PDA

View Full Version : Spring football news?

msstate7
04-04-2021, 07:59 AM
Anyone got any interesting stuff? Will the leader for qb? Any new faces blowing up? What wr is the next jerry rice this spring (haha)?

MaroonFlounder
04-04-2021, 08:07 PM
Anyone got any interesting stuff? Will the leader for qb? Any new faces blowing up? What wr is the next jerry rice this spring (haha)?

Abraham and Lovertich threw accurately on the run.
Defense is gonna really good, esp if safety spots get figured out. The DEs are stout (Jordan Davis and Randy Charlton). Tyrus wheat really good. Almost a pick 6.
Jaden Wally still damn good.

chef dixon
04-04-2021, 08:23 PM
We've never had a dude like Walley before. Ready to watch him make more plays

BuckyIsAB****
04-04-2021, 08:25 PM
ILB biggest concern on defense. One injury away from being in bad shape. Offense should take a major leap forward. OL has to keep Will upright the pieces are there

MaroonFlounder
04-04-2021, 09:47 PM
ILB biggest concern on defense. One injury away from being in bad shape. Offense should take a major leap forward. OL has to keep Will upright the pieces are there

Still can't believe that Strong flipped on signing day. I think he knew he was going to LSU and kept us hanging. Strong is killing it in spring for the tigers. He will be all SEC. Why do we get shafted so much by these flippers?

preachermatt83
04-04-2021, 10:44 PM
Still can't believe that Strong flipped on signing day. I think he knew he was going to LSU and kept us hanging. Strong is killing it in spring for the tigers. He will be all SEC. Why do we get shafted so much by these flippers?

He absolutely knew he was going to LSU. He was one of the ones Leach said either get in the boat or get out. He wouldn’t get all the way in and leach said forget it then. We will miss guys a lot like that but we have to understand that leach gets a completely diff type player. They are going to not be divas. They are not going to be attention hungry. They are gonna always be chip on their shoulder, yes sir no sir type guys that will absolutely bleed Maroon and white

Todd4State
04-05-2021, 02:02 AM
Some things that I found interesting:

QB- I think what will ultimately end up happening is Will Rogers will be the starter, Abraham will transfer out, and Chance Lovertich will end up being the primary back-up. Lovertich is perfect for us. MSU legacy who wants to be here.

WR- Payton is playing outside and slot. Leach has transformed this group in a short time and how good this group will be will depend on how the wild cards do- Ducking, Harvey, Polk, and Knox.

OL- I think Lashley and Nick Jones will ultimately end up starting.

DL- Looks like we have some depth here. I like moving Jordan Davis to DE. I hope he ends up being the Edward Smith of this group. I'm interested to see how we use Crumedy because he could function as a DE or NT in this scheme.

LB- Brule or Watson at MLB? I want to see how Cumbest and Purvis do moving to LB.

CB- I think Decamarion Richardson emerges as the coveted third CB.

S- Looking forward to seeing Jalen Green. Does CJ Morgan move and how healthy is he?

Defense in general- I think we're going to realize just how decimated we were with injuries last year. DeMonte Russell, Purvis, Morgan, Dylan Lawrence, and Janari Dean are all guys that could have helped us last year and were out most of the year.

PR- I think Teddy Knox or Harvey takes the job. Austin Williams did a good job fair catching the ball but we could use someone that can make a game breaking play.

RiverCityDawg
04-05-2021, 07:18 AM

QB- I think what will ultimately end up happening is Will Rogers will be the starter, Abraham will transfer out, and Chance Lovertich will end up being the primary back-up. Lovertich is perfect for us. MSU legacy who wants to be here.

WR- Payton is playing outside and slot. Leach has transformed this group in a short time and how good this group will be will depend on how the wild cards do- Ducking, Harvey, Polk, and Knox.

DL- Looks like we have some depth here. I like moving Jordan Davis to DE. I hope he ends up being the Edward Smith of this group. I'm interested to see how we use Crumedy because he could function as a DE or NT in this scheme.

LB- Brule or Watson at MLB? I want to see how Cumbest and Purvis do moving to LB.

S- Looking forward to seeing Jalen Green. Does CJ Morgan move and how healthy is he?

Defense in general- I think we're going to realize just how decimated we were with injuries last year. DeMonte Russell, Purvis, Morgan, Dylan Lawrence, and Janari Dean are all guys that could have helped us last year and were out most of the year.

PR- I think Teddy Knox or Harvey takes the job. Austin Williams did a good job fair catching the ball but we could use someone that can make a game breaking play.

Pretty sure Payton was only taking outside reps because Tulu and Ducking were a little banged up and held out. I'll be shocked if he plays inside and out during the season, barring more injuries, especially with 3 outside receivers joining in the summer.

I'll believe in Lashley when I see it. He's been in college for 100 years and never contributed. It's always something with him.

Brule isn't playing any MLB. It's Bookie followed by Groce. Supposedly Cumbest is going to get a look at DE, but I don't believe he'll ever be a major contributor. Football and baseball are too hard to play part time for someone who isn't just a freak.

I wish we would give Tulu a shot at punt return, but it doesn't seem that's happened so far.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2021, 10:17 AM
He absolutely knew he was going to LSU. He was one of the ones Leach said either get in the boat or get out. He wouldn’t get all the way in and leach said forget it then. We will miss guys a lot like that but we have to understand that leach gets a completely diff type player. They are going to not be divas. They are not going to be attention hungry. They are gonna always be chip on their shoulder, yes sir no sir type guys that will absolutely bleed Maroon and white

That's great & all but they also better be SEC caliber players.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2021, 10:24 AM

QB - I don't see Abraham transferring out & he'll push Will but I believe Will starts.

WR - I don't expect Payton outside when everyone is healthy.

OL - I could see Lashley starting over Kam Jones but who do you have Nick Jones starting over?

LB - Brule is too valuable at WLB to move to MLB

CB - I still expect us to sign a CB out of the portal as the 3rd CB & Richardson can come along at a slower pace.

S - By opening day I expect Green, Peters, & Preston as the 3 starters. I expect Duncan to play a lot also & we'll see on everybody else.

PR - I could see Walley or Rufus

StarkVegasSteve
04-05-2021, 10:44 AM
I'll say this in re. to the QBs. I really like Leach continuing to bring in quality guys like Abraham and Lovertich to push Will. That along with Greek and Robertson being recruited can only make your QB room better. Either one of those guys overtakes Will or Will takes his game to another level, which I believe he will do. I'll happily eat crow on being wrong about Rogers thus far. I really didn't see him being this type of player, but he's a gamer. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

BuckyIsAB****
04-05-2021, 12:17 PM

The staff told him to get in or out

BuckyIsAB****
04-05-2021, 12:23 PM
Ive said it before but Cumbest needs to pick one

WinningIsRelentless
04-05-2021, 12:29 PM
The staff told him to get in or out

Word is, from very reliable sources , that he only heard from leach one time during the recruiting cycle.

BuckyIsAB****
04-05-2021, 12:55 PM
Word is, from very reliable sources , that he only heard from leach one time during the recruiting cycle.

That may be the case but it does not change the fact he wasnt 100 with us. Leach doesnt do the recruiting drama we knew this when we hired him. Majority of recruiting drama kids dont pan out see Jarrian Jones

somebodyshotmypaw
04-05-2021, 01:06 PM
Ive said it before but Cumbest needs to pick one

I understand. The problem is that if Cumbest picks baseball, he loses his full scholarship.

viverlibre
04-05-2021, 01:15 PM

Every punt Austin fair caught, it looked like it was his first time ever to field a punt. Looked like he had trouble judging the ball.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2021, 01:25 PM
That may be the case but it does not change the fact he wasnt 100 with us. Leach doesnt do the recruiting drama we knew this when we hired him. Majority of recruiting drama kids dont pan out see Jarrian Jones

Chris Jones, Nakobe Dean, Cam Akers, Willie Gay, Raekwon Davis, & countless others disagree. Recruiting drama doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Just like there are plenty of no nonsense kids who can't play.

msstate7
04-05-2021, 01:33 PM
Chris Jones, Nakobe Dean, Cam Akers, Willie Gay, Raekwon Davis, & countless others disagree. Recruiting drama doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Just like there are plenty of no nonsense kids who can't play.

Gotta deal with some drama for certain guys. Could you imagine trying to win in the nfl without some bat shit crazy wrs? (Sorta playing, sorta not)

preachermatt83
04-05-2021, 01:38 PM
That's great & all but they also better be SEC caliber players.

They will be the same caliber kids that have always come to state.

preachermatt83
04-05-2021, 01:41 PM

After he was given the opportunity to shut it down and get fully committed.

preachermatt83
04-05-2021, 01:42 PM

+1

preachermatt83
04-05-2021, 01:44 PM
Gotta deal with some drama for certain guys. Could you imagine trying to win in the nfl without some bat shit crazy wrs? (Sorta playing, sorta not)

Exactly. Certain ones. Comparing Bug Strong to 5 players mentioned is Apples to oranges. It’s a juco kid who will be good but nothing close to those mentioned.

WinningIsRelentless
04-05-2021, 01:50 PM

It also appears to the kids that you aren?t 100% in on them also.

WinningIsRelentless
04-05-2021, 01:51 PM
After he was given the opportunity to shut it down and get fully committed.
No during the whole recruiting process. This one is 100% on Leach.

Offshore Dawg
04-05-2021, 01:56 PM

And your negative point is ??

WinningIsRelentless
04-05-2021, 02:04 PM
And your negative point is ??
Recruiting is like dating/marriage, if you don?t keep showing affirmation someone then you stand a big chance of losing them.

HoopsDawg
04-05-2021, 02:09 PM

ouch that hurts.

HoopsDawg
04-05-2021, 02:10 PM
Recruiting is like dating/marriage, if you don?t keep showing affirmation someone then you stand a big chance of losing them.

mullen liked to say it was like shaving. if you skip one day, you look like a bum.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2021, 02:17 PM
They will be the same caliber kids that have always come to state.

Some of those guys were recruiting drama guys.

Todd4State
04-05-2021, 02:30 PM
QB - I don't see Abraham transferring out & he'll push Will but I believe Will starts.

WR - I don't expect Payton outside when everyone is healthy.

OL - I could see Lashley starting over Kam Jones but who do you have Nick Jones starting over?

LB - Brule is too valuable at WLB to move to MLB

CB - I still expect us to sign a CB out of the portal as the 3rd CB & Richardson can come along at a slower pace.

S - By opening day I expect Green, Peters, & Preston as the 3 starters. I expect Duncan to play a lot also & we'll see on everybody else.

PR - I could see Walley or Rufus

Abraham is coming to start. I can't see him staying around if he doesn't. Which is why he is a walk-on that can earn a scholarship by winning the job.

Probably on Payton. Good to have someone with versatility though. We'll see a rotation of 8-10 receivers every game once Leach gets established.

I think Jones starts over Sharp.

Br?l?e is one of the best leaders on the team and Arnett has mentioned looking at him at MLB. He is good at Will but he is versatile and good enough to play both wherever he is needed.

We're talking about a third corner. So by nature Richardson is going to be brought along slowly anyway. Green can play corner as well. I don't think it's as big a need as some think. There is a lot of MSU fan see it to believe it with that position going on.

We have better depth at safety than people realize. Goes back to how healthy Morgan really is.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2021, 02:43 PM
Abraham is coming to start. I can't see him staying around if he doesn't. Which is why he is a walk-on that can earn a scholarship by winning the job.

Probably on Payton. Good to have someone with versatility though. We'll see a rotation of 8-10 receivers every game once Leach gets established.

Br?l?e is one of the best leaders on the team and Arnett has mentioned looking at him at MLB. He is good at Will but he is versatile and good enough to play both wherever he is needed.

We're talking about a third corner. So by nature Richardson is going to be brought along slowly anyway. Green can play corner as well. I don't think it's as big a need as some think. There is a lot of MSU fan see it to believe it with that position going on.

We have better depth at safety than people realize. Goes back to how healthy Morgan really is.

We'll see but I don't see Abraham leaving.

Sharp has been arguably our best OL so far this spring. I don't see Nick Jones starting.

Brule isn't really physical enough to hold down the MLB & that makes 2 spots weaker moving him from WLB.

A 3rd CB is 100% needed. The fact we're going after every DB that hits the portal tells you the coaches think the same.

Preston & Duncan progress like they should we have 4 legit safeties. Morgan & Lawrence & Dean & Croft can provide depth.

Johnson85
04-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Pretty sure Payton was only taking outside reps because Tulu and Ducking were a little banged up and held out. I'll be shocked if he plays inside and out during the season, barring more injuries, especially with 3 outside receivers joining in the summer.

I'll believe in Lashley when I see it. He's been in college for 100 years and never contributed. It's always something with him.

Well, if by "always something" you mean he spent most of his career sitting behind better athletes at Alabama, and was injured last year, then yes, it's always been something with him. Now I don't expect him to be all SEC or anything, but I would not have been shocked if he started for us last year, and I won't be shocked if he starts for us this year. I am guessing he's either going to be a backup or a weak link starter for us.

Johnson85
04-05-2021, 03:58 PM

Why would Abraham come to state if he was dead set on starting? I guess he could look to transfer to a DII school last second or something if it becomes clear he isn't going to be the starter sometime this summer? But it seems like if he wanted to start, he wouldn't have transferred to a P5 school with a returning starter.

Todd4State
04-05-2021, 04:48 PM
Why would Abraham come to state if he was dead set on starting? I guess he could look to transfer to a DII school last second or something if it becomes clear he isn't going to be the starter sometime this summer? But it seems like if he wanted to start, he wouldn't have transferred to a P5 school with a returning starter.

That's just how the portal culture is. If you're a player that is transferring the vast majority of the time you're going somewhere that you can start. Competitors think that they can win anything. And I'm sure Abraham feels like he is capable of beating out Rogers. Abraham is following the same blueprint as Gardner Minchew.

WinningIsRelentless
04-05-2021, 04:53 PM
That's just how the portal culture is. If you're a player that is transferring the vast majority of the time you're going somewhere that you can start. Competitors think that they can win anything. And I'm sure Abraham feels like he is capable of beating out Rogers. Abraham is following the same blueprint as Gardner Minchew.

He?s coming to learn Leach system to help his future coaching career.

BuckyIsAB****
04-05-2021, 07:02 PM

I dont remember those kids committing and decommitting 3 or 4 times. I remember Willie Gay was ? committed? to OM at one point and maybe Davis. There is a difference

BuckyIsAB****
04-05-2021, 07:05 PM

Abraham isnt starting hate to tell you. He came for Leach and Leach will always play the best one so in a way I guess youre right but he knew his chances of beating Will werent very good

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2021, 07:45 PM
I dont remember those kids committing and decommitting 3 or 4 times. I remember Willie Gay was ? committed? to OM at one point and maybe Davis. There is a difference

Multiple commitments isn't the only recruiting drama which is the phrase you used. Chris Jones only committed once & it was months before signing day but he may be the biggest recruiting drama in MSU history. If you want elite talent you're going to have to deal with the drama sometimes.

thf24
04-05-2021, 08:05 PM
One type of drama that absolutely has a relatively clear pattern of busting are specifically those who play OM's cutesy orchestrated flip game. That obviously wasn't the case for most of the names mentioned in the last few posts, though.

RiverCityDawg
04-05-2021, 09:50 PM
Well, if by "always something" you mean he spent most of his career sitting behind better athletes at Alabama, and was injured last year, then yes, it's always been something with him. Now I don't expect him to be all SEC or anything, but I would not have been shocked if he started for us last year, and I won't be shocked if he starts for us this year. I am guessing he's either going to be a backup or a weak link starter for us.

He had some small injury issues at Alabama that contributed to him staying behind, he had something small once he came to State prior to the injury that kept him out all of last year, and he's already been banged up some from a different injury this offseason. Heck he almost didn't even come back this season, just was going to move on with life.

I wouldn't have been shocked if he started for us some last season either, we were down 7 guys at one point, playing a guys in positions they had never played. And we still don't have much depth across the OL, nor do we know how the contact tracing rules will look this year, so won't be shocked if he ends up as a starter at some point this year.

It would be nice if he could just be a solid, dependable starter or rotational player. Nothing special, just decent and available. I'm just saying he's never been a contributor and/or consistently available so far in his 5+ year career, so at this point I'll believe he's that guy when I see it. I hope he is.

Todd4State
04-05-2021, 10:03 PM

Did Akers and Nakobe Dean commit somewhere and then flip? I know Ole Miss was obsessed with both and I think that was mostly the root of the drama. I'm not sure that the players completely welcomed it on their own. That has to be difficult for any player to get that kind of pressure when it's not really welcomed.

And I agree that there is a difference between that and a guy that just wants to do a hat ceremony basically for the sole purpose of rubbing someone's nose in something. To me, that's pretty classless given the time and effort that college staffs put into giving a player an opportunity to play college football which I'm sure includes giving those players advice and guidance at times throughout the recruiting process.

Reunion Dog
04-06-2021, 02:03 AM
OL is gonna be a huge weak link again.

Get ready for it. It's amazing to me that we haven't addressed it in the portal as much as we needed to.. can't protect a passing QB... Then it will be ugly again..

If Will's arm isn't stronger... He will lose the job midseason if not sooner... Got to be able to throw it longer than 10-15 yards and have to have some zip on those throws too... Not knocking the kid... Love his BIG ole heart... But he absolutely has to be able to throw the long one... And not just float it up there when he does ...

Todd4State
04-06-2021, 02:39 AM

Get ready for it. It's amazing to me that we haven't addressed it in the portal as much as we needed to.. can't protect a passing QB... Then it will be ugly again..

If Will's arm isn't stronger... He will lose the job midseason if not sooner... Got to be able to throw it longer than 10-15 yards and have to have some zip on those throws too... Not knocking the kid... Love his BIG ole heart... But he absolutely has to be able to throw the long one... And not just float it up there when he does ...

I don't think they will be worse than last year. We return four guys that started last year and our line will be mostly experienced players.

99jc
04-06-2021, 05:54 AM

nope offensive line will be improved .....you have nothing to base your opinion on. we don't need a lot of time in the pocket with the air raid when it is clicking.

Lord McBuckethead
04-06-2021, 10:45 AM
What about Sawyer?

HoopsDawg
04-06-2021, 10:53 AM
I don't think they will be worse than last year. We return four guys that started last year and our line will be mostly experienced players.

we lost our 2 starting guards. We should have picked up a portal Olinemen.

msstate7
04-06-2021, 10:53 AM
What about Sawyer?

Not here yet, I think

Tbonewannabe
04-06-2021, 11:20 AM
What about Sawyer?

Playing baseball I think.