PDA

View Full Version : Five games after the defensive adjustment

paco
03-14-2021, 09:35 AM
K. James moved back to 3B and Forsythe took over at SS on March 7. Since that time, we have outscored our opponents 45-1 and only. one error has been committed. In the five games preceding the defensive move, we had committed 9 errors!

Hats off to the Skipper for making the move. Losing Jordan at 3B creates a big void if Kamren misses any games. Landon did nothing to lose his job. Its unfortunate for him but we now move forward.

Coach34
03-14-2021, 10:44 AM
Pretty sure the staff knew it was going to be an offense vs defense decision. James at SS and Jordan at 3B was an offensive play with James at 3B and Forsythe at SS the more defensive move. James just isnt a SS and is the better player between him and Jordan so it wasnt a hard call to make. It's absolutely made us better defensively- this also gives your pitchers more confidence that they dont have to be as fine on the mound because they know their infield can ball behind them. To me instead of quitting- Jordan should have asked to compete for the LF job and try to get some time that way. Compete- make yourself too valuable not to play. Dont quit.

Only questions remaining with this team is will we be able to score enough to beat Top teams and does Bednar overtake Canadian Bacon as the Saturday guy.

BiscuitEater
03-14-2021, 10:45 AM
Losing Jordan at 3B creates a big void if Kamren misses any games. Landon did nothing to lose his job. Its unfortunate for him but we now move forward.

The team didn't 'lose' Jordan; he walked out on them! No, he didn't do anything to lose his job BUT it was the right move by the coach.

Did think about what he walked away from when the team gathered after the walkoff last night. After all the work, to be any part of that group celebration had to be special!

One day, he will look back and really regret letting his team down.

Saltydog
03-14-2021, 11:09 AM
No doubt we've played better since Forsythe moved into the lineup but if you're Jordan it's got to hurt bad. Look at it from his perspective. He played errorless baseball this season and was hitting over .280. The guy next to you (KJ) can't field his position (albeit a better hitter) so he takes your job and you go to the bench for a freshman who may be an offensive liability. The problem with this team was always going to be offense and LJ is a better hitter than LF. It's rational to see it from his perspective but even said he shouldn't have quit. There were going to be opportunities for him. Just a tough situation. Of course Forsythe has started off hot at the plate thus far but I'm not confident of his ability to hit SEC pitching at all.

tcdog70
03-14-2021, 11:37 AM
So far Forsythe isn’t an offensive liability. He looks to be a plus right now.

trob115
03-14-2021, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we see skinner start this week in the midweek at Cf and move rowdey to Lf

Saltydog
03-14-2021, 11:47 AM
If he's healthy he should start seeing increased time but the problem with Skinner is he's another lefty. We need more righties in the lineup.

maroonmania
03-14-2021, 02:19 PM
Pretty sure the staff knew it was going to be an offense vs defense decision. James at SS and Jordan at 3B was an offensive play with James at 3B and Forsythe at SS the more defensive move. James just isnt a SS and is the better player between him and Jordan so it wasnt a hard call to make. It's absolutely made us better defensively- this also gives your pitchers more confidence that they dont have to be as fine on the mound because they know their infield can ball behind them. To me instead of quitting- Jordan should have asked to compete for the LF job and try to get some time that way. Compete- make yourself too valuable not to play. Dont quit.

Only questions remaining with this team is will we be able to score enough to beat Top teams and does Bednar overtake Canadian Bacon as the Saturday guy.

Even on the infield not sure why he couldn't get a shot at 1st base on occasion. Hatcher is always in danger of a slump. Plus that is a lefty bat for a lefty bat. The other thing that makes it difficult to take James out of the lineup is that we are so starved for decent right handed hitters.

Hot Rock
03-16-2021, 06:36 AM
Bottom line is it?s a weak move to quit on a team mid season. Coaches make decisions all the time about playing time and it can change back. Now, not so much. I do not wish him the best. I do not wish him the worst. I do not care what he does. He can never play again or not. I don?t care. If he comes back to beat us, it does not change his piss poor decision to leave mid season.

preachermatt83
03-16-2021, 03:30 PM
Bottom line is it?s a weak move to quit on a team mid season. Coaches make decisions all the time about playing time and it can change back. Now, not so much. I do not wish him the best. I do not wish him the worst. I do not care what he does. He can never play again or not. I don?t care. If he comes back to beat us, it does not change his piss poor decision to leave mid season.

Accept your rep sir. Outstanding

Todd4State
03-16-2021, 10:51 PM
K. James moved back to 3B and Forsythe took over at SS on March 7. Since that time, we have outscored our opponents 45-1 and only. one error has been committed. In the five games preceding the defensive move, we had committed 9 errors!

Hats off to the Skipper for making the move. Losing Jordan at 3B creates a big void if Kamren misses any games. Landon did nothing to lose his job. Its unfortunate for him but we now move forward.

I'm not sure that Landon Jordan is that much better than Tanner Leggett at this point. Leggett isn't as good a player- I'm not saying that- but he is definitely more versatile and obviously more of a team player. He's better defensively than Jordan too. And don't forget Kellum Clark who I think has a chance to be a big time player for us. If Kam James gets hurt he will get a look at third too.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see skinner start this week in the midweek at Cf and move rowdey to Lf

I think it's going to happen soon. I'm going to guess around week 3 in SEC play if not sooner. We have a couple more midweek games where we can work him in like we did tonight and possibly start him.

If he's healthy he should start seeing increased time but the problem with Skinner is he's another lefty. We need more righties in the lineup.

Yes, but Skinner makes us an ever better team defensively and having a player with his range would be nice if- and I'm looking way ahead here- we get to Omaha. He also adds a lot of speed as we all saw tonight. It would make us a little different team and a little bit more of a small ball type team but having a guy that is a legit 15-20 SB threat would make our offense better. And it would allow us to use Cumbest as a fourth OF option. He's had a nice season so far.

Even on the infield not sure why he couldn't get a shot at 1st base on occasion. Hatcher is always in danger of a slump. Plus that is a lefty bat for a lefty bat. The other thing that makes it difficult to take James out of the lineup is that we are so starved for decent right handed hitters.

He just wasn't willing to be a utility guy is what it comes down to. If he could have done that and played the corner OF spots at an average level he would have made himself and the team better.

BuckyIsAB****
03-17-2021, 07:00 PM
I think the most obvious and concerning question is are we good enough on offense to win the whole thing

Coach34
03-17-2021, 07:23 PM
I think the most obvious and concerning question is are we good enough on offense to win the whole thing

Yep. We shall see. Pitching and defense is solidified now

Bulldog1
03-17-2021, 07:38 PM
Need MacLeod to step up and be the Ace we know he can be.

ScottH
03-18-2021, 01:05 AM
According to a "source extremely close to the situation" expect to see some Kellum sooner rather than later.

Jarius
03-18-2021, 09:03 AM
The team didn't 'lose' Jordan; he walked out on them! No, he didn't do anything to lose his job BUT it was the right move by the coach.

Did think about what he walked away from when the team gathered after the walkoff last night. After all the work, to be any part of that group celebration had to be special!

One day, he will look back and really regret letting his team down.

Quitting on your team in the middle of the year is a bitch move. I don’t care if you aren’t going to get PT. Finish the season and then leave. People that do that sort of thing weren’t raised correctly. Me me me me me me me.