PDA

View Full Version : Camo Brands and patterns...

CadaverDawg
11-11-2013, 04:01 PM
I know many would laugh at this thread, but I like to know what people are using and what others like when it comes to their camo brands and patterns. I always hunt on family land or occasionally at a buddy's deer camp, so I don't usually see a lot of what people are wearing. I recently purchased some Mossy Oak Infinity pattern camo, And I have used mossy oak break up a lot in the past. I have worn several different brands, but I seem to really like the way Browning gear wears, and Scentlok has been pretty good too.

So what is a good pattern for the Mississippi woods for deer hunting? What other styles do you like? What is your favorite brand of camo? Your favorite pattern?

FISHDAWG
11-11-2013, 04:10 PM
my favorite was always treebark because of hunting dense pines ... I think they quit making it, haven't seen it in a long time ... had to go to the original "Realtree" pattern

BeastMan
11-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Since I live in Jackson, I wear urban camo. But seriously, IMO I think some folks go overboard on camo (as far as deer hunting goes). Go to Mossy Oak outlet in WP next time you go to a State game and find some decent stuff on sale. I'm sure some will disagree but that's my 2cents. I'm not much a hunter btw

State82
11-11-2013, 05:41 PM
My favorite has always been Mossy Oak (all of their patterns). Hard to beat Break Up for the woods. For flooded timber ducks their Bottomland pattern may be the best ever made. That pattern is about as good an all around camo as you can get for most hunting situations around MS.

WeWillScrewItUp
11-11-2013, 07:39 PM
I have some lightweight camo in realtree ap and once it gets cold weather and leaves start falling off trees I wear NatGear. It is my favorite pattern but I wear the realtree for the green in early season.

SoJackDog
11-14-2013, 09:11 PM
I paint the inside of all shooting houses black and wear all black

SnakePlissken
11-14-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm in the minority but I've left camo behind. I firmly believe being quiet and odorless (as much as possible) is the most important requirements. I do have and use a camo coat/parka when it gets cold enough. My camo of choice are the patterns produced by King's Camo. For the east (AL & MS where I hunt) I use their mountain shadow and for the open areas I hunt out west I use their Desert Shadow. Their camo is awesome and it can actually be used in the South quite well. I've worn realtree max-1 for deer hunting here in AL with no problems as well

For my normal hunting attire I've switched to brown or green carhartt pants and a Pendelton wool shirt. Base layers are Patagonia merino wool in black. Having said all of this in the post I only hunt from elevated box stands on planted fields here in AL.

hdc
11-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Usually go with Max4 or Mossy Oak. Camo is much more important when duck and turkey hunting.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Cadaver, I don't really pay attention to the name brand anymore. I just buy what I think looks good. I would go with a lighter camo, grey background, rather than something dark. If you climb up in a tree, the sky is your background if the deer approaches from the side or behind you. Other than that, buy what looks good to you and what will keep you comfortable and warm.

J-Dawg
11-18-2013, 10:06 AM
For most part, as far as patterns go, Mossy Oak Breakup or Realtree Advantage (classic ones) are probably the best all-purpose camo for anything in Mississippi. I'm not one of those who has to have a certain camo pattern for every situation. I pretty much use the Breakup pattern (not HUGE on the new Breakup Infinity yet) for anything like deer, turkey, squirrels etc etc. The only time I use a different special camo is in duck hunting. I like both the Mossy Oak Duckblind pattern and Shadowgrass, although the Duck Blind is probably more universal. My waders are in the Duck Blind pattern.

Last year, though, I bought a Drake MST Eqwader jacket in the Mossy Oak Bottomland to wear duck hunting. It's sharp. I really like the Bottomland pattern and it's fairly generic to use in all situations, as well. I like it so much that I just bought a new Drake buttondown shirt/pants comb in the Bottomland as well that I will probably wear deer hunting and as an under layer duck hunting as well.

Also along these same lines, I found that my mix and match camo for duck hunting with the duckblind waders and the bottomland jacket concealed me even better since it breaks up my outline even further.

To derail the thread a bit: I know a bunch of fools wear the Drake Eqwader jackets like a normal coat when not hunting (which I find funny since it's half fleece, half jacket) as a fashion statement or whatnot, but the Mid-season Eqwader Jackets are literally the best duck hunting apparel I own. Didn't matter how cold it got last year, all I had to wear was a long sleeve cotton button down and the jacket, which conveniently fits inside the waders. Never got too cold. It's also breathable enough to wear on those slightly warmer days, too. I swear by it.

J-Dawg
11-18-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm in the minority but I've left camo behind. I firmly believe being quiet and odorless (as much as possible) is the most important requirements. I do have and use a camo coat/parka when it gets cold enough. My camo of choice are the patterns produced by King's Camo. For the east (AL & MS where I hunt) I use their mountain shadow and for the open areas I hunt out west I use their Desert Shadow. Their camo is awesome and it can actually be used in the South quite well. I've worn realtree max-1 for deer hunting here in AL with no problems as well

For my normal hunting attire I've switched to brown or green carhartt pants and a Pendelton wool shirt. Base layers are Patagonia merino wool in black. Having said all of this in the post I only hunt from elevated box stands on planted fields here in AL.

I know I just posted a long post about camo but I agree here.... but only deer hunting. I usually just wear a camo shirt and some Carhartt's or something. I rarely dress head to toe camo for deer. Ducks and turkeys are another story, obviously.

SpeckleDawg
11-18-2013, 08:43 PM
As already said, the Camo isn't nearly important for deer hunting, but I still buy a crap ton of it. I've always preferred the Mossy Oak Break Up, but can't ever seem to find it now. Everything I have bought the last few years has been Break Up infinity, but only because the Old Break Up is hard to find.