PDA

View Full Version : Ray or Mullen or both?

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Who gets credit for landing DeRunnya Wilson and Elijah Staley? Is Ray just lucky that Mullen has gotten two football players that also want to play basketball and Mullen has said ok? Or is it the other way around that Ray showed these two basketball players to Mullen because they want to play both sports? Whoever got Bear needs to be known.

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2013, 01:24 PM
I give both credit. Playing basketball may have pushed MSU over the top, but they wouldn't have come here unless they were happy playing football here.

slickdawg
11-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Both. I remember an article where on his OV, Ray had to break his neck to get back to Vegas so he could talk with Bear about playing hoops along with football. Bear might want to stick with football, he's an NFL talent, just has to learn the game - only played what, 2 years in high school?

C222
11-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Both with Elijah. He decommitted from Vandy because they wouldn't let him play both.

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I think it's more likely that Bear plays both than Elijah. WR is an easier position and Ellington at SC has proven you can do both. Not sure you can be an SEC QB and play basketball though

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Has Wheeler's basketball season started yet? Brunswick can you keep us updated on Staley's basketball season? Thanks

smootness
11-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Both with Elijah. He decommitted from Vandy because they wouldn't let him play both.

Yes, and this is the main thing that gave us the edge with Wilson over Auburn, too.

Of course, now it appears as though Wilson may never play basketball. But Ray was an integral part of his recruitment. Staley's, too, as I'm sure coachcamp can attest. As I said in an earlier post, I met Ray at a Wheeler game while there to watch Staley.

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Has Wheeler's basketball season started yet? Smootness can you keep us updated on Staley's basketball season? Thanks

fifm

BrunswickDawg
11-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Has Wheeler's basketball season started yet? Brunswick can you keep us updated on Staley's basketball season? Thanks
"Just when I thought I was out.... they pulled me back in" - I had not even thought about writing up basketball. The season is just about to start, so I'll try to dig some things up.

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 03:27 PM
"Just when I thought I was out.... they pulled me back in" - I had not even thought about writing up basketball. The season is just about to start, so I'll try to dig some things up.

Haha love The Soprano's quote! One of my favorite shows of all time.

smootness
11-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Haha I'm sure I'll go to a couple of games this year. Wheeler will be flat loaded. They have a couple of 2015 5-stars in addition to Staley.

They made it to the state semis last year with a very young team; I'm assuming they will be overwhelming favorites to win the state title this year.

I actually saw them play last year in the semifinals; I knew then Staley was somewhat on our radar for football but wasn't really paying much attention, as I figured it was a long shot.

BrunswickDawg
11-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Wheeler will be loaded and they should run deep into the State Tournament. As good as it would be to have Elijah here for spring, you can't blame him for wanting to make a legit title run with that team.

As much as it pains me to say this (since Wheeler was a rival in HS), they put out some top notch talent. Doug Lipscomb is a helluva coach.

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Do you know these 5* names?

BrunswickDawg
11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Do you know these 5* names?
Daniel Giddens is one - he's 6'9"

fishwater99
11-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Yes, and this is the main thing that gave us the edge with Wilson over Auburn, too.

Of course, now it appears as though Wilson may never play basketball. But Ray was an integral part of his recruitment. Staley's, too, as I'm sure coachcamp can attest. As I said in an earlier post, I met Ray at a Wheeler game while there to watch Staley.

Why is he not going to play basketball?

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Daniel Giddens is one - he's 6'9"

Looks like we have ourselves a new target. Maybe he'll want to play with Elijah at MSU.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Daniel-Giddens-131550

dawgman
11-11-2013, 07:17 PM
I think it's more likely that Bear plays both than Elijah. WR is an easier position and Ellington at SC has proven you can do both. Not sure you can be an SEC QB and play basketball though

You might tell Charlie Ward he couldn't be a QB and play basketball.

Coach34
11-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Why is he not going to play basketball?

playing a college sport takes up alot of time. I imagine after football he might want to rest some before Spring Practice, chase some ho's, and enjoy life a little. He is an NFL talent in football- his is a 6'5 post player in basketball

sbcmortgageman
11-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Wheeler will be loaded and they should run deep into the State Tournament. As good as it would be to have Elijah here for spring, you can't blame him for wanting to make a legit title run with that team.

As much as it pains me to say this (since Wheeler was a rival in HS), they put out some top notch talent. Doug Lipscomb is a helluva coach.

Staley graduating early wasn't an option. He lacked one class he couldn't take/get credit for to enroll early. He had to finish HS in the spring.

smootness
11-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Giddens is one, Jaylen Brown is the other - #8 overall player in the country for 2015 according to 247.

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Giddens is one, Jaylen Brown is the other - #8 overall player in the country for 2015 according to 247.

Wow that's a lot of talent for one school! Here's to us somehow landing all 3 and being Wheeler University. We already have 1 so that means we have our foot in the door already.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=6131609

smootness
11-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Haha unfortunately every school in the country has their foot in the door to Wheeler.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim, JJ Hickson, Jermareo Davidson, Sharaud Curry...

They're always loaded. Remember Jelan Kendrick at Ole Miss, by way of Memphis? Went to Wheeler. They have guys like that every year...had a 5-star in 2010, two 4-stars in 2009, a 5-star in 2008, a 5-star in 2007...

The crazy thing is, there were 3 schools doing that in GA on a consistent basis (Wheeler, Norcross, and Milton), but Milton just had their program essentially destroyed. They all get kids to transfer in constantly.

sbcmortgageman
11-12-2013, 05:39 AM
They're always loaded.

Sounds like the South Panola of TN basketball.

smootness
11-12-2013, 09:46 AM
They're always loaded.

Sounds like the South Panola of TN basketball.

Wheeler is in GA.