PDA

View Full Version : Is Dak the most talented QB to play for a Mississippi school since Eli Manning?

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Me and a buddy were discussing this, and I think it's a legitimate question. Talking about talent, not accomplishments.

Russell
Relf
Connor
Henig
Rutland
Carroll
Spurlock
Wallace
Brunnetti
Masoli
Lane
Snead
Lee
Austin Davis

Who am I missing?

Jack Lambert
11-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Lee.

geotop
11-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Dak is the next JFF

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Lee.

Thanks

msstate7
11-10-2013, 08:12 PM
If dak improves his accuracy this offseason, he could be the best qb in the sec next season.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Austin Davis needs to be added

Coach34
11-10-2013, 08:23 PM
It's not even close

He'll be the best that's ever worn Maroon and White if he can stay healthy

It_Could_Happen
11-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Dylan Favre

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Dylan Favre

uh no, only starters

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 08:36 PM
I think Elijah Staley will eventually be even better than Dak. Now, I'm not saying he will start over Dak as a true freshman or anything typical MSU Internet fan like that- but his skill set is off the charts and when his time comes, he is going to be a beast. A guy that is 6'7" and can run with a rocket launcher for an arm, plus he participated in Elite 11, which I don't believe we have ever had a recruit at MSU do before. Staley reminds me a lot of Cam Newton as far as his athletic ability.

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Dylan Favre

The good thing about Dylan was there were so many MSU fans that wanted to argue about his height, it actually made me start to wonder if I really was taller than 6'0" tall.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 08:39 PM
I think Elijah Staley will eventually be even better than Dak. Now, I'm not saying he will start over Dak as a true freshman or anything typical MSU Internet fan like that- but his skill set is off the charts and when his time comes, he is going to be a beast. A guy that is 6'7" and can run with a rocket launcher for an arm, plus he participated in Elite 11, which I don't believe we have ever had a recruit at MSU do before. Staley reminds me a lot of Cam Newton as far as his athletic ability.

Whoever is the coach next year sure has a workable piece of clay to mold.

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 08:42 PM
If dak improves his accuracy this offseason, he could be the best qb in the sec next season.

I think the Tebow comparisons that the announcers make are actually pretty close. He doesn't run quite as well as Tebow- but who does? His ball looks better coming out of his hand than Tebow- but the difference is Tebow had guys like Aaron Hernandez making all kinds of crazy circus catches which drove Tebow's completion percentage up whereas Dak has Joe Morrow.

Coach34
11-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Whoever is the coach next year sure has a workable piece of clay to mold.

Unless we get rid of Mullen and he decides to go somewhere else

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I think the Tebow comparisons that the announcers make are actually pretty close. He doesn't run quite as well as Tebow- but who does? His ball looks better coming out of his hand than Tebow- but the difference is Tebow had guys like Aaron Hernandez, making all kinds of crazy circus catches which drove Tebow's completion percentage up whereas Dak has Joe Morrow.

and Percy Harvin, Riley Cooper, and David Nelson

Between Bear, RoJo, Jameon, Ross, Brown, Morrow, Jesse Jackson, Graham, and Holloway, Dak should have possibly the most talented group of receivers in MSU history to throw to. None of these guys are as good as Moulds, but, as a group, they could be the best we have had.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 08:49 PM

Come on coach, really? You know I am still on the fence. Don't bring this unsubstantiated fear into the equation.

Coach34
11-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Come on coach, really? You know I am still on the fence. Don't bring this unsubstantiated fear into the equation.

I'm not sure if it is or not- but to act like it wouldnt be possible would be ridiculous

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 08:58 PM
and Percy Harvin, Riley Cooper, and David Nelson

Between Bear, RoJo, Jameon, Ross, Brown, Morrow, Jesse Jackson, Graham, and Holloway, Dak should have possibly the most talented group of receivers in MSU history to throw to. None of these guys are as good as Moulds, but, as a group, they could be the best we have had.

I know this may be sacrilege but I think Bear is every bit as good as Moulds. The guy is a freshman and catches everything. If he played HS football as a junior, he would have been a 4 star guy. Easy. The only thing that stops him is us keeping him on the bench. The biggest difference between Moulds and Bear is Moulds was an awesome kick return guy. Bear's TD against LSU and the one where he ran a fade against A&M were awesome.

Bass Chaser
11-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Brett Favre
Steve McNair

TheRef
11-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Brett Favre
Steve McNair

Since Eli........

M.Fillmore
11-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Austin Davis is not getting the respect he deserves in this thread. The cat could/can play and win.

****We also aren't giving the proper respect to (Insert current UM QB here) Heisman Trophy campaign du jour.****

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Austin Davis is not getting the respect he deserves in this thread. The cat could/can play and win.

I agree, Austin Davis isn't getting the proper respect he should, but I honestly don't know how talented the guy was. He did win, but won against inferior competition, and is he really more talented than Dak?

Closest competitor for sure.

Dawg61
11-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Dylan Favre

If we're talking eyebrows Dylan Favre wins

The Lord Humongous
11-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Tyler Russell is the most talented. He plays in the wrong offense. He'll have the longest pro career.
Austin Davis is number 2. He's in the league. His college career was exemplary.

It's a tossup after that. Not nearly a big enough sample size for Prescott to even vault him over Relf yet. Passing is dubious so far but still lots of potential to do great things. What Wallace did last year with an arm barely attached and is doing now while he regains arm strength makes me think he could finish up with a pretty special year next year. Snead looked so good his first year. Crazy how that post-Oher offensive line just blew him up. Nuke LaLoosh 10 cent head.

preachermatt83
11-10-2013, 10:09 PM

now see...this is what we have been talking about, you guys antagonize us and bait us into this stuff.. nothing was even mentioned about mullen/hud etc....

msstate7
11-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Tyler Russell is the most talented. He plays in the wrong offense. He'll have the longest pro career.

It's a tossup after that. Not nearly a big enough sample size for Prescott to even vault him over Relf yet. Passing is dubious so far but still lots of potential to do great things. What Wallace did last year with an arm barely attached and is doing now while he regains arm strength makes me think he could finish up with a pretty special year next year. Snead looked so good his first year. Crazy how that post-Oher offensive line just blew him up. Nuke LaLoosh 10 cent head.

Mike Wallace was a huge loss for Snead also. Wallace was too fast for anybody to cover

msstate7
11-10-2013, 10:37 PM

Wallace is a great qb for OM, but dak is way more talented. If dak gets as much out of his talent as Bo does, we'll have one hell of a qb

stxdawg
11-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Dak has a good shot of becoming the next Cam Newton in college football. He is still pretty raw at this point, but he easily has the skills and potential to be the best QB any school in the SEC has ever seen. Right now I put him up there with Relf, and he is most definitely better than any QB that has played for the bears except for maybe the Mannings. I give a lot of credit to Dan for finding Dak when a lot of others schools were chasing stars.

msstate7
11-10-2013, 11:14 PM
And remember dak was recovering during offseason. I really feel that him working as 1st team qb during the offseason with our young wr's that dak is gonna explode next season.

ScoobaDawg
11-10-2013, 11:22 PM

Tyler will never have any kind of pro career.

preachermatt83
11-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Tyler will never have any kind of pro career.

agreed.. He will never play in an NFL game.

Bothrops
11-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Best overall since, yes. Tyler is arguably the best passer from the state.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 11:59 PM

There are some things that Tyler does better than Dak, but, overall, Dak is much more talented than Tyler.

FlabLoser
11-11-2013, 12:12 AM
In Mullen's offense I'd take Dak over Eli Manning.

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2013, 12:24 AM
In Mullen's offense I'd take Dak over Eli Manning.

Totally agree, but for the purposes of this debate to hold any credibility, we simply can't say Dak is more talented than Eli.

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Cam Newton has exceptional passing skills. Dak is closer to Tebow in the passing department. It's more realistic that Dak could be the next Tebow. The announcers were even calling him that and I can see why. Dak is a very physical runner just like Tebow. If Dak had started cheering after each run he would of been an exact clone throwing right-handed.

msstate7
11-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Cam Newton has exceptional passing skills. Dak is closer to Tebow in the passing department. It's more realistic that Dak could be the next Tebow. The announcers were even calling him that and I can see why. Dak is a very physical runner just like Tebow. If Dak had started cheering after each run he would of been an exact clone throwing right-handed.

He reminds me of Braxton miller.

Todd4State
11-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Dak has a good shot of becoming the next Cam Newton in college football. He is still pretty raw at this point, but he easily has the skills and potential to be the best QB any school in the SEC has ever seen. Right now I put him up there with Relf, and he is most definitely better than any QB that has played for the bears except for maybe the Mannings. I give a lot of credit to Dan for finding Dak when a lot of others schools were chasing stars.

I hate to say this, but Dak is going to have to win some significant games to get that kind of praise. Think like 10-12 win season. He'll have a chance to do that over the next two years, but until then- let's pump the breaks a little bit.

msstate7
11-11-2013, 01:09 AM
I hate to say this, but Dak is going to have to win some significant games to get that kind of praise. Think like 10-12 win season. He'll have a chance to do that over the next two years, but until then- let's pump the breaks a little bit.

A good start would be saban going to Austin

Todd4State
11-11-2013, 01:11 AM
A good start would be saban going to Austin

This week? Absolutely!