PDA

View Full Version : Next three weekends are huge for the baseball team

Todd4State
04-19-2021, 12:42 PM
If we can go on the road and take 2/3 from Vandy, 2/3 from A&M if not sweep, and then 2/3 from South Carolina we will be a lock to be a National Seed. That should take us to the May 10 selection date for regional sites I believe, so anything after that I'm not sure how much it matters other than seeding in regards to hosting. After that we need to sweep Mizzou and then take 2/3 from Alabama. That would put us at 21 SEC wins which is going to be tough to do one way or the other.

Rayburn8
04-19-2021, 12:51 PM
If we can go on the road and take 2/3 from Vandy, 2/3 from A&M if not sweep, and then 2/3 from South Carolina we will be a lock to be a National Seed. That should take us to the May 10 selection date for regional sites I believe, so anything after that I'm not sure how much it matters other than seeding in regards to hosting. After that we need to sweep Mizzou and then take 2/3 from Alabama. That would put us at 21 SEC wins which is going to be tough to do one way or the other.

If we do that the next three weeks, our chances of winning the conference would be sky high.

Todd4State
04-19-2021, 01:33 PM
If we do that the next three weeks, our chances of winning the conference would be sky high.

We have a chance to do that. We're in the hunt but a lot of hard work to do.

HoopsDawg
04-19-2021, 03:00 PM
It seems like someone posts this every week.

confucius say
04-19-2021, 04:06 PM
Just go 5-4 and we are announced as a host easily on May 10. That puts us at 15-9.

Then go 4-2 against Bama and Mizzou and we are 19-11 and will be a natty seed. Should sweep mizzou though to get to 20-10.

smootness
04-19-2021, 04:54 PM

Of course we would be. But good luck taking 2 of 3 from Vandy. I know UGA did it, but that is a tough ask.

Cowbell
04-19-2021, 05:08 PM
Of course we would be. But good luck taking 2 of 3 from Vandy. I know UGA did it, but that is a tough ask.
We have a better chance of sweeping the aggies than this

Todd4State
04-19-2021, 05:19 PM

It is tough especially on the road. Which is why this weekend is big. The best way to do it is the same as Ole Miss. Split the first two and then go all in on Sunday. But I don't believe they have lost a Sunday SEC game all year. The good news is we have the pitching to hang in with them even though MacLeoud and Bednar are not the prospects that Rocker and Leiter are.

AlSwearengen
04-19-2021, 06:36 PM
Sweeping auburn and then taking 2 of 3 from olemiss has us 1 game ahead of what we were hoping for going into the auburn weekend. Beating Rooker or Leiter will take one of them totally blowing up, I’m afraid. Not getting swept by vandy is the objective in my mind. After that, we need to sweep a couple of series which is doable, probably Missouri and Bama.

MafiaDawg
04-19-2021, 06:42 PM
Every week is big. They all count the same. Rinse and repeat.

calidawg
04-19-2021, 06:50 PM

This is the most obvious post I've ever seen. How about this. If we win every game the rest of the year were guaranteed a national seed.

We won't drop a single spot in rankings if we lose 2/3 this weekend. This weekend doesn't really matter on the grand scheme unless we get swept then it might hurt some. Winning the games against the lesser SEC squads is what's more important.

Coach34
04-19-2021, 07:00 PM
I just hope we beat Vandy once

Offshore Dawg
04-19-2021, 07:57 PM

This is a realistic point of view.

PGHBulldogBG
04-19-2021, 08:09 PM
I will be happy to beat vandy once. Essentially we have 2 extremely hard series (@vandy @usc) 1 medium hard (@bama) and then 2 should be easy series wins at home against atm and Missouri. That being said, if we finish 19-11 which is what I expect (3 to vandy, 2 to usc, 1 to bama) that should put us as a national seed.

Coach34
04-19-2021, 08:36 PM
Looks like we should get to 18-12. That probably puts us on the border of a national seed at worst- and a 7 or 8 seed at best. 19-11 or 20-10 has us as a very secure national seed.

Ari Gold
04-20-2021, 10:57 AM

This is the correct answer...

Commercecomet24
04-20-2021, 11:06 AM
We need to get at least one win at vandy and that would make me happy, but as scrappy and tough as this bunch is I'm thinking we're gonna get 2 of 3.

ScoobaDawg
04-20-2021, 11:09 AM
Let's get 6 wins over the next 9. We do that feel good about 20 conference wins which would be big.

Hot Rock
04-20-2021, 11:17 AM
Aren't they just announcing regional host sites but not has nothing to do with seeding, correct? This is not a normal year where your top regional seed is guaranteed to host.

Then super regionals will be decided later. They are much easier with just two ball clubs and not four.

Hot Rock
04-20-2021, 11:21 AM
I just hope by the post season this team stays healthy and develops into the best possible version of itself. If that happens, this team will have a chance to well in the post season, no matter how many they win on a given weekend but:

Winning one will make us all feel better and two? There won't be no talking to me.

ScoobaDawg
04-20-2021, 11:50 AM
Aren't they just announcing regional host sites but not has nothing to do with seeding, correct? This is not a normal year where your top regional seed is guaranteed to host.

Then super regionals will be decided later. They are much easier with just two ball clubs and not four.

Negative. Super Regionals are held at same place Regionals are held. It's potentially stupid. Imagine. Mississippi gets a host bid. Get's knocked out in the regional final... and then you have Louisville vs Clemson playing in Oxford....

Edit, i guess in that case, Louisville could host a super since they already did a regional.

Commercecomet24
04-20-2021, 12:18 PM
Negative. Super Regionals are held at same place Regionals are held. It's potentially stupid. Imagine. Mississippi gets a host bid. Get's knocked out in the regional final... and then you have Louisville vs Clemson playing in Oxford....

Edit, i guess in that case, Louisville could host a super since they already did a regional.

Ah yes, the good ol NCAA. Leave it to them to take something so logical and easy and screw it up.

Hot Rock
04-20-2021, 02:16 PM

The regional sites are not guaranteed to have the host site have the top seed this year, Correct? Can't they name Starkville a regional site and State go 0fer the rest of they way and drop completely out of top 16 seeding?

The Starkville regional could still be held with or without State in it.

ScoobaDawg
04-20-2021, 02:17 PM
The regional sites are not guaranteed to have the host site have the top seed this year, Correct? Can't they name Starkville a regional site and State go 0fer the rest of they way and drop completely out of top 16 seeding?

That's correct... that's an even better example.

Captain Falcon
04-20-2021, 02:38 PM

I?m 99.9% certain we would play in our own Regional even if we fell to the 2 seed line.

There has been a lot of harping about all of these ?what if? scenarios and nobody really acknowledging that it could easily end up all looking very normal (other than maybe crowd restrictions). If the Top 8 seeds hold serve in the Regional round then it?s all a moot point. And instances of teams outside the Top 16 hosting Supers are fairly rare anyway. It?s only happened three times since 2016 and there weren?t any of those instances in 2019.

OLJWales
04-20-2021, 03:02 PM
I think we are good enough to not be happy taking just 1 @ Vandy. I bet our players and coaches wouldn't be. Not the end of the world if we just win 1 but getting swept would indeed suck based on YTD.

StarkVegasSteve
04-20-2021, 03:12 PM
If we win 2 of 3 at Vandy then 22-8 is not out of the realm of possibility and that would win us the conference. That'd also probably lock us in as either the number one or two national seed.

Hot Rock
04-20-2021, 03:58 PM
Don't forget Alabama is getting their number 1 pitcher back this week right? He ain't chopped liver either. Lots has to go right every weekend in this league to get series wins. I will take series wins at 2-1 all the way out and know this is a really good team, a couple sweeps and even better.