PDA

View Full Version : Why is MSU issuing a statement on the George Floyd Case?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-20-2021, 10:20 PM
https://www.msstate.edu/newsroom/article/2021/04/msu-issues-statement-derek-chauvin-verdict

Bothrops
04-20-2021, 10:22 PM
I guess other schools are doing likewise?

BeardoMSU
04-20-2021, 10:29 PM
Well, many if not most colleges are doing the same, plus MSU having one of the largest percentages (the most maybe?) of black students in the SEC just might play a factor too. Right or wrong, people care about this issue.

This thread will end well.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-20-2021, 10:33 PM
Well, many if not most colleges are doing the same, plus MSU having one of the largest percentages (the most maybe?) of black students in the SEC just might play a factor too. Right or wrong, people care about this issue.

This thread will end well.

Do you have a beacon that alerts you to anything political thread? I imagine you fly in singing the Mighty Mouse theme song.

BayouDawg
04-20-2021, 10:35 PM
At least the statement wasnt a complete fail like the raiders tweet.

BeardoMSU
04-20-2021, 10:37 PM
Do you have a beacon that alerts you to anything political thread? I imagine you fly in singing the Mighty Mouse theme song.

Lol, no. I just happened to be up working/watching the baseball game/posting on the board. I'm sorry my answer to your question ruffled your feathers.

BeardoMSU
04-20-2021, 10:40 PM
At least the statement wasnt a complete fail like the raiders tweet.

Or Nancy's "thanks for dying" statement. I mean, Holy. Shit...people just need to say "Thank you to the American justice system" and call it day.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-20-2021, 10:42 PM
Lol, no. I just happened to be up working/watching the baseball game/posting on the board. I'm sorry my answer to your question ruffled your feathers.

No feathers ruffled lol just an observation over numerous political threads and input. There's several posters who can be lumped into other topics so don't feel special.

BeardoMSU
04-20-2021, 10:48 PM
so don't feel special.

Hey, my kids think I'm special!**

BayouDawg
04-20-2021, 10:53 PM
Or Nancy's "thanks for dying" statement. I mean, Holy. Shit...people just need to say "Thank you to the American justice system" and call it day.

Did Xancy really say that? Just when I think he cant possibly get any dumber

Dawgcap
04-20-2021, 10:55 PM
Hey, my kids think I'm special!**

Mine think I’m special also!! Ain’t it great!

Dawgcap
04-20-2021, 10:58 PM
Hope I can become as good as they are! I’m growing everyday!

skadoosh14
04-20-2021, 11:04 PM
Seems like a good statement to me. A man was murdered for using counterfeit money. It was not warranted. The murder was not without negligence.

bulldawg28
04-21-2021, 04:21 AM
Mississippi state university did the right thing by making a statement. The university is a learning institution not a sports complex complex. There's a difference between this fantasy board of sports and real life issues occurring in the world.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-21-2021, 06:46 AM
Mississippi state university did the right thing by making a statement. The university is a learning institution not a sports complex complex. There's a difference between this fantasy board of sports and real life issues occurring in the world.

An ex-NFL player murdered 6 people recently. It’s also a real life issue. Can you link MSU’s statement on the murder? I can’t find it but I’m confident it’s out there. Thanks in advance.

Offshore Dawg
04-21-2021, 07:10 AM
Did Xancy really say that? Just when I think he cant possibly get any dumber

Wrong Nancy, try Pelosi

confucius say
04-21-2021, 07:14 AM
It's not a difficult issue. He committed a crime, was charged, and convicted. The system worked. It works every day in thousands of cases.
The issue I have with keenum is his virtue signaling, i.e., labeling it a "difficult issue" and making the whole story about racism. Chauvin may be a racist. I have no idea. Neither does keenum. Neither do any of you. We don't know if it was a race issue or not. But we all know it was a crime and a criminal issue.

bulldawg28
04-21-2021, 07:33 AM
An ex-NFL player murdered 6 people recently. It’s also a real life issue. Can you link MSU’s statement on the murder? I can’t find it but I’m confident it’s out there. Thanks in advance.

Do you really want to get into "stories"? I can go there with you and could easily up you EVERY time.

Saltydog
04-21-2021, 07:43 AM
Because it's the PC thing to do. Major industries are doing the same thing. CEO's are putting out statements left and right and not doing so is seen as a sign of non compliance. That's it in a nutshell.

Extendedcab
04-21-2021, 07:56 AM
It's not a difficult issue. He committed a crime, was charged, and convicted. The system worked. It works every day in thousands of cases.
The issue I have with keenum is his virtue signaling, i.e., labeling it a "difficult issue" and making the whole story about racism. Chauvin may be a racist. I have no idea. Neither does keenum. Neither do any of you. We don't know if it was a race issue or not. But we all know it was a crime and a criminal issue.

A liberal attorney thinks the verdict was pressured by politics. He has no confidence that this verdict was produced by due process and the rule of law. See below for his interview.

Legal scholar Alan Dershowitz said he was doubtful that the Derek Chauvin guilty verdict was a product of due process and the rule of law. Instead, he pronounced the verdict the result of "outside influences."

''I have no real confidence that this verdict, which may be correct in some ways, but I have no confidence that this verdict was produced by due process and the rule of law, rather than the influence of the crowd," Dershowitz said on Tuesday’s edition of ''Spicer & Co.'' on Newsmax TV.

The ''outside influences of Al Sharpton and Maxine Waters,'' he said, was like the ''sword of Damocles hanging over the jury,'' and that they were ''basically saying [indirectly to the jury] if you don't convict on the murder charge and all the charges, the cities will burn, the country will be destroyed.''

Prior to Tuesday's guilty verdict in the Chauvin case, Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., said at a demonstration in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, ''If nothing does not happen, then we know that we’ve got to not only stay in the street, but we’ve got to fight for justice.''

She added: ''We’ve got to get more active. We’ve got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business,'' as the Los Angeles Times reported.

At a press conference in Minneapolis on Monday, the Rev. Al Sharpton, a civil rights figure who has been conferring with the Floyd family, called George Floyd's death "a lynching by knee." He added, "America is on trial," said CNN.

Dershowitz previously told Newsmax TV that recent comments made by Waters concerning the Chauvin trial were equivalent to ''putting not only a thumb but an elbow on the scales of justice.''

On Tuesday, Dershowitz said their ''threats and intimidation … seeped into the jury room,'' and ''the judge made a terrible mistake by not sequestering the jury so the judge himself said this case may be reversed on appeal.''

Jurors must have feared for their lives while deliberating the verdict, Dershowitz said.

''The fears, the threats — every juror in that room knew about these threats and when they sit, deliberate, they have to be saying to themselves, consciously or unconsciously, 'If I render a verdict other than a murder verdict, what will the consequences be for me, my family, my friends, my business.' That should never, ever be allowed to seep into a jury room,'' he emphasized.

''I can criticize Waters, I can criticize Sharpton," he said. "These folks took what they did right out of the playbook of the Deep South in the 1920s when prominent public officials would whoop up the crowds in front of the courthouse, demanding conviction of Black people or acquittal of white people.

''Jurors should not be intimidated or influenced by what goes on outside the courtroom,'' Dershowitz said.

KentuckyDawg13
04-21-2021, 08:11 AM
Newsmax is almost as fraudulent as fox news. What a joke of an article.

Extendedcab
04-21-2021, 08:14 AM

They quote the liberal attorney's thoughts - it is a direct interview. It is not hearsay or 3rd party interpretation like other channels we all know.

msstate7
04-21-2021, 08:17 AM
I didn't listen/watch any of the trial, so I have no idea if the jury was correct. I do know this - you'd have to be damn brave to say not guilty.

bulldawg28
04-21-2021, 08:20 AM
A liberal attorney thinks the verdict was pressured by politics. He has no confidence that this verdict was produced by due process and the rule of law. See below for his interview.

Legal scholar Alan Dershowitz said he was doubtful that the Derek Chauvin guilty verdict was a product of due process and the rule of law. Instead, he pronounced the verdict the result of "outside influences."

''I have no real confidence that this verdict, which may be correct in some ways, but I have no confidence that this verdict was produced by due process and the rule of law, rather than the influence of the crowd," Dershowitz said on Tuesday?s edition of ''Spicer & Co.'' on Newsmax TV.

The ''outside influences of Al Sharpton and Maxine Waters,'' he said, was like the ''sword of Damocles hanging over the jury,'' and that they were ''basically saying [indirectly to the jury] if you don't convict on the murder charge and all the charges, the cities will burn, the country will be destroyed.''

Prior to Tuesday's guilty verdict in the Chauvin case, Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., said at a demonstration in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, ''If nothing does not happen, then we know that we?ve got to not only stay in the street, but we?ve got to fight for justice.''

She added: ''We?ve got to get more active. We?ve got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business,'' as the Los Angeles Times reported.

At a press conference in Minneapolis on Monday, the Rev. Al Sharpton, a civil rights figure who has been conferring with the Floyd family, called George Floyd's death "a lynching by knee." He added, "America is on trial," said CNN.

Dershowitz previously told Newsmax TV that recent comments made by Waters concerning the Chauvin trial were equivalent to ''putting not only a thumb but an elbow on the scales of justice.''

On Tuesday, Dershowitz said their ''threats and intimidation ? seeped into the jury room,'' and ''the judge made a terrible mistake by not sequestering the jury so the judge himself said this case may be reversed on appeal.''

Jurors must have feared for their lives while deliberating the verdict, Dershowitz said.

''The fears, the threats ? every juror in that room knew about these threats and when they sit, deliberate, they have to be saying to themselves, consciously or unconsciously, 'If I render a verdict other than a murder verdict, what will the consequences be for me, my family, my friends, my business.' That should never, ever be allowed to seep into a jury room,'' he emphasized.

''I can criticize Waters, I can criticize Sharpton," he said. "These folks took what they did right out of the playbook of the Deep South in the 1920s when prominent public officials would whoop up the crowds in front of the courthouse, demanding conviction of Black people or acquittal of white people.

''Jurors should not be intimidated or influenced by what goes on outside the courtroom,'' Dershowitz said.

The same concept can be said due most people give police the benefit of the doubt. A lot of people associate policemen and patriotism together. There is a difference between the two and it's great to see a separation of the two.

bulldawg28
04-21-2021, 08:21 AM
I didn't listen/watch any of the trial, so I have no idea if the jury was correct. I do know this - you'd have to be damn brave to say not guilty.

Or blind

Dolphus Raymond
04-21-2021, 08:24 AM
Releasing a statement was the correct thing to do.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-21-2021, 08:25 AM
I'm assuming Chauvin is guilty. He had a trial and the jurors spoke. So be it.

My point is that it is Keenum's responsibility to run Mississippi State University. Keenum doesn't live in Minnesota, he doesn't run the police force in Minnesota, he wasn't on the jury in Minnesota. So he really doesn't have a dog in the hunt. But in the time he dealt with the press release, he could have instead answered several emails I sent him directly concerning something about Mississippi State University.

If a Boeing 747 crashes, I would assume Boeing would issue a statement, and I assume the airline would issue a statement, and I assume the National Transportation and Safety Board would issue as statement. But I don't know why the local Co-Op in Waynesboro, Mississippi would issue a statement about a Boeing 747 crashing.

Extendedcab
04-21-2021, 08:26 AM

My point is that it is Keenum's responsibility to run Mississippi State University. Keenum doesn't live in Minnesota, he doesn't run the police force in Minnesota, he wasn't on the jury in Minnesota. So he really doesn't have a dog in the hunt. But in the time he dealt with the press release, he could have instead answered several emails I sent him directly concerning something about Mississippi State University.

If a Boeing 747 crashes, I would assume Boeing would issue a statement, and I assume the airline would issue a statement, and I assume the National Transportation and Safety Board would issue as statement. But I don't know why the local Co-Op in Waynesboro, Mississippi would issue a statement about a Boeing 747 crashing.

This^^^

msstate7
04-21-2021, 08:27 AM
Or blind

Now I do think the correct conviction should've been murder 3, not murder 2.

Johnson85
04-21-2021, 08:39 AM

You must not know who Alan Dershowitz is. He is an actual liberal (as in believes in due process, free speech, minority rights, etc.). I don't know anything about Newsmax, but that's not surprising that Dershowitz would make those statements.

Incidentally, he's absolutely correct. Based on the video, it looks likely that Chauvin was guilty of at least manslaughter (just because somebody is likely or even surely dying from something else, doesn't mean you're off the hook for contributing or accelerating it), but this was a show trial. Venue should have been changed to begin with. I don't really believe in sequestering jurors, but by normal standards, they should have been sequestered. IN a better society, Maxine Waters would be disqualified from public office, but that's not anything new.

Johnson85
04-21-2021, 08:48 AM

No, they didn't, just from PR perspective. It's not MSU's job to jump in on every controversy they're not a part of. Has Keenum made a statement about the forced labor and potential genocide of Uighurs? I can't find it, which makes me think Keenum doesn't care about mistreatment of them because they are Muslim? Mississippi State has as much to do with Uighurs in China as George Floyd in Minnesota. We have a lot of Asian students at Mississippi State. Has Keenum made a statement about them being discriminated against in college admissions? That's at least relevant to MSU (although MSU likely doesn't have much influence over admission standards at top flight universities). Does Keenum support discrimination against Asians? Seems like he must. Unless we just have shitty, shitty, PR advisors.

Like the kind that would advise you to reignite a non-controversy by issuing a statement after it has already died down.

Hot Rock
04-21-2021, 08:48 AM
I am the son of a law enforcement officer of over 30 years in MS and former WWII(1942-1945) armored infantry & Korean Conflict. He fought hand to hand across Africa, Italy, southern France, Belgium, into Alps and crossed Rhine river with Patton. He was the first man to open the gates of Dachau concentration camp and a nearby internment camp for POW's. I am as patriotic as it comes and bleed red, white and blue and I say:

George Floyd's murderer was found guilty and the University made a statement. I think it's good because it needs to be made clear that we have a problem.

I believe that if there had been no video evidence, not one thing would have been done. Even after the video, we have people defending this murderer, which I find sickening.

We cannot begin to figure out a solution until enough of us acknowledge that we have a real problem.

I say, this is a problem that cannot be solved as long we remain divided along Conservative and Liberal lines.

BrunswickDawg
04-21-2021, 08:53 AM

He is speaking to the student body more than anyone. A student body that made it pretty clear this was an issue that was important to them. It was a responsible "we listen to our students concerns" moment and releasing a statement is the right thing to do. Us agreeing or disagreeing with it is immaterial.

Liverpooldawg
04-21-2021, 08:56 AM
What Sharpton and Waters did was give Chauvin some pretty solid footing for an appeal, when he had none otherwise. They are idiots.

confucius say
04-21-2021, 08:57 AM
I am the son of a law enforcement officer of over 30 years in MS and former WWII(1942-1945) armored infantry & Korean Conflict. He fought hand to hand across Africa, Italy, southern France, Belgium, into Alps and crossed Rhine river with Patton. He was the first man to open the gates of Dachau concentration camp and a nearby internment camp for POW's. I am as patriotic as it comes and bleed red, white and blue and I say:

George Floyd's murderer was found guilty and the University made a statement. I think it's good because it needs to be made clear that we have a problem.

I believe that if there had been no video evidence, not one thing would have been done. Even after the video, we have people defending this murderer, which I find sickening.

We cannot begin to figure out a solution until enough of us acknowledge that we have a real problem.

I say, this is a problem that cannot be solved as long we remain divided along Conservative and Liberal lines.

Then the statement should have been about the problem represented by this case-excessive force by police resulting in murder. That was the problem addressed by the jury in its verdict. Instead, the statement was about the "difficult issue" of racism, when keenum (or us) has no idea if racism motivated chauvin. It could have, but there was no evidence presented of that.

Matt3467
04-21-2021, 08:59 AM
You must not know who Alan Dershowitz is. He is an actual liberal (as in believes in due process, free speech, minority rights, etc.). I don't know anything about Newsmax, but that's not surprising that Dershowitz would make those statements.

Incidentally, he's absolutely correct. Based on the video, it looks likely that Chauvin was guilty of at least manslaughter (just because somebody is likely or even surely dying from something else, doesn't mean you're off the hook for contributing or accelerating it), but this was a show trial. Venue should have been changed to begin with. I don't really believe in sequestering jurors, but by normal standards, they should have been sequestered. IN a better society, Maxine Waters would be disqualified from public office, but that's not anything new.

Don't forget about the "journalist" caught taking pictures in the courtroom. Add all of the other public figures and officials including our president making suggestive statements and there's an outside shot at this being reversed. Also I'm sure BLM posturing and threatening to burn the city down didn't help either.

Johnson85
04-21-2021, 09:02 AM

ETA: actually responded to something you didn't say, but will leave it here b/c I'm too lazy to delete and move it.

ETA II: You are correct that treating it as a conservative/liberal issue makes it difficult to approach reasonably (and doesn't even make sense; if it were going to be conservative/liberal, conservatives should be arguing for police accountability and liberals for more state power); but I think treating it as a race issue rather than a police accountability (particularly dealing with lower socioeconomic status and therefore politically powerless people) helps ensure nothing productive can be done because people rightly recognize it's not really a race issue

We can't figure out a solution while people are misidentifying a problem. We have a problem with holding police accountable. It is actually a difficult problem to draw the line between acknowledging that police officers cannot be perfect in making split second decisions and should not be held criminally liable for every mistake but also ensuring that they are held to a high standard. But we do an awful job of it in general ("we", meaning lots of different jurisdictions around the United States, which makes it harder to fix because you really need to fix it at best state by state, but also really LEO agency by LEO agency).

But you seem to just be assuming that race is what drives it. Explain to me how race allowed this police officer to walk away with a pension after shooting an unarmed person begging for his life and following their commands? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/us/police-shooting-video-arizona.html

Then explain how you know racism is what drove the treatment of George Floyd, as opposed to just unfortunately typical relationships and power dynamics between LEOs and drug addicts, homeless, and just lower socioeconomic status persons.

Saltydog
04-21-2021, 09:02 AM
Uh, Dershowitz is one of the best, if not the best, legal minds in this country. Just for shits and giggles, he's also a huge liberal. You don't watch much news do you?

confucius say
04-21-2021, 09:04 AM
He is speaking to the student body more than anyone. A student body that made it pretty clear this was an issue that was important to them. It was a responsible "we listen to our students concerns" moment and releasing a statement is the right thing to do. Us agreeing or disagreeing with it is immaterial.

Fair point. But the statement should address what the facts revealed-excessive force resulting in death. Keenum's statement made it 100% a race issue.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-21-2021, 09:06 AM
IMO Chauvin murdered Floyd. But what in the hell did race have to do with it?

Saltydog
04-21-2021, 09:09 AM
Was George Floyd's murder unnecessary, absolutely but so was Tim Timpa's. Why wasn't any of this on the liberal news outlets?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-timpa-disturbing-video-shows-dallas-officers-joking-as-they-restrain-man-who-died/

Johnson85
04-21-2021, 09:14 AM

Aside from Keenum making it a race issue without saying why he thought Chauvin was motivated by racism, it's also a losing proposition to address things just because an issue is important to the student body (really more likely a vocal part of the student body). It's pretty clear that on college campuses in general, the most vocal students don't need encouragement to work themselves into a low grade mental illness over issues in the news. If they are concerned about an issue, they should actually do work to try to improve it beyond just having a public meltdown or a meltdown on social media.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-21-2021, 09:17 AM

I guess this is where we disagree. I don't think a university should be everything to everyone. I think it is there to educate. If a student has concerns over a class, then Keenum should listen. But if a student has an issue related to something that is none of the university's business, then I would have no problem with Keenum saying "that is not under my jurisdiction". That's my personal opinion.

Student: "I'm having a problem with the heat in my dorm room"
Keenum: "Tell me more so I can handle it"
Student: "I bought a battery for my car at AutoZone in Columbus and they gave me the wrong one"
Keenum: "You will need to take that up with Autozone"

Quaoarsking
04-21-2021, 09:19 AM
Was George Floyd's murder unnecessary, absolutely but so was Tim Timpa's. Why wasn't any of this on the liberal news outlets?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-timpa-disturbing-video-shows-dallas-officers-joking-as-they-restrain-man-who-died/

You ask as you link to an article about the case from a "liberal news outlet"

Cooterpoot
04-21-2021, 09:55 AM
Why do people worry about this kind of stuff? I'd say people worry about too much stupid stuff these days. I don't even keep up with statements from the school. Never saw it until this thread.

nashLA
04-21-2021, 10:00 AM
I guess this is where we disagree. I don't think a university should be everything to everyone. I think it is there to educate. If a student has concerns over a class, then Keenum should listen. But if a student has an issue related to something that is none of the university's business, then I would have no problem with Keenum saying "that is not under my jurisdiction". That's my personal opinion.

Speculating here, but Keenum may have been throwing up a rather muted defense of reasoned debate on a college campus. It's no secret that the woke/CRT crowd (and most talking-head liberals) are very interested in stamping out any and all debate or any expression of opinion that differs from their group think. They think of college campuses are their fortresses of solitude rather than marketplaces of ideas. Maybe Keenum is trying to plant a very short, limp, flag when he says "Discussing difficult subjects in an arena of mutual respect with an eye toward seeking constructive solutions . . ."

Johnson85
04-21-2021, 10:06 AM
Why do people worry about this kind of stuff? I'd say people worry about too much stupid stuff these days. I don't even keep up with statements from the school. Never saw it until this thread.

Because we want MSU to be competent. This may not blow up and hurt us, but it was an unnecessary risk. My bigger issue is that after we clearly showed we were incompetent at PR with Leach's tweet, we didn't go out and get some help. Keep doing stupid shit and we are going to be the next Mizzou.

Cooterpoot
04-21-2021, 10:36 AM
Because we want MSU to be competent. This may not blow up and hurt us, but it was an unnecessary risk. My bigger issue is that after we clearly showed we were incompetent at PR with Leach's tweet, we didn't go out and get some help. Keep doing stupid shit and we are going to be the next Mizzou.

There was nothing in that to blow up. I didn't care for the sin comment because you bring religion into it, but other than that, I don't see the issue unless you're a far right/left nut job.

Hot Rock
04-21-2021, 10:50 AM

It should have been. I am not in the business of making excuses for the liberal media. I think all media has become agenda, clicks and ratings driven rather than honest reporting no matter the slant they chose.

We have many issues, I believe a lot of it stems from racism and many do not. You bring an example. I see it and go yes, Police get desensitized just like the rest of us and they can be callous to everyone. I can show you many examples that very thing. I also have experienced and seen racism also be a problem but will you read them with an open mind.

People need to discuss the merits without anger in order to come up with proper solution. See Leach's speech to the Ole Miss law school. He made a dang good point about that very topic. That speech is worth watching just for that point and may be something I need to think about more than you but it's a point taken to heart by me.

NCDawg
04-21-2021, 10:51 AM

Pretty obvious. One was white, the other black. If Timpa had been black, I'm sure you would see the same type of reaction we had for the Chauvin trial. Such is the way of politics in America today.

shoeless joe
04-21-2021, 11:51 AM

That was brutal...talk about needing PR help. Of course it won?t hurt her with her constituents

Coldhardtruth
04-21-2021, 11:51 AM
City folk problems.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-21-2021, 03:44 PM
When Kingston Frazier was kidnapped at the Kroger on I-55 in Jackson, then killed and left in Gluckstadt, did the president of the University of Oregon release a statement? And why would he?

To show you the stupidity, Jackson's Mayor Lumumba released a statement about the George Floyd verdict. However, Mayor Lumumba did not release a statement to notify the people in Jackson of all of the issues with the water system, the EPA findings, the dangers of the water, etc. And that is directly under his responsibility and jurisdiction. That is akin to our left tackle knowing what the leftfielder should do on a flyball to short rightfield when there are runners on first and second, and yet not knowing who to block on a run play against a 4-man front.

In my opinion, worry about your responsibilities first, before you worry about something that is none of your business and you have no jurisdiction over. We pay Keenum to run our university. We don't pay him to run the Minneapolis Police Department or judicial system.