PDA

View Full Version : Baseball scrimmages

bully99
11-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Not being at the scrimmages every day I'm not sure your can get a full reading on the team,but just looking at the boxscores, you can get an idea about the team. Saw where Lingren gave up 6 earned in 2/3 today.I guess that can be good or bad if our hitters are that good. Everybody is talking about the other catchers,but it seems like Cody Walker is having a really good fall. Also what has happened to Kyle Hann? Seems like he takes an ofer about everytime I look at the boxscores. I know he had a great summer, but looks like he has struggled in the fall.

Lefthandersrule
11-10-2013, 09:38 PM
I saw that too. Don't know what happened.

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 09:48 PM
This is basically like spring training. Lindgren probably just had a bad day for whatever reason- it happens to everyone. I'm not sure what the deal with Hann is- I know Robson had mono and that's somewhat contagious. I'm not sure if Hann got it too or what. He might be just struggling right now.

We're going to play two catchers, so I'm glad we have two that have stepped up.

MsStateBaseball
11-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Hann had a good summer and may have hit a wall. I don't worry about him. I'm very excited about the fall. Lots of players stepped up. Hudson and Fitts had great outings.

bully99
11-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Maybe Todd, I think Hann and Robson are roommates, but I'm sure he was tested and cleared. It's always hard to gage intersquad games because if one side is doing well then the other side is struggling. Is it good pitching or good hitting.

Will James
11-10-2013, 09:59 PM
This is basically like spring training. Lindgren probably just had a bad day for whatever reason- it happens to everyone..

Yeah he pulled a Vandy and hit three batters in a row. He needs to cut that shit out.

Will James
11-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Hann's drawn 12 walks. Balls ain't finding holes for him (.207 BABIP) But he's doing okay. Taking decent at bats obviously.

Will James
11-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Pirtle, Heck, Vickerson, and Walker have stood out to me at the dish.

bully99
11-10-2013, 10:21 PM
You will have to teach this old guy what a BABIP Is.

Will James
11-10-2013, 10:23 PM
You will have to teach this old guy what a BABIP Is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhrXb4Ch37s

engie
11-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Batting average on balls put in play...

Basically, it measures how "lucky" or "unlucky" a hitter is.

A guy hitting .300 with a high BABIP is oftentimes a worse hitter than a guy hitting .250 with a low BABIP -- he's just luckier

Will James
11-10-2013, 10:36 PM
The conference BABIP last year was .310 during SEC play. Now obviously the PA's are limited so that normalization doesn't occur and inflated and deflated BABIP's will occur. However when you see EXTREMELY high or low BABIP's mid-season (above .500 or below .200) it will even out somewhat.

The players should have around 150 plate appearances through Fall and Spring practice so we should have a glimpse of what we have to offer going into the season. The spreadsheet is in full effect.

bully99
11-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Watched video and all I can say is OH MY.

messageboardsuperhero
11-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Trevor Fitts and Dakota Hudson were fantastic today. Lindgren struggled, as he seems to do every once in a while- most days he has it but some days he doesn't. I'd really like to see him be more consistent this spring and not get rattled so easily.

As far as offensively, I love what Britton brings in the field, and it seems like his bat has improved tremendously. You really can't go wrong with any of our MIFs, at least based on what we've seen so far. I also like what we're hearing about Garner and Walker- they're probably our two catchers this year. Of course Jake Vickerson (been talking him up for a while) continues to be outstanding- he and Pirtle are my ideal leadoff guys for us.

Will James
11-10-2013, 11:33 PM
he and Pirtle are my ideal leadoff guys for us.

Could be a solid 1-2 for sure. Detz-Rea-Garner/Walker to follow would be lethal.

I will say Armstrong is coming back to Earth. Kid just K's way too much. Vickerson CT and Robson/Henderson seems like a solid OF. Who plays MIF besides Pirtle is anyone's guess.

messageboardsuperhero
11-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Could be a solid 1-2 for sure. Detz-Rea-Garner/Walker to follow would be lethal.

I will say Armstrong is coming back to Earth. Kid just K's way too much. Vickerson CT and Robson/Henderson seems like a solid OF. Who plays MIF besides Pirtle is anyone's guess.

Based on talking to someone who went to the scrimmages this weekend, CT's been better lately. He's having good ABs, taking balls and swinging at strikes, getting some XBHs, etc. I still think he's a 6-7 hole hitter for us though who plays great defense.

I really like all three of the players competing for the other MIF spot. Those guys will push each other to get better, and the competition will be great for us. I expect all of them to contribute this year.

Todd4State
11-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Based on talking to someone who went to the scrimmages this weekend, CT's been better lately. He's having good ABs, taking balls and swinging at strikes, getting some XBHs, etc. I still think he's a 6-7 hole hitter for us though who plays great defense.

I really like all three of the players competing for the other MIF spot. Those guys will push each other to get better, and the competition will be great for us. I expect all of them to contribute this year.

Actually, CT is hitting pretty close to .400. Yes, he has only one walk (I think)- but if you are not going to walk, at least get a hit. And for the most part he has done that. I have seen some video of him hitting this spring and his stance is different- but it's not as drastic as Craig Counsell (Thank God- I hated his stance) but CT's hands are up a little bit more. That will change the arc of his swing and should allow him to use all fields a little bit better than with his hands low, and it should in theory make him a little bit quicker to the ball because he won't have to bring his hands back to get into a hitting position.

The other thing about CT is he knows he is going to play and is going to start. That allows him to work on some things and try some things out in the scrimmages since he doesn't have to impress anyone with his plate discipline. Kind of like being in the batting cage but in a more structured environment.

All of that is to say don't worry about CT and his lack of walks. At least right now. Personally, I think he will have a really good year.

As far as the MIF- I expect Pirtle to start at second and then Britton and Heck to platoon if I had to guess. Unless Heck or Britton start to hit like Detz did last year and we have to keep one or the other in the lineup.

Coach34
11-12-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm glad to see Britton's nuts finally drop and become the player I thought he would. I argued a good bit with BriantheDawg and Dawg@Auburn about him his Freshman year. Of course, all they could say was that Britton sux and needed to be cut. I told them his day was coming

Coach34
11-12-2013, 08:51 PM
John Cohen said today this is the toughest decisions he's had to make in his 22 years in coaching. What is your opinion on that.

It means he has the most talent he has ever had and it's hard to distinguish who should be gotten rid of.

engie
11-12-2013, 08:57 PM
None of the ones he listed will be cut...

bully99
11-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Just on numbers alone it looks like most cuts will be pitchers.

Homedawg
11-12-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm glad to see Britton's nuts finally drop and become the player I thought he would. I argued a good bit with BriantheDawg and Dawg@Auburn about him his Freshman year. Of course, all they could say was that Britton sux and needed to be cut. I told them his day was coming

Lane said his fr year he had a chance to be a draft. I didn't say a major leaguer but a draft guy. I hope that turns out to be true. He definitely is athletic and has a good arm, and good hands he just needs to translate it to the field in competition. I think he will.

MsStateBaseball
11-12-2013, 10:23 PM
By my count I have 4 cut and 4 being RS. Walk ons can be RS and not go against the 35. So we could have 39 on roster. But a couple will prob transfer to smaller colleges. As the saying goes, just another opportunity to play baseball....

bully99
11-12-2013, 10:39 PM
You may be right. All I'm saying is Carskadon and Swindoll have said they MUST be down to 35 by spring. They said that included red shirts. It wouldn't seem to be that difficult a cut if it was only 4 players.

Todd4State
11-12-2013, 11:34 PM
You may be right. All I'm saying is Carskadon and Swindoll have said they MUST be down to 35 by spring. They said that included red shirts. It wouldn't seem to be that difficult a cut if it was only 4 players.

Unless they changed the rules, they are mistaken. RS walk-ons don't count against the 35.

bully99
11-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Wish I could post a link, but found a website called "informed athlete " and an article about scholarship limits in division 1 baseball. Said you must be down to 35 man roster with 27 on scholly and 8 walkons who receive no money before the first game is played. You can cut a scholly player but it still counts against your limit.

Todd4State
11-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Wish I could post a link, but found a website called "informed athlete " and an article about scholarship limits in division 1 baseball. Said you must be down to 35 man roster with 27 on scholly and 8 walkons who receive no money before the first game is played. You can cut a scholly player but it still counts against your limit.

That is correct. You have to have 27 and they have to receive a certain amount of scholarship money. And you have to have so many walk-ons on your team- and you are right the number is 8. The thing about scholarships that you have to remember is that they are one year deals and I believe they award them at the end of the semester or year. The coach's can change it at their discretion.

But to put it in MLB terms, think of the 35 man roster as like the 40 man roster in MLB. Every team can have no more than 35, but the players that aren't on the 35 man roster aren't necessarily not on the team. You can still be on the team technically but not be on the 35 man roster. And I do believe that if you are not on the 35 man roster there are certain limitations as far as practicing with the team and things like that. Like last year on the MSU web site, we listed 37 players on the team. Of course we had 35 last year on the official roster. And both of the players that were not on the 35 man roster are back this year and redshirted last year- Tony Anello and Wes Stokes.

Gene and Bob are making it sound like it's a hard 35 man roster, but it's not. When that time comes, Cohen and Butch will tell the players what their options are. Some may quit on their own. Some may choose to stay "on the team" and try out again. Some may choose to transfer to a JUCO to work on whatever they need to work on and either come back or get noticed by another college and get a scholarship like Tanner Gaines did with Arkansas State, or some will go somewhere like Delta State especially if JUCO isn't an option because they are too old.