PDA

View Full Version : Do any of yall lose more and more interest in professional sports as you get older?

Bully13
11-10-2013, 08:13 PM
I grew up loving the cowboys and also started liking the saints once I moved to Jackson...I pull for the boys and the saints but I rarely watch NFL...tonight, I guess my heart is a little more with the saints because I think in the end, they'll go deeper into post season than the boys and I don't care for jerry jones.. I've never known anyone who pulls for both and don't really understand the hate the cowboys have for the saints (learned that ever since I moved to ft worth) .. I've always understood the hate non cowboy fans have for the cowboys... kinda like the yankees.. love 'em or hate 'em..

but deep down, just don't give too much of a shit these days... MLB used to be important to me but I never recovered from that strike.. grew up liking the mets because of the jackson mets for so long; even went to game 7 in '86... by the time the subway series came around, I couldn't even get that excited about it..

oh well... I guess age does things...still just as passionate about my Bullies though..

Jdawg
11-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Yes, to an extent but once I see a kid I followed in college that was an SEC great move on to a team I kinda liked anyway I usually will watch that team. This only applies to football, I don't care for pro baseball or basketball. I just prefer the college games in those sports.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I enjoy the parity of pro-sports and how teams that do things correctly, win. In college sports, all the cheating in recruiting and NCAA BS has taken away from what should be great competition.

Coach34
11-10-2013, 08:22 PM
yep

I havent watched a full MLB game in 2 years
I only keep up with the NFL for FF and betting
I dont watch the NBA until playoff time

Will James
11-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Always been a MLB fanatic and that has grown even more with competitive fantasy baseball

NFL interest has dropped off the map. Don't watch anymore till the Super Bowl. Same with NBA but never really big into that.

State basketball interest faded with Stands and now is rock bottom.

Bulldog baseball obviously a constant that is off the charts interest level now.

With the atmosphere going to hell and the games so predictable my enjoyment of State football has dropped significantly. The sport just isn't as fun anymore and we do everything to Meh it up. Still make the games but when the drive becomes a few hours long soon the couch and TV will be pretty enticing if the atmosphere and gameplay remain the same.

Quaoarsking
11-10-2013, 08:32 PM
The opposite -- as I've grown older and more jaded I am turned off by the structural inequity and futility of SEC football and gravitate more and more toward the more egalitarian NFL.

There's no chance I'll ever stop liking or watching MSU, but it would be healthy for me to pivot some of my emotion away to the Saints.

Maroonthirteen
11-10-2013, 08:41 PM
The opposite -- as I've grown older and more jaded I am turned off by the structural inequity and futility of SEC football and gravitate more and more toward the more egalitarian NFL.

There's no chance I'll ever stop liking or watching MSU, but it would be healthy for me to pivot some of my emotion away to the Saints.

What this guy said. My thoughts exactly. Except I'm a Cowboys fan.

maroonmania
11-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Yes, I'm the same way. I basically only watch professional sports during playoff time and for the NBA only watch the Finals. Will watch the Saints from time to time but certainly don't make a point of it.

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm still very interested in MLB. I go to games in St. Louis at least once a year and I always have a great time. It really helps that they are good and have been either very competitive or they had the Mark McGwire show going on every year other than 1990; 1993-1995. Also, when they have lost a player like a McGwire or a Pujols, they have done a really could job of re-inventing the team so it's not like the 1997 Florida Marlins where they brought in a lot of talent and then they completely blew the team up.

If you are interested in baseball, MLB is the best and I enjoy keeping up with the new trends and etc.

hells bells
11-10-2013, 08:54 PM
I grew up loving the cowboys and also started liking the saints once I moved to Jackson...I pull for the boys and the saints but I rarely watch NFL...tonight, I guess my heart is a little more with the saints because I think in the end, they'll go deeper into post season than the boys and I don't care for jerry jones.. I've never known anyone who pulls for both and don't really understand the hate the cowboys have for the saints (learned that ever since I moved to ft worth) .. I've always understood the hate non cowboy fans have for the cowboys... kinda like the yankees.. love 'em or hate 'em..

but deep down, just don't give too much of a shit these days... MLB used to be important to me but I never recovered from that strike.. grew up liking the mets because of the jackson mets for so long; even went to game 7 in '86... by the time the subway series came around, I couldn't even get that excited about it..

oh well... I guess age does things...still just as passionate about my Bullies though..

I would rather spend a Sunday afternnon much like today. My ten year killed her first deer. That is priceless.

Will James
11-10-2013, 08:55 PM
If you are interested in baseball, MLB is the best and I enjoy keeping up with the new trends and etc.

Yep and you get it EVERY DAY for 7 months! Except for those lost days around the All Star break when you have to figure out a new hobby or get caught up on work.

bully99
11-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Yes, but for me it's all sports,except for State. I think for one is the saturation of sports on TV. It's seems like you never know when one game ends and the next begins. It's nonstop. I grew up in an era where sporting events on TV were rare and special. It was something you always looked forward to. Today they just run together.

starkvegasdawg
11-10-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm a falcons fan so not sure you can say I follow a pro team this year.

cheewgumm
11-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I think I'm the opposite.

I watch more of all the pro stuff. Maybe it's because I do a lot more sitting around. Time that used to be spent drinking .

Apoplectic
11-10-2013, 09:54 PM
I go out of my way to avoid pro sports and that includes the talking heads talking about it. It pisses me off that i have to pay more for beer because Thuggard Jackson signed a billion dollar contract.

Drugdog
11-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Like Cowboys, hate Saints, Watching Walking Dead

TDawg52
11-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Nope.... Too many overpaid pussies in the NFL, MLB & NBA....

corona con lima
11-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Would not walk across the street to watch a pro game will travel 1500 miles to watch a college game, any sport.

preachermatt83
11-10-2013, 10:05 PM
I cant remember the last time I watched a full pro sports game. I watch NBA Finals in peices every year and keep up with NFL in the playoffs but that's it. I have gotten to where I loathe MLB. When I was a kid I loved the braves and the cowboys and I hated the Pirates and the Saints.... now I really don't care either way but I LOVE NCAA football, baseball, and basketball... There is no greater sport in the world in my opinion than NCAA Football...

oldjoedawg
11-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm 73 and have been a Braves fan since a kid, so still follow them all the time.....now less interested in pro teams of other sports, but look for games where MSU players are involved.

College football is another matter...Saturdays always have two VCRs and small TVs recording games to watch later in week, plus watching one on large screen with the DVR going also...being retired has its benefits....

LeakyD
11-10-2013, 10:19 PM
I grew up on the coast and never went to any college games until the mid eighties. Although I was a State fan, I probably watched almost every out of every Braves game. I could tell you the lineup for every NL team back then.

I'm almost exclusively a State fan now. I still like the Cowboys and play fantasy fb. DD Lewis was the reason I started rooting for the Cowboys.

Dawgface
11-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Absolutely. Growing up I loved the NBA. My interest pretty much died when Larry Bird retired, although I did watch MJ and the Bulls until he retired. NFL same thing. Loved the old Packer vs Colts games as a kid and the Jets too when Namath came along. But hardly watch any now. I do watch the Saints a little but it is basically back ground noise while I'm on the computer. Never have been a big baseball fan although I watched a little when I was kiddie. I did watch a couple of games of this years series at a local pub with a few buddies. But that was more of a social thing.

Bully13
11-10-2013, 11:06 PM
well that was pretty cool...Cam just recovered an onside kick for the boys...al michaels acknowledged "rookie out of Mississippi State"....cool

Behrdawg
11-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Im the same way. I watch the Saints every time they are on. I do not watch any other NFL games besides flipping around checking scores. I do not like the NBA. I couldn't even begin to tell you who plays for what team and I briefly watch the Braves when they are on.

College football is all day on Saturday for me.

ScoobaDawg
11-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Growing up in MS/AL i had no interest in any pro sports really. Once i got into college and starting hanging out in LFL college baseball jumped up with my love of MSU Football and basketball. The family that owned the rig i sat in was Paps foster family at state so I started following him and fell in love with the whole Boston Red Sox team and have been hooked even though he left.
NFL i could still care less about but have to pay some attention to now that I live in fort worth and NFL is all the corporate people care about that I work with and run pools and such.
Call me a cowboy hater if you will but its entertaining watching the chaos under jerry.

I'll admit i pay a little more attention to the saints since the super bowl win.

I wouldnt go to a NBA game if you gave me a ticket across the street. only been to 1 game when houston played memphis with Yuo Ming prior to the Croom Bowl game.

bobcat91
11-10-2013, 11:14 PM
I'm okay with the NFL and MLB, but wish the NBA would go away. I loved watching Magic, Bird, Jordan and the great rivalries of the 80's and 90's, but it is a mess today. There is to many clear outs, one on ones, no team play and refs that would shame the WWE. The faces of the sport are completely unlikable, selfish pricks.

messageboardsuperhero
11-10-2013, 11:38 PM
State baseball has always been a constant for me throughout my life- that's why 2008-2010 were so damn painful. Really the pain started when Polk was hired back, but around mid-season of 2010 was the closest I've ever been to feeling "apathetic" toward MSU baseball. Now my interest is as high as ever. I'm also more into MLB than ever, thanks to the MLB Network. I'll never go back to ESPN.

I grew up loving MSU basketball, but I've really been apathetic towards it since the fight in Hawaii/last couple of Stans years. I do really hope Ray gets it turned around though. I miss the days of the early-mid 00s with Zimmerman, Bowers, Austin, Roberts, Frazier, Hank Flick on the PA, etc. There's so much nostalgia in that for me. I really couldn't give two shits about the NBA though.

The football atmosphere went from terrible in '08, to awesome in '10, and now it's just downright lame. Way too much manufacture BS, terrible use of the jumbotron, not enough time for the band to play between possessions, etc. The NFL isn't all that big to me, but I guess it's better than the NBA.

Maroonthirteen
11-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Figures I respond to this thread saying the NFL is becoming more interesting to me because of parity. Then the Cowboys get rolled like anyone vs Alabama.

Political Hack
11-11-2013, 07:54 AM
College Football
Basketball Tournament
CWS/Regionals/Super Reg
LLWS

... and the Saints. That's about it for me.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Texans are back to sucking so I dont pay much attention to the NFL. Love watching MLB no matter who is playing. NBA, only watch the Grizzlies. I have gotten into watching the NHL. College football has become terrible.

Will James
11-11-2013, 08:42 AM
College football has become terrible.

Its headed that way for sure. All football.

BulldogBear
11-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Yep. I care about he Saints and how players from Mississippi do, but haven't ever watched an entire NBA game nor do I any longer care about MLB. Thank the '94 baseball strike for that. I have sympathy for players from a business point of view but increasingly it is hard for me to relate to overpaid professional athletes very much. They do not begin to live in the same world we do. So, I'm apathetic to their or their owner's plights in any drama. College Sports has always been better. It's the atmosphere, the culture, the periphery (is that spelled right?). Any college sport is a superior product (still) than it's canned pro counterpart.

was21
11-11-2013, 10:04 AM
I couldn't care less about professional sports. I will have the Saints game on television or radio, but only keep up with the score for the most part. Ironically, I will also keep up with the Giants and Broncos but just out of a strange curiosity. I refuse to watch a professional baseball game or professional basketball game (least of all.)

DownwardDawg
11-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't like any professional sports at all anymore. I'll watch a little NFL if it's a big game but that's about it. I would watch Colgate vs Furman before I watch an NFL game. I like college basketball but despise the NBA. I love cellege baseball but haven't watched a MLB game in years.

drunkernhelldawg
11-11-2013, 10:56 AM
I like Mississippi State and the whole NFL. I have to choose, and I choose Sunday.

drunkernhelldawg
11-11-2013, 11:12 AM
yep

I havent watched a full MLB game in 2 years
I only keep up with the NFL for FF and betting
I dont watch the NBA until playoff time

You are a good analyst of the football field. I'm surprised you're not more into athletic intensity and high level of play in the NFL.

BulldogBear
11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't like any professional sports at all anymore. I'll watch a little NFL if it's a big game but that's about it. I would watch Colgate vs Furman before I watch an NFL game. I like college basketball but despise the NBA. I love cellege baseball but haven't watched a MLB game in years.

Personally I use Millsaps v. MC in my examples