PDA

View Full Version : Some baseball thoughts

KOdawg1
04-03-2021, 05:59 PM
1. A sweep is a sweep. I'll never be disappointed in an SEC series win, much less a sweep. Three wins this weekend helped offset getting swept last weekend. So we're kinda back where we're supposed to be.

2. Our hitting still sucks. Starting to feel like we just are who we are at this point. Our approaches are terrible and we just take half-a** swings at the ball. James and Hancock are the only ones who hit the ball with any authority. So that's still the bad news. Some good news? It looks like Rowdey is starting to come out of his slump. He went 5-11 this weekend, and he quietly has a 6 game hitting streak going. LoTan had a nice opposite field HR today. His average still continues to drop though.

3. Hatcher has to sit. It's not fair to him or the team. He made some solid contact this weekend at times, but he's still pressing as can been seen by his zero walks. Idk what the solution is honestly. You could move Allen to 1B and put Cumbest in RF. You could give Pimentel or Clark a chance off the bench. Hancock was getting warm up reps at first this weekend. That's an intriguing option if he can handle it. Whatever the alternative is, you have to explore it because the kid is an automatic out, and he needs some time to get his mind right.

4. The starting pitching looked pretty good. Great outing from Mac, Bednar was good until he got tired, and Fristoe competed about as well as you could expect a freshman to do. We've got to manage our bullpen better though. This is two weeks in a row now that we've mismanaged Sims. Last week he didn't touch the mound until Sunday (after it was too late), and this week he only threw 2 innings. He's a weapon that most teams don't have. Use him. If Saturday (or the second game of the series) is the only game you're going to throw him, then it needs to be 3-4 innings. Otherwise, throw him a couple of innings on Friday and then the same on Sunday.

5. Defensively we were disappointing. You can win big in this league as long as you're good in 2 of hitting, pitching, and fielding. We're currently only good in one. Gotta get these sloppy mistakes fixed. We have at least one error in six straight games.

6. Auburn is next week. They should've won this week's series vs. Arkansas, but they choked. They have legit pitchers, so a series win isn't a given. Going to have to pitch it well, play clean defense, and have situational hitting in order to get 2.

7. Oh, GTHOM.

KOdawg1
04-03-2021, 06:04 PM
I'll also add..

8. It was nice to see us play a full series without those God awful black uniforms. I know it's because we didn't play on Sunday, but all three looks this week were solid. If we want to wear those pajamas, wear them in the midweek when no one is watching. Rant over.

Rex54
04-03-2021, 06:05 PM
Hatcher had quite a few frozen rope outs. He's coming around, it's obvious.

Only Kamren James has more extra base hits on the team than Josh Hatcher. People calling for his benching will look like fools come June.

HoopsDawg
04-03-2021, 06:12 PM
Very interesting about Hancock getting reps at 1B. If he can handle it, that opens up the DH spot for Cumbest or Clark or even Kyte McDonald. I hope we are getting those guys live AB's during the week. We should never waste a KC Hunt or Mikey Tepper bullpen without Clark and Cumbest taking Live ABs.

It was great not having to look at those awful black PJ's. I agree 100%

I liked seeing Lemo try something different at 2nd base today and Leggett answered the call. I think he can hit .270+ for us.

KOdawg1
04-03-2021, 06:14 PM

Only Kamren James has more extra base hits on the team than Josh Hatcher. People calling for his benching will look like fools come June.

False. Hancock and Rowdey have more, and LoTan is tied with him.

I'm not saying permanently bench the guy. But he needs to sit a few games in order to hit the reset button. I don't think our options behind him will allow us to keep him benched. But a change of scenery helps with slumps. Ask Rowdey.

Coach34
04-03-2021, 06:20 PM

Holy shirts and pants what a bad take. He swung at a 2-0 pitch that bounced, turning an ad count into a strikeout. Decent hitters walk some because they swing at good pitches. He has the fewest hits in our line-up except Forsythe because of fewer AB's. Forsythe will pass him in a couple of weeks. He is an automatic out and needs to be replaced 2 weeks ago.

bulldogcountry1
04-03-2021, 06:30 PM

Umm...ok.

If Hancock can play first, that?s the best overall option He?s a solid catcher, but LT is so good defensively. He needs to be back there for every SEC game. If we can free up the DH, we have more options.

BeardoMSU
04-03-2021, 06:35 PM

Put down the crack pipe. Holy shit, lol.

https://i.gifer.com/1luC.gif

BeardoMSU
04-03-2021, 06:36 PM
1. A sweep is a sweep. I'll never be disappointed in an SEC series win, much less a sweep. Three wins this weekend helped offset getting swept last weekend. So we're kinda back where we're supposed to be.

2. Our hitting still sucks. Starting to feel like we just are who we are at this point. Our approaches are terrible and we just take half-a** swings at the ball. James and Hancock are the only ones who hit the ball with any authority. So that's still the bad news. Some good news? It looks like Rowdey is starting to come out of his slump. He went 5-11 this weekend, and he quietly has a 6 game hitting streak going. LoTan had a nice opposite field HR today. His average still continues to drop though.

3. Hatcher has to sit. It's not fair to him or the team. He made some solid contact this weekend at times, but he's still pressing as can been seen by his zero walks. Idk what the solution is honestly. You could move Allen to 1B and put Cumbest in RF. You could give Pimentel or Clark a chance off the bench. Hancock was getting warm up reps at first this weekend. That's an intriguing option if he can handle it. Whatever the alternative is, you have to explore it because the kid is an automatic out, and he needs some time to get his mind right.

4. The starting pitching looked pretty good. Great outing from Mac, Bednar was good until he got tired, and Fristoe competed about as well as you could expect a freshman to do. We've got to manage our bullpen better though. This is two weeks in a row now that we've mismanaged Sims. Last week he didn't touch the mound until Sunday (after it was too late), and this week he only threw 2 innings. He's a weapon that most teams don't have. Use him. If Saturday (or the second game of the series) is the only game you're going to throw him, then it needs to be 3-4 innings. Otherwise, throw him a couple of innings on Friday and then the same on Sunday.

5. Defensively we were disappointing. You can win big in this league as long as you're good in 2 of hitting, pitching, and fielding. We're currently only good in one. Gotta get these sloppy mistakes fixed. We have at least one error in six straight games.

6. Auburn is next week. They should've won this week's series vs. Arkansas, but they choked. They have legit pitchers, so a series win isn't a given. Going to have to pitch it well, play clean defense, and have situational hitting in order to get 2.

7. Oh, GTHOM.

Good stuff, KO.

Bulldog1
04-03-2021, 06:38 PM

Lol, no.

aGAIN, Allen to 1B, Cumbest to RF, and Hatcher to the bench; or Hancock at 1B and keep Allen in RF.

BeardoMSU
04-03-2021, 06:43 PM
Lol, no.

aGAIN, Allen to 1B, Cumbest to RF, and Hatcher to the bench; or Hancock at 1B and keep Allen in RF.

I'd be down trying Tanner at 1st again. We went to OMAHA with that formula.

Rex54
04-03-2021, 06:50 PM
I don't know anything.

Ban bet - Hatcher has a better OBP and K% than Cumbest rest of season in SEC games.

BeardoMSU
04-03-2021, 06:55 PM
Ban bet - Hatcher has a better OBP and K% than Cumbest rest of season in SEC games.

Cumbest isn't going to be replacing Hatch at 1st, you mook. I mean, wtf?

KOdawg1
04-03-2021, 06:58 PM

Lol using K% as a stat in a ban bet involving Cumbest is just a pure bait move.

Rex54
04-03-2021, 06:59 PM

You moron. If Allen moves to 1st who goes in the OF. The bet was around offensive categories not fielding % at 1st Base dummy.

BeardoMSU
04-03-2021, 07:00 PM
You moron. If Allen moves to 1st who goes in the OF. The bet was around offensive categories not fielding % at 1st Base dummy.

Yeah, I'm clearly the moron here, lol.

BeardoMSU
04-03-2021, 07:02 PM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/3ohhwMHZ4rusG6dcti/giphy.gif

The Federalist Engineer
04-03-2021, 07:18 PM

Make sense - then - spit out drink

https://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/image_lg/di_05812.jpg

Rex54
04-03-2021, 07:20 PM

It's a hugely important stat... which is why I included OBP also... if it's such a foregone conclusion that Cumbest will K all the tome why is there this push to put him in the lineup.

The Federalist Engineer
04-03-2021, 07:35 PM
Very interesting about Hancock getting reps at 1B. If he can handle it, that opens up the DH spot for Cumbest or Clark or even Kyte McDonald. I hope we are getting those guys live AB's during the week. We should never waste a KC Hunt or Mikey Tepper bullpen without Clark and Cumbest taking Live ABs.

It was great not having to look at those awful black PJ's. I agree 100%

I liked seeing Lemo try something different at 2nd base today and Leggett answered the call. I think he can hit .270+ for us.

Hancock to 1B would be a game changer and right-on for the bullpens. We get a truly optimized DH position.

Plus it gives us two catchers in the game. With Hancock as DH, he cannot replace Tanner in the game. Someone check if my logic is busted on DH substitution.

Mjoelner34
04-03-2021, 08:08 PM
I'll also add..

8. It was nice to see us play a full series without those God awful black uniforms. I know it's because we didn't play on Sunday, but all three looks this week were solid. If we want to wear those pajamas, wear them in the midweek when no one is watching. Rant over.

+1

Turfdawg67
04-03-2021, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=BeardoMSU;1316946]Put down the crack pipe. Holy shit, lol.

Is it me or is this guy just a troll??

Commercecomet24
04-03-2021, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=BeardoMSU;1316946]Put down the crack pipe. Holy shit, lol.

Is it me or is this guy just a troll??

I believe you are correct, sir!

Turfdawg67
04-03-2021, 08:19 PM
1. A sweep is a sweep. I'll never be disappointed in an SEC series win....

Great post. And just think of how close this could've been to a 1-2 weekend. Good teams find a way to win. I wish we could've taken one from Arkansas, but this was a great series.

HoopsDawg
04-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Great post. And just think of how close this could've been to a 1-2 weekend. Good teams find a way to win. I wish we could've taken one from Arkansas, but this was a great series.

We were +1 on the sun balls and that was the difference.

Saltydog
04-03-2021, 08:32 PM
Yeah, take the sweep anyway we can get it because the next three weeks are going to be extremely tough. We go to Auburn, home to UM and then on the road to Vandy. That's a tough stretch for anybody.

tcdog70
04-03-2021, 09:33 PM
The problem with Hatcher is he is trying to pull the ball and is just rolling ove to second. he is at his best when going to left. Early this year he had 2 doubles to left. Oppo is the way to get out of his slump.

StarkVegasSteve
04-03-2021, 11:22 PM
I?ve been saying for 3 weeks that Hatcher needs to sit. He provides nothing defensively that we couldn?t get from Pimentel, Hancock, Allen, etc. The kid just isn?t seeing the ball well at all. It sucks, but it is what it is and unfortunately for him we?re not in the feelings business. We?re in the we need to win now business so he needs to be sitting.

Rex54
04-04-2021, 12:18 AM
The kid just isn?t seeing the ball well at all.

Multiple very hard line drives this weekend, just finding too many gloves. Watch the games

Really Clark?
04-04-2021, 06:12 AM
Multiple very hard line drives this weekend, just finding too many gloves. Watch the games

He had more strike outs than good contact. He struck out exactly 1/3 of his AB’s this weekend with some bad AB’s. I watched every pitch. When you drop 74 points on your average since the start of SEC play and have the lowest OBP by far of any regular player (Clark is the only one lower I believe and he hadn’t played much at all)...sometimes time off from some starts is a good thing. Doesn’t have to be permanent but there has to be a change at some point because you can’t give some one 275 AB’s with a .200 average and he’s over a third of the way there.

StarkVegasSteve
04-04-2021, 11:20 AM

Hatcher is 2-24 with 2 RBIs and 6 Ks in his last 6 games. What game are you watching that you could possibly think he still needs to be in the lineup?

Rex54
04-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Hatcher is 2-24 with 2 RBIs and 6 Ks in his last 6 games. What game are you watching that you could possibly think he still needs to be in the lineup?

Watch the damn games. He's one of the few that can get the ball to jump off the bat.

Yesterday here is Hatcher's AB's
1st - ground ball up the middle to move the runner over. Did his job! You goons see that as "0-1"
2nd - smokes a grounder right at the 1B. A couple feet either way and it's a hit.
3rd - K. It happens
4th - frozen rope liner to opposite field that gets caught.

All you morons see is "0-4 dang he sux". Watch the damn game.

Coach34
04-04-2021, 01:41 PM
Watch the damn games. He's one of the few that can get the ball to jump off the bat.

1st - ground ball up the middle to move the runner over. Did his job! You goons see that as "0-1"
2nd - smokes a grounder right at the 1B. A couple feet either way and it's a hit.
3rd - K. It happens

I've watched every inning of SEC ball. Go through his 5 AB's Friday night for us when he had the hat trick. It's not about yesterday's 0-4. It's his 4/35 in SEC play and batting .200 thats the problem. Hell- he was hitting .259 OOC so it wasnt like he was killing it before SEC play got going. He is only player on the team that has had 5 or more AB's that has an OBP less than .300

2/9 vs E. Michigan
2/9 vs Kent State
2/12 vs Tulane

6/30 in those 3 series- which is what he is hitting now- .200

No BS Dawg
04-04-2021, 01:59 PM
I've watched every inning of SEC ball. Go through his 5 AB's Friday night for us when he had the hat trick. It's not about yesterday's 0-4. It's his 4/35 in SEC play and batting .200 thats the problem. Hell- he was hitting .259 OOC so it wasnt like he was killing it before SEC play got going. He is only player on the team that has had 5 or more AB's that has an OBP less than .300

2/9 vs E. Michigan
2/9 vs Kent State
2/12 vs Tulane

6/30 in those 3 series- which is what he is hitting now- .200

This is exactly why he needs to grab some pine for a few games.

Rex54
04-04-2021, 02:14 PM
The "Josh Hatcher Fried Crow Tour" begins Tuesday night. Bring your own plates, forks, and knives.

Coach34
04-04-2021, 02:27 PM
What he does Tuesday against the SWAC matters not. It's all about Fri/Sat/Sun

Rex54
04-04-2021, 02:33 PM
What he does Tuesday against the SWAC matters not. It's all about Fri/Sat/Sun

The tour is not a one show event.

Really Clark?
04-04-2021, 05:34 PM

1st - ground ball up the middle to move the runner over. Did his job! You goons see that as "0-1" It was a 2-1 count and he chased a ball low and away well off the plate when he need something to pull to move the runner over. He got that pitch at 2-0 and barely got a piece to foul it off. That was the one and he missed it, again. He did enough to do a job when he flicked his wrist at the last minute but that could have easily been a pop out to short. Which could have lead to Tanner doubled up and losing that run. SS was playing right up the middle. He would have been better off by far going with the pitch and hitting it through that big hole with the shift they had on. But the result you are pimping is from a horrible AB. It was a terrible AB with a workable outcome. That’s using a lucky result from a piss poor example of an AB and a terrible swing
2nd - smokes a grounder right at the 1B. A couple feet either way and it's a hit. Yeah it was hit hard but a dead pull. It was an easy play for the 1st baseman and with that ball location with his swing it was was going to be a ground ball to either going to first or foul. The 1st baseman was on the line and he hit it straight to him.
3rd - K. It happens
4th - frozen rope liner to opposite field that gets caught.Was his best swing by far and great contact. On time and took the pitch where he needed. No question. Happening basically 2-3 times this series doesn’t overcome the 85% of his AB’s that were not good and haven’t been good for a while now. But that was good contact

You are trying too hard. Again, not saying permanently bench, I’m saying he needs to get right and benching him at this point is the best option if we can at all possible.

ETA. He is hitting .114 in SEC play and there are only 2 qualifying players with a lower average. Only 2. Don’t want to wait for him to be dead last before making changes.

Todd4State
04-04-2021, 05:37 PM
You are trying too hard. Again, not saying permanently bench, I’m saying he needs to get right and benching him at this point is the best option if we can at all possible.

Lemonis waits way too long to bench someone. Even worse we have options like Pimentel, Hancock, Allen, Kellum Clark, and Kace Garner off the top of my head.

Really Clark?
04-04-2021, 05:44 PM
Lemonis waits way too long to bench someone. Even worse we have options like Pimentel, Hancock, Allen, Kellum Clark, and Kace Garner off the top of my head.

Cumbest as well if we move Allen back to first

HoopsDawg
04-04-2021, 05:48 PM
The thing about Kellum Clark, yes he is a freshman, but he's going to be 20 next month. He was rated a 10 by Perfect Game. He has a lot of pop. Need to get him some at bats vs Southern for sure.

BeardoMSU
04-04-2021, 05:49 PM
The "Josh Hatcher Fried Crow Tour" begins Tuesday night. Bring your own plates, forks, and knives.

You must be his daddy or girlfriend or something...Because this is quite the hill to die on while calling everyone one else ****ing morons. Also the fact you're doing it on this board, which is probably collectively some of the most informed baseball fans out there. And the fact you just said "wAtCh thA Gamez, y'ALl" is also adorable...as if 90%+ of this board hasn't watched every single pitch, lol. ****. Off.

HoopsDawg
04-04-2021, 05:52 PM

Other than Hatcher, the only options are Clark or Hancock. Lemonis is not going to move Allen back to first. We have seen Pimental. It's either Hatcher, Clark or Hancock at first. Hancock at first opens up the DH spot. So that is intriguing to me. The concern with Clark is that he did not hit well in practice.

Really Clark?
04-04-2021, 05:52 PM
Here is another stat, removing Hatcher’s numbers from the rest of the starters in SEC play moves us from 11th to 7th in the league in average. From .234 to .251. That would put us one spot ahead of Arkansas, in average.

HoopsDawg
04-04-2021, 06:00 PM
You must be his daddy or girlfriend or something...Because this is quite the hill to die on while calling everyone one else ****ing morons. Also the fact you're doing it on this board, which is probably collectively some of the most informed baseball fans out there. And the fact you just said "wAtCh thA Gamez, y'ALl" is also adorable...as if 90%+ of this board hasn't watched every single pitch, lol. ****. Off.

It's really not that bad of a take. Hatcher hit .321 in 2019 with 106 ABs. He hit .311 last year with 61 ABs. And his exit velo is near the top of the team when he squares one up. He has swung at some balls out of the zone, he's had some bad luck, and he hasn't hit well this year. But I understand why our coaches have continued to play him. Clark has not been ready to this point. And Cumbest has shown enough to warrant moving anyone around.

It goes back to Landon Jordan. If Jordan hadn't quit, I would want him at DH with Hancock at 1st base.

Rex54
04-04-2021, 06:27 PM
It's really not that bad of a take. Hatcher hit .321 in 2019 with 106 ABs. He hit .311 last year with 61 ABs. And his exit velo is near the top of the team when he squares one up.

A lot of people are going to look stupid on this one, and that's okay. Same with the "BenCh RoWdEy" crowd.

The Federalist Engineer
04-04-2021, 06:30 PM
It's really not that bad of a take. Hatcher hit .321 in 2019 with 106 ABs. He hit .311 last year with 61 ABs. And his exit velo is near the top of the team when he squares one up. He has swung at some balls out of the zone, he's had some bad luck, and he hasn't hit well this year. But I understand why our coaches have continued to play him. Clark has not been ready to this point. And Cumbest has shown enough to warrant moving anyone around.

It goes back to Landon Jordan. If Jordan hadn't quit, I would want him at DH with Hancock at 1st base.

Nobody is saying that Hatcher should never to play again or that he was horrible before. But in a short college season with a team full of competitive players, you must cultivate a culture of performance and merit.

It actually creates trouble to be lax on accountability. Why couldn’t LJ be given a guaranteed position, he hit 350 two years ago and was outhitting many starters in 2021? It’s not like Hatcher was an All American or All SEC.

This is not the post office, seniority is not supposed to matter. If you are not getting better, then you are getting worse. Enough cliche, but its actually healthy for the program to be merit and performance oriented. It teaches the freshman and non starters that they can continue to work and push the starters.

BeardoMSU
04-04-2021, 06:43 PM
Nobody is saying that Hatcher should never to play again or that he was horrible before. But in a short college season with a team full of competitive players, you must cultivate a culture of performance and merit.

It actually creates trouble to be lax on accountability. Why couldn’t LJ be given a guaranteed position, he hit 350 two years ago and was outhitting many starters in 2021? It’s not like Hatcher was an All American or All SEC.

This is not the post office, seniority is not supposed to matter. If you are not getting better, then you are getting worse. Enough cliche, but its actually healthy for the program to be merit and performance oriented. It teaches the freshman and non starters that they can continue to work and push the starters.

Was about to respond with pretty much this, but you beat me to it. Thanks.

1: it's not about benching forever; it's about sending a message, getting his head right, rest, whatever is need, etc.
2: there's one guy here calling everyone else morons, which is pretty much par for the course on every thread he posts in, lol.
3: our offense obviously has issues; there are literally blackholes in the order...and the HC shaking things up has seen results thus far, so this "shake up" is the obvious next step.

Rex54
04-04-2021, 07:03 PM
it's not about benching forever.

Already walking it back I see. I'm surprised you take the time to watch the games in between Marvel movies.

The Cumbest/Hatcher bet is still live if you want to take it. Lemonis is no dummy. He can see the exit velo off the bat, he can see the missiles hitting gloves like yesterday. He knows his track record of hitting here. And he knows most of all there isn't anything close to that on the bench

BeardoMSU
04-04-2021, 07:22 PM
Already walking it back I see. I'm surprised you take the time to watch the games in between Marvel movies.

The Cumbest/Hatcher bet is still live if you want to take it. Lemonis is no dummy. He can see the exit velo off the bat, he can see the missiles hitting gloves like yesterday. He knows his track record of hitting here. And he knows most of all there isn't anything close to that on the bench

Tf is this Marvel movie schick, lol? If you'd participated in any of the dozen+ film threads on the OT board, you'd know how much of a dipshit you are. Good job staying to your trollin' form tho, douche.

MaroonFlounder
04-04-2021, 07:28 PM

He has played 1st base at the end of several midweek games.

StarkVegasSteve
04-04-2021, 08:09 PM
No one has said bench Hatch indefinitely. The ones who are saying he needs to sit, myself included, want him to sit for the time being to get his mind off of it. We know Hatcher is a good hitter and no one thinks he suddenly forgot to hit, but IMO right now it is best for the team if he sits for a couple of games. He looks lost most at bats. His Ks this weekend were really bad.

Rex54
04-04-2021, 08:18 PM
No one has said bench Hatch indefinitely. The ones who are saying he needs to sit, myself included, want him to sit for the time being to get his mind off of it.

That's not how it works. This is the only sport everyone becomes an armchair psychiatrist! Did you not see the two ropes he hit Sunday right at the defenders? He's making hard contact, it will soon begin to find holes. There's nobody close to his upside on the bench so instead of sitting him to appease the Psych 101 crowd, we should play him and give ourselves the best chance to win baseball games.

Really Clark?
04-04-2021, 09:05 PM
That's not how it works. This is the only sport everyone becomes an armchair psychiatrist! Did you not see the two ropes he hit Sunday right at the defenders? He's making hard contact, it will soon begin to find holes. There's nobody close to his upside on the bench so instead of sitting him to appease the Psych 101 crowd, we should play him and give ourselves the best chance to win baseball games.

That is exactly how it works. There has to be a stopping point where you get a player outside the lines to reset. It may not work, sometimes it takes a player months to get back right. Sometimes it never happens. But you cannot keep pushing someone into the lineup that is in a huge slump and still decreasing to the point that he is almost the worse in the league. .114 is NOT someone who is just snake bit. He is in a horrific slump over the first 9 SEC games and over the last 14 games he has dropped from .260 to .200 and unfortunately we are over half way through the season with 3 huge series ahead. Obviously a good hitting Hatcher helps this team immensely, but don’t point to one hard hit line drive and dead pull hard ground as evidence when he stunk up the whole series and went 0’fer for the weekend including some horrible AB’s this weekend. None of us are seeing what he is doing at practice so all we can do is look at his swings over this weekend, over the start of the SEC and over the last 14 games (which is a full quarter of our season) and he has had very bad mechanic breakdowns, bad plate discipline, and looks to be in his head guessing a lot.

skadoosh14
04-04-2021, 11:20 PM
This is two weeks in a row now that we've mismanaged Sims. Last week he didn't touch the mound until Sunday (after it was too late), and this week he only threw 2 innings. He's a weapon that most teams don't have. Use him. If Saturday (or the second game of the series) is the only game you're going to throw him, then it needs to be 3-4 innings. Otherwise, throw him a couple of innings on Friday and then the same on Sunday.

Why would you want to throw Sims in a game where we're up by 4 in the top of the 7th with a fantastic bullpen? It makes so much more sense to save him for a close game. You know, like one where we're tied with 2 innings left.

I'm so glad Lemonis and co manages the pitching staff instead of forum posters.

KOdawg1
04-05-2021, 06:42 AM
Why would you want to throw Sims in a game where we're up by 4 in the top of the 7th with a fantastic bullpen? It makes so much more sense to save him for a close game. You know, like one where we're tied with 2 innings left.

I'm so glad Lemonis and co manages the pitching staff instead of forum posters.
He didn't pitch a meaningful inning against Arkansas. Not one. And he should've came in to close the game on Saturday. That was a close game. You know, like the one where we're up by one run with a chance to sweep the series.

And fr? You mean to tell me that I don't manage the team??? News to me.**

Really Clark?
04-05-2021, 08:45 AM
He has played 1st base at the end of several midweek games.

That’s not correct. Pimentel I believe is the only other to spend time at first

Johnson85
04-05-2021, 09:26 AM

You realize if that wasn't how it worked, you'd never see anybody lose a starting spot once they earned it? Letting a reasonably proven hitter work through a slump is the first and best approach. But Hatcher has been given half the season to work through it and he has regressed. And the pitching isn't getting easier. He's probably not going to figure it out right now. Rowdy is an odd player that can suck it up for half the season and then be better than average the next half. Hatcher unfortunately probably isn't figuring it out at this point because if he were, he'd probably already have shown some signs. BUt you can't just give up on him and send him out their to keep sucking to punish him for not being as good as he was previously. You have to at least try to make adjustments and see if that shakes him out of it. Probably won't work, but worst case scenario is we get some younger players experience while they suck just as hard as Hatcher has been sucking.

trob115
04-05-2021, 09:35 AM

3rd - K. It happens

I spit my drink out laughing at this.... Hatcher couldn't hit a beach ball right now.

Dude might eventually figure it out, but he needs several games on the pine.

Clark is supposedly going to start tomorrow at 1B.