2021, 05:03 PM
I love General Sherman and his beard...

Hambone
04-30-2021, 06:07 PM
Polk and Ducking mainly

SailingDawg
04-30-2021, 06:46 PM

I?ll defend a Massachusetts Bulldog as my lifelong friend hosted me for the UMass game a few years ago. There?s a few Bulldogs up there.

bobtail bob
04-30-2021, 06:59 PM
I love General Sherman and his beard...

I always thought it looked kind of dirty. Like the scraggly hair on the ass a dirty,sickly black bear.

BiscuitEater
04-30-2021, 10:08 PM
Well shit. I thought this was going to be a good system for him.

3 total catches for 32 yards last year in the 'system!'

Thick
04-30-2021, 11:12 PM
I have never understood the love for Spivey. He dropped more red zone balls then he caught, and he had a tendency to fumble and make bad decisions blocking down field.

MaroonFlounder
04-30-2021, 11:44 PM
I have never understood the love for Spivey. He dropped more red zone balls then he caught, and he had a tendency to fumble and make bad decisions blocking down field.

Ducking had a drop in the spring game that was right in his hands.

He may not be the pass catcher we hoped for**

Bdawg
04-30-2021, 11:49 PM
This hurts honestly and reels back on our redzone scoring ability. Ridiculous

All I remember were the drops that could have been big gainers. Don't think he will be missed too much IMO.

R2Dawg
05-01-2021, 07:56 AM

No one is guaranteed but Spivey was one of few bright spots in spring game. Very disappointing. He was going to be a breakout player this year. Figures.

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2021, 08:06 AM
This is a nothing burger. Move along.

He has almost as many penalty yards on his career as receiving yards and he can't catch.

R2Dawg
05-01-2021, 08:14 AM
This is a nothing burger. Move along.

He has almost as many penalty yards on his career as receiving yards and he can't catch.

Maybe but in a pass happy O, it ain't a nothing burger. He was the only WR that showed he could high point the football and go get it over a DB in spring game. He was the go to guy in the red zone. Not saying we have a losing season over it, but it is a loss.

What he has done in his career has nothing to do with what he showed in spring game.

thf24
05-01-2021, 08:55 AM
No one is guaranteed but Spivey was one of few bright spots in spring game. Very disappointing. He was going to be a breakout player this year. Figures.

Assuming a player is going to break out based on the spring game is historically a pretty bad bet.

It is disappointing since he has an interesting skill set, but the fact of the matter is he was passed by multiple guys who the coaches think can do what this offense needs them to do better.

And a guy who habitually struggles with drops usually doesn't get any better, for any of a multitude of reasons. The odds were against him on that front too, regardless of what he did in the spring game.

Hambone
05-01-2021, 09:24 AM
Anyone remember Austin Williams? Spring game break out player two years in a row......

Spivey will be easily replaced.

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2021, 09:26 AM
Maybe but in a pass happy O, it ain't a nothing burger. He was the only WR that showed he could high point the football and go get it over a DB in spring game. He was the go to guy in the red zone. Not saying we have a losing season over it, but it is a loss.

What he has done in his career has nothing to do with what he showed in spring game.

I'll lean on his track record rather than the way YOU, yes you a non-talent evaluator, thought he looked in a split squad Spring game.

Todd4State
05-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Anyone remember Austin Williams? Spring game break out player two years in a row......

I seriously don't get the Austin Williams hate. If I'm throwing the ball I'd much rather go to him than Stephen Guidry or Osiris. At least he catches the ball.

BuckyIsAB****
05-01-2021, 12:03 PM
Well, there goes the brightest spot from the Spring game.

He had a bad spring. Cant catch the ball consistently. Wasnt going to start

BuckyIsAB****
05-01-2021, 12:04 PM
I'll lean on his track record rather than the way YOU, yes you a non-talent evaluator, thought he looked in a split squad Spring game.

It is a nothing burger. Spivey runs on the side of his feet and it makes the ball bounce when he runs, thus he cant catch the ball well

BuckyIsAB****
05-01-2021, 12:05 PM
Seen it many times especially in TEs

Hambone
05-01-2021, 12:28 PM
I seriously don't get the Austin Williams hate. If I'm throwing the ball I'd much rather go to him than Stephen Guidry or Osiris. At least he catches the ball.

I didn’t mean that to come across as hate. I only meant that after the previous two spring games a lot of people thought Austin was going to be our leading receiver due to his “impressive spring games”

I agree with you, he is very sure handed and can be trusted.

R2Dawg
05-01-2021, 01:00 PM

He has no track record because he hasn't played much, got caught between coaches, TE and WR, etc. He is talented and everyone on here raved about him early on.

There you go gun, when you got no facts or information you do like the ignorant do - resort to insults and name calling. Gun your true colors are really ugly.

Do you know what I do for a living?

Do you know how many decades I've played, coached, watched sports? I've done all these by the way at one time. I've competed head to head against two SEC freshmen of the year players. What you got?

If you could read and comprehend you'd see what I said it ain't going to make or break us but it is more than an nothing burger.

As Gump said, you can't fix stupid.

R2Dawg
05-01-2021, 01:02 PM

Austin Williams has been solid, not all SEC but solid. I don't understand the hate either. I remember many years ago we had a bench WR under Croom that made an NFL squad. Forget his name. He was surehanded and solid. You just never know.

chef dixon
05-01-2021, 01:06 PM
He can't catch

Madisonmd
05-01-2021, 01:21 PM
Austin Williams has been solid, not all SEC but solid. I don't understand the hate either. I remember many years ago we had a bench WR under Croom that made an NFL squad. Forget his name. He was surehanded and solid. You just never know.

Lance Long??

OLJWales
05-01-2021, 02:56 PM
Lol, what?!

He did NOT save the Union. The war was OVER. His campaign was nothing more than blood lust and he should not be considered ANY kind of hero. Glad the Union was saved but Sherman was a piece of shit.

Bothrops
05-01-2021, 04:20 PM

Williams has made chain moving catches and td's. Not sure why he gets a bad rap. Spivey could be replaced, but we don't if there will be an upgrade yet.

BeardoMSU
05-01-2021, 06:32 PM
He did NOT save the Union. The war was OVER. His campaign was nothing more than blood lust and he should not be considered ANY kind of hero. Glad the Union was saved but Sherman was a piece of shit.

Vicksburg surrendered July 4th 1863 (a day after Gettysburg), and the war continued for almost another 2 years. After Sherman's march, the war continued nearly another 5 months (Nov 15th: start of his "march to the sea"; April 9th: Lee surrendered at Appomattox); that's not "OVER". Maybe Sherman (really Grant, since it was he giving the orders) knew they were dealing with an enemy that would continue the fight until it was made abundantly clear it would be suicide to do so. War is hell.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-01-2021, 09:20 PM
Vicksburg surrendered July 4th 1863 (a day after Gettysburg), and the war continued for almost another 2 years. After Sherman's march, the war continued nearly another 5 months (Nov 15th: start of his "march to the sea"; April 9th: Lee surrendered at Appomattox); that's not "OVER". Maybe Sherman (really Grant, since it was he giving the orders) knew they were dealing with an enemy that would continue the fight until it was made abundantly clear it would be suicide to do so. War is hell.

Seriously. These arguments are saying "Strategically the south lost, so the North should have besieged them for years until the South admitted it was over".

I wonder if these posters feel that way about dropping the bombs on Japan. Yet most everyone here (myself included) will agree with the decision to nuke them and end the war quicker.

"Ripping the bandaid off and ending the war is kinder", "Conventional bombings would have resulted in even more deaths overall", "it's not our job to have American troops die so Japanese civilians can be spared; they can surrender if they don't want to be bombed", "you don't call the dogs off till the white flag goes up"... all these justifications apply just as much to Shermans March as it does to dropping the A-bomb. So Sherman burned civilian homes to destroy the Conferacies ability to wage war... what the heck do you think the entire allied bombing strategy during ww2 was? We literally firebombed cities.

And as for condemning Shermans March because of the excessive evils that went on (rape, needless murder, etc)... just remember that that happens in EVERY war by EVERY side. There's F'ed up stuff US troops did in Korea, doesn't make the whole opperaton immoral. And There's zero evidence SHerman, Grant, Lincoln, Hooker etc ever encouraged such behaviors either

Todd4State
05-01-2021, 11:12 PM
I didn’t mean that to come across as hate. I only meant that after the previous two spring games a lot of people thought Austin was going to be our leading receiver due to his “impressive spring games”

I agree with you, he is very sure handed and can be trusted.

Honestly, based on how some of the "starters" performed at WR Austin probably should have started. But Joe Moorhead was an idiot.

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2021, 11:23 PM
It is a nothing burger. Spivey runs on the side of his feet and it makes the ball bounce when he runs, thus he cant catch the ball well

Interesting

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2021, 11:24 PM
He has no track record because he hasn't played much, got caught between coaches, TE and WR, etc. He is talented and everyone on here raved about him early on.

There you go gun, when you got no facts or information you do like the ignorant do - resort to insults and name calling. Gun your true colors are really ugly.

Do you know how many decades I've played, coached, watched sports? I've done all these by the way at one time. I've competed head to head against two SEC freshmen of the year players. What you got?

If you could read and comprehend you'd see what I said it ain't going to make or break us but it is more than an nothing burger.

He can't catch

RiverCityDawg
05-02-2021, 08:00 AM

Spivey played plenty, he started the last half of the season last year. He got half of his career production in one game and otherwise was a complete non-factor other than when he was dropping balls in big moments or getting penalties.

He knew Ducking was probably going to overtake him now that he's eligible, and once Polk was added to the roster the writing was on the wall.

HoopsDawg
05-02-2021, 12:58 PM
seems we have Polk, Heath, Tulu and Ducking on the 2 deep at outside receiver. That should be good enough.

Bothrops
05-02-2021, 08:18 PM
seems we have Polk, Heath, Tulu and Ducking on the 2 deep at outside receiver. That should be good enough.

Three of those guys haven't had a chance to do a thing in this offense yet.

HoopsDawg
05-02-2021, 08:33 PM
Three of those guys haven't had a chance to do a thing in this offense yet.

Spivey didn't do anything either.

Hambone
05-02-2021, 08:53 PM
But he had a great spring game!

Johnson85
05-03-2021, 01:05 PM

Did Shotgun hack your account? WTF does that even mean?

Bothrops
05-04-2021, 12:39 AM
Spivey didn't do anything either.

He caught some contested passes. Our receivers are gonna have to find a way to catch contested balls as the season goes on.

bulldawg28
05-04-2021, 08:55 AM

It means hopefully he was drunk when he posted this.

Cooterpoot
05-04-2021, 09:29 AM
He caught some contested passes. Our receivers are gonna have to find a way to catch contested balls as the season goes on.

He was one of the leaders in drops per targets.

Commercecomet24
05-04-2021, 10:37 AM
He was one of the leaders in drops per targets.

This and he wasn't much of a blocker either. He whiffed numerous times, especially on those bubble screens.

BuckyIsAB****
05-04-2021, 06:41 PM

If you run on the side of your feet, and you are looking at the ball it makes the ball seem to move more than it does. It makes it harder to see/track. It happens a lot in bigger guys

Spivey has one good play in his career here other than that he has had more penalties and drops than anything else. I was high on him early bc he does have some fight in him but it just was not working.

BuckyIsAB****
05-04-2021, 06:42 PM
So if Spivey is running a dig route over the middle and the ball is coming to him the way he runs is going to make the ball more difficult to track. Just facts

BuckyIsAB****
05-04-2021, 06:44 PM
Go outside and run as fast as you can on the sides of your feet and see. It happens a lot to TEs. I have seen it a lot. Its why most bow legged kids dont play WR

bulldawg28
05-05-2021, 09:25 AM
Go outside and run as fast as you can on the sides of your feet and see. It happens a lot to TEs. I have seen it a lot. Its why most bow legged kids dont play WR

Whatttttttttt?

Percho
05-05-2021, 10:33 AM
If you run on the side of your feet, and you are looking at the ball it makes the ball seem to move more than it does. It makes it harder to see/track. It happens a lot in bigger guys

Spivey has one good play in his career here other than that he has had more penalties and drops than anything else. I was high on him early bc he does have some fight in him but it just was not working.

Would you hold your I phone, run and post the vid?*

BTW I'm to old or I would.

OLJWales
05-05-2021, 11:51 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/L86QBY8J/WTF-Eddie-Murphy.jpg

FISHDAWG
05-05-2021, 01:21 PM
Whatttttttttt?

yeah that's a head scratcher ... it takes a special talent to out run a bow-legged athlete

BeardoMSU
05-05-2021, 02:00 PM
Whatttttttttt?

https://imagearchive.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2F68.media.tumblr.com%2 F3c43fd579397511d22930c6b705655c7%2Ftumblr_o7ez3yp MDQ1qfr6udo1_500.gif&hash=94d1e63a1e25ee82428d0dd7c4a13f47

R2Dawg
05-05-2021, 03:52 PM
But he had a great spring game!

There are example after example of players that had good springs and showed out their senior year. That was my only point that so many have taken out of context.

Preston Smith had done nothing his whole career till his senior year. What did Jordan Thomas ever do in a game other than look good walking out. Everyone talked about him all preseason but he really didn't do anything and dropped a lot of balls too. Didn't stop many from slobbering all over him.

Spring game is the closest thing we have to seeing guys in game situations and he high pointed the ball at least twice in endzone for a TD. One was called out of bounds but he caught the ball. Never said he was our best receiver or was going to make all SEC. No one on the roster showed what he did in the entire spring game.

Some of yall just love to argue and create an issue when there isn't one.

RiverCityDawg
05-06-2021, 02:36 PM
There are example after example of players that had good springs and showed out their senior year. That was my only point that so many have taken out of context.

Preston Smith had done nothing his whole career till his senior year. What did Jordan Thomas ever do in a game other than look good walking out. Everyone talked about him all preseason but he really didn't do anything and dropped a lot of balls too. Didn't stop many from slobbering all over him.

Spring game is the closest thing we have to seeing guys in game situations and he high pointed the ball at least twice in endzone for a TD. One was called out of bounds but he caught the ball. Never said he was our best receiver or was going to make all SEC. No one on the roster showed what he did in the entire spring game.

Some of yall just love to argue and create an issue when there isn't one.

Not sure what you expect on a message board. You had a hot take that he was going to be a breakout player, you said he was "the red zone threat", and you said it wasn't a nothing burger, with all of this seemingly based on two(ish) catches in a spring game since you dismissed his performance in actual games. No one is "creating an issue", just disagreeing with your premise and the reasoning.