PDA

View Full Version : What concerts have you seen (or maybe remember) @ The Hump?

Indndawg
04-14-2021, 02:35 PM
Just a little more levity or the board.

Me: Frampton, Kansas, Amy Grant, Commodores, ChicARGO, seems like there some others too.

NWADAWG
04-14-2021, 02:43 PM
Hank Jr/Restless Heart
Expose - music was meh, but the ladies singing were entertaining.
Ronnie Milsap - actually worked stage crew and spotlights for this one.
Other on campus venues
Joan Jett - at malfunction junction amp
Hoodoo Gurus - McCarthy
Smithereens - McCarthy

Extendedcab
04-14-2021, 03:31 PM
Linda Ronstadt - what a voice, she did not need a microphone
Kansas
James Taylor - he got mad because the crowd made too much noise

Turfdawg67
04-14-2021, 04:01 PM
Bon Jovi
Kansas
Night Ranger
Mr Mister
Tina Turner
Hank Williams
Charlie Pride (with my parents, my first concert)
Frampton
Heart
Cheryl Crow
Eagle Eye Cherry
REM (I think this was at the old gym)
Kenny Wayne Shepard (Rick's)
The Outfield
David Allen Cole (at the Ramada Inn bar?)

I'm sure there are more...

starkvegasdawg
04-14-2021, 04:02 PM
Garth Brooks with Martina McBride opening.

Commercecomet24
04-14-2021, 04:08 PM
Iron Butterfly, Wild Cherry, Frampton, Hank, some more I'm sure but the memory gets worse as the years roll by.

Turfdawg67
04-14-2021, 04:17 PM
I remember Bruce at the Hump, but I was too young to go.

KentuckyDawg13
04-14-2021, 04:21 PM
Most in the late 80s, was Tina Turner's dressing room door security too. Bocephus' crowd was the most insane.

Fred Garvin
04-14-2021, 04:23 PM
Jimmy Buffett
Earth Wind & Fire
Kool and the Gang

Dawg496
04-14-2021, 04:24 PM
Three 6 Mafia

Dawgbite
04-14-2021, 04:49 PM
Jimmy Buffett
Stevie Nicks
Bon Jovi
Night Ranger

Leeshouldveflanked
04-14-2021, 06:58 PM
Cinderella/ White Snake

BrunswickDawg
04-14-2021, 07:05 PM
I think Garth may have been the only concert at the Hump my 4 years. Did see The Black Crowes, Blues Traveler, The Allman Bros and WSP all at the malfunction junction amphitheater over the years

Turfdawg67
04-14-2021, 07:05 PM
Cinderella/ White Snake

Yep. Saw that one too. My girlfriend worked at Sack N Save and the drummer of Cinderella came in to buy beer...

notsofarawaydawg
04-14-2021, 07:22 PM
At the old gym:

Barry Manilow

Joebob
04-14-2021, 07:23 PM
Billy Joel (twice)
Billy Preston
Edgar Winter
Doobie Brothers
Lynyrd Skynyrd (at McCarthy gym)

mudbugs
04-14-2021, 08:40 PM
I suppose I've gotten old...Doobie Brothers, Commodores, Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett, Hank, Jr, Willie, Waylon, Alabama, Ronnie Milsap, Earth, Wind & Fire, Springsteen, Kansas, Frampton, Heart, Dixie Dregs (side note; pyrotechnics mis-fired and injured the guitar player) Bon Jovi, Springsteen, Boz Skaggs, Stevie Nicks, Tina Turner, Chicago, Joe Walsh, Oak Ridge Boys, Kool & the Gang, Hall & Oates, Linda Rondstadt, America, John Prine, Robert Palmer

Coach34
04-14-2021, 09:10 PM
I was there in the early 90's and never saw one concert at The Hump. I really dont even remember one being advertised other than Garth Brooks and didnt care to see a one hit wonder.

I did see other good groups around town like Better Than Ezra, Kyper, Arabian Prince, and a few others.

maroonmania
04-14-2021, 09:43 PM
Mine were all in mid-80s as a student:

Chicago
.38 Special
Huey Lewis and the News
Go-Gos

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
04-14-2021, 09:46 PM
Never saw a concert at The Hump and only saw 3 concerts at the Amphitheater.

ETA: Would have been incredible to see Chicago with Terry Kath. ETA2: But think he had already passed when Chicago played The Hump. Guessing they had already turned soft way before showing up on campus.

Gutter Cobreh
04-14-2021, 10:05 PM
Bob Dylan played at the Hump in the late 90s.

Only thing I remember is that people working the event were instructed not to look him in the eye...

LC Dawg
04-14-2021, 10:10 PM
I think Garth may have been the only concert at the Hump my 4 years. Did see The Black Crowes, Blues Traveler, The Allman Bros and WSP all at the malfunction junction amphitheater over the years

I saw the Black Crowes at the amphitheater around '91. When did the Allman's play it?

NWADAWG
04-14-2021, 11:14 PM
Hank Jr/Restless Heart
Expose - music was meh, but the ladies singing were entertaining.
Ronnie Milsap - actually worked stage crew and spotlights for this one.
Other on campus venues
Joan Jett - at malfunction junction amp
Hoodoo Gurus - McCarthy
Smithereens - McCarthy

I will add that a couple years ago, I learned that one of my coworkers used to play with a group called 17th Floor that played Starkville fairly often. His group traveled the world and played background for Usher and several other pop/r&b groups. I didn't believe him at first but he had pics and videos of him hanging out and/or performing with Usher, Boys to Men, Prince, and some others.

Bdawg
04-15-2021, 12:12 AM
Saw Bob Dillon and nickleback. Chad Kroeger grabbed a couple bottle waters he had on stage and threw them to me and my buddy on the front row. Pretty fun concert. But that's the only 2 I remember in the hump.

Bdawg
04-15-2021, 12:14 AM
I will add that a couple years ago, I learned that one of my coworkers used to play with a group called 17th Floor that played Starkville fairly often. His group traveled the world and played background for Usher and several other pop/r&b groups. I didn't believe him at first but he had pics and videos of him hanging out and/or performing with Usher, Boys to Men, Prince, and some others.

I remember them. Think I went to a couple sorority parties where they played. Fun band.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
04-15-2021, 05:59 AM
At the old gym:

Barry Manilow

I saw Sknyrd at the old gym in 1975.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
04-15-2021, 05:59 AM
Jimmy Buffett at the Hump.

SteelCurtain74
04-15-2021, 06:08 AM
Nickelback. I think Default was with them. I think they came because were on the MTV Campus Invasion tour.

Indndawg
04-15-2021, 06:22 AM
Bon Jovi
Kansas
Night Ranger
Mr Mister
Tina Turner
Hank Williams
Charlie Pride (with my parents, my first concert)
Frampton
Heart
Cheryl Crow
Eagle Eye Cherry
REM (I think this was at the old gym)
Kenny Wayne Shepard (Rick's)
The Outfield
David Allen Cole (at the Ramada Inn bar?)

I'm sure there are more...
Sigh....

BrunswickDawg
04-15-2021, 06:58 AM
I saw the Black Crowes at the amphitheater around '91. When did the Allman's play it?

Crowes was either Fall '91 or Spring '92. The Allmans opened for Blues Traveler in Spring '93 I think. Couple of friends and I stood right at the middle of the stage, front row and talked to Dickey Betts the whole show. We all got guitar picks at the end of the set.

MSUDAWGFAN
04-15-2021, 07:35 AM

Me: Frampton, Kansas, Amy Grant, Commodores, ChicARGO, seems like there some others too.

I saw Live and Counting Crows in Spring of 2000 there. It was funny, after Live went on some guys in front of me were with their girlfriends and the girls said they wanted to leave because Counting Crows was so depressing. One of the guys responded "Live is the depressing one. Lightning crashes and old mother dies... what can be more depressing than that."

That was the only concert I ever saw at the Hump but I did see one where the drummer was out front and was also the singer (forgot who it was but they were popular at the time) at the Amphitheater.

Really Clark?
04-15-2021, 07:44 AM
I was there in the early 90's and never saw one concert at The Hump. I really dont even remember one being advertised other than Garth Brooks and didnt care to see a one hit wonder.

I did see other good groups around town like Better Than Ezra, Kyper, Arabian Prince, and a few others.

One hit wonder? He had already had like 10 number 1?s when he played in Starkville in 1992. I?m not a huge Garth fan but that was a fun concert. He was very entertaining. Busted out his new jersey Jackie gave him before the concert.

Coach34
04-15-2021, 08:57 AM
One hit wonder? He had already had like 10 number 1?s when he played in Starkville in 1992. I?m not a huge Garth fan but that was a fun concert. He was very entertaining. Busted out his new jersey Jackie gave him before the concert.

Seriously? I?ve only heard the Low Places song. Didn?t know he had done much else. But I only listen to rock and Rap. I have no idea who anybody is in Country Music except Faith Hill

Saltydog
04-15-2021, 09:14 AM

Huey Lewis / .38 Special
Night Ranger / Joe Lynn Turner
Whitesnake / Cinderella
Bon Jovi / Great White
Hank Williams, Jr.

Of course they were all ?A Musicmaker Production?......

BrunswickDawg
04-15-2021, 09:48 AM
Seriously? I?ve only heard the Low Places song. Didn?t know he had done much else. But I only listen to rock and Rap. I have no idea who anybody is in Country Music except Faith Hill

I dislike most country - but I don't know how you were on campus at the same time I was and escaped hearing Garth everywhere you went. I had a neighbor who would come home from Classix and just blast that shit at 2:00 AM. It was shear torture.

dstatechamps
04-15-2021, 10:36 AM

He's decent. Lolz.

He's sold more records than anybody ever except the Beatles.

dstatechamps
04-15-2021, 10:38 AM
Garth Brooks with Martina McBride opening.

Was there for that. We didn't know who the long-haired brunette was, we just wanted her to hurry up and get off the stage.

LC Dawg
04-15-2021, 10:54 AM
Crowes was either Fall '91 or Spring '92. The Allmans opened for Blues Traveler in Spring '93 I think. Couple of friends and I stood right at the middle of the stage, front row and talked to Dickey Betts the whole show. We all got guitar picks at the end of the set.

Very cool. I graduated in '93 but I don't remember the Allmans show. I saw them in '95 at the Jackson Zoo. Only time I got to see them. I didn't appreciate their greatness until later in life.

AusTexDawg
04-15-2021, 11:11 AM
The only one I remember attending at the Hump was Sheryl Crow with Eagle Eye Cherry. My first concert ever was the Black Crowes at the Amphitheater.

Commercecomet24
04-15-2021, 11:30 AM

Yeah I'm not real big Garth fan either, but the dude has sold 157 million albums, not bad lol.

#1 artist in album sales since 1991, according to Nielsen.

Coach34
04-15-2021, 11:41 AM
Had no idea. I just never listen to country. I change the TV if it’s on. Change the radio. Don’t go to places that play country. I’d rather watch Mississippi Rebel women’s golf or Hillary Clinton speak than listen to country music.

Tbonewannabe
04-15-2021, 02:31 PM
I saw Live and Counting Crows in Spring of 2000 there. It was funny, after Live went on some guys in front of me were with their girlfriends and the girls said they wanted to leave because Counting Crows was so depressing. One of the guys responded "Live is the depressing one. Lightning crashes and old mother dies... what can be more depressing than that."

That was the only concert I ever saw at the Hump but I did see one where the drummer was out front and was also the singer (forgot who it was but they were popular at the time) at the Amphitheater.

Maybe Cowboy Mouth. Jenny says is a purely awesome song.

Tbonewannabe
04-15-2021, 02:34 PM
I saw Cheryl Crow with Eagle Eye Cherry. Live with the Counting Crowe. Goo Goo Dolls, I can't remember the opening act. Not bad shows.

DorseyDog
04-15-2021, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=Tbonewannabe;1319441]I saw Cheryl Crow with Eagle Eye Cherry. Live with the Counting Crowe. Goo Goo Dolls, I can't remember the opening act. No

DorseyDog
04-15-2021, 04:54 PM
Statler Brothers with Grandpa Jones who was last minute fill in for Barbara Mandrell who was sick.

EdwardDrayton
04-15-2021, 06:01 PM
First one that I remember is Stevie Nicks and there are others. They’ll come to me but, hey, it was college and there likely were libations involved, making recollections a little slow in coming. :)

First post here fellas; moving over from years at Genespage. Good to be with y’all!!

BogeyGolfer
04-15-2021, 06:34 PM

White Snake 1988
Alabama 1990

Goldendawg
04-15-2021, 09:45 PM
Class of '77 here: Lynerd Skynerd ( was it same year as crash?), Roger McQuin warming up for Leon & Mary Russell, Jerry Jeff so drunk warm up band , Vassar Clements Band had to help finish show, Linda Ronstat, Billy Joel, Barry Manolow (free ticket, went with two girls), Bruce Springsteen (much later), 2015 - 1st concert with 14 year old son, Billy BobThornton & the Boxcutters warming up for ZZ Top. Next show for us Alice Cooper in Tupelo. Big regret - not rushing back to campus one Sunday afternoon for free John Prine on the Drill Field in about '76/77? Rock On & Hail State! BTW, most of my 100 or so other rock shows in the late great Mid-South Coliseum (I think!)

MSUDAWGFAN
04-16-2021, 01:51 PM
Maybe Cowboy Mouth. Jenny says is a purely awesome song.

Yep. It was Cowboy Mouth. Couldn't remember them.

SailingDawg
04-16-2021, 05:19 PM
Can't remember if the Commodores were my first, or Earth, Wind, and Fire. This would be the 70s. Also saw Peter Frampton and Jimmy Buffet, and Pat Benatar.

Smithereens and Violent Femmes at another location in Starkville in the 80s.

Indigo Girls at the Amphitheater.

Clevermule
04-16-2021, 09:09 PM
Old Fart here. !966-67 The Cow Barn. Roy Orbison, The Beach Boys

Ezsoil
04-16-2021, 10:24 PM
Chicago
Billy Joel 2
Jimmy Buffett
Commodores
Linda Rhonstat
Kansas
Heart (Valentines Day)
Doobie Brothers
Kenny Rogers
Boz Skaggs
America

MaroonFlounder
04-17-2021, 02:35 PM
All in the 80s

Springsteen in '80 or '81 was my 1st concert ever as a FR in HS.
Pat Benatar
.38 Special/Huey Lewis.
Night Ranger

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
04-17-2021, 05:53 PM

You sure it wasn't Blues Traveler opening up for The Brothers?

BrunswickDawg
04-17-2021, 08:25 PM
You sure it wasn't Blues Traveler opening up for The Brothers?
Yep. It was at the height of Blues Travelers popularity and the Brothers were still early in their 90's "come back".

Liverpooldawg
04-17-2021, 09:51 PM

Kansas, 38 Special, Oak Ridge Boys, Alabama, Dan Folgeburg, Pat Benatar, Buffet

TimberBeast
04-17-2021, 11:09 PM
Memories

Dawg_Lover
04-18-2021, 06:43 AM
I go way back to the Cow Barn, too. The ones I remember were around 67-68 ... Lovin Spoonful (twice), The Turtles, Three Dog Night, and James Brown, who put on a good concert. His was especially memorable because everyone around us were smoking pot the entire concert. All you had to do was breathe normally, and you were high.