PDA

View Full Version : Hitting in College baseball

Cowbell
03-22-2021, 01:50 PM
Due to the stacked pitching staffs that are the norm in college baseball this year and with teams able to do more matchup pitching, are we gonna see lower batting averages across the league this year? I ask this because I know we have not seen very many below average pitchers yet. Even the smaller schools still have guys throwing 95 on Sunday / I'm hearing the same thing out of juco ball here in TX. We keep asking what's wrong with some of our hitters at times - but could it be just an increased level of pitching across the board?

Rex54
03-22-2021, 01:54 PM
A good amount of summer/fall baseball opportunities were limited as well for these guys to get reps. I'd guess that would hurt hitting more.

In reality the mound needs to be moved back a foot to compensate for the velocity boom. Shift the value a little bit back towards command/location rather than just how hard you throw it or spin rates.

Homedawg
03-22-2021, 03:17 PM
We could always swap with the team thats leading the league in hitting ( ahead of us by .46 points) rbi's and second in HR's.......Auburn, but considering they are 0-3, I'll pass.

The Federalist Engineer
03-22-2021, 03:24 PM
We could always swap with the team thats leading the league in hitting ( ahead of us by .46 points) rbi's and second in HR's.......Auburn, but considering they are 0-3, I'll pass.

Auburn is still riding the stats of scoring 33 runs on Alabama A&M

Homedawg
03-22-2021, 03:37 PM
Auburn is still riding the stats of scoring 33 runs on Alabama A&M

I get that. But both of our schedules are going to get tougher, not just theirs. And we had our chance against 2 swac teams already to put up 33 and pad our stats too, and didn't. Point is, we are going to live and die with pitching, and hope we can get some of our guys to warm up and scratch out enough runs to win our share.

Cowbell
03-22-2021, 03:59 PM

Good point but it really doesn't answer the question / do you think pitching across the board is better?

Homedawg
03-22-2021, 04:07 PM
Good point but it really doesn't answer the question / do you think pitching across the board is better?

I don't think there is any question it is. The shortened draft had a big impact on all levels.....

Todd4State
03-22-2021, 06:09 PM
We're built like a stereotypical LSU offense in some ways. Lots of guys that are good but not elite hitters. Elite hitter being defined as a Mangum/Rooker/Will Clark. Our best power
Guys are Tanner and James and they're underclassmen. They could be elite when they are upperclassmen.

If we had this pitching with our 2016 offense it would be sick.

confucius say
03-22-2021, 06:34 PM
I still say we will swing it better as the weather warms up.
We were also on the road, and I think we were the only road sec team to win a series against a ranked team this week.

Saltydog
03-22-2021, 07:50 PM
Everybody says that (we'll hit better when it warms up)......So far, there's nothing I've seen to give any indication of that whatsoever.....It's not like some of our hitters are snake bitten and just can't find a hole.......We're not even getting good contact........

Cowbell
03-22-2021, 08:15 PM
Everybody says that (we'll hit better when it warms up)......So far, there's nothing I've seen to give any indication of that whatsoever.....It's not like some of our hitters are snake bitten and just can't find a hole.......We're not even getting good contact........

Well then you haven't watched much MSU baseball. We always hit better as it warms up.

Saltydog
03-22-2021, 08:18 PM
Well then you haven't watched much MSU baseball. We always hit better as it warms up.

Nah, haven?t watched much at all. I mean I?ve only been going to games since 1977.

Homedawg
03-22-2021, 08:38 PM

Well I do t think rowdey is going to hit in the 230's and don't see anyone else that's going to severely backslide.... other than Cumbest avg will drop in whatever playing time he gets. Hatch, Hancock and debrule can all increase as well.

Cowbell
03-22-2021, 08:41 PM
Nah, haven?t watched much at all. I mean I?ve only been going to games since 1977.

That would explain your pessimism or shall I say "saltiness"

Todd4State
03-23-2021, 06:22 PM

Rowdey and Hatcher immediately come to mind as two players who have historically gotten better as the season goes along.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-23-2021, 07:02 PM
I think the COVID eligibility waiver and the shortened MLB draft have added depth. Depth doesn’t help your hitting as much (unless you have injuries). Depth helps your pitching a ton. Hitters would feast on a Sunday starter, a midweek starter, the fourth guy out of the pen. Now those guys are still quality.