William Tecumsah Sherman
03-31-2021, 11:07 AM
Men?s team loses a PG

BeardoMSU
03-31-2021, 11:10 AM
that sucks...

PMDawg
03-31-2021, 11:10 AM
Sucks for us, but his style doesn't really mesh with what Howland wants to do. If he lands at the right spot, he should put up a lot of points. He's pretty, let's say "unsteady", as a ball handler considering he's a PG, but there's a lot of talent there.

msstate7
03-31-2021, 11:15 AM
This is a blow. We have to get another handler now to reach potential next season

maroonmania
03-31-2021, 11:20 AM
This is a blow. We have to get another handler now to reach potential next season

Agree, he was one of the few guys on the team that could handle pressure. That Memphis game would have been UGLY without him.

Will also say that this is another reason college basketball has lost a lot of popularity. Men's basketball programs are nothing but revolving doors. Hard to develop any connection with them. Between all the early exits for the NBA draft and the perpetual transferring when added to normal graduation, its like a brand new team every year. Almost like following a minor league baseball team.

StarkVegasSteve
03-31-2021, 11:23 AM
17 17 17 17 17!!!!!!

This is a huge blow for us. It forces DJ to be the backup next year if he returns. This puts us up a creek when Molinar leaves.

msstate7
03-31-2021, 11:26 AM
17 17 17 17 17!!!!!!

This is a huge blow for us. It forces DJ to be the backup next year if he returns. This puts us up a creek when Molinar leaves.

We have to hit the portal for a handler, even if he's basically just a backup. I want no part of Stewart running the point

msstate7
03-31-2021, 11:28 AM
Any reason given? Hopefully this signals Molinar and Stewart will both be back

StarkVegasSteve
03-31-2021, 11:34 AM

You could look at it positively and say that maybe this means we're bringing in Jeffries so we couldn't move Molinar to the 2 and Stewart to the 3. Regardless we have to find a solid backup PG for next year. It's just going to be hard to find a guy to come in and accept that role.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-31-2021, 11:35 AM
We've been reaching out to PG's in the portal before today. We've been on this for a minute.

thf24
03-31-2021, 11:36 AM
Hopefully this signals Molinar and Stewart will both be back

I'm not sure it would have had any bearing. If we're going to play a 4-out 1-in next year, I feel like we certainly would have started Smith-Molinar-Stewart.

Cooterpoot
03-31-2021, 11:36 AM

Neither are expected to leave

msstate7
03-31-2021, 11:40 AM
Neither are expected to leave

Best news all day

msstate7
03-31-2021, 11:41 AM
We've been reaching out to PG's in the portal before today. We've been on this for a minute.

Starting or depth type player?

msstate7
03-31-2021, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure it would have had any bearing. If we're going to play a 4-out 1-in next year, I feel like we certainly would have started Smith-Molinar-Stewart.

True

Ifyouonlyknew
03-31-2021, 11:47 AM
Starting or depth type player?

We haven't been reaching out for depth

R2Dawg
03-31-2021, 11:51 AM
You could look at it positively and say that maybe this means we're bringing in Jeffries so we couldn't move Molinar to the 2 and Stewart to the 3. Regardless we have to find a solid backup PG for next year. It's just going to be hard to find a guy to come in and accept that role.

What is the deal with Jeffries? Is he really a possible pickup? Would be great.

Hate Smith is leaving; really like his game and potential.

msstate7
03-31-2021, 11:51 AM
Is Justin Powell from auburn on our radar?

R2Dawg
03-31-2021, 11:52 AM
Beginning to really hate this transfer portal. All it seems to do is hurt us.

msstate7
03-31-2021, 11:54 AM

Tolu smith helped

Ifyouonlyknew
03-31-2021, 11:57 AM

May want to let this situation play out 1st.

William Tecumsah Sherman
03-31-2021, 11:57 AM
Selfishly, I don?t like the portal. I like following players for several years and watching the team grow. Just old school I guess

msstate7
03-31-2021, 11:59 AM

Don't you tease me haha

BeardoMSU
03-31-2021, 12:00 PM
Best news all day

If you're in the market for a buzzkill, head over to Twitter.**

Ifyouonlyknew
03-31-2021, 12:05 PM
Selfishly, I don?t like the portal. I like following players for several years and watching the team grow. Just old school I guess

The "portal" is new but MSU gaining & losing basketball players to transfer is a 20yr endeavor. Robert Jackson, Lawrence Roberts, Shane Power, Delk twins, Hansbrough, Osby, Hood the list goes on & on.

Big4Dawg
03-31-2021, 12:06 PM
17 17 17 17 17!!!!!!

You probably didn't realize but DJ was the PG the last 1/3 of the season. and probably was going to be next year as well.

R2Dawg
03-31-2021, 12:08 PM
The "portal" is new but MSU gaining & losing basketball players to transfer is a 20yr endeavor. Robert Jackson, Lawrence Roberts, Shane Power, Delk twins, Hansbrough, Osby, Hood the list goes on & on.

Transfer portal just made is too easy to jump ship.

HailStateSZN19
03-31-2021, 12:10 PM

Sounds like there?s a plan in place and wheels in motion & this is just a byproduct of it and a step in that plan coming into place.... interested to see what comes of this.

Hypnodawg
03-31-2021, 12:10 PM
Wow. Losing the only true ball handler. That hurts.

thf24
03-31-2021, 12:12 PM

Did the portal really even change things much besides taking the athletes' transfer process online?

msstate7
03-31-2021, 12:14 PM
You probably didn't realize but DJ was the PG the last 1/3 of the season. and probably was going to be next year as well.

Last 1/3 of season (10 games), d. Smith avg'd 24.7 mins/game. I would think most of that was him at pt

Coach34
03-31-2021, 12:38 PM
Lots of smoke out we are adding at least 2 transfers plus looking to add a PG now. We are working hard because we have the group to make a run next year

StarkVegasSteve
03-31-2021, 12:39 PM
Lots of smoke out we are adding at least 2 transfers plus looking to add a PG now. We are working hard because we have the group to make a run next year

If, and it's a big IF, you could add Brooks, Jeffries, and find a solid backup PG then you have the makings of a special team.

Coach34
03-31-2021, 12:41 PM
Yep

msstate7
03-31-2021, 12:44 PM
If, and it's a big IF, you could add Brooks, Jeffries, and find a solid backup PG then you have the makings of a special team.

Are brooks and Jeffries possibilities or just wishful thinking?

maroonmania
03-31-2021, 12:52 PM

Yes, and this makes Smith transferring quite puzzling. He should have an expanded role next year on what we all think will be a significantly better team. And if he was to still be here his JR/SR year it would pretty much be his show to run.

StarkVegasSteve
03-31-2021, 12:57 PM

I believe them to both be legit possibilities. There's been smoke around Jeffries transferring for weeks now and the Brooks stuff has really heated up the past 3-4 days. I know the 247 mods seem to be pretty positive that one if not both of them will end up here.

StarkVegasSteve
03-31-2021, 12:59 PM
Yes, and this makes Smith transferring quite puzzling. He should have an expanded role next year on what we all think will be a significantly better team. And if he was to still be here his JR/SR year it would pretty much be his show to run.

I don't think he ever planned on being here more than two years. My guess is he's gone to the draft next year.

msstate7
03-31-2021, 01:00 PM
I believe them to both be legit possibilities. There's been smoke around Jeffries transferring for weeks now and the Brooks stuff has really heated up the past 3-4 days. I know the 247 mods seem to be pretty positive that one if not both of them will end up here.

Man, this would be great.

Can't help but wonder if brooks comes how do he and tolu fit with the plan to go 4 out, 1 in

RiverCityDawg
03-31-2021, 01:14 PM

Supposedly Howland wants to keep DJ at point guard next year, which would make more sense as to why Smith wanted to leave.

maroonmania
03-31-2021, 01:33 PM
Supposedly Howland wants to keep DJ at point guard next year, which would make more sense as to why Smith wanted to leave.

Guess that is understandable. DJ and Molinar are going to start, just a matter of whether they play the 1&2 or the 2&3. If DJ isn't going to the 3 then D. Smith won't be starting.

Bulldog1
03-31-2021, 01:40 PM

Well DJ better improve his ball handling skills a lot this offseason...

Bulldog1
03-31-2021, 01:46 PM

Legit possibilities - either one would be a huge pick up!

StarkVegasSteve
03-31-2021, 01:57 PM
Well DJ better improve his ball handling skills a lot this offseason...

The main problem I have with DJ's dribbling is when he gets into traffic he starts dribbling the ball very low and it almost always ends up stolen because it hits off someone's leg or he just loses the dribble because of the traffic.

thf24
03-31-2021, 02:04 PM

Seems like the plan to run a 4 around 1 may have changed then (which would make sense if the Brooks rumors come to fruition), since DJ is just the kind of 3 you want in that set.

Fred Garvin
03-31-2021, 03:11 PM
Wow. Losing the only true ball handler. That hurts.

I just don't think this is a huge loss. While he was very athletic, for a PG, D Smith's ball handling skills were very mediocre and his shooting wasn't that great either. I'm willing to roll the dice on an upgrade

Turfdawg67
03-31-2021, 04:13 PM
I just don't think this is a huge loss. While he was very athletic, for a PG, D Smith's ball handling skills were very mediocre and his shooting wasn't that great either. I'm willing to roll the dice on an upgrade

Spoken like a true male prostitute.

Fred Garvin
03-31-2021, 04:57 PM
Spoken like a true male prostitute.

Even male prostitutes have standards

Bothrops
03-31-2021, 06:32 PM
Think we can NIT'it again next year?

Madisonmd
03-31-2021, 07:51 PM
Starting lineup next year- DJ at PG (if he stays), Molinar at 2G (if he stays), Jeffries at SF, Brooks at PF and Tolu at C

Bulldog1
03-31-2021, 07:54 PM
Starting lineup next year- DJ at PG (if he stays), Molinar at 2G (if he stays), Jeffries at SF, Brooks at PF and Tolu at C

We are looking at a couple of pg's in the transfer portal- hopefully we pick one of them up. I do not like Stewart running the point...

But that lineup is stacked. Definitely a tourney caliber team...

Reunion Dog
04-01-2021, 02:08 AM
You boys are 17 IDIOTS if you think we can win with stewart at pg. Ain't gonna happen... And make a run in the tournament? Pls. We ain't gonna win 💩 here with Howland and his pathetic offense. Couldn't break a press in December nor end of March. That's coaching.

Fire & retire his butt now... Otherwise, we r gonna see the same old song again next year. Just like we have every year he has been here.... No coaching & no leadership...

CovertDawg
04-01-2021, 07:43 AM
D. Smith leaving is not ideal but should be the easiest position to replace. There are lots of quick ball handlers out there. Smith shot 27.9% from 3 and 61% from FT and nothing about his form made me think that number was going to skyrocket anytime soon. With the way the game is trending, give me a 40% shooter from 3 at PG who makes the routine play rather than the more explosive player who can't shoot. Also, D. Smith could not stay in front of Boogie Ellis on D so not losing much on that side of the ball.

thf24
04-01-2021, 07:59 AM
You boys are 17 IDIOTS if you think we can win with stewart at pg. Ain't gonna happen... And make a run in the tournament? Pls. We ain't gonna win �� here with Howland and his pathetic offense. Couldn't break a press in December nor end of March. That's coaching.

Fire & retire his butt now... Otherwise, we r gonna see the same old song again next year. Just like we have every year he has been here.... No coaching & no leadership...

Not that I'm necessarily a fan of DJ running the point, but you don't seem to realize that's where he was playing towards the end of the season when we played some of our best games.