PDA

View Full Version : Men's Basketball Recruiting

jdelta02
03-23-2021, 09:46 AM
See where Miss. State has offered 2021 point guard Jayden Nunn. He recently decomitted from Iowa State following a coaching change. He's listed as a 6-4, 190 point guard, and is from Flint Michigan. Transferred to play his final season of high school basketball at Dream City Christian in Arizona. Arizona State recently offered as well.

Big4Dawg
03-23-2021, 11:02 AM
He's being recruited as a combo-guard. There was some worry this offer indicated a Smith transfer but hopefully that isn't the case.

msstate7
03-23-2021, 11:06 AM
He's being recruited as a combo-guard. There was some worry this offer indicated a Smith transfer but hopefully that isn't the case.

D. Smith leaving would be a gut shot

Santiago
03-23-2021, 12:13 PM
D. Smith leaving would be a gut shot

Would that have something to do with talk of DJ playing point next year?

msstate7
03-23-2021, 12:20 PM
Would that have something to do with talk of DJ playing point next year?

Stewart at the point seems like a bad idea (I.e. Malik Newman)

msstate7
03-23-2021, 12:21 PM
Delta, I wanna hear more about dJ Jeffries. Is there anything to that rumor?

jdelta02
03-23-2021, 12:39 PM
Has mostly been playing point guard in high school, though definitely has very good combo guard type size, skill, and ablity, Jayden....easily 1, 2, and 3 spots. Especially the 1 and 2..

This past season at Dream City Christian. (according to article, they play a national schedule against top high schools).
18.7 points
4.9 rebounds
2.8 assists
2.2 steals
62.5% field goal
43.8% 3 point
82.8% free throw

Top offers appear Miss. State and Arizona State. Both have come since he decomitted from Iowa State.

basedog
03-23-2021, 12:54 PM
Talk about trouble, how bout North Carolina! Players leaving and since 2017 when Tar Heels won National Championship are 32-30 since. Roy Williams is on the hot seat.

Todd4State
03-23-2021, 03:01 PM
Talk about trouble, how bout North Carolina! Players leaving and since 2017 when Tar Heels won National Championship are 32-30 since. Roy Williams is on the hot seat.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to LSU in football in a few years with Coach O.

basedog
03-23-2021, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to LSU in football in a few years with Coach O.

My Corn Dogs would choke on their crawfish boils if this happens*

Looks like Mike White/Florida is now on hot seat. Gators gonna gator, I think he is a good Coach. Would hate to see him emerge at TSUN one day.

Ari Gold
03-23-2021, 05:17 PM
Let’s not overreact with any D Smith transfer rumors .

Right now outside of Smith, Dj, and Iverson the only other true guards are Montgomery and Garcia.
I expect one of those 2 to transfer. I hope we keep Garcia
So a combo guard needed. Transfer or Freshman

Also more than likely after next year DJ is gone and Iverson May also test the NBA. We need a combo guard

Santiago
03-23-2021, 05:41 PM

I would bet if NC makes another hire, they open a checkbook to Mark Few at Gonzaga, if he would even leave.
Seems to be their MO, to get a well established coach.

Coach34
03-23-2021, 06:22 PM
I would bet if NC makes another hire, they open a checkbook to Mark Few at Gonzaga, if he would even leave.
Seems to be their MO, to get a well established coach.

Few has been at Gonzaga 32 years and loved the West coast. He aint leaving

Ari Gold
03-23-2021, 06:23 PM
Few has been at Gonzaga 32 years and loved the West coast. He aint leaving

Correct.
There isnt a better job in the country than Zags basketball

jdelta02
03-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Delta, I wanna hear more about dJ Jeffries. Is there anything to that rumor?

Currently he's playing for Memphis in the NIT Tourney. Had 10 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists in their last game against Dayton (NIT). They play again Thursday, opportunity to advance to the NIT Final 4. Miss. State looking to advance to the semifinals with a win Thursday as well. Players and coaches normally evaluate or evaluate more thoroughly (having already been considering options) after the completion of the season. He does have player connections to Miss. State with former Olive Branch teammates Cameron Matthews and Myah Taylor's brother Wes Tayor. Also, knows the Miss. State coaches. Same Mississippi recruiting class (2017-18. Clarion Ledger Dandy Dozen. and USA Today 1st Team) with DJ Stewart and Robert Woodard. I've always seen DJ Stewart as the sleeper of the group. My opinion, Miss. State already has some good up and coming young talent in players like Derrick Fountain and Cameron Matthews..but wouldn't much hesitate to add a player like Jeffries or some other high level talents..given the opportunity.

Coaching decisions, player decisions, transfers, recruiting of transfers, high school recruits, ect.... will start to much more pickup, shape up, ultimately clear up after the NIT and NCAA Tourneys.

(Also note) Coach Howland indicated in a recent interview that he thinks that the team will be going to a 4 out 1 in look for next season, with Tolu Smith being the main guy inside. He indicated that he thinks that they will be adding some good pieces to the roster as well.

Reunion Dog
03-24-2021, 02:16 AM
You think we can actually recruit someone who doesn't get an assist from throwing it in from out of bounds?

Give me a 17 break. And go recruit someone that can actually break a damn full court press...

ZedFedder
03-24-2021, 01:10 PM
You think we can actually recruit someone who doesn't get an assist from throwing it in from out of bounds?

Give me a 17 break. And go recruit someone that can actually break a damn full court press...

Or hire a coach who can...

jdelta02
03-25-2021, 10:35 AM
6-8 forward, Jaemyn Brakefield (Jackson, MS) is in the transfer portal out of Duke. He began his high school basketball career at Madison Ridgeland, later transferred to Huntington Prep (WV)...signed with Duke where he recently finished up his freshman season.

Big4Dawg
03-25-2021, 11:45 AM
He's headed to Ole Miss apparently.

msstate7
03-25-2021, 12:09 PM
He's headed to Ole Miss apparently.

Seems to be a great pull based on recruiting. He didn't do much this year as a freshman, but he did play 13 mins/game (3.5 ppg 2.5 rpg). I would certainly have taken him... well, unless the Jeffries rumor is true. I'd take Jeffries over him in a heart beat