PDA

View Full Version : Thigpen, DuBose, and Gregory

Todd4State
03-23-2021, 10:36 PM
Will be inducted into the MSU Ring of Honor this year.

To me, Thigpen was part of Thunder and Lightning. He had 15 home runs as an OF and then he was also the closer for the 85 team. May be the best true dual position player MSU has ever had.

DuBose held the MSU single season strikeout record for awhile until Ethan Small broke it and still is MSU's career K leader. Guy was an absolute work horse. I'll never forget him starting the 1997 Regional final against Washington and winning it. And knocking down a guy for Delta State that pimped a home run hit off of him.

Paul Gregory took us to Omaha for the first time and won several SEC Titles. He also pitched in MLB too. And taught biology. Could you imagine Lemonis teaching math or something? Or Leach teaching history- actually I could imagine that.

Lots of guys that will get in as time goes on as we have only started the Ring of Honor.

Reunion Dog
03-24-2021, 02:05 AM
Coach Gregory was a basketball coach at State too! He wife taught @ Starkville Academy...

Thigpen's 1st @ bat @ Dudy Noble and last at bat @ Dudy Noble were both Grand Slams... Try to beat THAT record...

somebodyshotmypaw
03-24-2021, 06:51 AM
Dubose was from a small school that played in the MPSAA (now known as MAIS]. He was a workhorse from day one.

basedog
03-24-2021, 07:34 AM
Will be inducted into the MSU Ring of Honor this year.

To me, Thigpen was part of Thunder and Lightning. He had 15 home runs as an OF and then he was also the closer for the 85 team. May be the best true dual position player MSU has ever had.

DuBose held the MSU single season strikeout record for awhile until Ethan Small broke it and still is MSU's career K leader. Guy was an absolute work horse. I'll never forget him starting the 1997 Regional final against Washington and winning it. And knocking down a guy for Delta State that pimped a home run hit off of him.

Paul Gregory took us to Omaha for the first time and won several SEC Titles. He also pitched in MLB too. And taught biology. Could you imagine Lemonis teaching math or something? Or Leach teaching history- actually I could imagine that.

Lots of guys that will get in as time goes on as we have only started the Ring of Honor.

I had a kinesiology class that Coach Paul Gregory taught, he wore a coat and tie everyday and he made the class very interesting. He has been somewhat a forgotten great Coach, his early 70 teams were loaded and I dare say could be as good as any Msu teams we have ever had. What a gentleman and such a well like human. Btw, I saw LF lounge being "invented", started on a hill with a 55 gallon drum to throw your beer cans way which you had to drive to the crossroads or Columbus to stock up.

redstickdawg
03-24-2021, 08:28 AM
We used to say that Thigpen was the Rain after Thunder and Lightning as he was 5ht in the order behind Palmeiro and Clark. They along with Jeff Brantley were 1986 MLB All-Stars if memory is correct. Truly a shame that team didn't win it all.

shrimp
03-24-2021, 09:05 AM
I’m pretty sure DuBose played high school ball in Alabama.

Dubose was from a small school that played in the MPSAA (now known as MAIS]. He was a workhorse from day one.

tcdog70
03-24-2021, 09:16 AM

Sumter Academy--I think but played Mississippi teams..

tcdog70
03-24-2021, 09:17 AM
I had a kinesiology class that Coach Paul Gregory taught, he wore a coat and tie everyday and he made the class very interesting. He has been somewhat a forgotten great Coach, his early 70 teams were loaded and I dare say could be as good as any Msu teams we have ever had. What a gentleman and such a well like human. Btw, I saw LF lounge being "invented", started on a hill with a 55 gallon drum to throw your beer cans way which you had to drive to the crossroads or Columbus to stock up.

I think Gregory had maybe the best pitching rotation ever--Mike -Duck-Profitt, Brantley Jones--Dennis Hall with Whoopstick Henderson.

dstatechamps
03-24-2021, 09:40 AM

We were playing in a rec softball league when I was at State. We were going to be short one night, but a guy that played with us said he knew somebody we could get. He makes a call and Eric DuBose comes driving up. And he pitched. Nice dude, but every time a ball got hit up the middle, I cringed.

Cooterpoot
03-24-2021, 09:52 AM
Dubose also is involved in the travel ball world fairly prominently now. His curveball was filthy!

basedog
03-24-2021, 10:42 AM
I think Gregory had maybe the best pitching rotation ever--Mike -Duck-Profitt, Brantley Jones--Dennis Hall with Whoopstick Henderson.

I agree!

smootness
03-24-2021, 01:19 PM
We used to say that Thigpen was the Rain after Thunder and Lightning as he was 5ht in the order behind Palmeiro and Clark. They along with Jeff Brantley were 1986 MLB All-Stars if memory is correct. Truly a shame that team didn't win it all.

They definitely weren't All-Stars quite yet in 86 and actually never were in the same year together, but they had all been All-Stars by 1990.

basedog
03-24-2021, 03:30 PM
Btw what a great class of those 3!

somebodyshotmypaw
03-24-2021, 07:36 PM

He did play in Alabama. But they played in the Mississippi Academy league. Which is what I stated. The MAIS also has some Louisiana schools and might have an Arkansas team or two.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-25-2021, 12:12 AM
DuBose went to Patrician Academy