PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Fire Mullen Crowd

lachepas565
11-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I've been lurking here for a while and I've noticed that it seems like more and more people are really getting entrenched in the "Fire Mullen" camp. While I agree that things aren't perfect and that decision needs to be based on direction of the program as well as wins and losses, but which loss this year do you think he should be fired for?

Losing to #12 OK State on a neutral field?
Losing to #7 Auburn on the road?
Losing to #18 LSU at home? (who has historically given MSU trouble even in down years for LSU for some reason)
Losing to #11 USCe on the road?
Losing to #10 Texas A&M on the road?

I know you need to get a win at some point, but is not being able to pull off an upset really a fireable offense? Especially after taking over a team that had quit on the previous coach and taking them to 3 straight bowls.

I guess my worry is that so many people are going to get firing him in their mind, that they're not going to be able to come back from that if Strickland is thinking the same way that I am. I'm afraid there will be an army of peasants with pitchforks every time something goes wrong next year and it will scare off recruits who don't want to come play for a "dead man walking". Rather than having a rough patch in recruiting for one month after a coaching change, it will turn into a prolonged 18 month death spiral that will affect the whole program.

I get that some think the next savior and, let's face it, the response to Hugh Freeze, is in Lafayette, LA right now, but I guess my question is this - If Hud were somehow here this year, or faced a similar schedule, would you not be understanding of going 0-5 against that line up? Do you think any program outside of the uber-elites can fire a guy because he didn't beat a schedule filled with top 25 teams?

One more thing - before anybody takes this as whining about the schedule. It's not. There is only one of those games that can be attributed to scheduling and crying about it makes you look weak. This is big boy football, you need to get a decent non-conference schedule. I'm just saying that it lined up weird this year that the schedule is loaded; it can't be helped. Just move on to the next year and do not let the progress of the program get derailed by infighting.

Will James
11-11-2013, 10:43 AM
How we lose.