PDA

View Full Version : Keep an eye on next Thursday

starkvegasdawg
03-20-2021, 12:54 AM
Things still far from certain, but next Thursday trying to get that vibe to it. Especially south of I-20.

99jc
03-20-2021, 08:24 AM
damn your depressing....need to block your weather posts***. i've seen enough bad stuff this past year to last me 2 lifetimes. thanks for your updates.

DownwardDawg
03-20-2021, 11:51 AM
Thanks brother!!

Extendedcab
03-20-2021, 12:24 PM
damn your depressing....need to block your weather posts***. i've seen enough bad stuff this past year to last me 2 lifetimes. thanks for your updates.

I fired the weather guys in another thread earlier this year for not predicting good weather! **** Weather has been kinda sucky! Keep up the good works guys!

parabrave
03-20-2021, 12:55 PM
Was about to ask you about this. According to GFS this will affect most of the state from the coast to the Tenn Border/

Dolphus Raymond
03-20-2021, 01:04 PM
Just damn.
Are we going to get any colder weather out of this front or is spring really here for good?
I really appreciate these weather threads.

parabrave
03-20-2021, 01:28 PM
Just damn.
Are we going to get any colder weather out of this front or is spring really here for good?
I really appreciate these weather threads.

one last blast around the 29th will affect 82 north.

Dawgology
03-20-2021, 01:31 PM
Keep an eye on TOMORROW! It?s going to be a beautiful day. White clouds and sun shining. We will also be completing a sweep of LSU.

parabrave
03-20-2021, 02:59 PM
Keep an eye on TOMORROW! It?s going to be a beautiful day. White clouds and sun shining. We will also be completing a sweep of LSU.

Hey that sunshine optimism is not allowed here.**

shoeless joe
03-20-2021, 04:12 PM

Fair weather fan I see...

parabrave
03-20-2021, 06:09 PM
Well if your on the coast and you haven't fixed your roofs yet you had better hurry.

Churchill
03-21-2021, 11:06 AM
SVD, I know this is not a very sophisticated question but is this starting to feel like it may be an early spring (if there is such a thing) ?

starkvegasdawg
03-21-2021, 11:52 AM
SVD, I know this is not a very sophisticated question but is this starting to feel like it may be an early spring (if there is such a thing) ?

Not really. Our spring severe weather season kicks off 3/1 and goes through about the first 10 or so days in May so we went 16 days into our severe season before our first real event. What it may be is an active severe weather spring where we have above normal severe threats. We are in a La Ni?a pattern which favors an active spring severe season in Dixie Alley.

Our season peaks in late April here. In fact, the most active day for tornadoes in MS is 4/27. That day has seen more tornadoes than any other day in our history. But temps and everything for the most part have been right in queue. I remember last year we had red maples blooming out in early February.

starkvegasdawg
03-21-2021, 06:33 PM
Jackson NWS now getting on board for Thursday:

Global model guidance and their respective ensemble members have come into agreement on the potential for a more significant severe
weather episode on Thursday as a vigorous negatively tilted shortwave trough swings through the Lower Mississippi Valley while a
deepening surface low lifts from northeast Texas and through central Arkansas. A robust warm sector will be in place across much of the
area with dew points well into the upper 60s to low 70s. Low-level mass response to the deepening low will foster a strengthening 50-
60kt low-level jet that will overspread the warm sector. Surface-based instability of 2000-2500 J/kg juxtaposed with 300-400 m2/s2 of
0-1km SRH and plentiful deep-layer shear oriented off the initiating boundary will support an environment favorable for all modes of severe weather.

parabrave
03-21-2021, 09:09 PM
For the Coast we are going to get plastered Wed and Thrus, 7 inches of rain for both days and numerous TSTORMS. Rocket needs to watchout Fri.

DownwardDawg
03-22-2021, 03:18 PM
Any updates?

Dawg_Lover
03-22-2021, 04:03 PM
Jackson NWS now getting on board for Thursday:

Global model guidance and their respective ensemble members have come into agreement on the potential for a more significant severe
weather episode on Thursday as a vigorous negatively tilted shortwave trough swings through the Lower Mississippi Valley while a
deepening surface low lifts from northeast Texas and through central Arkansas. A robust warm sector will be in place across much of the
area with dew points well into the upper 60s to low 70s. Low-level mass response to the deepening low will foster a strengthening 50-
60kt low-level jet that will overspread the warm sector. Surface-based instability of 2000-2500 J/kg juxtaposed with 300-400 m2/s2 of
0-1km SRH and plentiful deep-layer shear oriented off the initiating boundary will support an environment favorable for all modes of severe weather.

Sorry for being a pain, but thinking I need the Weather for Dummies version.

parabrave
03-22-2021, 04:24 PM
Any updates?

Stay out of North Mississippi and TUSK land Thrus. Rocket this includes you.

starkvegasdawg
03-22-2021, 04:41 PM
Any updates?

Latest model trends are continuing to show a potentially significant severe weather event Thursday. Raw model numbers are actually looking worse than this past Wednesday, although that in no way means a higher end event is expected. Even this close it's still too far out to tell. By tomorrow evening the HRRR will start weighing in on the matter and then we can start trying to nail down the finer details. Target area has been fluctuating some with the models but right now I'm saying between Hattiesburg and Cleveland you need to be paying particular attention. Models the last few runs seem to be trending towards a SW to NE corridor from Vicksburg to Columbus as being the favored area.

DownwardDawg
03-22-2021, 05:47 PM

Done deal!

DownwardDawg
03-22-2021, 05:47 PM
Latest model trends are continuing to show a potentially significant severe weather event Thursday. Raw model numbers are actually looking worse than this past Wednesday, although that in no way means a higher end event is expected. Even this close it's still too far out to tell. By tomorrow evening the HRRR will start weighing in on the matter and then we can start trying to nail down the finer details. Target area has been fluctuating some with the models but right now I'm saying between Hattiesburg and Cleveland you need to be paying particular attention. Models the last few runs seem to be trending towards a SW to NE corridor from Vicksburg to Columbus as being the favored area.

Thanks man. I appreciate the update!!! We all do!

RocketDawg
03-22-2021, 06:33 PM

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.

parabrave
03-22-2021, 09:21 PM
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.

GFS 18Z Thrus

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2021032218/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_13.png

RocketDawg
03-22-2021, 09:31 PM
GFS 18Z Thrus

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2021032218/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_13.png

Whoops ....

starkvegasdawg
03-23-2021, 11:40 AM
Morning model runs are starting to come in and things aren't looking any better. Things are shaping up for another possible tornado outbreak Thursday. There's still a couple possible kill switches for it, but those are looking less likely the closer we get. No real change in my thinking as far as location goes. If anything, maybe a slight expansion back to the northwest to cover more of the delta.

parabrave
03-23-2021, 11:55 AM
Here is your map. We are about to get the yearly flooding event here on the coast.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExK04aQWgAILa5C?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

ScoobaDawg
03-23-2021, 01:31 PM
Almost the whole state of MS and half of bama in ENH already... won't be surprised if another High risk area is issued by thursday.
Don't like the numbers I'm seeing for parts of the state...

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day3otlk_0730.gif

ScoobaDawg
03-23-2021, 01:35 PM
may not have been any major tornadoes last week (4 ef2's) but a total of 46 across the area over 2 days,

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExLE2ukVgAcZ81Q?format=jpg&name=large

starkvegasdawg
03-23-2021, 01:43 PM
Almost the whole state of MS and half of bama in ENH already... won't be surprised if another High risk area is issued by thursday.
Don't like the numbers I'm seeing for parts of the state...

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day3otlk_0730.gif

I fully expect a mod risk. I'm iffy if they go high again even though the numbers look better than last week.

parabrave
03-23-2021, 02:30 PM
may not have been any major tornadoes last week (4 ef2's) but a total of 46 across the area over 2 days,

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExLE2ukVgAcZ81Q?format=jpg&name=large

Scooba where is this map found, Also what is the site where you can find the tornadoes paths/tracks?

starkvegasdawg
03-23-2021, 03:24 PM
The hi-res HRRR is coming in now showing the beginning of the Thursday event. Main threat area now looks to be anywhere north of I -20 and east of I-55. Now don't let your guard down if you're not in that area, but that looks to be ground zero as of right now. This could easily turn into a backyard storm chase for me.

Churchill
03-23-2021, 03:46 PM
I think the most profound quote I've read this spring was a attributed a meteorologist (I forgot his name) when he said (paraphrasing) " I don't care what the forecast says, when a tornado is coming up YOUR street, it's your April 27, 2011 ". So when there's any chance tornadoes...I've got my antenna up !

starkvegasdawg
03-23-2021, 04:40 PM
I think the most profound quote I've read this spring was a attributed a meteorologist (I forgot his name) when he said (paraphrasing) " I don't care what the forecast says, when a tornado is coming up YOUR street, it's your April 27, 2011 ". So when there's any chance tornadoes...I've got my antenna up !

I know James Spann says that a lot.

starkvegasdawg
03-23-2021, 11:55 PM
Evening model runs continue to depict a probable high end tornado event Thursday afternoon. Parameters are better for this one than the high risk we had last week. Models are coming into good agreement of a more northern track of the low pressure center which will pull the threat a little further north and encompass most of central and northern MS...especially areas east of I-55. Model guidance is showing storms going severe late morning to early afternoon with discrete supercells being the primary storm mode. Any that do develop with have a good chance of going tornadic and at least some violent and long tracked ones are possible. I know I said the same thing last week and MS dodged a bullet, but the set up for this system is different. An extremely strong low level jet looks to be in place for the duration of the event and that will help the storms quickly go severe and rotate. One possible saving grace is that we may end up with too many storms forming and they end up choking each other down. That is due to there being very little convective inhibition, or cap, forecast and storms will be firing at will.

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2021, 01:15 AM
The SPC has upgraded north and central MS to a moderate risk. This includes a 15% hatched threat for significant tornadoes. They are still mentioning storm mode will be discrete supercells.

https://weather.cod.edu/text/products/spc/conOutlookGraphic.php?load=d2-graphic
https://weather.cod.edu/text/products/spc/conOutlookGraphic.php?load=d2-tor

ScoobaDawg
03-24-2021, 01:47 AM
Not liking this setup at all... Really hope everyone doesn't take it lightly after last weeks system not performing in ms.

https://twitter.com/TornadoezWX/status/1374609698045956096?s=19

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2021, 03:38 AM
Not liking this setup at all... Really hope everyone doesn't take it lightly after last weeks system not performing in ms.

https://twitter.com/TornadoezWX/status/1374609698045956096?s=19

I agree on hoping people aren't complacent. This is a completely different scenario than last week. While this one could bust it's not as likely. And something that hasn't been mentioned...these storms will be traveling 50-60mph. So if you go under a warning don't go outside trying to see the tornado. They will be on you before you know it - especially if you're depending on your radar app on your phone. Average radar lag time is 5 minutes so at these speeds the storms can be ahead of radar images by 4-6 miles.

RocketDawg
03-24-2021, 07:03 AM
Vegas and Scooba - do you guys stay up all night?

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2021, 07:23 AM
Vegas and Scooba - do you guys stay up all night?

You mean you sleep?

I wake up during the night, especially when there's a big update coming I want to see. You'd be surprised how many chasers stay up for the overnight update when a big storm is coming.

Commercecomet24
03-24-2021, 09:22 AM
Thank y'all so much for the info! Appreciate all your hard work and you make it easy to understand for those of us who aren't meteorologists.

Activated Alpha
03-24-2021, 09:37 AM
I agree on hoping people aren't complacent. This is a completely different scenario than last week. While this one could bust it's not as likely. And something that hasn't been mentioned...these storms will be traveling 50-60mph. So if you go under a warning don't go outside trying to see the tornado. They will be on you before you know it - especially if you're depending on your radar app on your phone. Average radar lag time is 5 minutes so at these speeds the storms can be ahead of radar images by 4-6 miles.

How is Brandon looking in the models? Live near downtown

Cooterpoot
03-24-2021, 09:58 AM
We've become weather pussies. Every day is an alert day of some kind.

StarkVegasSteve
03-24-2021, 10:13 AM
SVD, I'm driving back to Starkville sometime later tomorrow afternoon. What time should all of this have moved out of the area? I'm coming from Memphis.

shoeless joe
03-24-2021, 10:34 AM
We've become weather pussies. Every day is an alert day of some kind.

Definitely some truth to this. And I absolutely appreciate what the guys on here do as I am fascinated by all weather types myself.

I wonder a lot about whether the weather is worse now than 25 yrs ago or if we just have so much technology and better understanding that it seems that way because we are more aware of everything goin on.

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2021, 10:48 AM
SVD, I'm driving back to Starkville sometime later tomorrow afternoon. What time should all of this have moved out of the area? I'm coming from Memphis.

Models currently have the storms firing along the I-55 corridor around noon give or take and exiting into AL around 6:00.

Cooterpoot
03-24-2021, 10:49 AM
Definitely some truth to this. And I absolutely appreciate what the guys on here do as I am fascinated by all weather types myself.

I wonder a lot about whether the weather is worse now than 25 yrs ago or if we just have so much technology and better understanding that it seems that way because we are more aware of everything goin on.

I appreciate the technology. It's a huge help! It's just this whole level 3 alert day or level 4 alert day etc. is out of control. Kids are getting out early today here and it's not even raining or even warm. Maybe it's due to the trailer parks in MS. We all have a better shot of dying in wreck going to work, than getting hit by a tornado. And my place has just missed three or four in the last year. TV stations stay on the weather repeating the same thing over and over for hours. Geez, if people aren't smart enough to cover their asses, stop!

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2021, 10:49 AM

Weather isn't worse. We just have such good technology now we are better able to forecast it and the 24 hour news cycles puts everything that happens front and center. If it bleeds it leads.

ScoobaDawg
03-24-2021, 11:48 AM
I appreciate the technology. It's a huge help! It's just this whole level 3 alert day or level 4 alert day etc. is out of control. Kids are getting out early today here and it's not even raining or even warm. Maybe it's due to the trailer parks in MS. We all have a better shot of dying in wreck going to work, than getting hit by a tornado. And my place has just missed three or four in the last year. TV stations stay on the weather repeating the same thing over and over for hours. Geez, if people aren't smart enough to cover their asses, stop!

Technology is great but still far from perfect... as seen last week. If the national weather service and all the groups that research could get better funding, I believe forecasting within few days could get even better. if the amount of data being observed with weather balloons, planes, and other instruments ...could grow a lot more,the data out would be even more accurate.

I strongly disagree with calling people "pussies" for respecting weather more now... Especially with what the pandemic taught us last year, school can be taught from home for a day if needed. just like there won't be snow days anymore.
I have no idea why any school in your area would be releasing early today though.. (i might be missing something though)

There is nothing wrong with tv stations staying on the air when there is an immediate danger to the counties they cover such as severe thunderstorm or a tornado warning. If you don't like the tv station you are watching. change the channel and see if the other channels aren't doing the same.

I mean you are kinda right, if people aren't smart enough to cover their asses..and learn a little about weather.. why should anyone help them.. why should anyone help anyone with anything in life???

Come on man...

Cooterpoot
03-24-2021, 11:59 AM
Technology is great but still far from perfect... as seen last week. If the national weather service and all the groups that research could get better funding, I believe forecasting within few days could get even better. if the amount of data being observed with weather balloons, planes, and other instruments ...could grow a lot more,the data out would be even more accurate.

I strongly disagree with calling people "pussies" for respecting weather more now... Especially with what the pandemic taught us last year, school can be taught from home for a day if needed. just like there won't be snow days anymore.
I have no idea why any school in your area would be releasing early today though.. (i might be missing something though)

There is nothing wrong with tv stations staying on the air when there is an immediate danger to the counties they cover such as severe thunderstorm or a tornado warning. If you don't like the tv station you are watching. change the channel and see if the other channels aren't doing the same.

I mean you are kinda right, if people aren't smart enough to cover their asses..and learn a little about weather.. why should anyone help them.. why should anyone help anyone with anything in life???

Come on man...

My kid's ACT scores went down after distance learning. They shouldn't be out of school. And you can't make stupid people seek shelter if they just don't care. After a couple hours, it's pointless.

ScoobaDawg
03-24-2021, 12:13 PM
My kid's ACT scores went down after distance learning. They shouldn't be out of school. And you can't make stupid people seek shelter if they just don't care. After a couple hours, it's pointless.

I can't speak to what happened to your kids. It could be the school or it could be you, and I ain't their parents nor know your life to judge you like that..

You can talk about how many stupid people don't care... but how about how many people it DOES help. It's been proven that deaths from weather are down thanks to technology advances.. from advance warning to the ability to alert people via texts or apps in seconds. It's far from pointless and is very important.

If you don't think they should be out of school.. do your diligence and make your voice heard. voice your objection to the school. then the school board... then your local government.. all the way up to the mayor if you like.

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2021, 02:03 PM
SPC contemplating an upgrade of a high risk at the overnight update. Parameters still continue a major tornado outbreak tomorrow for east MS north of I-20. Two possible mitigating factors would be morning rain and clouds hanging around and not letting the sun through to reload the atmosphere and there being too many storms forming and fighting for energy leading to a messy rainy conglomerate. Any storms that can get out by themselves will be bad.

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2021, 04:10 PM
From Jackson NWS:

Severe storms will be possible across the entire forecast area
Thursday. However, current high-res model trends continue to suggest
the area of best threat for the most intense and destructive fast-
moving super cells, will reside over the area mainly along and
northeast of a Grenada to Jackson to Meridian line. It`ll be here
that the best conglomeration of peak severe parameters in afternoon
heating are expected. Regardless, in the most intense storms,
tornadoes will be likely, with some of those tornadoes potentially
being strong and long-tracked. Damaging winds up to 80 mph and hail
greater than golf ball size are also possible.

RocketDawg
03-24-2021, 04:39 PM
From Jackson NWS:

Severe storms will be possible across the entire forecast area
Thursday. However, current high-res model trends continue to suggest
the area of best threat for the most intense and destructive fast-
moving super cells, will reside over the area mainly along and
northeast of a Grenada to Jackson to Meridian line. It`ll be here
that the best conglomeration of peak severe parameters in afternoon
heating are expected. Regardless, in the most intense storms,
tornadoes will be likely, with some of those tornadoes potentially
being strong and long-tracked. Damaging winds up to 80 mph and hail
greater than golf ball size are also possible.

So the northeastern quadrant of Mississippi and north Alabama is the bullseye. Hmm - that includes me. Last time we were right on the edge, this time more toward the center.

parabrave
03-24-2021, 04:52 PM
So the northeastern quadrant of Mississippi and north Alabama is the bullseye. Hmm - that includes me. Last time we were right on the edge, this time more toward the center.

Time to go visit Commencent and Downward Dogs!!

Mjoelner34
03-24-2021, 05:38 PM
Tusk-nado ally right in the bullseye tomorrow. Keep your ears up and your head down Tusk.

DownwardDawg
03-24-2021, 05:41 PM

Come on down!!!!'

Commercecomet24
03-24-2021, 06:02 PM

I'm here brother! Come on!

parabrave
03-24-2021, 09:01 PM
I'm here brother! Come on!

Not when you see whats about to hit ya'll from the south.

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2021, 10:14 PM
Hearing some strong rumors that unless something changes in the next couple of hours expect an upgrade to a high risk for parts of MS and AL at the 1:00am update.

Also, of note the latest model trends are starting to show a capping inversion setting up over the area tomorrow. That is a double edged sword. It will keep the number of storms down from what it could be, but those that break the cap will be all by themselves and in an environment that will allow them to go nuclear.

shoeless joe
03-24-2021, 10:43 PM
Hearing some strong rumors that unless something changes in the next couple of hours expect an upgrade to a high risk for parts of MS and AL at the 1:00am update.

Also, of note the latest model trends are starting to show a capping inversion setting up over the area tomorrow. That is a double edged sword. It will keep the number of storms down from what it could be, but those that break the cap will be all by themselves and in an environment that will allow them to go nuclear.

Laubhan just mentioned this several times on his forecast. Sounded somewhat hopeful but also warned that it could backfire

Commercecomet24
03-24-2021, 10:53 PM
Not when you see whats about to hit ya'll from the south.

We just getting a little rain here not much going on. My son in the athletic dorm at Jones though just told me lightning struck a transformer there and they're without power.

DownwardDawg
03-24-2021, 11:49 PM
We just getting a little rain here not much going on. My son in the athletic dorm at Jones though just told me lightning struck a transformer there and they're without power.

Dude it's storming here!!

Commercecomet24
03-25-2021, 12:08 AM
Dude it's storming here!!

Just rain and a little thunder here.

starkvegasdawg
03-25-2021, 01:13 AM
High risk issued. Tornado outbreak expected.

https://climate.cod.edu/data/text/images/spc/co/day1/tornado/spccoday1.tornado.latest.png?v=555

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 01:20 AM
Parts of Ms upgraded to high... Be very aware today guys

https://twitter.com/NWSSPC/status/1374966355439484931?s=19

starkvegasdawg
03-25-2021, 01:29 AM
Was just talking to a meteorologist. Off the record he expects the cap to break in the golden triangle region and be bad tomorrow. Thinks the northern part of the high risk is conditional as storms might not be able to break the cap there.

parabrave
03-25-2021, 03:10 AM
Bad Cell around Starkville areas.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 09:57 AM
So it begins...

Tornado warning for east central noxubee county.

On another note... there really needs to be another radar in this area..

DLGDawg
03-25-2021, 10:32 AM
Sun is out here in Webster County. Got "that feeling" outside.

So it begins...

Tornado warning for east central noxubee county.

On another note... there really needs to be another radar in this area..

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 10:33 AM
Sun is out here in Webster County. Got "that feeling" outside.

You are exactly right... sun is not a good thing today...

https://twitter.com/WCBIWEATHER/status/1375108079696633871

KB21
03-25-2021, 10:45 AM
So, what are we looking at in the Hattiesburg area today?

Churchill
03-25-2021, 10:52 AM
Brett Adair is about a mile from my house in Madison. That can't be a good thing.

WinningIsRelentless
03-25-2021, 10:56 AM
Brett Adair is about a mile from my house in Madison. That can't be a good thing.

If these clouds don?t break we will be good

Churchill
03-25-2021, 11:02 AM
I know east Ms. and west Al. are getting the attention now but I don't like the way thins are shaping up around the Jackson metro at all.

starkvegasdawg
03-25-2021, 11:05 AM
Expect main storm initiation around noon. They're expected to rapidly go severe and then tornadic. I'm out now staged. Once things start going I probably won't be in here very much.

RC3
03-25-2021, 11:16 AM
Sun just poked through in attala county too. Definitely that feeling in the air

SaintDawg
03-25-2021, 11:40 AM
sun is out in Brandon

starkvegasdawg
03-25-2021, 11:40 AM
PDS watch now issued. Storms starting to fire near Jackson that may be the start of this. Tracking towards Starkville.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 11:59 AM
tornado warning for northern hale county... will pass just south of tuscaloosa looks like.

WinningIsRelentless
03-25-2021, 12:02 PM
PDS watch now issued. Storms starting to fire near Jackson that may be the start of this. Tracking towards Starkville.

What?s the difference between a tornado watch and a pds tornado watch????

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 12:02 PM
As noted. PDS issued until 8pm today

https://twitter.com/NWSSPC/status/1375124893453283328

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 12:04 PM
What?s the difference between a tornado watch and a pds tornado watch????

PDS tornado (TOR) watches are issued when the forecaster has high confidence that multiple strong (F2-F3 on the Fujita Scale) or violent tornadoes (F4-F5 on the Fujita Scale) will occur in the watch area,

shoeless joe
03-25-2021, 12:06 PM
Sun playing peek a boo here in golden triangle...hot and muggy. I’ve told the kids to have their shoes at the back door and be ready to head to the storm shelter at a moments notice.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 12:58 PM
Major hail storm over walnut Grove right now with up to 3.5 inch hail possibly. Watching the two storms that are severe thunderstorms including this one. Nothing popping off yet.

The storm passed south of Tuscaloosa and is cycling.. Looks very nasty on radar with big hook.. Might hold together all the way up to hoover

HaggardDawg
03-25-2021, 01:01 PM
So is jackson area in the clear at this point?

DownwardDawg
03-25-2021, 01:07 PM
Warning sirens sounding now!

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 01:08 PM
Tornado warning.. Possible tornado near Prentiss

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 01:09 PM
So is jackson area in the clear at this point?

Not till 8pm or so. Will be more

Commercecomet24
03-25-2021, 01:11 PM
Warning sirens sounding now!

Stay safe!

Cooterpoot
03-25-2021, 01:12 PM
And so it begins. Looks like my farm is in the crosshairs again.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 01:13 PM
Tornado Warning for parts of Simpson, Smith, Covington, and Jefferson Davis Counties

DownwardDawg
03-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Stay safe!

I think it's going to pass to my west a couple of miles. Headed towards Cooters farm unfortunately.

DownwardDawg
03-25-2021, 01:20 PM
I wish I could read these radars like some of you guys. I'm looking at RadarScope but I can't make them out like some folks. I'm still trying to learn.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 01:22 PM
I wish I could read these radars like some of you guys. I'm looking at RadarScope but I can't make them out like some folks. I'm still trying to learn.

Ask away any questions.
I do strongly suggest upgrading to pro. It's I think like 12.99 a year or something. I couldn't work with the basic version. Have to be able to see the tools for speed, distance, dual views...

parabrave
03-25-2021, 01:25 PM
Tor warning Smith Jasper County HWY 84 guys.

KB21
03-25-2021, 01:27 PM
I think it's going to pass to my west a couple of miles. Headed towards Cooters farm unfortunately.

About to get some heavy rain here in the Oak Grove area.

DownwardDawg
03-25-2021, 01:28 PM
Ask away any questions.
I do strongly suggest upgrading to pro. It's I think like 12.99 a year or something. I couldn't work with the basic version. Have to be able to see the tools for speed, distance, dual views...

I may shoot you a pm later and share some screenshots I took and maybe you can school me.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 01:28 PM
Key ones with severe storms though.
Reflectivity.. Normal radar. Sometimes you need to shuffle to different tilts to get away from noise of the radar.

Velocity - shows wind speeds. Red is positive.. Winds coming to the radar. Green is negative and heading away from radar. I might be flipping those.

Quite often I flip between close radar sites to get the best view of the storms because can be a lot of noise especially with hail.

Correlation coefficient. This is the one I don't like looking at. You are looking for a change in color such as blue blocks near the storm. If there is stuff being thrown in the air, this is where you see it.. And can confirm a tornado on the ground.

Vertically integrated liquid... Shows hail and hail size.

Can break down lots more latter

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 01:31 PM
Tornado warning for near Paulette. Heading into Bama..
Heading towards aliceville (tusk???) and Carrollton

parabrave
03-25-2021, 01:36 PM
TUSK land in the bullseye. Y'all stay on alert on the 45 corridor

parabrave
03-25-2021, 01:39 PM
Key ones with severe storms though.
Reflectivity.. Normal radar. Sometimes you need to shuffle to different tilts to get away from noise of the radar.

Velocity - shows wind speeds. Red is positive.. Winds coming to the radar. Green is negative and heading away from radar. I might be flipping those.

Quite often I flip between close radar sites to get the best view of the storms because can be a lot of noise especially with hail.

Correlation coefficient. This is the one I don't like looking at. You are looking for a change in color such as blue blocks near the storm. If there is stuff being thrown in the air, this is where you see it.. And can confirm a tornado on the ground.

Vertically integrated liquid... Shows hail and hail size.

Can break down lots more latter

Used to be able to get the different types of velocity radars on the NWS site but they cut that out..

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 01:54 PM
Large violent tornado just east of birmingham...
https://twitter.com/BrandonCopicWx/status/1375156949323558917

Liverpooldawg
03-25-2021, 02:04 PM
Large violent tornado just east of birmingham...
https://twitter.com/BrandonCopicWx/status/1375156949323558917

That one just crossed 280 about 3 miles south of 459. That's a very heavily populated area with lots of retail.

TUSK
03-25-2021, 02:06 PM
Tusk-nado ally right in the bullseye tomorrow. Keep your ears up and your head down Tusk.

No Shit.... I live right in the middle of it.....

We got hammered this morning but it looks like it's moving on through....

Commercecomet24
03-25-2021, 02:10 PM

Keep your head down over there.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 02:14 PM
That one just crossed 280 about 3 miles south of 459. That's a very heavily populated area with lots of retail.

Hit James Spann's house evidently...

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 02:15 PM

warning for that are cancelled... but stay alert... 6 more hours or till the cold front passes.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 02:35 PM
torando warning for se newton and kemper
rotation indictated on radar on top of chunky currently.

Heading towards north of Meridian, towards nellieburg.

3/4inch hail indicated.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 02:47 PM
Another tornado in bama... just south of Berry, al. heading towards oakman, parrish... ramping up fast.

DownwardDawg
03-25-2021, 03:10 PM
How do you turn off the stupid alerts on the weather channel tv station??! I can't listen to a damn thing they are talking about due to the constant beeps about my flash flood watch that I'm not the least bit concerned about. I ended up having to change the channel. Can't watch the tornado weather in Bama.

MetEdDawg
03-25-2021, 03:26 PM
I live in Alabaster and go to church in Helena. Just surveyed the damage. Looks like high end EF1 to low end EF2. Trees uprooted and snapped, power lines down. Got worse east of us and places like Pelham, Oak Mountain, Chelsea, and a few others are going to be worse off.

This was a very bad one.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 03:34 PM
How do you turn off the stupid alerts on the weather channel tv station??! I can't listen to a damn thing they are talking about due to the constant beeps about my flash flood watch that I'm not the least bit concerned about. I ended up having to change the channel. Can't watch the tornado weather in Bama.

Don't watch the weather channel would be my advice...

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 03:37 PM
I live in Alabaster and go to church in Helena. Just surveyed the damage. Looks like high end EF1 to low end EF2. Trees uprooted and snapped, power lines down. Got worse east of us and places like Pelham, Oak Mountain, Chelsea, and a few others are going to be worse off.

This was a very bad one.

that tornado has essentially been on the ground since crossing the ms/al line and going just south of tuscaloosa... and now it's still going... into georgia. goodness.

DownwardDawg
03-25-2021, 03:52 PM
Don't watch the weather channel would be my advice...

Lol. I knew that was coming!!!
I had to change my home zip code. I chose Omaha Nebraska for some reason.

SaintDawg
03-25-2021, 04:28 PM
threat over for central ms? nothing here so far.

ScoobaDawg
03-25-2021, 04:47 PM
threat over for central ms? nothing here so far.

Yes.
https://twitter.com/PatrickEllisWx/status/1375202077882847236

Cooterpoot
03-25-2021, 05:08 PM
It's rained a few gallons today. Sun ☀️ s coming out now.

Churchill
03-25-2021, 05:14 PM
What's going on in Al. right now is damn scary.

William Tecumsah Sherman
03-25-2021, 06:17 PM
I hope you Bama Dawga are ok. Total destruction in some areas.

starkvegasdawg
03-25-2021, 08:45 PM
Got on the long track tornado that went through Centerville. Got a brief glimpse of it at but trying to catch it from behind in the rain. The damage path where it crossed 82 was two miles wide so it was a hell of a wedge tornado. That said, none of the damage we saw looked too bad. Lots of snapped trees, couple roofs peeled off, and a jackknifed 18 wheeler. Did hear a report of one family trapped in their home due to a tree falling on it.