PDA

View Full Version : Sidney. Cooks

jdelta02
03-18-2021, 12:05 PM
Sodney Cooks announced transferring for final season of eligibility....indicated pursuing law school.

Homedawg
03-18-2021, 12:51 PM
Are we gonna field a roster next year??

Leeshouldveflanked
03-18-2021, 01:14 PM
Yemiyah Morris gone too.... Rickea on the clock.

Irondawg
03-18-2021, 01:22 PM
Neither are losses - I doubt either ends up P5

Homedawg
03-18-2021, 01:52 PM
Neither are losses - I doubt either ends up P5

Except she signed zero post players.... so we now have one...... at present.

KB21
03-18-2021, 02:08 PM
Except she signed zero post players.... so we now have one...... at present.

Well, we have Kohl, but she is not even a role player at this point. In fact, has anyone noticed that Nikki did not sign a single player that made an impact this season? Some will give her credit for Madison Hayes, but Madison was a Vic recruit, not a Nikki recruit.

BrunswickDawg
03-18-2021, 02:47 PM
Well, we have Kohl, but she is not even a role player at this point. In fact, has anyone noticed that Nikki did not sign a single player that made an impact this season? Some will give her credit for Madison Hayes, but Madison was a Vic recruit, not a Nikki recruit.

Not to defend her, but that's an unfair take. Signing was virtually done when she came on board. Vic left April 5th, she was hired April 9th.

Jacksondevildog
03-18-2021, 04:18 PM
My only concern is if the incoming players can create social justice memes for Insta and Twitter.

Ari Gold
03-18-2021, 07:49 PM
Well at least Dawn Staley sent out a tweet showing her support for NMP..
How embarrassing, and it tells you all you need to know what this is all really about...

bulldawg28
03-19-2021, 01:49 AM
How embarrassing, and it tells you all you need to know what this is all really about...

How you serious or did you leave off the asterisks? How is it embarrassing for another coach to send support publicly? It happens all the time.

Santiago
03-19-2021, 06:31 AM
How you serious or did you leave off the asterisks? How is it embarrassing for another coach to send support publicly? It happens all the time.

When has it ever happened in the same conference, a competing coach send a supporting tweet to another SEC coach for just having players transfer? I would get it if they lost a family member tragically or something.
I really liked Croom as a person, but this reminds me of that time and how other SEC coaches kept giving support, but also beating him to keep their jobs intact.
This current issue is embarrassing in the obvious reasons Staley is supporting this, mostly because she is winning right now and we are clearly not a threat anymore to her for the SEC. I would rather Staley be worried about facing us in the NCAA than doing a pity tweet.

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2021, 07:57 AM

I've actually never seen it happen until the coach is fired. Once they're fired everyone wants to tell you how great of a person and a coach they are. If she's already sending out tweets like that, then NMP may be on thinner ice than we believe.

Ari Gold
03-19-2021, 09:15 AM

I would love to see some examples.
I forgot Saban sent out encouragement tweets to Vols nation and Pruitt after his 1st season while he was preparing for the CFP..***

There I didn’t forget the asterisks

NWADAWG
03-19-2021, 09:58 AM

I think I understand what you're saying and you may be right. But, just looking this from a "how it impacts Dawn Staley" view, I'm sure Dawn was happy to see the one coach that could challenge her go and a young new coach take her place. We may have just helped USCe become the new UCONN.

ETA: I have not seen any current support from Staley. I thought this was referring to when we hired her. Either way, I'm sure Staley is fine with the current state of MSU ladies basketball.

Cooterpoot
03-19-2021, 09:59 AM
She's another that needed to go. Never understood how she got so much PT. She wasn't good.

HoopsDawg
03-19-2021, 10:01 AM
I don't know who any of these players are but maybe this will help us funnel money in the right direction: Football, Mens basketball, and Baseball.

Homedawg
03-19-2021, 10:10 AM
I don't know who any of these players are but maybe this will help us funnel money in the right direction: Football, Mens basketball, and Baseball.

Would you rather win and lose a whole bunch of money on a sport OR suck and lose a whole bunch? We've been losing lots of money on women's hoops back to the Fanning days. She'd have them staying at the Ritz holding title 9 over our head. Now the losses went to a higher level with Vic because of his salary, but still we arent about to stop funding women's basketball and we are going to keep losing our behinds. Might as well win while we're at it.

HoopsDawg
03-19-2021, 10:34 AM
Would you rather win and lose a whole bunch of money on a sport OR suck and lose a whole bunch? We've been losing lots of money on women's hoops back to the Fanning days. She'd have them staying at the Ritz holding title 9 over our head. Now the losses went to a higher level with Vic because of his salary, but still we arent about to stop funding women's basketball and we are going to keep losing our behinds. Might as well win while we're at it.

I didn't realize those were the only 2 options. I don't care if we win or lose. But let's spend as little as possible. That's hilarious about Sharon taking them to the Ritz.

Cooterpoot
03-19-2021, 10:40 AM
I didn't realize those were the only 2 options. I don't care if we win or lose. But let's spend as little as possible. That's hilarious about Sharon taking them to the Ritz.

We won't even fill positions on our recruiting staff or expanding it. More money isnt solving that. A better AD would. Besides, title 9 has requirements that have to be met. That money isn't going to a men's sport.

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2021, 11:05 AM

We were losing A LOT more due to Vic's salary and the fact that we went to 2 straight Final 4's. If I remember correctly the first one cost the school around 4 million. Again, it's good if they're successful, but don't lose your ass paying a coach 7 figures annually for a sport that loses 7 figures annually. You don't have to go crazy spending either. It's obvious we overpaid Penson. We should've given her 1.2 for 4 with bonuses built in to get it to 500K max. If she succeeds you can renegotiate, but you don't lose your ass if she sucks

HoopsDawg
03-19-2021, 11:22 AM
We were losing A LOT more due to Vic's salary and the fact that we went to 2 straight Final 4's. If I remember correctly the first one cost the school around 4 million. Again, it's good if they're successful, but don't lose your ass paying a coach 7 figures annually for a sport that loses 7 figures annually. You don't have to go crazy spending either. It's obvious we overpaid Penson. We should've given her 1.2 for 4 with bonuses built in to get it to 500K max. If she succeeds you can renegotiate, but you don't lose your ass if she sucks

excellent points.

maroonmania
03-19-2021, 12:17 PM
excellent points.

I don't understand why more schools don't pay a chunk of their compensation to their coaches based on accomplishment in every sport. If I make the same thing in football winning a National Championship as I do when my team misses a bowl game it just seems like something is wrong with that. As far as I know, Leach will make his 5 million/year no matter what kind of product he puts on the football field. But, I guess at least he has a track record. These folks like NMP that have never been a HC at a top level school should have to prove something before getting a high level salary. But every coach should have to prove something on the field to earn some incentive pay. I don't think any school minds paying the going rate or more for a coach that produces even in a sport that doesn't make money.

maroonmania
03-19-2021, 12:26 PM

Well, there are a pretty good amount of eyes on the NCAAW basketball tournament around the country. Its hard to put a price on the publicity gained for the school in snapping UCONN's winning streak and playing for 2 National Titles.

HoopsDawg
03-19-2021, 12:27 PM
I don't understand why more schools don't pay a chunk of their compensation to their coaches based on accomplishment in every sport. If I make the same thing in football winning a National Championship as I do when my team misses a bowl game it just seems like something is wrong with that. As far as I know, Leach will make his 5 million/year no matter what kind of product he puts on the football field. But, I guess at least he has a track record. These folks like NMP that have never been a HC at a top level school should have to prove something before getting a high level salary. But every coach should have to prove something on the field to earn some incentive pay. I don't think any school minds paying the going rate or more for a coach that produces even in a sport that doesn't make money.

We had to pay Leach big bucks to get him. NMP was making 250K a year at ODU so we could have doubled her salary but Cohen went above and beyond that. I guess he was feeling the pressure of his other failed hires so he over paid.

maroonmania
03-19-2021, 12:41 PM
We had to pay Leach big bucks to get him. NMP was making 250K a year at ODU so we could have doubled her salary but Cohen went above and beyond that. I guess he was feeling the pressure of his other failed hires so he over paid.

Its really more the principle of the thing. Heck, take Leach out of it. Maybe he wouldn't have accepted an incentive based contract to make the move from WSU. But look at Mullen, we gave him his first D1 college HC job and a far as I know, he never had anything incentive based in his pay. If he did I was not aware of it.

HoopsDawg
03-19-2021, 12:49 PM
Its really more the principle of the thing. Heck, take Leach out of it. Maybe he wouldn't have accepted an incentive based contract to make the move from WSU. But look at Mullen, we gave him his first D1 college HC job and a far as I know, he never had anything incentive based in his pay. If he did I was not aware of it.

That's the nature of the beast and it doesn't bother me too bad. What bothers me is when we bid against ourselves like we did with NMP and when we paid Rick Ray 1 million a year. Like Ray wouldn't have taken the job for 300K.

Matt3467
03-19-2021, 12:50 PM
Don't know who that is. Thought at first this was a post about Renardo Sidney.

bulldawg28
03-19-2021, 01:01 PM
I would love to see some examples.
I forgot Saban sent out encouragement tweets to Vols nation and Pruitt after his 1st season while he was preparing for the CFP..***

There I didn?t forget the asterisks

Coaches sending encouragement to others happens publicly and behind closed doors. And what is it really about?

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2021, 01:07 PM
Well, there are a pretty good amount of eyes on the NCAAW basketball tournament around the country. Its hard to put a price on the publicity gained for the school in snapping UCONN's winning streak and playing for 2 National Titles.

It's actually very easy. Even after that we still lost money. Publicity doesn't make up the deficit. It is what it is. I'm not sitting here saying cut the sport, I just think we need to be a bit more wise in spending for a non revenue sport. Paying Schaefer what we were was a bit of a stretch for a coach who'd never won a national championship. All the other coaches making what he made had multiple championships.

maroonmania
03-19-2021, 01:38 PM
It's actually very easy. Even after that we still lost money. Publicity doesn't make up the deficit. It is what it is. I'm not sitting here saying cut the sport, I just think we need to be a bit more wise in spending for a non revenue sport. Paying Schaefer what we were was a bit of a stretch for a coach who'd never won a national championship. All the other coaches making what he made had multiple championships.

If it was that easy nobody would ever spend any money on marketing or advertising. You can't judge the impact to the entire school based on what specifically the women's program did or didn't lose financially that year.

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2021, 01:47 PM
If it was that easy nobody would ever spend any money on marketing or advertising. You can't judge the impact to the entire school based on what specifically the women's program did or didn't lose financially that year.

I've never understood why we do it for ANY non revenue sport. It's a money pit. All of that needs to be put towards men's basketball and football. I just really don't know what financial impact that women's basketball has on the school at large. I don't see any student deciding where they want to go based on women's basketball. Now the Left Field Lounge and DWS....that does sway potential students. Beating UCONN was cool, and we got 48 hours of good press. But honestly, a banana had a longer run in the headlines and provided more free publicity than the UCONN win.

WinningIsRelentless
03-19-2021, 02:19 PM
I've never understood why we do it for ANY non revenue sport. It's a money pit. All of that needs to be put towards men's basketball and football. I just really don't know what financial impact that women's basketball has on the school at large. I don't see any student deciding where they want to go based on women's basketball. Now the Left Field Lounge and DWS....that does sway potential students. Beating UCONN was cool, and we got 48 hours of good press. But honestly, a banana had a longer run in the headlines and provided more free publicity than the UCONN win.

Because you would have a Title IX lawsuit so quick your head would spin.

Santiago
03-19-2021, 02:40 PM
Coaches sending encouragement to others happens publicly and behind closed doors. And what is it really about?

Is there an example of public support from one SEC coach to another? If it happens all the time.
Can someone pull up those supporting tweets that Staley used to send to Vic ? ***

RocketDawg
03-19-2021, 05:12 PM

If that's the case, it could be the reason we turned down the NIT - expensive, probably would have lost the first game, and nobody would be watching it anyway. But primarily the expense. It's not been a good year money-wise for the athletic department.