PDA

View Full Version : John Cohen is a 17 IDIOT!

Reunion Dog
03-28-2021, 10:06 PM
Nm

Charlie_Sheen420
03-28-2021, 10:09 PM
I second that

Rex54
03-28-2021, 10:16 PM
Water is 17 wet

DownwardDawg
03-28-2021, 10:37 PM
What is this particular post in reference of? Something in particular?

parabrave
03-29-2021, 01:00 AM
What is this particular post in reference of? Something in particular?

Shit everything he has been involved with.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2021, 04:44 AM
Just guessing that Texas making the Elite 8 in Vic's first year.

PGHBulldogBG
03-29-2021, 06:28 AM
I am not a Cohen fan, but I don?t blame him for Vic leaving. He was going to leave for Texas whoever the AD was at the time. It is just like Mullen was leaving no matter what, although it was worse with Mullen because he was willing to go anywhere. At least Vic only left so that he could be back home.

Coldsleeve Jr.
03-29-2021, 06:41 AM
I am not a Cohen fan, but I don?t blame him for Vic leaving. He was going to leave for Texas whoever the AD was at the time. It is just like Mullen was leaving no matter what, although it was worse with Mullen because he was willing to go anywhere. At least Vic only left so that he could be back home.

Vic leaving is 100% on Cohen

msstatelp1
03-29-2021, 07:08 AM
Vic leaving is 100% on Cohen

and what exactly did Cohen do that made Vic leave?

Hambone
03-29-2021, 07:16 AM
Vic leaving is 100% on Vic.

If you think Cohen had anything to do with it, I feel bad for you.

Cohen matched everything Texas offered. Vic was not staying.

maroonmania
03-29-2021, 07:33 AM
Vic leaving is 100% on Vic.

If you think Cohen had anything to do with it, I feel bad for you.

Cohen matched everything Texas offered. Vic was not staying.

The real question is what was the relationship between Vic and Cohen, and was Vic happy with his situation and how he was being treated at MSU? Those things I can't answer but I can say that I don't know of any coach much that gets to the point of getting a financial package offer from another school but then stays at his current school because the offer was 'matched'. Usually a coach only gets to the point of listening and accepting an offer from a school if he is ready to move on. Now I don't know if Vic just couldn't turn down a job back in Texas or if he was unhappy with something about his situation at MSU? Likely some combination of both but there does seem to be people who believe there was some personal issue that prompted his leaving but apparently, whatever it is, these folks have had their lives threatened if they share the reason publicly. And I have no idea if somehow Cohen was involved in the matter or not.

BrunswickDawg
03-29-2021, 07:43 AM
The real question is what was the relationship between Vic and Cohen, and was Vic happy with his situation and how he was being treated at MSU? Those things I can't answer but I can say that I don't know of any coach much that gets to the point of getting a financial package offer from another school but then stays at his current school because the offer was 'matched'. Usually a coach only gets to the point of listening and accepting an offer from a school if he is ready to move on. Now I don't know if Vic just couldn't turn down a job back in Texas or if he was unhappy with something about his situation at MSU? Likely some combination of both but there does seem to be people who believe there was some personal issue that prompted his leaving but apparently, whatever it is, these folks have had their lives threatened if they share the reason publicly. And I have no idea if somehow Cohen was involved in the matter or not.

Vic had been working under Cohen for 4 years and was in the middle of building what was supposedly his dream house and the most expensive home in Oktibbeha County. If he had had a real issue with Cohen, Vic had enough clout that he could have easily sidestepped him - you just don't leave that type of investment unless you have a damn big reason.

Hambone
03-29-2021, 08:44 AM
Vic had been working under Cohen for 4 years and was in the middle of building what was supposedly his dream house and the most expensive home in Oktibbeha County. If he had had a real issue with Cohen, Vic had enough clout that he could have easily sidestepped him - you just don't leave that type of investment unless you have a damn big reason.

DING DING DING!

Santiago
03-29-2021, 08:56 AM
The second part of this losing Vic, blaming Cohen, issue is who Cohen chose to replace Vic.
I am just curious with no inside information on WBB, but did Vic give Cohen recommendations for a replacement, or were they close enough professionally to have those type of trusted conversations.

StarkVegasSteve
03-29-2021, 09:13 AM

Everyone can blame Cohen for a lot, but this isn't one of them. Vic leaving isn't on Cohen and maybe one day the whole story will come out on that. Most, including myself, have bits and pieces of everything that transpired.

BrunswickDawg
03-29-2021, 09:21 AM
The second part of this losing Vic, blaming Cohen, issue is who Cohen chose to replace Vic.
I am just curious with no inside information on WBB, but did Vic give Cohen recommendations for a replacement, or were they close enough professionally to have those type of trusted conversations.

Even if he did give a rec - this hire is was going to be a crap shoot. One thing I agree with in this whole situation is that in basketball (women's in particular) coaching matters. The flip side of that is no matter what people say, players come to a school for a coach, especially at programs that are winning at a high level. And when that coach leaves it takes a tremendous amount of work to keep players who came to play for someone else content. Some coaches can't handle that type of transition. That's why you have the old coaching adage that "don't be the guy who replaces a legend, be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced a legend." Outside of a handful of elite coaches I don't know that our results would have been much different this year regardless of who we hired.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2021, 09:21 AM

And UT doesn't offer anything in WBB that Vic didn't already have. I don't think it had anything to do with going back home. It isn't like he is living in the same city as his siblings. From what I read, his sister lives in Houston which is still almost 3 hours from Austin.

He is also a A&M grad which might matter some.

I heard some rumors this weekend that some people wanted Vic to be more "woke" and it rubbed him the wrong way. Not sure if it is true but you don't leave a job when you just finished building your dream house and have the program at a top 5-10 level unless something is wrong.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2021, 09:25 AM
Most times the rumors of why coaches leave are way more exciting & interesting than why the coach left.

bluelightstar
03-29-2021, 10:16 AM
And UT doesn't offer anything in WBB that Vic didn't already have. I don't think it had anything to do with going back home. It isn't like he is living in the same city as his siblings. From what I read, his sister lives in Houston which is still almost 3 hours from Austin.

He is also a A&M grad which might matter some.

I heard some rumors this weekend that some people wanted Vic to be more "woke" and it rubbed him the wrong way. Not sure if it is true but you don't leave a job when you just finished building your dream house and have the program at a top 5-10 level unless something is wrong.

This is not on you, but this is almost certainly made up by people who don't like Cohen's politics. Does it make sense that Cohen is making his coaches be "woke" while also hiring Mike 17'in Leach?

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2021, 10:57 AM
This is not on you, but this is almost certainly made up by people who don't like Cohen's politics. Does it make sense that Cohen is making his coaches be "woke" while also hiring Mike 17'in Leach?

Like I said, just some rumors which could be people just reaching but who knows. If Vic hadn't been one of the highest paid coaches in the country before he went to UT then it would make sense. This was actually the definition of a lateral move for once. There is nothing that UT could offer Vic that he didn't actually have in Starkville unless it really was just being tired of living in MS.

WinningIsRelentless
03-29-2021, 11:03 AM
Like I said, just some rumors which could be people just reaching but who knows. If Vic hadn't been one of the highest paid coaches in the country before he went to UT then it would make sense. This was actually the definition of a lateral move for once. There is nothing that UT could offer Vic that he didn't actually have in Starkville unless it really was just being tired of living in MS.

UT has Austin to offer. That?s 100x better than Starkville.

BrunswickDawg
03-29-2021, 11:24 AM
UT has Austin to offer. That?s 100x better than Starkville.

Doesn't want to be part of John Cohen's "woke culture", yet moved to Austin? Yeah, that adds up.***

Cooterpoot
03-29-2021, 11:42 AM
John Cohen let go of two coaches in female sports for asking for things. Some reasonable, some not. He doesn't give a shit about female athletics. But he better get his precious baseball program better if we're going all in there. We've got 99 problems but woke ain't one.

R2Dawg
03-29-2021, 11:49 AM

First I don't know what is true anymore than anyone on here. Good thought but that may not be true. If Cohen was that way, he tried to woke thing with Moorhead and he was at the point, he had to hire someone who had won. You can afford to be woke in lower tier sports but not football or MSU baseball. Cohen had to produce something in football. Got nothing to do with politics.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2021, 11:58 AM
Doesn't want to be part of John Cohen's "woke culture", yet moved to Austin? Yeah, that adds up.***

I don't think UT is going to ask Vic to be "woke" if he feels differently. They have pushed back against eliminating the Eyes of Texas. Just because Austin is a liberal town doesn't mean that UT is.

All that said, it could be just rumors because not much else has made sense.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2021, 12:00 PM
First I don't know what is true anymore than anyone on here. Good thought but that may not be true. If Cohen was that way, he tried to woke thing with Moorhead and he was at the point, he had to hire someone who had won. You can afford to be woke in lower tier sports but not football or MSU baseball. Cohen had to produce something in football. Got nothing to do with politics.

Also Leach seems to be muzzled as much as possible. He has been very neutral on Twitter which is different than he was prior to coming to Starkville.

thf24
03-29-2021, 12:21 PM
Also Leach seems to be muzzled as much as possible. He has been very neutral on Twitter which is different than he was prior to coming to Starkville.

Any smart individual, which Leach is, would keep a low profile for a few years after the noose misstep. I'd bet that's all there is to that.

PGHBulldogBG
03-29-2021, 12:51 PM
Vic going to Texas is not baffling in the least. He is not a Miss State alum and while he built our program, he was offered a job by the wealthiest school in the country. Yes, dealing with the boosters and fans is more challenging there, I don?t see any reason why people are confused he left. On top of that, Texas is his home state. It was bad for us he left but if I was coaching somewhere and Miss State offered me a job I would go for the same or possibly less money because it?s home.

Cooterpoot
03-29-2021, 12:59 PM
Vic going to Texas is not baffling in the least. He is not a Miss State alum and while he built our program, he was offered a job by the wealthiest school in the country. Yes, dealing with the boosters and fans is more challenging there, I don?t see any reason why people are confused he left. On top of that, Texas is his home state. It was bad for us he left but if I was coaching somewhere and Miss State offered me a job I would go for the same or possibly less money because it?s home.

Except that's not why he left. Just made it easier.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2021, 01:36 PM

I can understand but it still came out of left field. UT is higher pressure and they pay isn't better. I believe Vic was maybe the 3rd highest paid coach in the country at MSU at the time. We also matched the salary.

We were at top 5 program at the time and everyone knows that if Vic wins one of those National Title games then he puts his name on our program they way that few coaches do in college sports.

You don't sink $2 Mil into a house when you are looking to leave if given the chance. Unless UT is buying his house in Starkville then he is probably losing at least $500k if he can even sell it.

Not very much adds up but at this point, we just have to go with it. We now know that we will put 6-10k in the Hump for a winning team. Hopefully the new coach proves almost everyone wrong. Right now it looks like a Moorhead hire which burned the program down and tore up the foundation.

Mobile Bay
03-29-2021, 02:16 PM
Most times the rumors of why coaches leave are way more exciting & interesting than why the coach left.

Take Lane Kiffin for example. Saban's word on it was he was not preparing for the title game and instead focusing on his next job.

I prefer the rumor. That he was stupping Saban's daughter.

Ari Gold
03-29-2021, 03:22 PM
Not that I really care..
But instead of going out and finding a Softball coach he just promotes from within.. an assistant that obviously had zero shot at getting a head job anywhere else
Results

In 9 leagues games , where our record is now 0-9
We have scored

Outstanding..

thf24
03-29-2021, 03:28 PM
It's a little baffling how someone who earned the nickname "Intense Bastard" as a coach went on to hire both a football and a basketball coach who struggled/struggles to maintain motivation and discipline.

RocketDawg
03-29-2021, 04:04 PM

We should't know what Cohen's politics are (nor Leach or the women's coach or any other university official). Cohen is the Athletic Director, not the "Political Director".

BeardoMSU
03-29-2021, 04:06 PM
Not that I really care..
But instead of going out and finding a Softball coach he just promotes from within.. an assistant that obviously had zero shot at getting a head job anywhere else
Results

We have scored

Outstanding..

That's a symptom of MSU. Keenum, wouldn't come close to being considered for President at another SEC school. Same with Cohen as AD. We are very incestuous, and that lack of fresh blood isn't a good thing.

RocketDawg
03-29-2021, 04:07 PM

Yes, I would be willing to bet that conservatism is more popular at MSU and Starkville than it is at UT and Austin. So i don't think he went there so he could be less "woke" (whatever that world actually means).

RocketDawg
03-29-2021, 04:11 PM
Any smart individual, which Leach is, would keep a low profile for a few years after the noose misstep. I'd bet that's all there is to that.

The noose wasn't a misstep on Leach's part, but a misstep on the part of those who interpreted it as racist. The cartoon was a white guy and his wife. Had it been a white guy and a black guy who worked for him it would be a totally different matter.

RocketDawg
03-29-2021, 04:16 PM
That's a symptom of MSU. Keenum, wouldn't come close to being considered for President at another SEC school. Same with Cohen as AD. We are very incestuous, and that lack of fresh blood isn't a good thing.

I'm afraid you're right. I don't know that much about the presidents at MSU, but I'd say the last "good" one we had was Dr. Zacharias.

Bothrops
03-29-2021, 04:23 PM
Yes, I would be willing to bet that conservatism is more popular at MSU and Starkville than it is at UT and Austin. So i don't think he went there so he could be less "woke" (whatever that world actually means).

Austin is on its way to being the next blue wave capitol of the country. Transplants from California are moving there literally by the thousands. Also Texas is changing.

thf24
03-29-2021, 04:28 PM
The noose wasn't a misstep on Leach's part, but a misstep on the part of those who interpreted it as racist. The cartoon was a white guy and his wife. Had it been a white guy and a black guy who worked for him it would be a totally different matter.

I don't disagree, but my point remains that the most likely explanation for his tame Twitter usage is that he's simply trying to avoid anything remotely controversial until the dust from that incident is long settled.

RocketDawg
03-29-2021, 04:28 PM
Austin is on its way to being the next blue wave capitol of the country. Transplants from California are moving there literally by the thousands. Also Texas is changing.

Austin gained about 180,000 people between the 2010 census and the 2019 estimate. That's 22% The place is growing crazy fast. Not only is Austin blue, but Texas is heading that way as well.

Really Clark?
03-29-2021, 04:32 PM
Not that I really care..
Results

We have scored

Outstanding..

I really didn’t have much of an issue of promoting Ricketts if you were going the assistant route and not pull a sitting HC like UM. She was established enough in the softball community that a HC job was coming to her at some point. Being a SEC job as her first was a huge risk though. To be fair, Vann would have been the same. We have problem pulling actual immediate help in recruits that can compete in the SEC. The rankings are a bigger crap shoot in softball than most other sports. So evaluation and development has to be at an extremely high level. The best player in the state over the last few years is just committed to Washington, the one before that went to Bama, etc. When we do have a player that can come in and help from the state, we can’t get them.

maroonmania
03-29-2021, 05:28 PM
I don't think UT is going to ask Vic to be "woke" if he feels differently. They have pushed back against eliminating the Eyes of Texas. Just because Austin is a liberal town doesn't mean that UT is.

All that said, it could be just rumors because not much else has made sense.

UT and Austin are very liberal. Its the UT boosters with the big bucks that are not.

maroonmania
03-29-2021, 05:34 PM
Not that I really care..
Results

We have scored

Outstanding..

In WBB he did NOT make the in house hire in a program that was rolling and is so far getting about the same kind of result. So in the softball program which was mediocre we hire from within, yet with the WBB program that was elite we apparently had to go find new blood. Hmm... neither is working. Think maybe Cohen got it backwards??

Ari Gold
03-29-2021, 05:45 PM
I really didn’t have much of an issue of promoting Ricketts if you were going the assistant route and not pull a sitting HC like UM. She was established enough in the softball community that a HC job was coming to her at some point. Being a SEC job as her first was a huge risk though. To be fair, Vann would have been the same. We have problem pulling actual immediate help in recruits that can compete in the SEC. The rankings are a bigger crap shoot in softball than most other sports. So evaluation and development has to be at an extremely high level. The best player in the state over the last few years is just committed to Washington, the one before that went to Bama, etc. When we do have a player that can come in and help from the state, we can’t get them.

I would love to how many hires men / women doesn’t matter the sport, hired an assistant of the same coach he just fired..
I’m guessing not many ..
and I don’t mean a HC that stepped down, was asked to step down, retired , or left for another program...
Actually fired.

Again it’s just softball , I really don’t care but it shows to me how lazy of an hire it was and his inability to make a good hire.
Softball would have been a perfect time to go outside the box , hire someone from anywhere , a new face , some new blood..
Hell With all the top Softball programs in the SEC my first choice would have been there for an assistant.. somewhere where winning was in the culture..

somebodyshotmypaw
03-29-2021, 08:04 PM

I don?t disagree. On the other hand, Leach had to apologize for a tweet. I?ve yet to see our ladies basketball coach have to apologize for a tweet.

Dawgfan77
03-29-2021, 08:38 PM
He is a micromanager on roids and is trying his best to interject woke political beliefs onto the current staff. I won't get into a lot of it but let's just say he is starting to get some pushback on how he is running the department.

schddog72
03-29-2021, 08:54 PM

Apparantly you did not listen to the recent podcast interview with Vic wherein he stated that Texas is getting to ready to invest about $140 million in a new arena with separate offices, practice facilities, training facilities, etc., etc. for both men's and women's BB teams. Vic said there is nothing out there that's even close to it, nothing comparable anywhere. So, it's about more than salary/benefits. We were always going to be outspent by Texas if they decided to in meant something to them. No way about 99% of the rest of the country could either.

MaroonFlounder
03-29-2021, 09:56 PM
As far as why Vic left, I've heard that one of his players, who was still here this year under the NMP disaster, had an overbearing Mom, who would come down to the 1st row behind the home bench and yell at the coach for not playing her daughter. And that it all started during the 2019/2020 season, while Vic was still here, and he was tired of dealing with it. And instead of kicking the girl off the team, he decided to leave it behind and make it become someone else's problem.

Again. That's what I've heard, but cannot confirm it. One of the 1st 2 girls that entered the transfer portal, it was one of those 2 that had the problem mother. Not sure which it is, but I have an idea.

TimberBeast
03-29-2021, 10:25 PM
John Cohen let go of two coaches in female sports for asking for things. Some reasonable, some not. He doesn't give a shit about female athletics. But he better get his precious baseball program better if we're going all in there. We've got 99 problems but woke ain't one.

Who was the other coach besides Vic?

Cooterpoot
03-29-2021, 10:37 PM
When you compare what OM did with Women basketball and softball hires, Cohen looks like a total loser ass AD. Carter did better with his first football hire too.

HoopsDawg
03-29-2021, 10:40 PM
He is a micromanager on roids and is trying his best to interject woke political beliefs onto the current staff. I won't get into a lot of it but let's just say he is starting to get some pushback on how he is running the department.

I don't know how accurate your post is, but there is nothing worse than a micromanager. I mean, no one wants to work for a boss like that.

BiscuitEater
03-30-2021, 02:31 AM

This is the second time you have posted these accusations without a single piece of evidence. Put up some specifics ..which I don't think you can!

Dawgfan77
03-30-2021, 06:07 AM
This is the second time you have posted these accusations without a single piece of evidence. Put up some specifics ..which I don't think you can!

Go talk to the former W. Golf coach... go talk to some assistants about how he tries to interject things at practice of other sports.
The problem with hiring a mildly successful former coach as an AD is they think they know more than the people they hire
Name one sport we are better at right now since Cohen took over.

BrunswickDawg
03-30-2021, 07:35 AM
Go talk to the former W. Golf coach... go talk to some assistants about how he tries to interject things at practice of other sports.
The problem with hiring a mildly successful former coach as an AD is they think they know more than the people they hire
Name one sport we are better at right now since Cohen took over.

Volleyball and soccer

msstate7
03-30-2021, 07:37 AM
Volleyball and soccer

Name one sport that we give a crap about! Haha

BrunswickDawg
03-30-2021, 07:57 AM
Name one sport that we give a crap about! Haha

I made no remarks about that needing to be a point of pride

msstate7
03-30-2021, 08:04 AM
I made no remarks about that needing to be a point of pride

I was playing.

My obsession with getting rid of Moorhead took a lot out of me... I'm pretty laid back these days and willing to give coaches/AD more rope.

StateDawg44
03-30-2021, 08:11 AM

From who?

MaroonFlounder
03-30-2021, 08:22 AM
Carter did better with his first football hire too.

That remains to be seen. Lane has never stayed at any job for more than 3 years. We'll see if this time is any different.

Dawgfan77
03-30-2021, 08:44 AM
From who?
There is a growing number of influential people that are not happy with the current way JC is invoking some of his ideology in the AD department.

Cooterpoot
03-30-2021, 09:07 AM
That remains to be seen. Lane has never stayed at any job for more than 3 years. We'll see if this time is any different.

He's already better than Moorhead. That's not even a question.

Cooterpoot
03-30-2021, 09:08 AM

One asked for upgrades and things and one asked for money. He let both walk.

HoopsDawg
03-30-2021, 09:12 AM

Seems like a good decision to me. The money needs to be put into the 3 sports that make money.

msstate7
03-30-2021, 09:23 AM
Seems like a good decision to me. The money needs to be put into the 3 sports that make money.

Let's both duck bc I agree.

Cooterpoot
03-30-2021, 09:37 AM

Basketball doesn't make money. Title 9 requirements prevent schools form doing it also. Now, our football is bad, basketball is bad, baseball is disappointing to this point. Give me a final four in any sport. Give me a World Series. I just want to win. Watching us lose or run middle of the pack bores me at times. And that extra $500K you save won't change a damn thing.

BeardoMSU
03-30-2021, 09:44 AM
Basketball doesn't make money. Title 9 requirements prevent schools form doing it also. Now, our football is bad, basketball is bad, baseball is disappointing to this point. Give me a final four in any sport. Give me a World Series. I just want to win. Watching us lose or run middle of the pack bores me at times. And that extra $500K you save won't change a damn thing.

I know Ark just swept us, but BASEBALL?!?! Disappointing? Really, lol?

msstate7
03-30-2021, 09:49 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/xTFk7VLf/C7-E459-D8-CBA5-4-BF4-8988-710-EEF969093.jpg (https://postimg.cc/JGZ4DgTv)

Rex54
03-30-2021, 09:54 AM
There is a growing number of influential people that are not happy with the current way JC is invoking some of his ideology in the AD department.

They should come out with some specifics on what agendas are being pushed. Sunlight is the best disinfectant let the donors and fans know what's going on and where their money is going.

Really Clark?
03-30-2021, 09:55 AM

You think saving .01% (this is the high side of what was supposedly requested by those 2 coaches) of our athletic budget would have had any type of negative impact to our revenue sport’s? Let’s be real now. I don’t have a problem with letting one of them walk/fired because it was time to make a change but penny pinching to that degree is LT like.

BrunswickDawg
03-30-2021, 09:55 AM

We have one of the best golf facilities in the country - so that means the W Golf coach asked for more money? Sounds like we made a good move to hire a coach for whom money won't be an issue, and got a 2 for 1 deal with his LPGA star wife as a volunteer assistant coach.

Cooterpoot
03-30-2021, 09:57 AM

I said "so far". If it hasn't been disappointing to you thus far, then great. I expect more from the one program on campus that should always have high expectations.

Homedawg
03-30-2021, 10:53 AM
We have one of the best golf facilities in the country - so that means the W Golf coach asked for more money? Sounds like we made a good move to hire a coach for whom money won't be an issue, and got a 2 for 1 deal with his LPGA star wife as a volunteer assistant coach.

No. The women's golf coach wasn't let go for any of the above.

Homedawg
03-30-2021, 10:54 AM
Men's hoops makes money. Then in turn it gets gobbled up and then some by what we spend on women's.

BrunswickDawg
03-30-2021, 10:59 AM
No. The women's golf coach wasn't let go for any of the above.

That's what the OP seemed to be insinuating - that one of the 2 coaches who recently left for facilities, the other wanted more money, and she was the most recent coach to leave I could think of.

Quaoarsking
03-30-2021, 11:11 AM
I said "so far". If it hasn't been disappointing to you thus far, then great. I expect more from the one program on campus that should always have high expectations.

What?

In Lemonis's only completed season, we went 20-10 in the SEC, hosted and won a Regional, hosted an won a Super Regional, and made it to Omaha. It was arguably our best season as a program since 1990, unless you put a whole lot of weight in coming in 2nd in Omaha (after 16-14 in the SEC) vs. 5th.

That doesn't mean he'll continue to be great, but so far he's exceeded any reasonable expectations, even the high ones we have here.

FISHDAWG
03-30-2021, 11:13 AM
It's a little baffling how someone who earned the nickname "Intense Bastard" as a coach went on to hire both a football and a basketball coach who struggled/struggles to maintain motivation and discipline.

What's baffling to me is why take a pay cut ... I don't know the numbers but I'm pretty sure he took a very healthy pay cut to move into that position

msstate7
03-30-2021, 11:20 AM
What?

In Lemonis's only completed season, we went 20-10 in the SEC, hosted and won a Regional, hosted an won a Super Regional, and made it to Omaha. It was arguably our best season as a program since 1990, unless you put a whole lot of weight in coming in 2nd in Omaha (after 16-14 in the SEC) vs. 5th.

That doesn't mean he'll continue to be great, but so far he's exceeded any reasonable expectations, even the high ones we have here.

If you ain't first, you last

Cooterpoot
03-30-2021, 11:23 AM
What?

I'm talking this season.

BeardoMSU
03-30-2021, 11:26 AM
I'm talking this season.

That's fine, but you were discussing all the sports programs and their status as a reflection on Cohen...

StarkVegasSteve
03-30-2021, 11:41 AM
I'm talking this season.

Dear lord, we're two freaking weeks into SEC play. The 2013 team was 2-4 after two weekends and had played LSU at home and Kentucky on the road. We played a team that was just better than us last weekend. It happens. Let's move on and sweep UK and take 2 of 3 at Auburn and we're 7-5 after 4 weekends. We're fine.

Brahmabull
03-30-2021, 11:46 AM
We may have a very nice golf practice facility, but it's 30 minutes away. Others in our western division have just as nice right down the road from where the players live. We are not going to be anywhere close to elite in golf unless we get lucky with international players. A top player in MS or surrounding states will choose Bama, Auburn, and LSU before choosing MSU 99% of the time. That is just the reality.

Cooterpoot
03-30-2021, 12:00 PM
Dear lord, we're two freaking weeks into SEC play. The 2013 team was 2-4 after two weekends and had played LSU at home and Kentucky on the road. We played a team that was just better than us last weekend. It happens. Let's move on and sweep UK and take 2 of 3 at Auburn and we're 7-5 after 4 weekends. We're fine.

What part of "so far" or "Now" do some of you not understand. Dear god, reading comprehension is a lost 17ing art on here.

msstate7
03-30-2021, 12:02 PM
What part of "so far" or "Now" do some of you not understand. Dear god, reading comprehension is a lost 17ing art on here.

Well "so far" we still top 10.

Cooterpoot
03-30-2021, 12:12 PM
Well "so far" we still top 10.

It's where you finish that matters. Am I right? I expect our baseball program to win big. I don't expect that from any other program. Right now, I'd say we're the third best team in our division. That's disappointing to me. Could that change? Sure. You guys are all up in your feelings because I think the first part of the season is a little disappointing. We've still got a lot of ball. I'm not saying we can't change that.

BeardoMSU
03-30-2021, 12:32 PM
It's where you finish that matters. Am I right? I expect our baseball program to win big. I don't expect that from any other program. Right now, I'd say we're the third best team in our division. That's disappointing to me. Could that change? Sure. You guys are all up in your feelings because I think the first part of the season is a little disappointing. We've still got a lot of ball. I'm not saying we can't change that.

Ok, got it. You're disappointed "so far"....

https://media1.giphy.com/media/5xtDarwlnNgxVN2oO0U/giphy.gif

But how the **** is that Cohen's fault?

You listed all your issues with the sports programs, and how those issues reflect poorly on Cohen...see the issue, here? If not, it would appear people reading your post have less of a problem with reading comprehension than you do of properly expressing what you really mean.

StarkVegasSteve
03-30-2021, 12:36 PM

No we're not understanding what you think is disappointing. We're a top 10 team who had a bad weekend. It happens. in 16 with what I still think was the best State team in my lifetime, A&M came in here and waxed us 3 straight games. It didn't suddenly mean that we needed to write off the season, fire everyone, and start over. We regrouped and took a series the very next weekend in BR for the first time in a very long time.

Cooterpoot
03-30-2021, 02:20 PM
Ok, got it. You're disappointed "so far"....

https://media1.giphy.com/media/5xtDarwlnNgxVN2oO0U/giphy.gif

But how the **** is that Cohen's fault?

You listed all your issues with the sports programs, and how those issues reflect poorly on Cohen...see the issue, here? If not, it would appear people reading your post have less of a problem with reading comprehension than you do of properly expressing what you really mean.

The programs are down this year IMO and that's a reflection on his hires IMO. That clear it up for you? Seems to me, a lot of folks are just upset because I think the baseball program isn't living up to the potential this year.
I mean we won 3 regular season football games, basketball missed the NCAA, women's basketball was a joke, softball is too, and baseball has had its struggles even with the unicorns.

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2021, 08:20 PM
The programs are down this year IMO and that's a reflection on his hires IMO. That clear it up for you? Seems to me, a lot of folks are just upset because I think the baseball program isn't living up to the potential this year.
I mean we won 3 regular season football games, basketball missed the NCAA, women's basketball was a joke, softball is too, and baseball has had its struggles even with the unicorns.

Not fair to judge Leach either. In a regular year we are 7-5 6-6. He will be the best coach on campus till he gets too old

BeardoMSU
03-30-2021, 08:21 PM
Not fair to judge Leach either. In a regular year we are 7-5 6-6.

Very true.