PDA

View Full Version : What's the rumor about Landon Jordan

Cowbell
03-11-2021, 11:47 PM
Supposedly leaving the team?

Captain Falcon
03-12-2021, 12:34 AM
Apparently he?s mad about playing time. Which is odd to me because he started as recently as Saturday and had pinch hit roles on Sunday and Tuesday. That said, I have gotten the sense that the coaches are beginning to prefer Forsythe at short and Janes at third and Landon is having his role reduced in spite of not really doing anything to lose his job. So I get the frustration, but at the same time it?s hard to argue with results so far since we?ve changed things up.

Todd4State
03-12-2021, 02:11 AM
Apparently he?s mad about playing time. Which is odd to me because he started as recently as Saturday and had pinch hit roles on Sunday and Tuesday. That said, I have gotten the sense that the coaches are beginning to prefer Forsythe at short and Janes at third and Landon is having his role reduced in spite of not really doing anything to lose his job. So I get the frustration, but at the same time it?s hard to argue with results so far since we?ve changed things up.

Yep. Landon makes us better offensively. Forsyth makes us better defensively.

The only avenue I can see Landon Jordan getting into the lineup would be for him to play left field. And I say that having no idea if he can do that.

The Federalist Engineer
03-12-2021, 02:18 AM

He's been solid, i hope this is just a rumor. 100% fielding percentage. 3rd highest BA. Statistically outplaying (offensively) Scotty Dubrule.

But this team is so loaded, even into next year. There is also Kellum Clark, Davis Meche, and a Switch Hitter named Shane Lewis in the lineup.

Next year we add two Big power bats to the 3b/1b mix (Aaron Downs and Shane Alford)

99jc
03-12-2021, 06:57 AM
He has a mechanically sound swing I thought he would be all SEC before he left unfortunately he never progressed to that level. maybe there is till time. Nothing Lemonis can do you cant always placate a player.

BiscuitEater
03-12-2021, 07:06 AM
Forsythe Is hitting .444, albeit, fewer ABs

maroonmania
03-12-2021, 07:39 AM
Yea, kind of hate it for LJordan because the issue is really nothing he has done but rather James' inability to play SS dependably. But, we need to have KJ in the lineup because he is one of our few bats with some power and has shown himself to be a reliable 3rd baseman. Jordan is a pretty decent hitter, currently at .281, but he is going to be primarily a singles guy with really no HR ability.

MsStateBaseball
03-12-2021, 08:01 AM
He?s thinking about it. Told the coaches. It?s a continuous communication so it?s not over.

maroonmania
03-12-2021, 08:05 AM
He?s thinking about it. Told the coaches. It?s a continuous communication so it?s not over.

So he needs a guarantee of starting to remain on the team? Not a good situation.

Cowbell
03-12-2021, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the info guys

msstate7
03-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Why would you quit midseason? That's weak as hell

Cowbell
03-12-2021, 09:06 AM

Participation trophies

Johnson85
03-12-2021, 09:12 AM

Yea, that's not good. I get the frustration. You come out of high school all everything and can't quite get regular playing time despite being solid. Right when he's getting over the hump he gets benched because another player can't handle the defensive position you don't play. You only get so many years to play, so definitely transfer for playing time unless you just love being at MSU. But bringing this up in March is pointless. He's still going to get some playing time or ABs throughout the season. If he quits the team now he just completely forfeits a good chunk of one of his years of eligibility.

I suspect his family will keep him from doing anything pointless like that. Guessing it's just frustration getting to him and I would be really surprised if he didn't finish out the year.

Saltydog
03-12-2021, 09:15 AM
Landon has been good defensively so far this year at 3B loses and his job because KJ has been horrible defensively at short. I can certainly understand the frustration. Plus, I think he'll hit more than LF.

Homedawg
03-12-2021, 10:04 AM
Landon has been good defensively so far this year at 3B loses and his job because KJ has been horrible defensively at short. I can certainly understand the frustration. Plus, I think he'll hit more than LF.

He's not an OF. He's limited at third, although he has improved a ton. We need him against big time RHP, i.e. rocker, etc. But, now that he's mentioned he's taking his toys and going home, as much as it hurts our team, potentially, I'd let him walk. Puts Lemonis in a terrible spot. Just think, if Lem wants to start him against a RHP, which was going to happen again at some point, people are going to say the only reason he's playing is bc he threatened to quit. This limits our moves we can make w pinch hitting and RHP. It sucks, and I hate quitters.

KOdawg1
03-12-2021, 10:37 AM
I think you just have to let him walk at this point. Once you go down that road there's no coming back. He'll be a good player at USM or wherever he goes.

Coach34
03-12-2021, 10:40 AM
Frustration is easy to understand but James has to play. Thats hard to take for a player. He should get to work and embrace the DH spot this season. Be ready is case of injury. Move on after the season.

Coach34
03-12-2021, 10:42 AM
I think you just have to let him walk at this point.

As a coach- you salvage it if you can. What if you let him walk and Forsythe breaks his ankle Sunday?

KOdawg1
03-12-2021, 10:49 AM
Frustration is easy to understand but James has to play. Thats hard to take for a player. He should get to work and embrace the DH spot this season. Be ready is case of injury. Move on after the season.

He won't DH with Hancock in the lineup. He might could get mop up ABs on days you give LoTan days off and Hancock catches.

WinningIsRelentless
03-12-2021, 10:51 AM
That play y?all are all getting pissed off about KJ last Saturday was 100% on Landon Jordan. The coaches even told him so. He has to charge the ball and be aggressive at 3rd. He hasn?t shown to be aggressive enough to play the hot corner.

KOdawg1
03-12-2021, 10:54 AM
As a coach- you salvage it if you can. What if you let him walk and Forsythe breaks his ankle Sunday?

I mean that's a good point, and you can try to talk him into staying this year, but you have to let it be known that his role isn't going to change just bc he threatened to leave. That's how you lose other players. So if we can talk him into staying then I wouldn't be completely opposed.

Coach34
03-12-2021, 11:22 AM
I mean that's a good point, and you can try to talk him into staying this year, but you have to let it be known that his role isn't going to change just bc he threatened to leave. That's how you lose other players. So if we can talk him into staying then I wouldn't be completely opposed.

Well thats obvious. You talk him into accepting the role. Thats it

The Federalist Engineer
03-12-2021, 11:24 AM
It’s little things that can make men angry at any age. Prolly watching Leggett go 0-4 vs a Grambling RHP was not pleasant and Leggett failed to hustle (Polk said) on two double plays.

He’s still in the mix. We haven’t gotten to SEC play where things can change as the competition level escalates. That’s were the Great Brett Pritle became a legend.

KOdawg1
03-12-2021, 11:27 AM
Well thats obvious. You talk him into accepting the role. Thats it

He's got a few teammates trying to talk him into staying so we'll see what happens.

IngomarDawg
03-12-2021, 11:37 AM
Just a fan suggestion here, but if we haven't found the consistent LF that we want to play, could we potentially put Hancock in LF then DH Landon Jordan? I don't know if Hancock can play LF and it doesn't help our woes against LHP but keeps all the (current) best bats in the lineup regardless of matchup.

ETA: I wouldn't drastically change the gameplan to potentially save a decent/inconsistent bat but I'm spitballing here from the cheap seats.

maroonmania
03-12-2021, 01:13 PM
It’s little things that can make men angry at any age. Prolly watching Leggett go 0-4 vs a Grambling RHP was not pleasant and Leggett failed to hustle (Polk said) on two double plays.

He’s still in the mix. We haven’t gotten to SEC play where things can change as the competition level escalates. That’s were the Great Brett Pritle became a legend.

Yea, i don't understand why Leggett is playing except that I guess he gives us another RH bat but he is only hitting .222. Doesn't make sense why he would be in the lineup against a RH Grambling pitcher though over LJordan.

bulldogcountry1
03-12-2021, 01:44 PM
LJ has been in the program a long time. He is what he is at this point. He?s an average LH hitter with no power on a very LH heavy team. He?s not very fast, and he?s not a versatile defender. He?s getting the short end of the stick right now, but I can see how Lemonis wants to let younger guys get some ABs.

Guys like LJ tend to get more opportunities later in the season when there are injuries and the freshman hit a wall. He can still help us and hasn?t really failed. He just hasn?t been good enough to force Lemonis to play him every day.

Cowbell
03-12-2021, 01:59 PM

It would help if "MS State baseball fan" would delete your Facebook post about it.

Johnson85
03-12-2021, 02:46 PM
LJ has been in the program a long time. He is what he is at this point. He?s an average LH hitter with no power on a very LH heavy team. He?s not very fast, and he?s not a versatile defender. He?s getting the short end of the stick right now, but I can see how Lemonis wants to let younger guys get some ABs.

Guys like LJ tend to get more opportunities later in the season when there are injuries and the freshman hit a wall. He can still help us and hasn?t really failed. He just hasn?t been good enough to force Lemonis to play him every day.

He's a junior and had a shortened season last year. He has two years of eligibility after this year, and is somebody that probably won't be tempted to leave with a year of eligibility because he's worried about leverage in negotiating with a MLB team. He may get passed up by more talented players, but plenty of guys are still struggling into the middle of their sophomore year, which is basically where he is based on games played, and turned out fine.

OLJWales
03-12-2021, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure I like players demanding guarantees from coaches or "I'm Bolting". You either like the situation you are in or you don't. Messes up Team Chemistry IMO.

Johnson85
03-12-2021, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure I like players demanding guarantees from coaches or "I'm Bolting". You either like the situation you are in or you don't. Messes up Team Chemistry IMO.

Is there any reason to think he's demanding guarantees?

OLJWales
03-12-2021, 03:17 PM
Is there any reason to think he's demanding guarantees?

thought I saw something earlier in the thread that alluded to that, if not, My Bad

Saltydog
03-12-2021, 03:21 PM
He's not an OF. He's limited at third, although he has improved a ton. We need him against big time RHP, i.e. rocker, etc. But, now that he's mentioned he's taking his toys and going home, as much as it hurts our team, potentially, I'd let him walk. Puts Lemonis in a terrible spot. Just think, if Lem wants to start him against a RHP, which was going to happen again at some point, people are going to say the only reason he's playing is bc he threatened to quit. This limits our moves we can make w pinch hitting and RHP. It sucks, and I hate quitters.

I never said he was an outfielder HD but we do need him. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't condone him quitting or threatening to quit but he is going to hit more than Forsythe and offense is something we badly need.

Coach34
03-12-2021, 03:27 PM
Forsythe isn’t going anywhere. He will be the SS the rest of the season. Got to be solid up the middle in baseball defensively

Homedawg
03-12-2021, 05:20 PM
I never said he was an outfielder HD but we do need him. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't condone him quitting or threatening to quit but he is going to hit more than Forsythe and offense is something we badly need.
We will need his bat at some point. No doubts about it...

BiscuitEater
03-12-2021, 10:55 PM
24-7 says he is gone. Landon Jordon won?t be in the lineup or even in the dugout when Mississippi State opens SEC schedule with lsu he has decided to leave the ball club for the balance of 2021.

Homedawg
03-12-2021, 10:56 PM
24-7 says he is gone. Landon Jordon won?t be in the lineup or even in the dugout when Mississippi State opens SEC schedule with lsu he has decided to leave the ball club for the balance of 2021.

Might be a great kid. No idea. But once he even mentioned leaving it was over. Good luck to him. He's a quitter.

Hambone
03-12-2021, 11:17 PM
https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1370577549835657216?s=21

maroonmania
03-12-2021, 11:25 PM
https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1370577549835657216?s=21

Well, guess we've got to hope the Forsythe experiment continues to work at SS and more importantly at the plate. LJ quitting certainly reduces our options on the left side of the infield.

Homedawg
03-12-2021, 11:40 PM
Well, guess we've got to hope the Forsythe experiment continues to work at SS and more importantly at the plate. LJ quitting certainly reduces our options on the left side of the infield.

It sucks and at some point we will be hurt by it. With that said, it's his generation. Participation trophy's and handouts. Times get tough, you quit. Is what it is....if you don't believe me look at the transfer portal in every sport. Feelings get hurt Yada Yada.

Hambone
03-12-2021, 11:41 PM
I read also that Kellum Clark is still unavailable this weekend.

HoopsDawg
03-12-2021, 11:49 PM

Forsythe and Kam James better stay healthy!

KOdawg1
03-12-2021, 11:54 PM
I would fully respect his decision to transfer at the end of this season. You only have so long to play sports, so you need to go wherever gives you the best opportunity to do that. But to quit 3 weeks into the season when there is no where else to go? Just because you're mad because of playing time? Nah, I don't respect that at all, and it shows me a lack of his character.

Homedawg
03-13-2021, 12:04 AM
I read also that Kellum Clark is still unavailable this weekend.

Correct...

99jc
03-13-2021, 07:22 AM
He quit on himself and his team. good riddance.

msstate7
03-13-2021, 07:26 AM
Forsythe and Kam James better stay healthy!

Who is emergency SS?

maroonmania
03-13-2021, 08:00 AM
Who is emergency SS?

Kam James would have to go back to SS I guess and Leggett would go to 3rd with no Jordan. Will Kellum Clark ever be a factor at 3B? Is his lack of availability an injury of some kind?

Saltydog
03-13-2021, 09:39 AM
Supposedly leaving the team?

Apparently it's no longer a rumor. I know I didn't see him in the dugout last night. Lemonis has said "he no longer wanted to be on the team". It's done. I hate it because it obviously hurt our depth but what's done is done. Wish LJ the best of luck.....

The Federalist Engineer
03-13-2021, 09:57 AM
Intelligence Request:

I think there is a Brant Blaylock / Mitch Mustain element to this. We post stuff here that is going to make Moms and Dads mad. Or if a kid is a fan, maybe he is an ED. Especially local Mississippi kids.

I?m not passing judgment on Landon. He?s prolly an extremely good baseball player.

In my HS, the best player ever, the dominant stud in little league, torqued and barreled up everybody, he went to MSU with the expectations he was Pete Young 2.0 He was that good, compared to us

Well, at MSU he crashed into Adam Piatt, Brad Freeman, and a KY kid Hardcastle. Turned out my friend was not an immortal god of baseball. He adjusted, still got his share of baseball groupies. But that?s Nature. Freeman hit his limit in the minors. Piatt found his limits in MLB.

I hit my limit when Pete Young 2.0 struck me out on 3 pitches (many times)

Hot Rock
03-13-2021, 10:23 AM
Quitting mid-season is a different kind of quitting to me. Transfers happen and I think it?s good players can find a better situation. But not mid-season, I don?t have any respect for that at all. He would be the guy in the fox hole hiding the whole time and never have your back. He certainly does not have his teammates back if they get hurt and can?t play.

Saltydog
03-13-2021, 10:30 AM
Can't remember the specific details but Piatt's career was cut short due to illness or some disease from what I recall.

RougeDawg
03-13-2021, 11:59 AM
Ha ha. What a joke, but our current society created this. From trophies just for playing to travel teams and diddy?s who are all controlling.

I just pray the pendulum swings back soon to rewarding good things and working on failures to be better become the norm. Instead we have the ?Nintendo Reset? generation playing out before our eyes. We did this. Well I didn?t, I see the harm for what it is. Thank God the Germans aren?t bombing Pearl Harbor today. We should all be grateful for that. Current bunch of pansie ass weak minded fools, wouldn?t be able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

msstatelp1
03-13-2021, 12:55 PM
Ha ha. What a joke, but our current society created this. From trophies just for playing to travel teams and diddy?s who are all controlling.

I just pray the pendulum swings back soon to rewarding good things and working on failures to be better become the norm. Instead we have the ?Nintendo Reset? generation playing out before our eyes. We did this. Well I didn?t, I see the harm for what it is. Thank God the Germans aren?t bombing Pearl Harbor today. We should all be grateful for that. Current bunch of pansie ass weak minded fools, wouldn?t be able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Our current 18-22 year olds proudly serving our country say you are dead wrong.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2021, 01:02 PM

Good to see he holds the men and women in our Armed Forces in such high esteem**

Armed

CaptainObvious
03-13-2021, 09:16 PM
I am proud of every young man who ever went into battle to defend our country. But you have to know that many many joined the military as a job opportunity during peace time, and not to fight in police actions or Middle East wars. Those are the ones I would fear being in a foxhole with, not the warriors.

msstatelp1
03-13-2021, 09:35 PM
Anyone signing up for that "job opportunity" since 2001 knew they could be sent to war regardless. To try to dismiss their service and sacrifice is disingenuous and unpatriotic.

R2Dawg
03-13-2021, 09:57 PM

There are exceptions to everything. There is no 100% of any generation that does this or that but the generational comments are general statements about the generation not the small exception to that generation. No doubt there are some brave young men and women serving.

But in general I agree with the mindset of our culture now vs many years ago. We are soft as a nation now. Lots of things have led to that.

Ari Gold
03-14-2021, 08:39 AM
stop playing for the name on the back and play for the name on the front.
All the kid had to do was play out the season and transfer after.

It’s not like the kid wasn’t going to get ABs or not make the travel roster .

Bottom line KJ quit on this team and IMO a certain someone should have gotten on his ass and said SON you aren’t quitting.