PDA

View Full Version : Our staff

Homedawg
03-19-2021, 08:58 PM
A testament to our staff is the fact we took CM out after 6 innings when he was rolling. In years past we would have had no choice but to leave him in no matter if he was rolling or not to protect the weekend. This year, we take him out , and smith deals for three innings. Now at some point, somewhere, this will backfire and people will go crazy. But we have the depth to do this and survive for 3 games and still have quality pitchers not pitching and hell, we have some sitting at home!

msstate7
03-19-2021, 08:59 PM
I like our baseball staff

Saltydog
03-19-2021, 09:01 PM
Yeah, you would've thought they would've allowed more kids to travel this year. Gotta feel bad for some of these kids. I mean, we got kids who are pitching their asses off in the mid week that can't go on a road game.

The Federalist Engineer
03-19-2021, 09:06 PM
Now we know what it is like to be Vandy .... so little innings, so many great arms

Now we have Bednar tomorrow

PGHBulldogBG
03-19-2021, 09:12 PM
Even if the hire was messy, I give Cohen credit for this. We have a great baseball coach and staff

Cowbell
03-19-2021, 09:25 PM
A testament to our staff is the fact we took CM out after 6 innings when he was rolling. In years past we would have had no choice but to leave him in no matter if he was rolling or not to protect the weekend. This year, we take him out , and smith deals for three innings. Now at some point, somewhere, this will backfire and people will go crazy. But we have the depth to do this and survive for 3 games and still have quality pitchers not pitching and hell, we have some sitting at home!

I second this. And the other most storied team in the league can't even pull their guy due to having no bullpen.

maroonmania
03-19-2021, 09:26 PM
How about the staff's willingness to put Braylon Skinner right into the starting lineup for our first SEC game in Baton Rouge even though he only had 3 ABs to his credit before tonight. And Skinner comes through with the first 3 RBIs of the game. Lemonis is going to do whatever he thinks gives us the best chance to win no matter some may think (sorry LJ). I love that our staff is going to do what's best for the team and isn't trying to just keep people happy.

chef dixon
03-19-2021, 09:27 PM
Lemonis has taken us to elite territory. We were already really good.

BeardoMSU
03-19-2021, 09:32 PM
Even if the hire was messy, I give Cohen credit for this. We have a great baseball coach and staff

He and his coaches have been great. Foxhall especially.

Saltydog
03-19-2021, 09:46 PM
That decision really doesn't surprise me a whole heck'uva lot to be honest. Skinner had a great fall and Lemonis has said on multiple occasions that he was "dynamic".

The Federalist Engineer
03-19-2021, 09:46 PM

Maybe some Credit

If ever Lemonis get tired of Cohen, he needs to say so publicly and the Fans, Alumni will have Barney Rubble walked out so his wife can pick him up.

Homedawg
03-19-2021, 09:59 PM
That decision really doesn't surprise me a whole heck'uva lot to be honest. Skinner had a great fall and Lemonis has said on multiple occasions that he was "dynamic".

This. He took a bit to get used to playing d1 in the fall. But he took off late fall and really was going this spring. He's not an elite hitter yet. But his speed is. And he, obviously, has the ability to turn on a ball. Breaking balls are about to be his diet after the fastballs he pissed on tonight.

Homedawg
03-19-2021, 10:01 PM
He and his coaches have been great. Foxhall especially.

Our staff- all of them- are very good and we will have to move on. They all will get better opportunities. They are all that good. Cheese included.... even w that terrible decision to send Tanner tonight!! Haha

skadoosh14
03-19-2021, 10:44 PM
Now at some point, somewhere, this will backfire and people will go crazy

Explain

Homedawg
03-19-2021, 10:47 PM
Explain

We pull a guy and our relief guy, that day fails, the melt will begin.

Commercecomet24
03-19-2021, 11:59 PM

Amen! As an old coach said "if you ain't got pitching you ain't got squat!"

Well we got plenty of squat. Our staff is crazy good. As Ben McDonald said tonight it's like We have a major league bullpen.

Okrastar1
03-20-2021, 12:09 AM
We are STOOOPID rich! Think about this...

Friday- CM then hand it to Smith
Saturday- Bednar then hand it to Lando
Sunday- Cerantola(whatever you get) then hand it to Fristoe. All while you have Johnny wholestaff left for whenever! Oh yeah Houston goes midweek... what in the literal F, that?s insane

Todd4State
03-20-2021, 12:24 AM

I was thinking about that too when they left Hill in for 100 pitches tonight. Then again, burning pitchers up is a LSU tradition going back to the Skip Bertman era.

Yeah, you would've thought they would've allowed more kids to travel this year. Gotta feel bad for some of these kids. I mean, we got kids who are pitching their asses off in the mid week that can't go on a road game.

Honestly, much more than 30 and it would be hard to get all of those guys in a game unless the coach made a concious effort to do so.

How about the staff's willingness to put Braylon Skinner right into the starting lineup for our first SEC game in Baton Rouge even though he only had 3 ABs to his credit before tonight. And Skinner comes through with the first 3 RBIs of the game. Lemonis is going to do whatever he thinks gives us the best chance to win no matter some may think (sorry LJ). I love that our staff is going to do what's best for the team and isn't trying to just keep people happy.

He had won a starting OF job this spring before he got hurt. I'm just glad he looks like he is back to 100%. That's REALLY BIG for us. I'm a little surprised that he was in LF and not CF but maybe he isn't quite as good defensively as I think he is sort of like Vince Coleman.

I think we're going to get even better too. Seriously.

We are STOOOPID rich! Think about this...

Friday- CM then hand it to Smith
Saturday- Bednar then hand it to Lando
Sunday- Cerantola(whatever you get) then hand it to Fristoe. All while you have Johnny wholestaff left for whenever! Oh yeah Houston goes midweek... what in the literal F, that?s insane

I really like Preston Johnson and Parker Stinnett too.

Todd4State
03-20-2021, 12:39 AM
And meanwhile Ole Miss and Vanderbilt are throwing their Friday night guys around 120 pitches apiece in cold weather.

yjnkdawg
03-20-2021, 10:36 AM
He had won a starting OF job this spring before he got hurt. I'm just glad he looks like he is back to 100%. That's REALLY BIG for us. I'm a little surprised that he was in LF and not CF but maybe he isn't quite as good defensively as I think he is sort of like Vince Coleman.

He should at some point in time get to the CF position.

yjnkdawg
03-20-2021, 10:49 AM
We pull a guy and our relief guy, that day fails, the melt will begin.

That's just reality on ED. Then the naysayers will come out from under their rocks again and then comes their negative posts Wash, rinse and repeat.

smootness
03-20-2021, 10:59 AM

Yep, this is the best spot our program has ever been in terms of consistent quality.

The Federalist Engineer
03-20-2021, 11:38 AM
That's just reality on ED. Then the naysayers will come out from under their rocks again and then comes their negative posts Wash, rinse and repeat.

Seriously though, do you want two game threads or just one.

The way to fix the issue is use the awesome “ignore” feature on this message board

Put all the melt queens, spineless cheerleaders, fake insiders, and the i-am-a-rebel and dog fans on that list. Problem solved

The Federalist Engineer
03-20-2021, 11:44 AM

I think worse than the melters will be all the bandwagon fans that never showed before - if we continue our hot streak and become #1 on some Poll. We have lots of Aggressive Soccer Mom types on this place. Gross.

Let’s see if John Cohen does the same in the physical world - potentially bothering Lemonis. If he appears on the radio instead of Polk, then its begun.

Cowbell
03-20-2021, 11:53 AM
And meanwhile Ole Miss and Vanderbilt are throwing their Friday night guys around 120 pitches apiece in cold weather.

I have been thinking about this too. I don't care if we lose a couple games in the regular season because of it, I want to have our guys healthy once regionals start

Cowbell
03-20-2021, 11:54 AM
SEC tournament will be fun for us too because we will have good pitching the whole way.

Todd4State
03-20-2021, 12:12 PM
SEC tournament will be fun for us too because we will have good pitching the whole way.

I thought about that too.

Dolphus Raymond
03-20-2021, 01:30 PM
As with football, I know little about the ?in?s and out?s baseball. What I do know is that baseball is the most fickle sport in the world. (That?s baseball.). With all that being said, our pitching staff looks to be near the top in the nation.
It?s a long season and lots of things can happen, but this may be The Year.

Coach34
03-20-2021, 02:06 PM
We are locked in on Fridays with Mac/Smith and Sims to close if needed.

Got to figure Saturdays will be Bednar/Koestler and Sims to close

Sunday will be Canadian Bacon/Fristoe/Wholestaff with Sims to close

Just an elite staff that will give us a chance to win nearly every game we play. There will be a couple of bad starts or relief appearances- but 90% of the time we will get a good outing from these tandem guys. It's a great feeling to have

Commercecomet24
03-20-2021, 02:36 PM

Just an elite staff that will give us a chance to win nearly every game we play. There will be a couple of bad starts or relief appearances- but 90% of the time we will get a good outing from these tandem guys. It's a great feeling to have

This. I don't know that I've ever seen a staff this deep in college baseball. It's crazy the amount of quality arms we have.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2021, 02:37 PM

Indeed.

You think that Sims is now officially the closer and not a middle innings/fireman type guy at this point?

smootness
03-20-2021, 02:44 PM

The fact that Wholestaff includes guys like Preston Johnson and Stinnett is just ridiculous. Then add Houston Harding in once we hit the postseason. Absurd.

Coach34
03-20-2021, 04:15 PM
Indeed.

You think that Sims is now officially the closer and not a middle innings/fireman type guy at this point?

It looks like that is going to be his role but he could also be a guy that gets a 2 or even 3 inning close as opposed to just the standard one inning.

KOdawg1
03-20-2021, 05:01 PM
It looks like that is going to be his role but he could also be a guy that gets a 2 or even 3 inning close as opposed to just the standard one inning.

Yeah, he's too dynamic to be limited to just 3 innings a weekend. Bring him in during the 7th or 8th inning to shut the door and crush dreams.

Homedawg
03-20-2021, 05:26 PM
The fact that Wholestaff includes guys like Preston Johnson and Stinnett is just ridiculous. Then add Houston Harding in once we hit the postseason. Absurd.

Correct. Stinnet is pure filth. And Johnson is there with him. Think about this, last year in ever how many games w played forester had pitched in 7 of them. This year he's not even in the picture. Talley is the same, in a normal year he'd help..... A LOT!!!

maroonmania
03-20-2021, 10:00 PM
Correct. Stinnet is pure filth. And Johnson is there with him. Think about this, last year in ever how many games w played forester had pitched in 7 of them. This year he's not even in the picture. Talley is the same, in a normal year he'd help..... A LOT!!!

You know, just being honest, it would have made a lot more sense if a couple of our pitchers had quit during the season due to lack of playing time than for Landon Jordan to do that. Its just really difficult to get innings for all of these guys. And several of them would be getting a good number of innings at other schools but there are just too many good arms here ahead of them to get them on the mound. And its only going to get worse. Looks like the rest of the way we will only have one midweek game if we have that.

Homedawg
03-20-2021, 10:02 PM
You know, just being honest, it would have made a lot more sense if a couple of our pitchers had quit during the season due to lack of playing time than for Landon Jordan to do that. Its just really difficult to get innings for all of these guys. And several of them would be getting a good number of innings at other schools but there are just too many good arms here ahead of them to get them on the mound. And its only going to get worse. Looks like the rest of the way we will only have one midweek game if we have that.

You have a point. But quitting during the year is just dumb. Period. But I get ya. We have guys that didn't make the travel roster that are really good!! And I don't even know who didn't go!!!!

Todd4State
03-20-2021, 10:08 PM

Yeah Jack Eagan left before the season and he would have normally pitched a lot for us.

The awesome thing is a lot of these pitchers would be here even without COVID. It's not like all of these guys are fourth year juniors that we snuck through.

Homedawg
03-20-2021, 10:32 PM
Yeah Jack Eagan left before the season and he would have normally pitched a lot for us.

The awesome thing is a lot of these pitchers would be here even without COVID. It's not like all of these guys are fourth year juniors that we snuck through.

Covid saved us "possibly" the following... stinnett, Johnson, tullar, fristoe, teppar and even an outside shot of Cade smith. I know all would have been drafted relatively high, top 10 rounds or so. I don't know the numbers it would have taken to sign them but it would have been cringe worthy.