PDA

View Full Version : Porter Moser- Loyola Chicago Coach

Bulldog1
03-21-2021, 01:32 PM
That dude can coach. Needs to be on our short list to replace Howland...

ZedFedder
03-21-2021, 01:35 PM
Yes he can. Love their offense. It actually is active unlike ours.

Saltydog
03-21-2021, 01:53 PM
A team of zombies could guard us......It's pathetic to watch......

ZedFedder
03-21-2021, 01:58 PM
A team of zombies could guard us......It's pathetic to watch......

Correct. We have tournament talent. I fully believe that.

Commercecomet24
03-21-2021, 02:21 PM

This. Heck we can't even inbound the ball without a struggle.

PGHBulldogBG
03-21-2021, 02:43 PM
If Cohen could actually pull that hire off I would look at him a completely different way. That wouldn?t be a home run, it would be a grand slam. Unfortunately I don?t think he would come here and he wouldn?t be on Cohens radar. He would hire someone like Bruce Weber

Rex54
03-21-2021, 02:51 PM
That dude can coach. Needs to be on our short list to replace Howland...

Wouldn't be surprised to see him at Indiana next year if they can't lure Brad Stevens home.

Ari Gold
03-21-2021, 03:30 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see him at Indiana next year if they can't lure Brad Stevens home.

Indiana in talks behind the scenes with Gregg Marshall

msstate7
03-21-2021, 03:37 PM

Thought we wanted fast pace. They are #345 out of 347 in possessions per game. They win with their defense... kenpom has them #1 in the country in adjusted defense.

Ari Gold
03-21-2021, 03:37 PM
No doubt he is a very good coach..

Defensive minded team that averages 71 points a game

Compared to Miss State
A defensive minded team that averages 69 a game

Tripp McNeely
03-21-2021, 04:02 PM

I think the public backlash might be a little too much for Indiana to hire him

msstate7
03-21-2021, 04:05 PM
I think the public backlash might be a little too much for Indiana to hire him

If we made the move, I would go pitino or Marshall, and tell the media to kiss our butts

AROB44
03-21-2021, 05:18 PM
No doubt he is a very good coach..

Defensive minded team that averages 71 points a game

Compared to Miss State
A defensive minded team that averages 69 a game

You just ruined it by giving facts that don't fit the popular narrative on here. Props to you, sir!

Bulldog1
03-21-2021, 05:18 PM
It was fun watching them play today- the way they move the ball around on offense. And they can actually inbound the ball against a full court defense.

2 sweet 16s at Loyola- I wonder what Moser could do with SEC resources???

Dawgfan77
03-21-2021, 05:32 PM

Hearing that but also hearing administration and some others aren't gonna let that happen. Stevens is 1

Joebob
03-21-2021, 05:37 PM
Thought we wanted fast pace. They are #345 out of 347 in possessions per game. They win with their defense... kenpom has them #1 in the country in adjusted defense.

They also work for a good shot, however much time it takes.

Bulldog1
03-21-2021, 08:04 PM

For reference, their adjusted offense is 35 vs. 103 for us.

trob115
03-21-2021, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to Abilene Christians coach. Their style is really fun to watch and Golding has built that program up from D2.

Pat Kelsey at Winthrop is another name that will be interesting to watch.

msstate7
03-21-2021, 08:21 PM
For reference, their adjusted offense is 35 vs. 103 for us.

They're better than us. I never suggested anything differently.

I just pointed out that they play a very slow, defensive oriented game. This is what our fans say they hate. I like any style that gives us a shot to win.

Bulldog1
03-21-2021, 08:32 PM
They're better than us. I never suggested anything differently.

I just pointed out that they play a very slow, defensive oriented game. This is what our fans say they hate. I like any style that gives us a shot to win.

I mainly want a team that can shoot. They are 47th in 3pt% vs. #169 for us. I'd prefer a fast paced style, but one thing about it- they make the most of their possessions.

skadoosh14
03-21-2021, 08:40 PM
I mean, sure, that'd be great. But there's no way we'd get him.

msstate7
03-21-2021, 08:47 PM
I mean, sure, that'd be great. But there's no way we'd get him.

For some reason, our fans think we can pull these hot names. What up-and-comer or established guy wants to come to our empty stadium for bottom of the barrel sec money in aging facilities with no fertile recruiting grounds? This is not a very good job, and we have crazy expectations if howland has performed at a level that deserves firing.

Bulldog1
03-21-2021, 08:55 PM
Anyone that suggests we fire Howland has lost their mind- no one would touch this job with a 10 ft. pole if we fired a man with Howland's resume. He has gotten us back to Stansbury level. That's really all we can ask from him. Our job looks a whole lot better now than it did 6 years ago. He's done good here, but it is time for him to retire.

HailStateSZN19
03-21-2021, 10:45 PM
Hearing that but also hearing administration and some others aren't gonna let that happen. Stevens is 1

Weren?t you also ?hearing? that something was being set up to move on from Howland weeks ago? Lol

HoopsDawg
03-21-2021, 10:51 PM
Howland will be our coach until he retires.

HoopsDawg
03-21-2021, 10:53 PM

LOL. They aren't getting Stevens. LOL.

HailStateSZN19
03-21-2021, 11:23 PM
Craig Smith, Utah State
Richie Riley, South Alabama
Bob Richey, Furman
Wes Miller, UNCG
Mark Pope, BYU

Dawgfan77
03-22-2021, 06:15 AM
Weren?t you also ?hearing? that something was being set up to move on from Howland weeks ago? Lol

Hahahaha. Yeah you got me. I don't know anything....By all means please let us know what your contacts are saying? That's right you have none...

HailStateSZN19
03-22-2021, 07:51 AM
Hahahaha. Yeah you got me. I don't know anything....By all means please let us know what your contacts are saying? That's right you have none...

Better to have none and know it than to continue posting stuff like you have some ?sources? and continually show you actually don?t..... I could continually post ?I?m hearing? crap all the time too. But I don?t. Because I don?t act like I have ?sources?...

Dawgfan77
03-22-2021, 08:19 AM
Better to have none and know it than to continue posting stuff like you have some ?sources? and continually show you actually don?t..... I could continually post ?I?m hearing? crap all the time too. But I don?t. Because I don?t act like I have ?sources?...

For sure!!!

StarkVegasSteve
03-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Craig Smith, Utah State
Richie Riley, South Alabama
Bob Richey, Furman
Wes Miller, UNCG
Mark Pope, BYU

This is the most realistic list that I've seen since all these threads have been started. I'd also probably add Kyle Keller at Stephen F Austin. He's really built upon what Underwood got going there and has had them rolling. They're 44-8 in the last two years.

msstate7
03-22-2021, 09:15 AM
Howland will be our coach until he retires.

I have a feeling we make tourney next year, and howland heads back west after the season to lay out on the beach or whatever he does

StarkVegasSteve
03-22-2021, 09:18 AM
I have a feeling we make tourney next year, and howland heads back west after the season to lay out on the beach or whatever he does

This is the best possible outcome for us. Make the tournament and win a game or two and Howland retires and we're able to hire in a lot better position than 2012....or 2016 for that matter. We just got lucky and Howland fell into our lap.

Joebob
03-22-2021, 12:13 PM
The attitude that we can't do better because our program is a crappy job is exactly why we don't do better and it remains a crappy job. I don't know what else to say.

msstate7
03-22-2021, 12:25 PM
The attitude that we can't do better because our program is a crappy job is exactly why we don't do better and it remains a crappy job. I don't know what else to say.

Our program is a hard job... it just is. Howland has done a solid, not great job. To fire him this year would be utterly ridiculous. Reality is reality.

HoopsDawg
03-22-2021, 12:37 PM
Our program is a hard job... it just is. Howland has done a solid, not great job. To fire him this year would be utterly ridiculous. Reality is reality.

and not every up and coming coach wants to live in Starkville.

PGHBulldogBG
03-22-2021, 12:47 PM
The best case scenario would be for Howland to keep this group together in the off season and take us to be about a 6 seed. Win a game or two in the tournment and retire. Then hire Kyle Keller, Wes Miller, Darian DeVries type. I think one of those three would be realistic and could build on what Howland has done

BrunswickDawg
03-22-2021, 12:59 PM

and not every up and coming coach wants to live in Starkville.

The big reason is MS just doesn't produce basketball talent consistently enough. If there was only 1 MS school, it might be easier, but with 3 there just isn't the talent to go around. And getting that talent to MS from out of state ain't easy. Why do you think Stans had such a dirty rep and everyone jokes about "juicy jumbos" Why did Donnie Tyndall have to cheat like he did at USM to win in CUSA? Because without going "all in" we ain't gonna get there. We aren't unique in this situation in the south - most of the SEC has reserved their "all-in" for football. They occasionally play at being "all in" in basketball, but ultimately a coach leaves and the program and network fall apart and they wander in the wilderness trying to be decent again. It's why no one other than Kentucky has been able to be consistently above average for more than a decade or so.

HailStateSZN19
03-22-2021, 02:16 PM
This is the most realistic list that I've seen since all these threads have been started. I'd also probably add Kyle Keller at Stephen F Austin. He's really built upon what Underwood got going there and has had them rolling. They're 44-8 in the last two years.

The best thing I?ve read in a while on hiring a new basketball HC is don?t hire a coach based off their NCAAT runs (probably what I woulda done prior to reading this). If you wouldn?t hire them March 1st, don?t hire them April 1st. Look at their full body of work in the regular season and conference tournaments. Don?t hire someone based off a run in the NCAAT one season.

All those guys I listed are guys who have taken their no-name small schools and built them into a year in-year out winner of their conference more times than not and they go on into the NCAAT and cause some problems for teams that severely outmatch them physically and skill wise. I love Craig Smith but idk about his offensive philosophy. Richie Riley has done really really well at USA and Wes Miller has done a heck of a job at UNCG and gave FSU a scare in the 1st round. Pope at BYU might be more than we could pull off. There?s some really good young, up and coming coaches at smaller schools that could be our Nate Oats or our Eric Musselman who play and fun, exciting style of basketball.

smootness
03-22-2021, 02:31 PM
The best thing I?ve read in a while on hiring a new basketball HC is don?t hire a coach based off their NCAAT runs

Correct. It always cracks me up when every year the hot names listed on message boards like these are just the coaches of lower-seeded teams who won a game or 2 in that year's tournament.