PDA

View Full Version : Rotation set - Kinda surprised

Hambone
03-18-2021, 11:39 AM
https://twitter.com/hailstatebb/status/1372585947133526022?s=21

Most consistent starter is the one that was pulled.

Maybe Cerantolas swan song if Sunday goes bad

KOdawg1
03-18-2021, 11:49 AM
I'd have Fristoe ready to go at the first sign of trouble Sunday. I personally think he's earned that spot, but Cerantola gets one more chance to save it.

HoopsDawg
03-18-2021, 11:53 AM
I'd have Fristoe ready to go at the first sign of trouble Sunday. I personally think he's earned that spot, but Cerantola gets one more chance to save it.

I'd go Fristoe, Brandon Smith, Harding, and Koestler all over Cerantola. But it's the first SEC weekend so I get it. If EC can't get it done, we will move on.

Jack Lambert
03-18-2021, 11:53 AM
We have plenty if they get in trouble.

Commercecomet24
03-18-2021, 11:56 AM
Maybe Cerantolas chance to see what he can do against sec teams. Very short leash I would imagine though. And with the depth we have you can get him out quick and go with fristoe in long relief and go from there

Coach34
03-18-2021, 11:56 AM
I understand the move but I don’t agree with it. Have a quick hook ready. If you don’t get a decent start out of Canadian Bacon- I don’t see how he gets another SEC start.

Commercecomet24
03-18-2021, 11:58 AM
Y'all remember fristoe a true freshman too and we have to mange his innings especially early in the season need him fresh for stretch run.

Commercecomet24
03-18-2021, 11:59 AM
I understand the move but I don’t agree with it. Have a quick hook ready. If you don’t get a decent start out of Canadian Bacon- I don’t see how he gets another SEC start.

I agree with this, I believe this is his shot to see what he can do. May be do or die for him.

The Federalist Engineer
03-18-2021, 11:59 AM
Marathon, not a sprint

We don?t have a single kid with certified War Horse innings- like Pilkington as a junior. I bet we end up using 6 different starters this year for rest, matchups, or hot streaks. Mac, Bednar, EC, Fristoe, B Smith, and Harding are all going to start at some point. We are going to be super fresh in May and June.

I will not be surprised if we get April and May surprise ?opt outs? from marquee players that just want to be drafted high and call it a season. I?m not thinking MSU, I?m thinking Vandy and Florida. Wu Flu, Mercenary Programs, and Modern Culture are gonna make an impact. Why take a Final at Vandy or tolerate torturing whistling, if you can chill in Miami and get drafted.

R2Dawg
03-18-2021, 12:01 PM
I understand the move but I don?t agree with it. Have a quick hook ready. If you don?t get a decent start out of Canadian Bacon- I don?t see how he gets another SEC start.

Yeah, EC is Sunday game too so will depend on games 1-2 how he plays the hook Sunday too. Series on the line, no room for error. 2-0 and hook might go a little longer but not long.

KOdawg1
03-18-2021, 12:04 PM
I also hope C-Mac comes in and attacks the zone. He's been a nibbler so far this year, and he throws 70 pitches through 3 innings which isn't a huge deal with our bullpen, but I'd still like him to go a little deeper.

Rex54
03-18-2021, 12:10 PM

With our bullpen we should always have a quick hook. I'd rather Cerantola go from the beginning and ride the talent as long as it lets us in a game than bring him in for the later more crucial spots.

HoopsDawg
03-18-2021, 12:13 PM
We have plenty if they get in trouble.

Yeah, but we can't afford to spot LSU 2 or 3 runs in the first 2-3 innings.

shoeless joe
03-18-2021, 12:14 PM
Y'all remember fristoe a true freshman too and we have to mange his innings especially early in the season need him fresh for stretch run.

I think him being a freshman is definitely playing into it. Don’t let him sit around and think about a start in Baton Rouge...tell him he’s our first long guy and to be ready. Less time to get into your own head that way. Gonna be a fun interesting weekend.

HoopsDawg
03-18-2021, 12:17 PM
I think him being a freshman is definitely playing into it. Don’t let him sit around and think about a start in Baton Rouge...tell him he’s our first long guy and to be ready. Less time to get into your own head that way. Gonna be a fun interesting weekend.

He's an older freshman. Draft eligible after next season. He's already started vs Texas Tech. I think it just the EC stuff gives him a longer leash and you have to start Bednar on Sat.

Cowbell
03-18-2021, 12:18 PM

Cerantola was better than Fristoe this past weekend

skadoosh14
03-18-2021, 12:24 PM

Definitely disappointed by this. Fristoe 100% earned a starting weekend role. Cerantola did not. I get that he has 1st round potential, but potential doesn't win SEC games.

BuckyIsAB****
03-18-2021, 12:37 PM
We will be fine pitching. Can we score

MaroonFlounder
03-18-2021, 12:39 PM
It's all about the bats.

If we don't get into the LSU bullpen relatively early, it's a 2 outta 3 series loss.

Johnson85
03-18-2021, 12:42 PM
Definitely disappointed by this. Fristoe 100% earned a starting weekend role. Cerantola did not. I get that he has 1st round potential, but potential doesn't win SEC games.

Baseball is the one sport where we can realistically play to win it all. Yes, Cerantola has been shaky so far, but if he figures it out, him starting and Fristoe coming out of the pen versus just Fristoe starting and Cerantola being basically unavailable because we gave up on him in March could be the difference between a championship or a quick CWS or super regional exit. You don't give up on that potential to maximize your chances of winning a Sunday game in the middle of March.

Plus, as Commerce mentioned, Fristoe is a freshman. While starting experience versus lsu would probably be great for his development, there's also something to be said for not pitching him too much too early, so he is still fresh at the end of the year.

MaroonFlounder
03-18-2021, 12:44 PM
If you don’t get a decent start out of Canadian Bacon-

I'm not sure what your deal is with the nicknames, but I hope it burns you again.

How many game-winning hits did "FOAM BAT" have in his career? 2 at least, probably more.

KOdawg1
03-18-2021, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure what your deal is with the nicknames, but I hope it burns you again.

How many game-winning hits did "FOAM BAT" have in his career? 2 at least, probably more.

I don't see how "Canadian Bacon" is derogatory

MaroonFlounder
03-18-2021, 12:52 PM

It may not be.

Would he call him that if he were 3-0 with a 1.25 ERA?

Todd4State
03-18-2021, 12:53 PM
I don't agree with pitching Cerentola in the rotation but it doesn't surprise me. Glad to see Bednar in the rotation though.

KOdawg1
03-18-2021, 01:01 PM
It may not be.

Idk probably.

Coach34
03-18-2021, 01:11 PM

A) Foam Bat wasn’t mine. That was from ISID. I called him Belmont. The guy never hit consistently so there was never any “burning”. Hell- he even got booted his last season and had to coach 1st base after hitting .221 as a Jr

B) nicknames are fun. Hell our own Baseball Twitter will list the line-up by nicknames.

Coach34
03-18-2021, 01:12 PM
It may not be.

Yes- because that is what I nicknamed him

Johnson85
03-18-2021, 02:24 PM

It's derogatory. It takes a perfectly good meat and somehow makes it less desirable, just with a shitty name. Or maybe the name is just there to not besmirch ham's reputation by bringing attention to the fact that it keeps ruining pizzas. After all, it's not ham's fault that ass hats keep insisting on putting it where it doesn't belong. Regardless, nobody with any sense or taste can see canadian bacon as anything but derogatory.

Captain Falcon
03-18-2021, 02:30 PM
I like Fristoe a lot and think he?s our Friday or Saturday starter next year, but I do think it?s possible to overstate what he?s done so far. The Kent State start was awesome, otherwise he?s just been OK. He had what was clearly our weakest of the three starts last weekend.

I understand the issues with Cerentola and that he?s very rarely been reliable as a starter, but I also get that his ceiling is super high and last weekend was the first time all season he?s shown command. Certainly think you have a short leash if it goes south, but he did show some good things last week that, if sustainable, would mean he can be a rotation piece all season.

Dawgtini
03-18-2021, 02:32 PM
Marathon, not a sprint

We don?t have a single kid with certified War Horse innings- like Pilkington as a junior. I bet we end up using 6 different starters this year for rest, matchups, or hot streaks. Mac, Bednar, EC, Fristoe, B Smith, and Harding are all going to start at some point. We are going to be super fresh in May and June.

I will not be surprised if we get April and May surprise ?opt outs? from marquee players that just want to be drafted high and call it a season. I?m not thinking MSU, I?m thinking Vandy and Florida. Wu Flu, Mercenary Programs, and Modern Culture are gonna make an impact. Why take a Final at Vandy or tolerate torturing whistling, if you can chill in Miami and get drafted.

^^^This

StarkVegasSteve
03-18-2021, 02:34 PM
I like Fristoe a lot and think he?s our Friday or Saturday starter next year, but I do think it?s possible to overstate what he?s done so far. The Kent State start was awesome, otherwise he?s just been OK. He had what was clearly our weakest of the three starts last weekend.

I understand the issues with Cerentola and that he?s very rarely been reliable as a starter, but I also get that his ceiling is super high and last weekend was the first time all season he?s shown command. Certainly think you have a short leash if it goes south, but he did show some good things last week that, if sustainable, would mean he can be a rotation piece all season.

If Fristoe has just been "ok" then what would characterize Cerrantola as been? Hell or MacLeod? Fristoe has been our most consistent starter this year.

Cowbell
03-18-2021, 02:41 PM
If Fristoe has just been "ok" then what would characterize Cerrantola as been? Hell or MacLeod? Fristoe has been our most consistent starter this year.
He was not good on Sunday

KOdawg1
03-18-2021, 02:53 PM
He wasn't bad.

Cowbell
03-18-2021, 03:06 PM
He wasn't bad.

He wasn't better than the Canadian

KOdawg1
03-18-2021, 03:09 PM
He wasn't better than the Canadian

He has been in literally every other start this year. It's one game.

BB30
03-18-2021, 03:34 PM
Eh its a smart move. Move your most inconsistent guy to the back and hope to save up the pen for his day. If he gives you 2 innings great, you have enough bullpen to piece the remainder of the game together.

Cerantola will continue to get opportunities because if/when he figures it out he will be very very good. He is the type of arm that if hes on he will go shove it against any lineup in the country. You have to keep giving him opportunities to figure it out.

Pitching will be fine.

BeardoMSU
03-18-2021, 03:39 PM
It's derogatory. It takes a perfectly good meat and somehow makes it less desirable, just with a shitty name. Or maybe the name is just there to not besmirch ham's reputation by bringing attention to the fact that it keeps ruining pizzas. After all, it's not ham's fault that ass hats keep insisting on putting it where it doesn't belong. Regardless, nobody with any sense or taste can see canadian bacon as anything but derogatory.

I prefer my bacon from the belly, not the loin....because I'm a civilized human being.**

Coach34
03-18-2021, 05:07 PM

He gave up 1 run in 4 innings on 3 hits. That’s good. You most likely won’t get that out of Canadian Bacon this Sunday

The Federalist Engineer
03-18-2021, 05:53 PM
The Red Maple Leaf will be just fine. Our issue with LSU is that we put those Pussies on a pedestal

Cerantola wont be rattled by drunk 250 lb grandmothers with arm and neck tattoos. Fristoe and Sims are going to come from the pen and drop bombs too. After Arlington and the Dude, LSU is not special. Even Trustmark is great leveling experience for the boys

The time when we pitched Saturday and Sunday with Walkons and Rudy Ruettigers is past. 2021 is like strolling into LSU with Reed, Jobes, and Chris George. This weekend is a Business Trip.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-18-2021, 05:58 PM
Baseball is the one sport where we can realistically play to win it all. Yes, Cerantola has been shaky so far, but if he figures it out, him starting and Fristoe coming out of the pen versus just Fristoe starting and Cerantola being basically unavailable because we gave up on him in March could be the difference between a championship or a quick CWS or super regional exit. You don't give up on that potential to maximize your chances of winning a Sunday game in the middle of March.

Plus, as Commerce mentioned, Fristoe is a freshman. While starting experience versus lsu would probably be great for his development, there's also something to be said for not pitching him too much too early, so he is still fresh at the end of the year.

Agreed. Lemonis is playing to win it all. He?s hoping to develop Cerantola and Fristoe. We will need them in June. It?s not about one series or one game in March.

KOdawg1
03-18-2021, 06:32 PM
The Red Maple Leaf will be just fine. Our issue with LSU is that we put those Pussies on a pedestal

Cerantola wont be rattled by drunk 250 lb grandmothers with arm and neck tattoos. Fristoe and Sims are going to come from the pen and drop bombs too. After Arlington and the Dude, LSU is not special. Even Trustmark is great leveling experience for the boys

The time when we pitched Saturday and Sunday with Walkons and Rudy Ruettigers is past. 2021 is like strolling into LSU with Reed, Jobes, and Chris George. This weekend is a Business Trip.

One advantage we'll have over LSU is that our guys are more battle tested. We've played 3 top 15 teams and 2 very good non-conference opponents, while LSU hasn't played a top 25 team yet.

The combined record of LSU's opponents is 78-90. The combined record of the teams we've played is 92-72.

Coach34
03-18-2021, 07:09 PM
Agreed. Lemonis is playing to win it all. He?s hoping to develop Cerantola and Fristoe. We will need them in June. It?s not about one series or one game in March.

Nobody disagrees with this and everybody sees the talent of Canadian Bacon. But there comes a point when upside just cant be tolerated anymore when results continue to outperform. You can only run CB out there so many times before getting your future All-SEC Freshman more starts.

We'll see what happens this weekend. If CB has a good outing thats awesome. If he doesnt? Well Lemon has to make a decision and quick

smootness
03-19-2021, 06:56 AM
Once you remove Cerantola from the rotation, that's probably it on him starting. His ceiling is still higher than anyone, which means the team's ceiling is higher with him starting and pitching well. So you keep giving him chances until he's shown you he definitely won't do it. Last week was enough of a bump to give him another chance. Sure, he doesn't have many more. But keeping him in there for at least another is a good move because it gives our team a higher ceiling. I'm sure Lemonis won't keep him there long if he reverts back.

MaroonFlounder
03-19-2021, 07:21 AM
Once you remove Cerantola from the rotation, that's probably it on him starting. His ceiling is still higher than anyone, which means the team's ceiling is higher with him starting and pitching well. So you keep giving him chances until he's shown you he definitely won't do it. Last week was enough of a bump to give him another chance. Sure, he doesn't have many more. But keeping him in there for at least another is a good move because it gives our team a higher ceiling. I'm sure Lemonis won't keep him there long if he reverts back.

If you go back and look, Cerantola has, I think, twice loaded the bases by walk or HBP and then retired the next 3.
As dangerous as it sounds, he may be better coming in with runners on. And seemingly better from the stretch.
Mentally.

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2021, 07:55 AM
If you go back and look, Cerantola has, I think, twice loaded the bases by walk or HBP and then retired the next 3.
As dangerous as it sounds, he may be better coming in with runners on. And seemingly better from the stretch.
Mentally.

I, along with others, have been saying this for two years. I firmly believe that Cerrantola is more valuable to us out of the bullpen. I understand he's got great upside, but he just can't seem to figure out the starting thing. I think he could be a great long relief and spot start guy for us. Now, I could say all this and he could go down to BR and look like Roger Clemens. That's just the unpredictability of him and we're so deep I just don't know if we want to roll with that much unpredictability.

msstate7
03-19-2021, 07:58 AM
Mentally.

After the first walk, wouldn't he have gone to the stretch? After 3 walks, wouldn't he have gone to a full windup? I've watched very little of us so far, so my assumptions could be wrong

WinningIsRelentless
03-19-2021, 08:53 AM
EC has a focus problem at times on the mound. This is what gets him in trouble.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-19-2021, 08:58 AM
Nobody disagrees with this and everybody sees the talent of Canadian Bacon. But there comes a point when upside just cant be tolerated anymore when results continue to outperform. You can only run CB out there so many times before getting your future All-SEC Freshman more starts.

We'll see what happens this weekend. If CB has a good outing thats awesome. If he doesnt? Well Lemon has to make a decision and quick

I totally agree with you. I'm not advocating for running him out there all season with a 6.50 ERA. But there are those on this board that do disagree. They wanted to bench Cerantola after 1 start.

maroonmania
03-19-2021, 12:02 PM
EC has a focus problem at times on the mound. This is what gets him in trouble.

One concern for EC against LSU is that they live and die with the home run. When EC does get hit the ball seems to go a long way. I know he's given up a HR in each of his last 2 starts. Now it doesn't take long to pile up some runs if EC goes walk and hbp followed with a 3 run homer. We don't need to just be gifting LSU with a lot of charity baserunners. You can get by with that a little more in our park than you can in the new Alex Box.

shoeless joe
03-19-2021, 12:03 PM
I totally agree with you. I'm not advocating for running him out there all season with a 6.50 ERA. But there are those on this board that do disagree. They wanted to bench Cerantola after 1 start.

There are also a lot of fans that think the baseball team should never lose and should pull out all the stops every single game. While they won’t admit it they also want to win 2 or 3 in Baton Rouge more than they’d like a series victory over a much better team next week.

This series fits into the whole of the season and what we are trying to accomplish, it is part of the season but does not make or brake our season

Coach34
03-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Well- starting him cost us today. No way you start him next Sunday

BeardoMSU
03-21-2021, 04:33 PM
Well- starting him cost us today. No way you start him next Sunday

Yep. I think that experiment is over.

KOdawg1
03-21-2021, 05:04 PM
Yep. I think that experiment is over.
Thank God. He'll have a pro career, but we just can't keep trotting him out there.

Hambone
03-21-2021, 05:09 PM
So I guess now, does Lemonis swap Cerantola and Harding or put Fristoe back to Sunday???

shoeless joe
03-21-2021, 06:29 PM
He’s a taller Evan Mitchell...unbelievable stuff, has no clue how to make it work in the zone consistently

Homedawg
03-21-2021, 08:30 PM
So I guess now, does Lemonis swap Cerantola and Harding or put Fristoe back to Sunday???

I don't think you can let him start midweek against anyone w a pulse. Those games matter too!! I hate it. But we can't risk it.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-21-2021, 08:40 PM
I was supportive of Lemonis starting Cerantola both last week and today. But he’s had his chances and it’s time for him to work on his issues on the side or during the midweek. I do hope we can develop him and he can help us somewhere in May and June. He makes us so much better if he is effective.

Assuming it’s McLeod and then Bednar, Sunday would have to be Harding, Brandon Smith, or Fristoe. I could live with any of the three. Hopefully McLeod and Bednar can give us 6 or 7 innings, and Sunday we will have plenty of arms.

The COVID waiver and the 5 round draft have helped everyone’s pitching depth. So scoring is going to be an issue for everyone.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-21-2021, 08:42 PM
I don't think you can let him start midweek against anyone w a pulse. Those games matter too!! I hate it. But we can't risk it.

I think you can. If he is on his game, he can give you 5 innings and build some confidence. If not, you can pull him very early and we can still win it.

HoopsDawg
03-21-2021, 08:44 PM
I was supportive of Lemonis starting Cerantola both last week and today. But he’s had his chances and it’s time for him to work on his issues on the side or during the midweek. I do hope we can develop him and he can help us somewhere in May and June. He makes us so much better if he is effective.

Assuming it’s McLeod and then Bednar, Sunday would have to be Harding, Brandon Smith, or Fristoe. I could live with any of the three. Hopefully McLeod and Bednar can give us 6 or 7 innings, and Sunday we will have plenty of arms.

The COVID waiver and the 5 round draft have helped everyone’s pitching depth. So scoring is going to be an issue for everyone.

I think Brandon Smith is too valuable out of the pen. I think you have to go Fristoe or Harding on Sunday. Very tough call, but I think I lean Harding slightly on Sunday with Fristoe and Stinnett behind him.

HoopsDawg
03-21-2021, 08:45 PM
I think you can. If he is on his game, he can give you 5 innings and build some confidence. If not, you can pull him very early and we can still win it.

I'd let him throw bullpens and pitch live to our hitters during the week. And/or let him work out of the pen on a midweek game if we have a big lead. He looked good in the SECT and CWS out of the pen.

Coach34
03-21-2021, 08:54 PM
Fristoe is got to be your Sunday guy. If it was going to be Harding- he would have already been throwing on Sundays.

Our midweeks are pretty weak coming up- I'd get him some starts there and have Harding ready to help on Sundays

HoopsDawg
03-21-2021, 09:37 PM
Fristoe is got to be your Sunday guy. If it was going to be Harding- he would have already been throwing on Sundays.

Our midweeks are pretty weak coming up- I'd get him some starts there and have Harding ready to help on Sundays

Not necessarily true. We had some big midweek games and needed Harding. Harding pitched a great game against USM and UL. Got the job done against Samford. And gave up 0 Earned Runs in his start vs TCU. Also, Lemonis said our guys couldn't hit him in the fall or spring.

Also, the coaches planned on Cerantola being in the weekend rotation so Harding wasn't going to start over Bednar or Mac. Now that Cerantola is going to be removed, that spot is open. I'm fine with Fristoe getting the start on Sundays but we will need Harding to be ready to go as a bridge to Stennett.

The Federalist Engineer
03-22-2021, 12:47 AM
Not necessarily true. We had some big midweek games and needed Harding. Harding pitched a great game against USM and UL. Got the job done against Samford. And gave up 0 Earned Runs in his start vs TCU. Also, Lemonis said our guys couldn't hit him in the fall or spring.

Also, the coaches planned on Cerantola being in the weekend rotation so Harding wasn't going to start over Bednar or Mac. Now that Cerantola is going to be removed, that spot is open. I'm fine with Fristoe getting the start on Sundays but we will need Harding to be ready to go as a bridge to Stennett.

I think you Start Harding - he's 22 years old and has been a flag ship starter in two JC seasons. Already two seasons with 80+ innings.

I think you manage Fristoe (20) along so you still have a preserved freshman in May and June. Today was a big day for him and he kept MSU in the game. Nobody was hitting and no runs were scored, so that's that, not his fault.

All the remaining mid-week starts are EC if we must, but I think Tullar and C Smith need a look. If MSU were a minor league club, it would be required to start EC, even with a 25.00 ERA. But to win games in the next 3 months, that's not MSU's role. But, I think EC would be lights out in Midweek. Optimist I am.

Todd4State
03-22-2021, 06:11 PM
I think you Start Harding - he's 22 years old and has been a flag ship starter in two JC seasons. Already two seasons with 80+ innings.

I think you manage Fristoe (20) along so you still have a preserved freshman in May and June. Today was a big day for him and he kept MSU in the game. Nobody was hitting and no runs were scored, so that's that, not his fault.

All the remaining mid-week starts are EC if we must, but I think Tullar and C Smith need a look. If MSU were a minor league club, it would be required to start EC, even with a 25.00 ERA. But to win games in the next 3 months, that's not MSU's role. But, I think EC would be lights out in Midweek. Optimist I am.

If we were a minor league club Cerentola would be getting demoted.

Hambone
03-22-2021, 06:25 PM
Hell, demoted he would have been traded

Rex54
03-22-2021, 06:45 PM

No he wouldn't.

The Federalist Engineer
03-22-2021, 11:31 PM

Maybe so. I you havent already. Read “ball player” by Chipper Jones. The book is almost too good. Never stops entertaining...one fascinating passage:

Chip was struggling to switch hit. He decided he could help the rookie-ball team win by only hitting right. The rookie-ball manager said “ok”.

Bobby Cox found out, he fired the Manager immediately. Chip felt bad for the manger but learned that development was his job in the minors, they did not care about his stats.

Another snippet ... before the MLB Draft, the head of scouting took Bobby Cox to watch Chip play and the scout was about to point him out. Bobby said, “if he is the best player in America, then you don’t need to point him out”.

PMDawg
03-23-2021, 02:23 PM
I don't trust Cerentola vs. anyone. Not even our weak non-conference games from here on out. If you can't throw strikes, anyone can beat you. All you have to do is stand there and wait for him to walk you. Chances are, he will walk in a run before he gets 3 outs if no batter ever swings at a single pitch. It's kind of pathetic to have made it this far in your career and still not be able to just throw strikes. He's been pitching to live competition for at least 12 or 13 years now. Fundamental #1 - throw it over the plate. I'm not trying to bash the guy, it's just kind of mystifying at this point. It defies logic.

StarkVegasSteve
03-23-2021, 02:40 PM
I don't trust Cerentola vs. anyone. Not even our weak non-conference games from here on out. If you can't throw strikes, anyone can beat you. All you have to do is stand there and wait for him to walk you. Chances are, he will walk in a run before he gets 3 outs if no batter ever swings at a single pitch. It's kind of pathetic to have made it this far in your career and still not be able to just throw strikes. He's been pitching to live competition for at least 12 or 13 years now. Fundamental #1 - throw it over the plate. I'm not trying to bash the guy, it's just kind of mystifying at this point. It defies logic.

Agreed. I just don't think right now he has the mentality to be a starter. No matter if it's conference or non conference. Now that could change and he could prove me wrong, but it's been 3 years and I can count on one hand the number of good starts he's had. I've said since day 1 he's Rick Vaughan before the glasses and everything he's done to this point has proven me right. I hope he figures it out though. That type of velocity is special.

Todd4State
03-23-2021, 02:59 PM
No he wouldn't.

Even though the minors is about development they're not going to let a player fail over and over and over again. You have to perform at some point.

Rex54
03-23-2021, 03:34 PM
Even though the minors is about development they're not going to let a player fail over and over and over again. You have to perform at some point.

They wouldn't demote his upside after a couple of starts. Your statement was factually incorrect.

Todd4State
03-23-2021, 04:55 PM
They wouldn't demote his upside after a couple of starts. Your statement was factually incorrect.

It happens literally every week in the minors. It's relative because college has a much shorter season than the minors. The minors is all about development but again you have to as a player show improvement at some point and show that you're making progress. Cerentola throwing balls to the backstop is not showing progress. They're not going to let a guy just fail over and over without showing improvement. They'll simply promote someone from a lower level that has shown improvement and demote the guy that isn't ready. It's damaging at some point to just keep letting a player fail.

The Federalist Engineer
03-24-2021, 12:29 AM
It happens literally every week in the minors. It's relative because college has a much shorter season than the minors. The minors is all about development but again you have to as a player show improvement at some point and show that you're making progress. Cerentola throwing balls to the backstop is not showing progress. They're not going to let a guy just fail over and over without showing improvement. They'll simply promote someone from a lower level that has shown improvement and demote the guy that isn't ready. It's damaging at some point to just keep letting a player fail.

If we are saying EC is not pitching Sunday as a demotion, I fully agree, Ive been in the Harding camp since Texas Tech last year. Fristoe is SEC ready too, proved it last week. Cade Smith, is also ready by the opinions of cats that know baseball

EC should have been pitching SWAC until he stopped beaning people. Then pitching SEC very situationally with nobody having a book on him. Today, all the SEC teams will tell hitters to dial-in for a straight hard pitch you can mash, otherwise walk.