PDA

View Full Version : First spring severe threats on the horizon

starkvegasdawg
03-12-2021, 09:57 PM
The first one is Sunday. It it looks to be a very low end event and mainly confined to NW parts of the state. However, a potentially much more intense system looks to arrive Wednesday. While still several days away this one looks to have the potential to be interesting with all modes of severe weather possible. Jackson NWS is already mentioning it in their graphics and discussions as is Memphis and Birmingham. As of right now Birmingham is using the most ominous language as they're painting some pretty textbook severe parameters to be in place. Still a lot of uncertainty to be ironed out and exact strength and timing still to be determined, but if you have any St Paddy's day plans then be weather aware. As for me, this looks like it may be my first chase day on my birthday. And I'm half Irish. Got to be a good omen, right?

Dawg_Lover
03-12-2021, 11:16 PM
Geez, sure hoping you do not end up chasing in the Desoto County area.
Yikes 😳

STATEBALLIN
03-13-2021, 12:15 AM
Headed for gatlinburg tomorrow from the Florida panhandle. Staying in bham tomorrow night then on to gatlinburg Sunday. Supposed to be coming home Wednesday.

Thoughts?

starkvegasdawg
03-13-2021, 12:29 AM
Headed for gatlinburg tomorrow from the Florida panhandle. Staying in bham tomorrow night then on to gatlinburg Sunday. Supposed to be coming home Wednesday.

Thoughts?

Could be a rough drive home. Timing is still to be determined but early returns are focusing on eastern MS into AL Wednesday afternoon into evening. Just connect the dots from Jackson to Hattiesburg to Birmingham to Montgomery to get a rough idea of the main target area as things look now. Then to be safe I'd expand that border another 50 miles each direction. Now, that area will change between now and then as we get closer to the event and more info becomes available.

STATEBALLIN
03-13-2021, 12:34 AM
Could be a rough drive home. Timing is still to be determined but early returns are focusing on eastern MS into AL Wednesday afternoon into evening. Just connect the dots from Jackson to Hattiesburg to Birmingham to Montgomery to get a rough idea of the main target area as things look now. Then to be safe I'd expand that border another 50 miles each direction. Now, that area will change between now and then as we get closer to the event and more info becomes available.

Right on. I must add that I will be pulling a camper also. I?ll look into extending our stay one more night or come home a day early. Hmm...Will continue to monitor. Thanks!

starkvegasdawg
03-13-2021, 12:46 AM
Here's the latest info. Area has expanded. You're typically looking for values of 65+ for significant tornadoes.

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/MODEL/gfs212/2021031206/CWASPgfs212F138.png

DownwardDawg
03-13-2021, 08:23 AM
Here's the latest info. Area has expanded. You're typically looking for values of 65+ for significant tornadoes.

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/MODEL/gfs212/2021031206/CWASPgfs212F138.png

Edit. I see it now. It wasn't showing on my phone earlier.

DownwardDawg
03-13-2021, 08:24 AM
Flying in from offshore to Houma early Wednesday morning then driving home to Hwy 84 Covington county. What are my chances of getting in?

basedog
03-13-2021, 08:27 AM

Dang starkvegasdawg, you bringing the heat as I am heading to Gatlinburg Wednesday for several days! Stop this madness*

TimberBeast
03-13-2021, 01:48 PM
We?re driving home from Fort Worth to the MS Coast Tuesday afternoon through late night. Do you think we would end up driving through this? We were planning to hit Shreveport probably late afternoon and then South through Alexandria and Baton Rouge.

99jc
03-13-2021, 01:58 PM
if you really want storm action head to texas-oklahoma and kansas..they are forcasting long tracking tornados next 2 days.

starkvegasdawg
03-13-2021, 11:52 PM
While there's still some timing and other differences among the models, I am not seeing anything that dissuades me from believing Wednesday could see a significant severe weather event for MS and AL. I still can't mail down where the worst will set up this far out, so those of you asking about specific locations - I just don't know yet. By tomorrow the storm will be in range of the NAM. It is trying to show significant severe storms approaching the MS River by 7:00am that morning. Some of the other models are holding off until around noon for the storms to get into MS. All of these finer details will work themselves out over the next 24-36 hours, but this could well be a case of storms developing early in the day and not waiting for max heating in the afternoon. The early forecast soundings are showing a very favorable environment for storms to develop and sustain rotating updrafts. This will be conducive for all modes of severe weather including tornadoes...a couple of which could be violent and long tracked.

starkvegasdawg
03-14-2021, 04:33 AM
The SPC has now updated all of MS to an enhanced risk for severe thunderstorms for Wednesday. The ingredients may be starting to come together for a tornado outbreak. They did mention that there is still some location issues with the GFS concentrating the threat into southern TN and the euro placing the threat more into central MS and AL. They have come into better agreement on timing with Wednesday afternoon now looking like when things get serious. Details will continue to be fine tuned, but things are really starting to look serious.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwbePOVWEAARABm?format=jpg&name=900x900

msudawg1200
03-14-2021, 09:24 AM
What about the baseball game on Tuesday? Any chance rain affects it? I'm driving up for my first game since Texas Tech last year which was the last games we played.

K9 Avenger
03-15-2021, 08:34 AM
Bump

starkvegasdawg
03-15-2021, 08:39 AM
What about the baseball game on Tuesday? Any chance rain affects it? I'm driving up for my first game since Texas Tech last year which was the last games we played.

Game on Tuesday should be ok.

starkvegasdawg
03-15-2021, 08:43 AM
Overall threat is still enhanced but has now had a hatched area added for more of north and central MS for higher chances of significant severe weather Wednesday. Nothing has happened to lower the threat for this system. Winds to 70mph, hail to golf ball and probably bigger, and several tornadoes - some possibly long tracked and violent - still look like a good bet. Timing looks to be late morning through the evening. As of right now the worst tornado threat looks to reside along and just south of the warm front as it lifts northward tomorrow.

https://climate.cod.edu/data/text/images/spc/co/day3/severe/spccoday3.severe.latest.png?v=828

Churchill
03-15-2021, 10:00 AM
You going to chase ?

DownwardDawg
03-15-2021, 10:13 AM
Overall threat is still enhanced but has now had a hatched area added for more of north and central MS for higher chances of significant severe weather Wednesday. Nothing has happened to lower the threat for this system. Winds to 70mph, hail to golf ball and probably bigger, and several tornadoes - some possibly long tracked and violent - still look like a good bet. Timing looks to be late morning through the evening. As of right now the worst tornado threat looks to reside along and just south of the warm front as it lifts northward tomorrow.

https://climate.cod.edu/data/text/images/spc/co/day3/severe/spccoday3.severe.latest.png?v=828

Keep us posted brother. This is where I look first.
Still got my fingers crossed for my helicopter flight wednesday morning then my drive up I-55 and across 84 to home.

starkvegasdawg
03-15-2021, 11:13 AM
You going to chase ?

https://media.tenor.com/images/b24a1ccdde1592d048dd9b64ade5a9e6/tenor.gif

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-15-2021, 01:49 PM
With the 4/27/11 system ?

starkvegasdawg
03-15-2021, 02:24 PM
With the 4/27/11 system ?

Nowhere close. That was a generational level event. This is more along the lines of an annual high end event.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-15-2021, 02:39 PM
People were talking about this one with the same kind of hype. Still going to keep my head on a swivel. Thanks again!

Churchill
03-15-2021, 03:12 PM
Not butting in to yall's conversation but there seems to be a lot more hype now ABOUT EVERYTHING than there was 9 years ago. LOL

DownwardDawg
03-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Easter 2020 is my new benchmark.

starkvegasdawg
03-15-2021, 04:12 PM
People were talking about this one with the same kind of hype. Still going to keep my head on a swivel. Thanks again!

The people doing that are either trying to increase clicks by scaring people or just clueless about how bad 4/27/11 was.

Here are the facts as they present themselves now.

This event will probably end up as a moderate risk day from the SPC. The environment is setting up to allow the formation of multiple discrete to semi discrete supercells...some of which will produce tornadoes. A few of those have the potential to be long tracked and violent. Additionally, the strongest storms could also produce hail up to tennis ball size and straight line winds up to 70-80mph.

The 4/27/11 outbreak saw 360 confirmed tornadoes over a three day period with multiple ef-4 and ef-5 ratings. The severe parameters in place that day were all off the charts. Not just one or two parameters...every mother17ing one of them. There was nothing you could point to that said that factor might limit tornado potential that day. It was PlayStation level numbers. This Wednesday is the type event you see a couple times a year in the US. Very similar to this past Sunday in TX. To get something close to similar to 2011 you have to go back to 1974.

That said, this Wednesday is looking very dangerous. The environment is setting to produce dangerous weather. If you go under a warning take it seriously and assume it to be worse case scenario until the storm has passed. There could be multiple rounds of storms so don't let your guard down once a storm or two passes. Don't try to ride out these storms in a mobile home. Plan now on what you will do if a warning is used for your area. If your plan is to take cover in a closet, make sure that closet is cleaned out now. If you know a friend with a storm shelter, offer to bring over a couple pizzas and a two liter of coke and spend the afternoon with them.

RocketDawg
03-15-2021, 04:18 PM
The people doing that are either trying to increase clicks by scaring people or just clueless about how bad 4/27/11 was.

This event will probably end up as a moderate risk day from the SPC. The environment is setting up to allow the formation of multiple discrete to semi discrete supercells...some of which will produce tornadoes. A few of those have the potential to be long tracked and violent. Additionally, the strongest storms could also produce hail up to tennis ball size and straight line winds up to 70-80mph.

The 4/27/11 outbreak saw 360 confirmed tornadoes over a three day period with multiple ef-4 and ef-5 ratings. The severe parameters in place that day were all off the charts. Not just one or two parameters...every mother17ing one of them. There was nothing you could point to that said that factor might limit tornado potential that day. It was PlayStation level numbers. This Wednesday is the type event you see a couple times a year in the US. Very similar to this past Sunday in TX. To get something close to similar to 2011 you have to go back to 1974.

That said, this Wednesday is looking very dangerous. The environment is setting to produce dangerous weather. If you go under a warning take it seriously and assume it to be worse case scenario until the storm has passed. There could be multiple rounds of storms so don't let your guard down once a storm or two passes. Don't try to ride out these storms in a mobile home. Plan now on what you will do if a warning is used for your area. If your plan is to take cover in a closet, make sure that closet is cleaned out now. If you know a friend with a storm shelter, offer to bring over a couple pizzas and a two liter of coke and spend the afternoon with them.

There's a guy on TalkWeather, Fred Gossage, who apparently is a TV meterorologist somewhere (maybe Florence, AL?, but I don't think they have any TV stations based there) who's getting excited about what's going to happen Wednesday. I just checked in there today - haven't been on that site in years and it's changed a lot. There seems to be a bit of chest-beating on that site now.

parabrave
03-15-2021, 06:26 PM
Latest NWS forecast discussion and GFS has most of the severe WX along the I20 corridor up to and not including Rocketdogs house but leaving
TUSK ok. DD you should be ok. Just alot of rain

RocketDawg
03-15-2021, 06:42 PM
Latest NWS forecast discussion and GFS has most of the severe WX along the I20 corridor up to and not including Rocketdogs house but leaving

Yeah, I'm right on the edge of the whole thing, and that's fine with me.

starkvegasdawg
03-15-2021, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm right on the edge of the whole thing, and that's fine with me.

Not sure exactly where you are located, but there have been some signals the threat area could expand further west. The day 2 update overnight will be highly anticipated. Will the area expand? Will it be upgraded to a moderate risk? What will be the tornado threat?

DownwardDawg
03-15-2021, 07:20 PM

Thanks Brother!

DownwardDawg
03-15-2021, 07:34 PM

That was insane. I love to hear you weather dudes talk about it.

RocketDawg
03-15-2021, 07:55 PM
Not sure exactly where you are located, but there have been some signals the threat area could expand further west. The day 2 update overnight will be highly anticipated. Will the area expand? Will it be upgraded to a moderate risk? What will be the tornado threat?

I'm about two miles northeast of the Huntsville airport. I could almost throw a rock and hit the new Trash Pandas stadium, and could walk to the games if going through other peoples yards wasn't frowned upon.

parabrave
03-15-2021, 11:07 PM
I'm about two miles northeast of the Huntsville airport. I could almost throw a rock and hit the new Trash Pandas stadium, and could walk to the games if going through other peoples yards wasn't frowned upon.

Hey if you get a chance go to the games. I got to know a few of the players when Mobile would come to Biloxi.

TUSK
03-15-2021, 11:13 PM

My back deck. come sit on it....

done.

starkvegasdawg
03-16-2021, 06:20 AM
A moderate risk has now been issued for the areas in the Orange shading. Multiple rounds of severe storms could affect the state with the main round starting around noon and then ending about midnight over in alabama. Parameters still favor discrete to semi discrete supercells producing multiple tornadoes. A few of those do have the potential to be long tracked and violent. I'm still not completely settled in where I'm staging but strongly considering being around Greenwood late morning and then just seeing where storms develop. One issue which may make chasing hard is that these storms may be HP (high precipitation) supercells causing the tornadoes to be rain wrapped. They'll also be moving 40-55mph. So if you go under a warning don't go out in your backyard trying to see it. You may not know it's there until it throws your grill though your dining room window and peels your roof off.

https://climate.cod.edu/data/text/images/spc/co/day2/tornado/spccoday2.tornado.latest.png?v=16

parabrave
03-16-2021, 06:42 AM
Well the 98/84 corridor is heating up this morning. So DD and CC need to be on the lookout

DownwardDawg
03-16-2021, 06:51 AM
Well the 98/84 corridor is heating up this morning. So DD and CC need to be on the lookout

Lovely. Thanks for the heads up. Please keep us posted. I start work at 4:45 each morning and work until 9 or 10 every night. I just peek in here from time to time for updates.

parabrave
03-16-2021, 06:58 AM
Lovely. Thanks for the heads up. Please keep us posted. I start work at 4:45 each morning and work until 9 or 10 every night. I just peek in here from time to time for updates.

You're up near Collins right

DownwardDawg
03-16-2021, 07:08 AM
You're up near Collins right

Yea. 5 miles west of Collins on 84. Williamsburg/Lone Star area.

Commercecomet24
03-16-2021, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the heads up! We always seem to be in the shooting gallery here lol. Appreciate all y'alls info!

jgunn
03-16-2021, 09:09 AM
Starkvegasdawg, what are you thinking about Olive Branch area?

starkvegasdawg
03-16-2021, 09:52 AM
Starkvegasdawg, what are you thinking about Olive Branch area?

You're in the area to catch the first round of storms early in the morning as well as the later rounds in the afternoon. Anywhere in the moderate and enhanced risk areas needs to be weather aware tomorrow. At some point I think the moderate risk area will expand to encompass more of west central MS.

DownwardDawg
03-16-2021, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up! We always seem to be in the shooting gallery here lol. Appreciate all y'alls info!

They're talking a lot about Jackson and Huntsville. Just like they were Easter last year........

Commercecomet24
03-16-2021, 11:15 AM
They're talking a lot about Jackson and Huntsville. Just like they were Easter last year........

Yeah I'm not liking the way this is looking.

shoeless joe
03-16-2021, 11:56 AM
I’m down here in the pine belt (southern smith county) for spring break. Tryin to decide between stayin here or heading back the the golden triangle to ride out the storms...looks like this far south is slightly less volatile. An recommendations from those of you in the know?

Commercecomet24
03-16-2021, 12:05 PM
I’m down here in the pine belt (southern smith county) for spring break. Tryin to decide between stayin here or heading back the the golden triangle to ride out the storms...looks like this far south is slightly less volatile. An recommendations from those of you in the know?

Wow, I had no idea Southern Smith county was a spring break destination, ha!

starkvegasdawg
03-16-2021, 12:05 PM

Right now it's all a roll of the dice.

shoeless joe
03-16-2021, 12:17 PM

Ha...I knew I’d prolly get that reaction. Gobblin turkeys and spawning bass have quite a strong draw for me!

Churchill
03-16-2021, 12:33 PM
Is it my imagination or is the forecast kinda deteriorating for central Ms. (Jackson metro area) ?

basedog
03-16-2021, 12:34 PM

Me to, but bring me some of dat sweet watermelon's those peeps grow in Smith County!

starkvegasdawg
03-16-2021, 12:39 PM
The news gets grimmer. The moderate risk area has been expanded and they are contemplating an upgrade to a high risk. Below is from the SPC.

FURTHER EAST ACROSS NORTHEAST LA INTO MS AND AL A MORE CONCERNING
SCENARIO APPEARS POSSIBLE. MOST FORECAST GUIDANCE AGREES THAT A
ROUND OF AFTERNOON THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED. THIS ACTIVITY IS
EXPECTED TO DEVELOP IN WEAKER ASCENT, DRIVEN BY HEATING AND LOW
LEVEL WARM ADVECTION. STRONG 0-3 KM SHEAR NEAR 30-40 KT WILL ALREADY
BE IN PLACE WITH ENLARGED LOW LEVEL HODOGRAPHS EVIDENT. GIVEN WEAKER
FORCING, THIS ACTIVITY WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO REMAIN MORE
DISCRETE AND ANY CELL WILL QUICKLY BECOME A SUPERCELL CAPABLE OF
PRODUCING STRONG TORNADOES. AS A 40-50 KT LOW LEVEL JET INCREASES
AROUND 00-03Z, INTENSE SUPERCELLS ARE EXPECTED TO ADVANCE EASTWARD
ALONG WITH THE COLD FRONT ACROSS MS AND INTO AL OVERNIGHT. THIS WILL
BRING A SECOND ROUND OF SIGNIFICANT SEVERE STORMS CAPABLE OF INTENSE
TORNADOES, LARGE HAIL AND INTENSE DAMAGING WINDS ACROSS MUCH OF
MS/AL. IF THESE TRENDS ARE MAINTAINED, AN UPGRADE TO A HIGH RISK
COULD BE NECESSARY WITH THE INITIAL DAY 1 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK AT 06Z
TONIGHT.

State82
03-16-2021, 12:40 PM
Ha...I knew I’d prolly get that reaction. Gobblin turkeys and spawning bass have quite a strong draw for me!

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Commercecomet24
03-16-2021, 12:58 PM

I hear ya! Good stuff!

mcain31
03-16-2021, 01:01 PM
I appreciate the you guys. I now live in Columbia and work in Hattiesburg. I'm going to tell my wife to batten down the hatches while I'm at work tomorrow

RocketDawg
03-16-2021, 01:03 PM
The news gets grimmer. The moderate risk area has been expanded and they are contemplating an upgrade to a high risk. Below is from the SPC.

FURTHER EAST ACROSS NORTHEAST LA INTO MS AND AL A MORE CONCERNING
SCENARIO APPEARS POSSIBLE. MOST FORECAST GUIDANCE AGREES THAT A
ROUND OF AFTERNOON THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED. THIS ACTIVITY IS
EXPECTED TO DEVELOP IN WEAKER ASCENT, DRIVEN BY HEATING AND LOW
LEVEL WARM ADVECTION. STRONG 0-3 KM SHEAR NEAR 30-40 KT WILL ALREADY
BE IN PLACE WITH ENLARGED LOW LEVEL HODOGRAPHS EVIDENT. GIVEN WEAKER
FORCING, THIS ACTIVITY WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO REMAIN MORE
DISCRETE AND ANY CELL WILL QUICKLY BECOME A SUPERCELL CAPABLE OF
PRODUCING STRONG TORNADOES. AS A 40-50 KT LOW LEVEL JET INCREASES
AROUND 00-03Z, INTENSE SUPERCELLS ARE EXPECTED TO ADVANCE EASTWARD
ALONG WITH THE COLD FRONT ACROSS MS AND INTO AL OVERNIGHT. THIS WILL
BRING A SECOND ROUND OF SIGNIFICANT SEVERE STORMS CAPABLE OF INTENSE
TORNADOES, LARGE HAIL AND INTENSE DAMAGING WINDS ACROSS MUCH OF
MS/AL. IF THESE TRENDS ARE MAINTAINED, AN UPGRADE TO A HIGH RISK
COULD BE NECESSARY WITH THE INITIAL DAY 1 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK AT 06Z
TONIGHT.

Not good at all. When was the last high risk for this area? I know 4/27/11 was, but can't remember since then. Surely there has been one or two since then.

starkvegasdawg
03-16-2021, 01:14 PM
Not good at all. When was the last high risk for this area? I know 4/27/11 was, but can't remember since then. Surely there has been one or two since then.

I think in 2014. Maybe 18.

RocketDawg
03-16-2021, 03:17 PM
This morning, we had a couple of rounds of thunderstorms come through. The first was around 2 a.m., the second around 3:30. Quite noisy and lots of lightning. Ended up getting close to 3" rain. Off and on rain continued through around 10, but since then it's been very pleasant in the lower 60s.

Randolph Dupree
03-16-2021, 05:00 PM
I've got to drive from Jackson to Dallas tomorrow. It's a travel day so I can leave and arrive whatever time suits me. Planning on going straight down I20. Any advice on when to head out? Anyway I can miss this stuff?

Commercecomet24
03-16-2021, 05:48 PM
This morning, we had a couple of rounds of thunderstorms come through. The first was around 2 a.m., the second around 3:30. Quite noisy and lots of lightning. Ended up getting close to 3" rain. Off and on rain continued through around 10, but since then it's been very pleasant in the lower 60s.

It started here in Jones County about 12 last night and it's been pouring and thundering ever since.

William Tecumsah Sherman
03-16-2021, 06:53 PM
SVD and others....thanks for the updates and info. I?ll likely be checking this site tomorrow for weather info. Hail State and stay safe dawgs!

Dawgcap
03-16-2021, 07:02 PM
Keep us updated. I?m always on the road in North Ms. Cover 10-12 counties. I trust Elitedawgs for my weather info. Thanks for all y?all do

starkvegasdawg
03-16-2021, 07:04 PM
Tornado warned storm for copiah, Simpson, and Lawrence counties.