PDA

View Full Version : Garrison Brooks to MSU

runwildjerious
04-15-2021, 06:07 PM
Just announced on his IG. On Twitter now as well.

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1382832713678327817?s=21

msstate7
04-15-2021, 06:10 PM
Such a nice pull. Hopefully this helps us with Jeffries.

About brooks though, how do he and smith play together? Which one is the 5?

trob115
04-15-2021, 06:15 PM
Brooks probably guards the opposing 5. In our offense, both will be capable of being on the block.

msstate7
04-15-2021, 06:16 PM
Brooks numbers for last 2 years...
2020: 16.8 ppg 8.5 rpg 2.0 assists
2021: 10.2 ppg 6.9 rpg 1.4 assists

He can obviously score and rebound.

msstate7
04-15-2021, 06:17 PM
With brooks and t. Smith, we could really bully teams on the boards and in the paint

BeardoMSU
04-15-2021, 06:18 PM
Brooks numbers for last 2 years...
2020: 16.8 ppg 8.5 rpg 2.0 assists
2021: 10.2 ppg 6.9 rpg 1.4 assists

He can obviously score and rebound.

Yep. Huge.

RLM38654
04-15-2021, 06:49 PM
DJ Jeffries just tweeted "I'll be making my college commitment Monday " is the timing just coincidence?

HoopsDawg
04-15-2021, 06:57 PM
With brooks and t. Smith, we could really bully teams on the boards and in the paint

Gonna be interesting. I don't really like them both on the court together. Maybe for stretches. Brooks played the 4 mainly at UNC. I like him at the 5. One thing is for sure, we won't be running 4 out, 1 in with Brooks and Tolu on the court together. Side note, I like Jeffries better at the 4 than the 3.

Coach34
04-15-2021, 07:02 PM
We gonna get Jeffries too. Jeffries wants to be a 3 and Brooks wants to show his ability to shoot his jump shot at 4. And we said- "C'mon. Hell yeah"

NCMSTFAN
04-15-2021, 07:07 PM
Great pick-up! Tolu Smith and Garrison Brooks play somewhat similar game but, Brooks can stretch the floor a little more, Regardless you can't pass up on a player like him so Howland will have to figure how to play the two of them together but you definitely want both on the floor at the same time alot of the game. One thing for sure is we will be a heck of a rebounding team and have 2 solid proven low post scorers next season! If we can get Jeffries, and DJ Stewart comes back, there is no reason we shouldn't make the tournament and actually be competitive. That gives us size, scoring, rebounding, defense and pretty good shooting also with Molinar and Stewart.

Todd4State
04-15-2021, 07:10 PM
We gonna get Jeffries too. Jeffries wants to be a 3 and Brooks wants to show his ability to shoot his jump shot at 4. And we said- "C'mon. Hell yeah"

So in other words the complete opposite of how Dan Mullen would have recruited them.

I'm good with Howland doing this.

jdelta02
04-15-2021, 07:31 PM
Some of the top Miss. State frontcourt duos.....

(2011-12 season)
Arnett Moultrie
Renardo Sidney

(2007-8 season)
Charles Rhodes
Jarvis Varnado

(2004-5 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Charles Rhodes

(2003-4 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Branden Vincent

2002-3 season)
Mario Austin
Michal Ignerski

(1995-96 season)
Erick Dampier
Russell Walters

(1990-91 season)
Cameron Burns
Todd Merritt/Carl Nichols

(1983-84 season)
Tony Robinson
Kelvin Hildreth

(1976-77 to 1980)
Rickey Brown
Gary Hooker/ Ray White

Coach34
04-15-2021, 08:16 PM
So in other words the complete opposite of how Dan Mullen would have recruited them.

I'm good with Howland doing this.

It's how Stands got shit done. We doing it again. All for it- lets go for a run. We have the parts.

BayouDawg
04-15-2021, 08:25 PM
This could turn out to be a very solid team!

Homedawg
04-15-2021, 08:59 PM

Could be really good. Brooks is solid. Not spectacular. But very good pickup.

maroonmania
04-15-2021, 09:10 PM

Will be great if we get Brooks and Jeffries but I won't get totally excited about the team until we know Stewart is coming back. Forwards and Post players are nice but college basketball is driven by guard play. We can't lose Devion Smith and then also turn around and lose DJ to the NBA. If we do we haven't really helped ourselves.

R2Dawg
04-15-2021, 09:16 PM

(2011-12 season)
Arnett Moultrie
Renardo Sidney

(2007-8 season)
Charles Rhodes
Jarvis Varnado

(2004-5 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Charles Rhodes

(2003-4 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Branden Vincent

2002-3 season)
Mario Austin
Michal Ignerski

(1995-96 season)
Erick Dampier
Russell Walters

(1990-91 season)
Cameron Burns

(1983-84 season)
Tony Robinson
Kelvin Hildreth

(1976-77 to 1980)
Rickey Brown
Gary Hooker/ Ray White

These 3 right here are about as good as it gets. Man we had talent.

(2007-8 season)
Charles Rhodes
Jarvis Varnado

(2004-5 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Charles Rhodes

(2003-4 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Branden Vincent

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2021, 09:22 PM
Will be great if we get Brooks and Jeffries but I won't get totally excited about the team until we know Stewart is coming back. Forwards and Post players are nice but college basketball is driven by guard play. We can't lose Devion Smith and then also turn around and lose DJ to the NBA. If we do we haven't really helped ourselves.

There are guards in the portal to replace Deivon.

RiverCityDawg
04-15-2021, 09:51 PM
These 3 right here are about as good as it gets. Man we had talent.

(2007-8 season)
Charles Rhodes
Jarvis Varnado

(2004-5 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Charles Rhodes

(2003-4 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Branden Vincent

Rhodes barely played on that 04-05 team. That year I think we usually started Marcus Campbell at 5 and Roberts at 4, but in crunch time Ontario Harper played 4 and Roberts at 5.

The front court combos of Vincent & Roberts and Rhodes & Varnado were so much fun to watch.

HoopsDawg
04-15-2021, 09:54 PM
There are guards in the portal to replace Deivon.

Yes, but we need to find the right one. Brooks and Jeffries, though not a done deal were somewhat obvious choices. Finding that right guard is a little tougher.

KOdawg1
04-15-2021, 10:00 PM
It's nice to be excited about basketball again. I really hope this team can make a run next year.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2021, 10:06 PM
Yes, but we need to find the right one. Brooks and Jeffries, though not a done deal were somewhat obvious choices. Finding that right guard is a little tougher.

A lil tougher yes but very doable.

jdelta02
04-15-2021, 10:50 PM
Rhodes barely played on that 04-05 team. That year I think we usually started Marcus Campbell at 5 and Roberts at 4, but in crunch time Ontario Harper played 4 and Roberts at 5.

The front court combos of Vincent & Roberts and Rhodes & Varnado were so much fun to watch.

Listed (special listing) Charles Rhodes with Lawrence Roberts on that 2004-5 team a large part based on the player he ultimately became at Miss. State ....2005-6 season and beyond. In retrospect, he and Roberts were a great duo. Even at the time...observers could tell that they were witnessing a future Miss. State standout...in Rhodes. Also, he came in, played very well in limited action..helping Roberts and Miss. State matchup against Duke in the nationally televised 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney that season. He didn't score much in that game, but brought much energy, help, intangibles against a very dominant Duke frontcourt. My opinion, that was actually his breakout game, huge catalyst for him moving forward in his career. Imagine if the older version (2005-6 through 2007-8 ability wise) of Rhodes played beside Lawrence Roberts that season? Especially the 2007-8 season version.

NCMSTFAN
04-15-2021, 11:13 PM

I agree. I said this last year coming in when we only had Molinar and Deivon as our only 2 true ball handlers. DJ Stewart played some there too but he just isn't a PG, he is a slasher/scorer/defender. You win with guard play in College basketball. You need 3, preferably 4 guys on the team that can push the ball up the court and create for themselves and create for others. It's nice to have 2 true PG's and a couple of combo guards that can play PG, SG (Timmy Bowers, Zimmerman, Jamont Gordon, Barry Stewart, Quinndary an Nick Weatherspoon type utility combo guys). We definitely need to go get a ball handler or two to add to this. I think we are pretty solid in the post with Garrison, Tolu, Post, Davis and our Freshman Murphy..plus we have long forwards like Fountain and Garcia who can play some PF if we go small. We did just pick up a combo guard who played at Oak Hill so he may help some there, but he will only be a Freshman

ZedFedder
04-16-2021, 05:52 AM
You get DJ Jeffries and this team should be a 6 seed in the tourney at minimum.

maroonmania
04-16-2021, 07:24 AM
A lil tougher yes but very doable.

That was sort of the point of my original post though. If we have DJ and Iverson both back then yes, we are really just looking for a backup PG. If we had kept Devion but then lost DJ to the draft, Devion and Iverson could have been the starting Guards. But my point was, now that we've lost Smith, goal number one has to be getting DJ back for another year way above anything else. If not, now you aren't just looking for a backup guard, you are most likely looking for an experienced guard in the portal that can start, plus you STILL need another backup G as well. Take away both DJ and DS and, looking at our roster, there is not another guy currently on there that I would feel good about starting alongside Molinar at the 1 or the 2. Overall, we are really Guard poor at the moment. Getting Brooks and Jeffries doesn't solve that. And as I said, guard play is the biggest success factor in college basketball.

Ari Gold
04-16-2021, 07:33 AM

(2011-12 season)
Arnett Moultrie
Renardo Sidney

(2007-8 season)
Charles Rhodes
Jarvis Varnado

(2004-5 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Charles Rhodes

(2003-4 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Branden Vincent

2002-3 season)
Mario Austin
Michal Ignerski

(1995-96 season)
Erick Dampier
Russell Walters

(1990-91 season)
Cameron Burns

(1983-84 season)
Tony Robinson
Kelvin Hildreth

(1976-77 to 1980)
Rickey Brown
Gary Hooker/ Ray White

2019-2020
Regis Perry / Ado

Say what ya want about Ado but was a difference maker on D and Perry won POTY
And 04/05 Rhodes basically contributed nothing

RiverCityDawg
04-16-2021, 07:36 AM
Listed (special listing) Charles Rhodes with Lawrence Roberts on that 2004-5 team a large part based on the player he ultimately became at Miss. State ....2005-6 season and beyond. In retrospect, he and Roberts were a great duo. Even at the time...observers could tell that they were witnessing a future Miss. State standout...in Rhodes. Also, he came in, played very well in limited action..helping Roberts and Miss. State matchup against Duke in the nationally televised 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney that season. He didn't score much in that game, but brought much energy, help, intangibles against a very dominant Duke frontcourt. My opinion, that was actually his breakout game, huge catalyst for him moving forward in his career. Imagine if the older version (2005-6 through 2007-8 ability wise) of Rhodes played beside Lawrence Roberts that season? Especially the 2007-8 season version.

Fine if you want to do that, but usually when people say "duos" they are talking about guys that played together and complimented each other on the court. I wouldn't say Antonio Jackson and Timmy Bowers were a great duo in 2000, it was Jackson and Markel Patterson. Sure Jackson was our best scorer that year and Bowers went on to be an all time great, but they were basically ships passing in the night sort of like Roberts and Rhodes.

No big deal obviously, just an interesting viewpoint. We have so many good actual duos, that one just caught my eye. All good players and fun to think back on them. Roberts and Rhodes together in their prime would indeed have been a sight to see.

Hambone
04-16-2021, 08:37 AM
So DJ Jeffries tweeted something that Steve retweeted with the eyeball emoji, but has since been deleted.....

Anyone know what it was?

tcdog70
04-16-2021, 10:12 AM

(2011-12 season)
Arnett Moultrie
Renardo Sidney

(2007-8 season)
Charles Rhodes
Jarvis Varnado

(2004-5 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Charles Rhodes

(2003-4 season)
Lawrence Roberts
Branden Vincent

2002-3 season)
Mario Austin
Michal Ignerski

(1995-96 season)
Erick Dampier
Russell Walters

(1990-91 season)
Cameron Burns

(1983-84 season)
Tony Robinson
Kelvin Hildreth

(1976-77 to 1980)
Rickey Brown
Gary Hooker/ Ray White

Rickey Brown-Wiley Peck

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
04-16-2021, 11:22 AM
You forgot Wiley Peck on that last group. Ray White was more of a 2 guard.

jdelta02
04-16-2021, 11:23 AM
Rickey Brown-Wiley Peck

Left Wiley Peck off because he was a big 6-7, 220 pound guard (including listed by Miss. State as a guard). Rickey Brown (6-10 power forward/center/guard), Gary Hooker and Ray White were all frontcourt players. Ray White was more of a hybrid 2/3/4. All of these players were outstanding rebounders, multu-skilled players.

Wiley rebounded and did other things like or better than top level post player though...
(He averaged a double double in his final season at Miss. State....1978-79 season)
14.5 points per game
11.3 rebounds per game
64% field goal

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-16-2021, 11:40 AM

Be nice if we could add Jalen Terry. That would fill the D Smith void

Homedawg
04-16-2021, 11:54 AM
Left Wiley Peck off because he was a big 6-7, 220 pound guard (including listed by Miss. State as a guard). Rickey Brown (6-10 power forward/center/guard), Gary Hooker and Ray White were all frontcourt players. Ray White was more of a hybrid 2/3/4. All of these players were outstanding rebounders, multu-skilled players.

Wiley rebounded and did other things like or better than top level post player though...
(He averaged a double double in his final season at Miss. State....1978-79 season)
14.5 points per game
11.3 rebounds per game
64% field goal
Peck was not anything close to a guard. He was a power forward. Ray white was a 2/3. Not a 4

jdelta02
04-16-2021, 01:48 PM
Peck was not anything close to a guard. He was a power forward. Ray white was a 2/3. Not a 4

Could easily list Wiley Peck with the frontcourt (especially power forward) and Ray White with the guards (either 1 or 2). Though, Miss. State had/has Peck listed as a guard (some games media referred to him as a power forward, some games they called him a guard). NBA had/has him listed as a shooting guard, and media called him a shooting guard. Ray White was listed as a forward at Miss. State. Though, was at times referred to as a guard, at other times...a forward. Also, Ray played point guard in games or at times as well. Mostly had Al Perry at the point though, and Greg Grim...in a combo guard type role.

Commercecomet24
04-16-2021, 01:55 PM
Could easily list Wiley Peck with the frontcourt (especially power forward) and Ray White with the guards (either 1 or 2). Though, Miss. State had/has Peck listed as a guard (still...some games media referred to him as a power forward, some games they called him a guard). NBA had/has him listed as a shooting guard, and media called him a shooting guard. Ray White was listed as a forward at Miss. State. Though, was at times referred to as a guard, at other times...a forward. Also, Ray played point guard in games or at times. Mostly had Al Perry at the point though, and Greg Grim...in a combo guard type role.

I watched him play many times and Peck never played on the perimter, he played down low and inside and he was a man.

ETA: Basketball Reference lists him as NBA small forward.

Madisonmd
04-16-2021, 02:11 PM
I watched him play many times and Peck never played on the perimter, he played down low and inside and he was a man.

ETA: Basketball Reference lists him as NBA small forward.

At MSU, Peck was anything but a G!

Madisonmd
04-16-2021, 02:13 PM
Our best lineup next season could very well be a new transfer PG (assuming high quality,ie Oregon), Jeffries, Molinar ,Brooks, and Smith,with Stewart staying in the draft possibly

deltadawg63
04-16-2021, 02:39 PM
If Jeffries commits on Monday, it tells me that Stewart has told the coaches and maybe even Jeffries that he is staying in draft. Molinar, Stewart, Brooks, Smith and Jeffries will imply to Jeffries and/or Stewart that this is too many scorers who expect a lot of shots and scoring opportunities for themselves.

Commercecomet24
04-16-2021, 02:43 PM

Yeah there was nothing guardish about him. He was a beast inside.

Homedawg
04-16-2021, 02:59 PM
Could easily list Wiley Peck with the frontcourt (especially power forward) and Ray White with the guards (either 1 or 2). Though, Miss. State had/has Peck listed as a guard (some games media referred to him as a power forward, some games they called him a guard). NBA had/has him listed as a shooting guard, and media called him a shooting guard. Ray White was listed as a forward at Miss. State. Though, was at times referred to as a guard, at other times...a forward. Also, Ray played point guard in games or at times as well. Mostly had Al Perry at the point though, and Greg Grim...in a combo guard type role.

Nobody ever called peck a guard. I promise you. He was a beast in the boards. He was drafted by the Spurs as a power forward.

Commercecomet24
04-16-2021, 03:02 PM
Nobody ever called peck a guard. I promise you. He was a beast in the boards. He was drafted by the Spurs as a power forward.

Yeah and seeing him in person he was closer to 240-250lbs pound range than 220. He was a big man.

bostondawg
04-16-2021, 05:29 PM
If Jeffries commits on Monday, it tells me that Stewart has told the coaches and maybe even Jeffries that he is staying in draft. Molinar, Stewart, Brooks, Smith and Jeffries will imply to Jeffries and/or Stewart that this is too many scorers who expect a lot of shots and scoring opportunities for themselves.

You got a source for this?

NCMSTFAN
04-16-2021, 08:54 PM
If DJ Stewart comes back, and we get Jeffries, you start:

Molinar
Stewart
Jeffries
Brooks
Tolu

Davis, Post, Fountain and Garcia are nice bench pieces but we really have to get a ball handler or two from the portal. I hope Stewart returns but if he doesn't Jeffries is a nice replacement. It will be even better to have them together.

maroonmania
04-17-2021, 08:48 AM

I don't personally believe that. If Stewart had made it known that he was likely going to remain in the draft then it made no sense for Devion Smith to transfer out when he would have had a likely starting job here. Now that doesn't mean he might not stay in the draft anyway if he gets the feedback that he is pretty much guaranteed to get drafted.

tcdog70
04-17-2021, 10:03 AM
Yeah there was nothing guardish about him. He was a beast inside.

The team of Ray White-AlPerry-Gary Hooker-Wiley Peck and Rickey Brown?-could probably beat any team In MSU history.

jdelta02
04-17-2021, 11:18 AM

He's mostly listed online as a guard or a shooting guard. NBA mostly lists him as a guard as well..sometimes a small forward, and occasionally a power forward. I left him off of my Miss. State...top frontcourt duos list. I actually see him as much more of a power forward type as well, but am currently counting him as a guard in regards to leaving him off of my listing. Just using what has been noted in variius records as reference to the players official positions...makeup of my listing, and not denying the eye tests, other records, statistics, varius assessments, ect..regarding Wiley Peck, other players. Nothing against nor not denying yours, mine, or others assessments,. Also, see nothing wrong with adding Wiley next time. Will add him next time.

jdelta02
04-17-2021, 12:24 PM
The team of Ray White-AlPerry-Gary Hooker-Wiley Peck and Rickey Brown?-could probably beat any team In MSU history.

- That team (Coach Ron Greene)
- 1996 Final 4 team, 1995 team
- 2 teams with Lawrence Roberts
- Team with Jamont Gordon, Charles Rhodes, Jarvis Varnado, Barry Stewart, Ben Hansbrough,
- Team with Arnett Moutrie, Renardo Sidney, Dee Bost
- Cameron Burns. final season team
- Team with Q Weatherspoon, Reggie Perry, Lamar Peters, Robert Woodard
- Mario Austin's last season team
- Also, some of the Babe McCarthy teams

Not saying which was the best, these were/are all really good teams. Few more not overly far behind.

msstate7
04-17-2021, 01:16 PM
Alright guys, back to this year... what Jeffries gonna do?

Bulldog1
04-17-2021, 01:37 PM
Alright guys, back to this year... what Jeffries gonna do?

Come to state

Bulldog1
04-17-2021, 03:51 PM
No excuse for the hump not to be packed this coming year

msstate7
04-17-2021, 03:56 PM
Delete

Todd4State
04-17-2021, 09:56 PM
If DJ Stewart comes back, and we get Jeffries, you start:

Molinar
Stewart
Jeffries
Brooks
Tolu

Davis, Post, Fountain and Garcia are nice bench pieces but we really have to get a ball handler or two from the portal. I hope Stewart returns but if he doesn't Jeffries is a nice replacement. It will be even better to have them together.

I did some crack research on those players. In the starting five all averaged 10 PPG or more last year. That's really solid if that lineup comes to fruition.

Ari Gold
04-18-2021, 08:26 AM
Expect good news on Monday and good news to follow in the coming days..
basketball roster setting up to be very NICE next year

NCMSTFAN
04-23-2021, 08:54 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13oVTdhB6AE&t=215s

I watched some highlights tonight, we will have a really good post game with Garrison and Tolu Smith. We have a chance to be dangerous next year with those two. I know all highlight tapes are Amazing, but Brooks is coming from Roy Williams coaching and alot of experience so I'm confident in what he will bring.

Joebob
04-23-2021, 09:08 PM

This is correct. I was at MSU during his career. He was definitely a power forward.

tcdog70
04-24-2021, 12:17 PM
This is correct. I was at MSU during his career. He was definitely a power forward.

Peck never played guard a day in his life. He was called “Chairman of the Boards”