PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

Bulldog1
03-21-2021, 06:00 PM
Always good when you can take a series on the road in the SEC.

I like MacLeod and Smith on Friday, and Bednar/Johnson/Sims on Saturday.

Fristoe needs to be the Sunday starter.

One takeaway, Landon Sims is too good to only pitch 2 innings in a series.

Hopefully the bats will come around, big series vs. Arkansas this coming weekend.

Bdawg
03-21-2021, 06:21 PM
If we had the lead from about the fourth inning or so today, I would think Lemonis would have given him 2 or 3 innings if we really needed him.

BuckyIsAB****
03-21-2021, 06:22 PM
Johnson makes me nervous. How much has he even pitched this year

Bdawg
03-21-2021, 06:24 PM
Johnson makes me nervous. How much has he even pitched this year

Koestler didn't show me much today either. Seemed kinda erratic to me from the first pitch on.

Todd4State
03-21-2021, 06:37 PM
We should have started Fristoe over Cerentola. I have no idea why we didn't. Fristoe has consistently outperformed Cerentola.

I think we win if we start Fristoe.

WSOPdawg
03-21-2021, 06:53 PM
Now that we're rolling into SEC action, Lemonis needs to realize that, just like in basketball you can't play 11 McDonalds All-Americans (you've got to settle on a 8- or 9-man rotation).

He needs to define the rolls of the pitching staff starting with MacLeod, Bednar & Fristoe on Fri/Sat/Sun at SPer. Brandon Smith needs to be primary setup with Landon Sims the closer. Supplement the middle innings with Preston Johnson, Stennett, etc.

Had we not given up 2 ERs in the 1st inning by starting Cerantola, this game would've unfolded completely different imo.

But hey, we should still be #2 in most polls come tomorrow given Arky losing 3 straight this week.

confucius say
03-21-2021, 08:01 PM
Macleod and smith
Bednar and sims (even though they are similar)
Fristoe and Johnson and stinnet

Piece the rest together. I'd be fine switching the sat and sun relievers

maroonmania
03-21-2021, 08:06 PM
We should have started Fristoe over Cerentola. I have no idea why we didn't. Fristoe has consistently outperformed Cerentola.

Fristoe had absolutely earned the right to start today. Cerentola is just a liability on our staff right now because he gives away runs and, in the SEC, we don't have enough offense to make up for it. Look, if you look shaky starting against Tulane and Kent State in Starkville, that should tell you all you need to know about what a guy is likely to do starting in Baton Rouge against LSU. And he is so easily shaken that even if he looks good for an inning or two he may totally lose it the next and give away 2 or 3 runs. Today he gave away 2 runs in an inning without LSU getting a hit OR our defense committing an error. That is pretty hard to do.

AlSwearengen
03-21-2021, 09:17 PM
As someone mentioned the other day, I think Harding should be moved to SEC relief. He would probably fit good between a couple of the harder throwers. Bednar-Harding-Sims for example. That is one more reliable strike thrower that can get outs against good teams.

Saltydog
03-21-2021, 09:19 PM
Always good when you can take a series on the road in the SEC.

I like MacLeod and Smith on Friday, and Bednar/Johnson/Sims on Saturday.

Fristoe needs to be the Sunday starter.

One takeaway, Landon Sims is too good to only pitch 2 innings in a series.

Hopefully the bats will come around, big series vs. Arkansas this coming weekend.

Honestly, I?d rather have Harding on Sunday. He doesn?t have the power arm of Fristoe but he?s more experienced, knows how to pitch and has pitched in bigger games. I?d move Fristoe to mid week.

Homedawg
03-21-2021, 09:42 PM
Honestly, I?d rather have Harding on Sunday. He doesn?t have the power arm of Fristoe but he?s more experienced, knows how to pitch and has pitched in bigger games. I?d move Fristoe to mid week.

I'll go opposite. Fristoe is electric w decent command that will only get better. Will he have a hiccup? Sure. But so will Harding. And that's not a knock on Houston I like him.

HoopsDawg
03-21-2021, 09:45 PM

Just no way do you move Fristoe to mid-week. We don't even have that many tough mid week games left. You have to do whats best to win 3 games in an SEC weekend, a regional, and Super. You have to stack your best arms on the weekends.

Homedawg
03-21-2021, 09:49 PM
And now that the meat of our mid week games are over I think you'll see Harding on the roster for sec weekends. For the most part.

The Federalist Engineer
03-21-2021, 09:54 PM

Disagreement welcome - it seems to me that the starter sets the tone. Its hard to completely change the game with relief.

If B Smith and Sims are out of circulation by Sunday, its even less likely to put the offense back under control. I think Harding is the best Sunday we have. Using him on Samford is nuts to me, if that means EC against ranked SEC teams

Ari Gold
03-21-2021, 09:58 PM
Don’t forget about Cade Smith ...
I hope he gets innings Tuesday

Give him a few midweek games and innings and could factor into the weekend bullpen sooner than later.

3 runs on Sunday isn’t going to get it done.. As good as our pitching is top to bottom we better swing the bats better.

HoopsDawg
03-21-2021, 10:08 PM
And now that the meat of our mid week games are over I think you'll see Harding on the roster for sec weekends. For the most part.

Was Harding not in Baton Rouge?

Bulldog1
03-21-2021, 10:10 PM
I feel like our hitting is about to come around... We are putting the ball in play, not a ton of strikeouts.
Got to think Allen and Rowdey are about to heat up.

HoopsDawg
03-21-2021, 10:19 PM
I feel like our hitting is about to come around... We are putting the ball in play, not a ton of strikeouts.

Allen is hitting .303. 2nd on the team.

our 1 and 2 hole hitters are both below .245. That's a problem.

The Federalist Engineer
03-21-2021, 10:41 PM
Don’t forget about Cade Smith ...

Give him a few midweek games and innings and could factor into the weekend bullpen sooner than later.

3 runs on Sunday isn’t going to get it done.. As good as our pitching is top to bottom we better swing the bats better.

We have too many guys underperforming expectations or batting expectations for their batting-order-position. Dubrule is a pesky and interesting #9 but seems not a #1.

Rowdey and Hatcher are supposed to be All SEC level bats. They are the key guys to improve.

Hancock and Tanner are supposed to be 300 and Above. Both are doing well, just wish for more.

Leggett might push into platoon with Dubrule, totally unexpected

Skinner had a dream start, but faded in game 2 and 3

HoopsDawg
03-21-2021, 10:44 PM
We have too many guys underperforming expectations or batting expectations for their batting-order-position. Dubrule is a pesky and interesting #9 but seems not a #1.

Rowdey and Hatcher are supposed to be All SEC level bats. They are the key guys to improve.

Hancock and Tanner are supposed to be 300 and Above. Both are doing well, just wish for more.

Leggett might push into platoon with Dubrule, totally unexpected

Skinner had a dream start, but faded in game 2 and 3

Hatcher had 2 great AB's Friday night. I thought he was about to get going. Then had a rough Sat and Sunday. 0-7.

jacksondawg
03-22-2021, 12:58 AM
Was Harding not in Baton Rouge?

No, he was not

basedog
03-22-2021, 07:39 AM
Don?t forget about Cade Smith ...

3 runs on Sunday isn?t going to get it done.. As good as our pitching is top to bottom we better swing the bats better.

He is throwing without pain. Help is on the way but I'm prejudice, LOL. I will say this, dude will compete, now how he performs when he does come back will be interesting. I do know there is no rush as the Coaches know his potential and it's his future. He was rated top newcomer pitcher before the injury, just say and we shall see. I don't need to say much as ED can be vicious on players, but I ain't scarednor do I think Cade will be. His asset is quick worker and strike throw especially breaking ball.

Offshore Dawg
03-22-2021, 07:57 AM
Now that we're rolling into SEC action, Lemonis needs to realize that, just like in basketball you can't play 11 McDonalds All-Americans (you've got to settle on a 8- or 9-man rotation).

He needs to define the rolls of the pitching staff starting with MacLeod, Bednar & Fristoe on Fri/Sat/Sun at SPer. Brandon Smith needs to be primary setup with Landon Sims the closer. Supplement the middle innings with Preston Johnson, Stennett, etc.

Had we not given up 2 ERs in the 1st inning by starting Cerantola, this game would've unfolded completely different imo.

But hey, we should still be #2 in most polls come tomorrow given Arky losing 3 straight this week.

Arky did not loose 3 ?

State82
03-22-2021, 08:15 AM
Arky did not loose 3 ?

He meant they lost three in a row during the past week. Last Sunday, Tuesday and Friday. Then won Saturday and yesterday.

preachermatt83
03-22-2021, 08:18 AM
Here is the facts. We can beat most of our midweek opponents with KC Hunt pitching. I?d be all hands on deck all weekend every weekend and just pitch whoever is left midweek.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2021, 08:28 AM
No, he was not that's crazy.

confucius say
03-22-2021, 08:48 AM
I'll go opposite. Fristoe is electric w decent command that will only get better. Will he have a hiccup? Sure. But so will Harding. And that's not a knock on Houston I like him.

I think so too. But I will say lefty Harding followed by all the righties in our pen intrigues me. Kinda like Macleod and smith on Friday. The absence of lefty pen arms makes me want Harding as an option, and prob as a starter.

confucius say
03-22-2021, 08:56 AM

Is there anywhere to find our team BABIP stat? Or whatever the acronym is for batting average on balls in play. I feel like ours is skewed lower than normal.

TNDawg35
03-22-2021, 09:13 AM
I would try Skinner at lead off. He had some great at bats over the wknd. Hell anything on the ground he has a chance to beat out... I would try this...

Skinner
Hancock
Allen
James
Tanner
Rowdey
Hatcher
Debrule
Forsythe

HoopsDawg
03-22-2021, 09:18 AM
I would try Skinner at lead off. He had some great at bats over the wknd. Hell anything on the ground he has a chance to beat out... I would try this...

Skinner
Hancock
Allen
James
Tanner
Rowdey
Hatcher
Debrule
Forsythe

That's not bad.

StarkVegasSteve
03-22-2021, 09:29 AM
I really think what we'll see from here on out, or I guess what I would like to see would be:

Fri.- CMac-Smith-Stinnett if needed
Sat.-Bednar-Johnson-Sims
Sun.-Fristoe-Harding-Figure it out to get the win

Midweek- All hands on deck.

msstate7
03-22-2021, 09:30 AM
Is there anywhere to find our team BABIP stat? Or whatever the acronym is for batting average on balls in play. I feel like ours is skewed lower than normal.

http://thebaseballcube.com/college/schools/profile.asp?T=20147

This is where I usually get that, but they aren't keeping up this season, unfortunately. Maybe it will be updated soon

maroonmania
03-22-2021, 01:31 PM

Skinner
Hancock
Allen
James
Tanner
Rowdey
Hatcher
Debrule
Forsythe

I would want a little more sample size before throwing Skinner into the leadoff spot. I don't know what is going on with Debrule. I realize it was in Jacksonville but he was one of the top hitters in college and had an average over .400 in the shortened season last year and I think has more hits than any other active player in college. I could understand if he dropped to around .300 with some better competition that he is seeing but he is all the way down to .243. Lost about 60 points off his average since moving to leadoff. And we have only played 3 games against the SEC. Usually guys that can hit tend to hit, so not sure what's going on with him. Rowdey is at .231 as a veteran player, that is a problem as well and doesn't lend to putting him back at leadoff unless he heats up. We just have too many guys that SHOULD be hitting that aren't hitting right now and its a big problem. Its almost like everyone is currently in a slump or at least we hope. If all of our hitters have just regressed then that is a major issue and I would start wondering what in the world JG has been doing with them. We don't have one everyday player hitting above .310 right now which is horrible given we don't hit many HRs and are just now getting into SEC play.