PDA

View Full Version : How about some appreciation for Howland today?

Coach34
03-11-2021, 09:11 PM
We beat Kentucky- the 1st time State has beaten John Calipari.
We beat a team that is more talented than us
We beat a team ranked ahead of us in the SEC

That is something to be excited about and again- this team will be improved in 2021-2022. Bama is tough and we will unlikely beat them- however- they play our style and we have a chance. Same with Tenn and same with UPig. I'm not saying we will win the SEC Tourney- but I am saying we match up with the teams on our road to the SEC Tourney title better than any other. Good win today- we beat Kentucky

BrunswickDawg
03-11-2021, 09:31 PM

That is something to be excited about and again- this team will be improved in 2021-2022. Bama is tough and we will unlikely beat them- however- they play our style and we have a chance. Same with Tenn and same with UPig. I'm not saying we will win the SEC Tourney- but I am saying we match up with the teams on our road to the SEC Tourney title better than any other. Good win today- we beat Kentucky

The most Stansbury like thing Howland could do would be for us to win the tourney and get an auto bid.

BiscuitEater
03-11-2021, 09:34 PM
That is something to be excited about and again- this team will be improved in 2021-2022

You imply that this team comes back next year.

Will they?

Dawgbite
03-11-2021, 09:36 PM
But, but, but, he almost threw an interception!

R2Dawg
03-11-2021, 09:41 PM

Good win today; props to coaches and players. Ado was a man today. Molinar was clutch. Agree with this however, I don't UK is more talented than us. Take the jerseys and high school rankings on paper away and I saw a team just as or more talented than UK. UK talent this year has shown me nothing. Still a great win.

Bothrops
03-11-2021, 10:52 PM
College basketball has turned into an enigma. We were capable of beating them last time but didn't put out in the end. I'm glad we finally beat them and Howland and the players deserve the credit. They could have chosen to bow out.

99jc
03-12-2021, 07:00 AM

We beat the worst Kentucky team in 100 years really hard to get too excited...beat Bama now that's a different tune for me.

Hambone
03-12-2021, 07:34 AM
We won and showed effort.

You still beat a roster full of 5 star talent. For whatever reason this year just wasn’t their year.

This is like bitching about beating Bama in football when they had a down year.

maroonmania
03-12-2021, 07:54 AM

You still beat a roster full of 5 star talent. For whatever reason this year just wasn?t their year.

This is like bitching about beating Bama in football when they had a down year.

i am very glad we won yesterday but we could just as easily have lost if the last shot for KY had gone down. If so, we would all be here belly aching that Howland's team had managed to blow another game we seemingly had control of. This team has still yet to put 2 good halves together against any kind of decent competition. But I will absolutely give the team an A+ in effort and for finding a way to pull that game out after going down 5 in the last 5 minutes. Molinar saved our bacon in the end and also we actually hit free throws and they didn't which was a huge factor as well. Games where we were 82% at the free throw line have been few and far between this year. I found it amusing that we ended up winning by one point and KY actually gave us 3 attempts to make one of our free throws in the first half with back to back lane violations.

99jc
03-12-2021, 07:55 AM
Yeah and when bama beats our ass everyone will be bitching again it is what it is. this bi-polar team just does not excite me.

PMDawg
03-12-2021, 08:08 AM
LOL wE BeAT KenTUcKy!!!!1 (by 1 point after giving up a 14 point halftime lead) Nevermind they had 9 wins, and their worst team since 1979. It's Kentucky!

It was nice to win, but we're still in a bad place.

We're in the same place we were at the end of the Stansbury era. We have a guy that can recruit decently, but never ends up with the results to match. A guy who is a shell of his former self at the helm. Done little enough to make half the fans want to fire him, and enough to make half the fans want to keep him. And now we have an AD who most people don't want making another hire. Deja Vu all over again.

msstate7
03-12-2021, 08:27 AM
i am very glad we won yesterday but we could just as easily have lost if the last shot for KY had gone down..

If we had hit our last shot vs Dayton, Kentucky, and aTm, we'd be sitting at 17-10 going into yesterday's game. If we hit our last shot vs tenn, it would've went to OT. We didn't though, and we lost... just like Kentucky did.

basedog
03-12-2021, 08:29 AM
"We talking bout History Man". Amazes me when folks talk about our men's basketball team and not understanding our history. All I'm saying, be happy about beating Ky anytime or anyplace, It has never happened many times and it probably want happen much in the further. Just go look at Ky and their history plus the fact they have won more games in tournament play than ALL other Sec teams combined. Let that sink in for a while, damn some will never be happy about winning. It's always and will be about "WINNING"!

msstate7
03-12-2021, 08:33 AM
"We talking bout History Man". Amazes me when folks talk about our men's basketball team and not understanding our history. All I'm saying, be happy about beating Ky anytime or anyplace, It has never happened many times and it probably want happen much in the further. Just go look at Ky and their history plus the fact they have won more games in tournament play than ALL other Sec teams combined. Let that sink in for a while, damn some will never be happy about winning. It's always and will be about "WINNING"!

Our fans think we're some sort of sleeping giant in basketball bc of a magical run 25 years ago. Fact is we have 1 more tourney appearance more than OM since integration. No one would say OM is a basketball school, but they're sorta right there with us since integration. Talk of firing howland is so dumb.

basedog
03-12-2021, 08:33 AM
LOL wE BeAT KenTUcKy!!!!1 (by 1 point after giving up a 14 point halftime lead) Nevermind they had 9 wins, and their worst team since 1979. It's Kentucky!

It was nice to win, but we're still in a bad place.

We're in the same place we were at the end of the Stansbury era. We have a guy that can recruit decently, but never ends up with the results to match. A guy who is a shell of his former self at the helm. Done little enough to make half the fans want to fire him, and enough to make half the fans want to keep him. And now we have an AD who most people don't want making another hire. Deja Vu all over again.

Funny how you mention the place we are in "again". Can you tell me what coaches besides Stans and Howland that have put us in a "happy place". I will hang up and listen, that is all.
I', not bashing you, but we have never been good over our time, only Babe did great things and he wasn't at Msu all that long.

Jack Lambert
03-12-2021, 09:18 AM
He got out coached the second half and the guys on the court got out played. Thank goodness they had that big lead.

Saltydog
03-12-2021, 09:21 AM

You still beat a roster full of 5 star talent. For whatever reason this year just wasn?t their year.

That's what most of the teams in the SEC said when they beat the WBB team.

basedog
03-12-2021, 09:42 AM
He got out coached the second half and the guys on the court got out played. Thank goodness they had that big lead.

Come on Jack, if what you say is true then Howland out coached Caliber in the first first half and our guys out played them. Our guys never quit and again who cares after the fact we won today and will get another chance to win today.

basedog
03-12-2021, 09:43 AM
Our fans think we're some sort of sleeping giant in basketball bc of a magical run 25 years ago. Fact is we have 1 more tourney appearance more than OM since integration. No one would say OM is a basketball school, but they're sorta right there with us since integration. Talk of firing howland is so dumb.

Mind blowing!

OLJWales
03-12-2021, 09:43 AM
Enjoyed seeing Howland's Dogs fight like that. Shouldn't we be excited for next year as well? It sucks for our program because we all miss the "Rick's Rowdy's" era but it seems tougher these days in SEC Hoops. We got used to competing for the West title back in Rick's era. Kinda like those JWS days when whippin' Bamer was something we got to enjoy every now and again. Based on how the SEC looks today versus yesterday seems different. If I'm right, then it's hard not to appreciate what Howland's doing. We don't own a birthright to compete for "SEC West" titles year end and year out.

PMDawg
03-12-2021, 09:45 AM
Funny how you mention the place we are in "again". Can you tell me what coaches besides Stans and Howland that have put us in a "happy place". I will hang up and listen, that is all.
I', not bashing you, but we have never been good over our time, only Babe did great things and he wasn't at Msu all that long.

I will, as soon as you tell me the "happy place" Howland has us in.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-12-2021, 09:47 AM
We beat a 9-16 team by one point after blowing a lead.

Added one for you

Better hurry up and get that appreciation in, you only have a couple more hours.

tcdog70
03-12-2021, 10:27 AM
I want Ben to stay. but saying that I can never figure out how we continue to let the other teams best 3 point shooter wander around wide ass open? in the last 9 games #11 has made 2 3s. But when He plays Us he is Reggie Miller. why can't we guard Him? Do not play Help defense off of Him. Take His ass out of the game.

Coach34
03-12-2021, 10:29 AM

Richard Williams

Stands gets too much credit for some reason I dont understand. Our 1st SEC title under Williams was all Williams/Brady recruits and a Sr laden basketball team that had played together for 4 years. Give Stands credit for the Johnnie Walker/Erick Stevens/Orien Watson years too

Coach34
03-12-2021, 10:31 AM
I want Ben to stay. but saying that I can never figure out how we continue to let the other teams best 3 point shooter wander around wide ass open? in the last 9 games #11 has made 2 3s. But when He plays Us he is Reggie Miller. why can't we guard Him? Do not play Help defense off of Him. Take His ass out of the game.

Because we play a sagging help the paint at all costs M2M D. We seemingly dont care who the 3 pt shooter is. That is the one part of Howland's coaching that bothers me.

OLJWales
03-12-2021, 11:44 AM
How long has it been since we've had back to back clutch free throws like that?

basedog
03-12-2021, 12:08 PM
Richard Williams

Stands gets too much credit for some reason I dont understand. Our 1st SEC title under Williams was all Williams/Brady recruits and a Sr laden basketball team that had played together for 4 years. Give Stands credit for the Johnnie Walker/Erick Stevens/Orien Watson years too

Yep to RW, but once again it doesn't happen often at Msu.

Jack Lambert
03-12-2021, 12:10 PM
Come on Jack, if what you say is true then Howland out coached Caliber in the first first half and our guys out played them. Our guys never quit and again who cares after the fact we won today and will get another chance to win today.

The differenced is KY made adjustments at half and looks like State didn't make adjustment to to counter KY. If State only had aa 10 point lead at half they would have lost. I don't want Howland gone. I like him it 's just he did not do a good job the second half and KY coach did not do a good job the first half but he got better.

basedog
03-12-2021, 12:15 PM
The differenced is KY made adjustments at half and looks like State didn't make adjustment to to counter KY. If State only had aa 10 point lead at half they would have lost. I don't want Howland gone. I like him it 's just he did not do a good job the second half and KY coach did not do a good job the first half but he got better.

Pretty simple making adjustments with a team full of 4 and 5 stars.

Hot Rock
03-12-2021, 12:28 PM
It?s not cool to like a coach that has been just OK.

Thing is, he is doing a decent job and he recruits fairly well. This coach and team should be supported better.

msugolf
03-12-2021, 12:47 PM
I appreciate that I only have to watch his non existent, Stone Age offense for one more year

PGHBulldogBG
03-12-2021, 12:50 PM
I guess we should appreciate Croom since he beat Bama in football

OLJWales
03-12-2021, 12:58 PM
I went to bed feeling good, but this morning be like:

https://i.postimg.cc/Qx5TJTYH/Piggy-went-to-market.jpg

R2Dawg
03-12-2021, 01:13 PM
Pretty simple making adjustments with a team full of 4 and 5 stars.

Something doesn't add up here. So they are 2-3 stars more talented; have infinite better coaching that made adjustments at half and yet UK lost.

This must be the new math everyone is teaching. I am all for deep thinking but someone explain that to the common folk.

R2Dawg
03-12-2021, 01:14 PM
I guess we should appreciate Croom since he beat Bama in football

And he beat Saban once. Lets bring Croom back, yes that is the answer. Joking for those that can't tell. Perspective is a powerful thing when used as is context.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-12-2021, 01:24 PM

OK I'll do it...Thank you Howland for continuing to prove me right. That you are in fact washed up and can't coach at all anymore.

MetEdDawg
03-12-2021, 01:55 PM
If I didn't read this thread until today, do I still have to give Howland appreciation?

msstate7
03-12-2021, 02:01 PM
If I didn't read this thread until today, do I still have to give Howland appreciation?

You're excused.

For real though, everyone needs to just accept the fact howland will be here next season. He should have a team perfectly capable of making the tourney. Why don't we just give him and the team our support next season? If howland sinks next season with a tourney level team, we'll all be on the same page wanting him to go. Until then though, let's give the team a damn home court advantage and not bash em every day, all day.

HancockCountyDog
03-12-2021, 02:39 PM
If Stans takes WKU to the tourney this year while we are in year six of Howland while going 51-57 in the SEC since he got here with one NCAA tourney birth in six years, some heads may explode.

PGHBulldogBG
03-12-2021, 11:41 PM
If Stans takes WKU to the tourney this year while we are in year six of Howland while going 51-57 in the SEC since he got here with one NCAA tourney birth in six years, some heads may explode.

Those people need to move on. Everyone knows I am not a Howland fan but Stansbury is only a little step above. They are essentially one in the same. Good recruiters and bad in game coaches. With the talent Stansbury had he should?ve blown through that conference and been an 8 seed or so

Coach34
03-13-2021, 02:05 AM
If Stans takes WKU to the tourney this year while we are in year six of Howland
while going 51-57 in the SEC since he got here with one NCAA tourney birth in six years, some heads may explode.

Why? Every coach at WK takes them to the NCAA Tournament. It’s taken Stands longer than usual. No WK coach has missed the NCAA Tourney in modern history

tcdog70
03-14-2021, 11:48 AM
Because we play a sagging help the paint at all costs M2M D. We seemingly dont care who the 3 pt shooter is. That is the one part of Howland's coaching that bothers me.

If we are not going to guard the 3 point line?why not play a zone and at least take away dribble penetration . Bama yesterday could either shoot layups and dunks or wide ass open 3s. Shit, take something away.

maroonmania
03-14-2021, 02:23 PM
If we are not going to guard the 3 point line?why not play a zone and at least take away dribble penetration . Bama yesterday could either shoot layups and dunks or wide ass open 3s. Shit, take something away.

Because with Howland we have no clue how to play zone defense nor do we have a clue how to attack one on offense.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-18-2021, 04:30 PM
to the coward who sent me a message through reputation points...hahahaha

I will give it a rest when we get rid of the dead weight and get a real coach and by the way. My opinion of Howland can be voiced as much as I choose. This is a message board. Get over it.

PMDawg
03-18-2021, 05:32 PM
Why? Every coach at WK takes them to the NCAA Tournament. It’s taken Stands longer than usual. No WK coach has missed the NCAA Tourney in modern history

Stans today does not = Stans of the late 90's, early 2000s. Stans hasn't been a good coach in a long time. He did good things here, but that's in the past. He also did awful things here. We got rid of him, and we should have. That's never been the problem. Anyone who still thinks that's the problem is a lost cause at this point. The problem was the next hire. Rick Ray was a joke, and he destroyed the program. Howland did an okay job of building back some, but he's just stuck in neutral at this point. It's just hard to see him doing much going forward. He gets one more year, and he should. But if next year is a repeat of this year, I don't see a justification for keeping him. His one trip to the NCAA ended in a 1st round loss to a 12 seed. Just not much to be excited about with him.

Coach34
03-18-2021, 07:15 PM
Stans today does not = Stans of the late 90's, early 2000s. Stans hasn't been a good coach in a long time. He did good things here, but that's in the past. He also did awful things here. We got rid of him, and we should have. That's never been the problem. Anyone who still thinks that's the problem is a lost cause at this point. The problem was the next hire. Rick Ray was a joke, and he destroyed the program. Howland did an okay job of building back some, but he's just stuck in neutral at this point. It's just hard to see him doing much going forward. He gets one more year, and he should. But if next year is a repeat of this year, I don't see a justification for keeping him. His one trip to the NCAA ended in a 1st round loss to a 12 seed. Just not much to be excited about with him.

good post

Coach34
03-18-2021, 07:16 PM

I agree