PDA

View Full Version : Championship week... the shell of it

msstate7
03-07-2021, 08:03 PM
This used to be one of the best sporting events there was. I used to love the big east, acc, and sec tournies. What can we do to fix college basketball bc it has really fell off?

Saltydog
03-07-2021, 08:28 PM
Between the draft and all the AAU bs I've almost written the sport off. Not sure if there's an easy fix or not but there's no doubt it's fallen off. Of course, the pandemic hasn't helped either.

The Federalist Engineer
03-07-2021, 08:36 PM
This used to be one of the best sporting events there was. I used to love the big east, acc, and sec tournies. What can we do to fix college basketball bc it has really fell off?

Now that European Soccer is on TV everyday and champions league at this time. RIP Basketball.

Cowbell
03-07-2021, 08:37 PM

It's baseball season 7

HoopsDawg
03-07-2021, 08:46 PM
Basketball as we knew it is gone and it ain't coming back. Sherman Douglas isn't throwing any more alleys to Derrick Coleman. And Patrick Ewing definitely isn't playing 4 years at Georgetown anymore. That was fun. You really got to know the stars before they went to the NBA.

I can't think of any rule changes other than reducing timeouts by 1 per team. The rule changes the last few years have mostly been good. Replay is pretty awful, but maybe it's necessary.

Bothrops
03-08-2021, 02:10 AM
Been saying for a while that college basketball is a wreck. Need more participation at the grade school level and fan interest in general.

Maroonthirteen
03-08-2021, 07:48 AM
It's baseball season 7

With Internet, smart TVs and secn+, SEC baseball will grow even more in popularity and basketball will become the distant third sport of interest. Obviously that reality is already here in Mississippi.

Rex54
03-08-2021, 08:11 AM
The sport of basketball (and increasingly football) just isn't compelling. Too much scoring.

msstate7
03-08-2021, 08:16 AM
Wish basketball would adopt a policy like baseball. You can go pro straight out of HS; but if you go to college, you aren't draft eligible till after year 3. It would allow teams to grow together, and thus, improve the overall quality of the game.

PGHBulldogBG
03-08-2021, 08:28 AM
I wish college baseball got more publicity, but at the same time it?s a shame college basketball has lost popularity because of what?s it?s become. Even though college basketball has blue bloods, it?s not like football where it?s the same 5 or 6 teams year after year in the playoff and then the same 2 or 3 winning it.

Johnson85
03-08-2021, 09:12 AM
The only thing that's really in control of the NCAA is they could invest in better officiating. It's hard to ref basketball. They need to start getting former players to ref. THe game is too fast to have old guys out there trying to keep up.

The best thing that could happen for the NCAA would be for the NBA to adopt baseball's eligibility rule. Go straight to the NBA or wait three years to be eligible. That would really improve the game, but not sure it's ever going to happen.

msstate7
03-08-2021, 10:13 AM
The only thing that's really in control of the NCAA is they could invest in better officiating. It's hard to ref basketball. They need to start getting former players to ref. THe game is too fast to have old guys out there trying to keep up.

The best thing that could happen for the NCAA would be for the NBA to adopt baseball's eligibility rule. Go straight to the NBA or wait three years to be eligible. That would really improve the game, but not sure it's ever going to happen.

It would improve both games, college and nba

Choctaw Dawg
03-08-2021, 11:23 AM
Get rid of the One and Done rule, now that Duke and Kentucky even when they are good struggling to go deep in the postseason with one and done players you are about to see the bluebloods petition the NBA to change the rule. If you watch most games you see there is no team chemistry whatsoever and there is no chance to build it since the teams look different every year. The teams that do good in the postseason are usually the ones that have a bunch of upperclass players on it

Johnson85
03-08-2021, 11:29 AM
It would improve both games, college and nba

It really would be a no brainer for the NBA. Making sure a steady stream of players stayed in college long enough for fan bases to identify with them would allow them to pick up additional fans as they follow college players to the NBA. It'd also make it cheaper for the league. Let colleges pay for some development and then still reap the rewards of the final product, just with more name recognition.

The only thing stopping it I think is the players union. WHich I've said before, it's crazy that that's the one thing a union in the US takes a principled stance on, even though it's against their current members' interests. Any other time, it's pretty much screw anybody and everybody else as hard as is necessary if it benefits the current union members by a single dollar.

Irondawg
03-08-2021, 12:15 PM
I also hate the abundance of tv timeouts - there is way too much stoppage of play.

But the biggest problem is the massive roster turnover each year. Fans can?t connect to the players and coaches struggle with cohesion and building team identity

HoopsDawg
03-08-2021, 02:11 PM
I also hate the abundance of tv timeouts - there is way too much stoppage of play.

But the biggest problem is the massive roster turnover each year. Fans can?t connect to the players and coaches struggle with cohesion and building team identity

replays have helped correct some bad calls, but at what cost? The stoppages are awful. I've long thought that 4 tv timeouts per half, halftime, +8 additional timeouts for the coaches is too much. My solution would be to elminate the carryover timeouts that coaches get plus change the tv timeouts to 15-10-5 so just 3 per half. And I would eliminate replay. Maybe give coaches 1 or 2 challenges per game.

HoopsDawg
03-08-2021, 02:22 PM
20 players entered the transfer portal today in basketball. It's crazy. I don't know what you can do about it.

parabrave
03-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Wish basketball would adopt a policy like baseball. You can go pro straight out of HS; but if you go to college, you aren't draft eligible till after year 3. It would allow teams to grow together, and thus, improve the overall quality of the game.

This/ But then again it's baseball season.

yjnkdawg
03-08-2021, 03:07 PM

It would help the coaching staff in recruiting too. Not having to wonder if this player will be here or not next year.

confucius say
03-08-2021, 04:20 PM
The one and done rule killed college basketball.

With the emergence of the g league, the nba's minor league system, I really see no point in the one and done rule. Let kids go straight to the league if they want and if they don't make it they get assigned to the g league team.

Do away with 1 and done, and adopt the mlb rule of straight from HS to pros or 3 and done rule if you enter college.

msstate7
03-08-2021, 04:52 PM
20 players entered the transfer portal today in basketball. It's crazy. I don't know what you can do about it.

Any ball handlers? We need one

Irondawg
03-08-2021, 05:39 PM
I think with all the TV timeouts I?d be fine with one coach timeout per half. In game replay only on last 3-4 minutes of a game.

If you want to check for a flagrant or if a shot was a 2 or a 3 you do it during the next timeout stoppage and don?t disrupt the game

RocketDawg
03-08-2021, 05:59 PM

Yes. If a kid wants to try pro straight out of high school, it should be up to him and his parents. But once you go to college, then you have to stay.

How'd LeBron James manage to go straight from high school? Have the rules changed since his day?

Coach34
03-08-2021, 06:23 PM
Any ball handlers? We need one

We have our PG for next year in Smith. We need another outside shooter

msstate7
03-08-2021, 06:32 PM

I love smith. I do want one to rest him some, but I suppose Molinar and smith can rotate the point.

HoopsDawg
03-08-2021, 07:02 PM

100%.

msstate7
03-08-2021, 07:07 PM
I think molinar, Stewart, and fountain will be good 3-pt shooters for us next season. Post has the potential to be.

msugolf
03-08-2021, 09:43 PM

It's going to be hard to get one in this offensive system. Right now there aren't many minutes to give someone if Stewart comes back and ranking near last in 3 pt fg attempts isn't exactly attractive to prospects.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-09-2021, 05:52 AM
1. Go to 4 Qtrs.. reset team fouls at the beginning of each qtr... shoot FT?s at 5 fouls.
2. Widen the lane to the current NBA size.
3. Better referees that are a smaller part of the game.... get rid of the Teddy Valentines that think people come to watch the refs.
4. Get rid of one and done.

BrunswickDawg
03-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Yes. If a kid wants to try pro straight out of high school, it should be up to him and his parents. But once you go to college, then you have to stay.

How'd LeBron James manage to go straight from high school? Have the rules changed since his day?

Yes, they changed the rule in 2005 as a part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Lebron was drafted in '03

trob115
03-09-2021, 10:05 AM
The one and done rule expires this year.

Coach34
03-09-2021, 10:55 AM
It's going to be hard to get one in this offensive system. Right now there aren't many minutes to give someone if Stewart comes back and ranking near last in 3 pt fg attempts isn't exactly attractive to prospects.

It?s not the system- it?s the players. We don?t have guys that bomb this year. Stewart and Molinar shoot ok behind the arc but their game is slashing and getting the 15 footer or attacking the basket. Smith has work to do on his 3 ball as well- he is a penetrator. We need a legit 2 or 3- maybe a stretch 4 that can shoot some 3?s consistently. We have 2 paint players in Ado and Tolu which is not the norm in today?s game.

BrunswickDawg
03-09-2021, 11:51 AM
The one and done rule expires this year.

But, they haven't clarified how they will address draft eligibility. As it stands now, 18 year old's will become eligible, but so will all college players. Having everyone eligible every year doesn't do the college game any good.

Johnson85
03-09-2021, 11:56 AM
But, they haven't clarified how they will address draft eligibility. As it stands now, 18 year old's will become eligible, but so will all college players. Having everyone eligible every year doesn't do the college game any good.

It will help some to not have the players that are only coming because they don't want to go overseas and don't want to spend a year in the G-league or whatever they are calling it.
SO it does some good, although not a huge amount.