PDA

View Full Version : What happens to old stadiums like Turner Field?

Tbonewannabe
11-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Just started thinking about it and wondered what you do with it. Just tear it down or is there some way to use it? It kind of reminds me of Metrocenter is now being used but I wont be surprised if Northpark mall is sitting empty in 5 years in Ridgeland.

Political Hack
11-11-2013, 11:47 AM
someone today suggested an AL team could take it over but I doubt that would happen in Atlanta. This isn't exactly LA or NY.

FISHDAWG
11-11-2013, 11:48 AM
they get banned by anxious moderators and fade into oblivion

curmudgeon
11-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Not sure. Remember Turner Field was originally Olympic Stadium. I think all "stadia olympia" have to be up kept for world peace or some other bullcrap.

Even the Nazi Olympic Stadium is still in operation: http://www.olympiastadion-berlin.de

SignalToNoise
11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Not sure. Remember Turner Field was originally Olympic Stadium. I think all "stadia olympia" have to be up kept for world peace or some other bullcrap.

Even the Nazi Olympic Stadium is still in operation: http://www.olympiastadion-berlin.de

Your premiere destination for Bundesliga matches and obscure track and field championships.

engie
11-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I see it being Demolished.

It's no longer Centennial Olympic Stadium as is. That was an 80k seat venue... So, are they supposed to spend $100mil+ to convert it back only to sit empty on the edge of a ghetto?

smootness
11-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Unless there's something that actually does require a city to keep Olympic stadiums, I'd guess they will tear it down. There hasn't been another Olympic Stadium, that I can think of, that was changed and converted to a single-sport stadium, and old open-air baseball stadiums aren't exactly easy to use for other events.

There really is no reason to keep it up; you might as well tear it down and allow the city to try to come up with a creative use for the space.

Political Hack
11-11-2013, 12:28 PM
GaState wants their own, smaller stadium. This could be their chance. they'll never fill up the GaDome.

msstate7
11-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Georgia tech just raised the bar for college stadiums**

curmudgeon
11-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Montreal converted Olympic Stadium for the Expos, and its still there.

http://parcolympique.qc.ca/en/

I have no idea where to look, but I swear someone told me that part of the Olympic host's commitment was to never demolish its Olympic Stadium. Sort of like a historic building in a shady neighborhood.

Starting with Atlanta and going back:

Atlanta: still in use (baseball)
Barcelona: Still in use (soccer)
Seoul: Still in use (soccer)
Los Angeles: Still in use (American football)
Moscow: Still in use (soccer)
Montreal: Still in use (soccer, CFL)
Munich: Not in use since 2005 but still standing
Mexico City: Still in use (soccer)
Tokyo: Still in use (will be renovated for 2020 Olympics)
Rome: Still in use (soccer)
Melbourne: Still in use (cricket)
Helsinki: Still in use (soccer)
London: Now Wembley Stadium
Berlin: Still in use (soccer)
Los Angeles: Still in use (American football)
Amsterdam: Sports Museum
Paris: Still in use (rugby)
Antwerp: Still in use (soccer)
Stockholm: Still in use (track)
London: Demolished in 1985
St. Louis: now owned by Washington University
Paris: Still in use (track)
Athens: Historic - it was originally built in 140 BC

So going all the way back to 1896, only one stadium has been demolished, and that's 1908's stadium in London.

Tbonewannabe
11-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Is soccer big enough in Atlanta to convert it to that? I know MLS is growing.