PDA

View Full Version : So how do we beat Bama?

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Please don't say fire Mullen or anything purely moronic.

I would love to see Holloway and Lewis in space. I think Perkins catching passes out of the backfield is hard to defend. We definitely need to take some shots downfield with Bear.

Our defense needs to put AJ on his ass.

msstate7
11-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Dak will have to beat their pass rush by scrambling IMO. I'd love to see us move the pocket some this weekend. We have to continue stretching the field like we did yesterday. Malcolm Johnson has to show up; we need him in the middle of the field

Those are things that I feel we have to do well in order to have a chance. We also need them to turn the ball over, come out flat, and sunseri doesn't need to play.

I don't think we win, but I feel like we're gonna hang with them. Saban will get a lead and play conservatively so we should be able to keep it respectable.

Dawgface
11-10-2013, 05:36 PM
We can't.

Will James
11-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Play them in baseball

TopDog58
11-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Hope that their bus rolls off Hwy 82, gets lost in the woods, and nobody knows their whereabouts until well after kickoff.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-10-2013, 05:53 PM
By not letting our QB look like this

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UxnefgEVqLY/Un8L3dvLlRI/AAAAAAAAAQM/HvOSUHKCkjI/s400/zmett22.gif

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 05:53 PM
There are plenty of smart ass ways to answer this thread, but since I value good/intelligent/intellectual football discussion, I'll give it a try.

1. First off, we need to find a way to score a TD first. It seems that every time we play Bama they score a TD first and take us out of our game plan.

2. Our defensive line, the strength of our team, must make Bama's offense as one dimensional as possible.

3. After making Bama earn most of their yards through the air, our DBs can't blow coverages. They must trust the coaches and play within the scheme. Bama will run some hellacious play-action passes and our DBs and safety's must be disciplined.

4. Our d-line hopefully/should get some pressure on McCarron. Bama will counter this by throwing a few screen passes. Our defense must understand the down and distance and play smart football. Don't get caught off guard by a screen pass that everyone in the stadium knows is coming.

5. Must tackle well again. We have tackled well for two straight weeks, and we will have to tackle well this week to stay in the game and make Bama earn everything.

6. Must get a turnover or two on Bama's side of the field.

I started with defense because our defense will have to play an unbelievable game to slow down Bama enough so that the score stays low enough and time runs off the clock quickly enough that we can keep this game low scoring enough that our offense has a fighters chance.

7. No turnovers that give Bama a short field. Our defense will have to play lights out to win, so we can't give Bama a freebee by allowing their offense to start in our territory. Gary Danielson said last night that Bama has one of the worst sacks/passes thrown percentages in the SEC. Bama doesn't get many sacks. So we must not force throws. Don't be afraid to punt. Win field position.

8. Ground and pound, make the clock run out, and take some shots over the top to Wilson. We can't have 12 play drive against Bama. We must create some big plays and Wilson is our best chance for that since Bama doesn't have a 6'6" DB.

9. No special teams mishaps. This one area where Bama kills teams. Many teams, including us, have solid starting lineups, but this is where Bama's depth does work. They may be the best special teams team in the country. We must get lucky, stay disciplined, kick kickoffs out of the end zone, no punt returns, no blocks, and make our field goals because we likely won't get many scoring chances.

10. Fans must create the most electric atmosphere possible. No empty seats and loud as hell.

If we do all of this, we will be in a close game in the 4th quarter, but there is no margin for error; and thats where we usually fail miserably. If we get into a 4th quarter game, we will need a miracle. The gods will have to place their hands on a bulldog.

was21
11-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Only remote possibility is to put a hat on a hat on both sides of the line and hope they're tired after last night.

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 06:10 PM
I'd say the first thing we need to do is try to beat them deep with Bear. Ironic I know. Use screens with Jameon and try to throw him open on crossing routes. I'd also run Robinson and Shumpert and try to be as physical as possible with them.

Defensively we have to try to get pressure on McCarron and hope he has a bad day. And then that should allow us to focus on stopping the run.

And NO SPECIAL TEAMS MISTAKES!!!

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 06:11 PM
By not letting our QB look like this

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UxnefgEVqLY/Un8L3dvLlRI/AAAAAAAAAQM/HvOSUHKCkjI/s400/zmett22.gif

A QB crawling off the field like that was one of the most awesome things I have seen in my life. The only thing that would have made it better is if it was Eli.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-10-2013, 06:14 PM
A QB crawling off the field like that was one of the most awesome things I have seen in my life. The only thing that would have made it better is if it was Eli.

A QB named Mettenberger crawling off the field like that is an awesome thing, **** that little prick and karma is a bitch.

mparkerfd20
11-10-2013, 06:32 PM
We don't.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Play the game of our lives defensively, and play the field position game. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball. This is the type of game where our only chance is to run the ball, shorten the game, stay patient, play great defense, and not turn it over. Give ourselves a chance in the 4th. No stupid penalties, no going for it on 4th and inches in our territory, no shanked punts, kick the ball through the damn end zone on kick offs, make field goals, and a packed house with loud fans.

And a prayer won't hurt either.

starkvegasdawg
11-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Get an acc officiating crew in to work the game. That way bama won't get every single call go their way all night. That is a good place to start. After that we have to play a 100% flawless game and hope bama makes so many mistakes that saban's head is the same color as his team's helmets.

Jack Lambert
11-10-2013, 06:54 PM

I would love to see Holloway and Lewis in space. I think Perkins catching passes out of the backfield is hard to defend. We definitely need to take some shots downfield with Bear.

I have not read every post so I don't know what everyone has posted but here is what I think. We play hard for four quarters like we did saturday but not have any special team mistakes and not turn the ball over on offense we will put a scare in every bamers out there.

Churchill
11-10-2013, 06:58 PM
We`re a 24 1/2 pt dog. Just start preparing for Arky..don`t worry about the Tide.

Dawg4Life
11-10-2013, 07:17 PM

I think you have to keep the game low scoring and have a chance late, say within 7-10 points in the 4th quarter. So the obvious start is with this:
1. No Turnovers
2. Win Special Teams (or at least don't pull a game like yesterday)
3. Third down conversions, on both sides.
By doing these you have a chance to keep the field position in your favor. It may not work out but it certainly won't if one of these goals aren't attained.

As for matchups, play-calling, etc., I would think we stand a good shot to slow down the run. We MUST control the line of scrimmage on the defensive side of the ball. They will hit some passes but don't give up the big play. Holding Bama to field goals will be satisfactory much of the night.

Offensively we must get some power back in the run game. This is directly related to third down conversions. Also, we must get vertical. The horizontal passing game will NOT work against this bunch. Where is M. Johnson? Tight end seam routes and other passes between the hashes will be open. Punting is not a bad thing...remember this. Be patient.

It's a very long shot but not impossible. Things have to happen perfectly but I've seen it before.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 07:23 PM
I think Dak is by far our better QB, but is he the best QB for this game?

Gary Danielson said last night that Bama has one of the lowest pass/sack ratios, on defense, in the SEC. Bama hasn't been getting many sacks because they somehow lack pure pass rushers. Futhermore, the strength of their team their d-line and the best linebackers in the nation, and the weakness of their team is their secondary, which A&M exploited

Therfore, I ask, Bama lacks a great pass rush and their weakness is their secondary, should we play Tyler instead of Dak?

Or do we just execute so much better with Dak that this is a dumb argument?

was21
11-10-2013, 07:23 PM
We`re a 24 1/2 pt dog. Just start preparing for Arky..don`t worry about the Tide.

You may have posted that in jest. Fact is: I really believe that Sherrill would decide early on which teams he thought we could beat. He would then plan accordingly. It was obvious in his pre game interviews. If he was serious sounding, you knew we were going to be in the game. If he was laughing joking around and talking about how good the other team was, then you knew we were in for an ass kicking. He was always serious about Alabama and OM for example but always joked about Arkansas and LSU. Check the outcomes of those games during his tenure. So he and the team would take the week off every now and then. He always planned for a winning record...period.

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 07:25 PM
The team we are fielding Saturday has no chance - 0% - of beating Alabama.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 07:29 PM
The team we are fielding Saturday has no chance - 0% - of beating Alabama.

You are literally the antithesis of intellectual football discussions. If you think we have zero chance, then please explain your thinking, because the stats we put up against SC and A&M indicate that we have, at least, at 2%-5% chance, which means there is a formula that could allow it happen.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Gary Danielson said last night that Bama has one of the lowest pass/sack ratios, on defense, in the SEC. Bama hasn't been getting many sacks because they somehow lack pure pass rushers. Futhermore, the strength of their team their d-line and the best linebackers in the nation, and the weakness of their team is their secondary, which A&M exploited

Therfore, I ask, Bama lacks a great pass rush and their weakness is their secondary, should we play Tyler instead of Dak?

I think if Bama's secondary is bad enough for Tyler to exploit them....Dak should be able to exploit them enough. We have got to have a threat of the run or we will get destroyed IMO. The gap between Dak and Tyler's running ability is far greater than the gap between their passing abilities. I would play Dak.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I think if Bama's secondary is bad enough for Tyler to exploit them....Dak should be able to exploit them enough. We have got to have a threat of the run or we will get destroyed IMO. The gap between Dak and Tyler's running ability is far greater than the gap between their passing abilities. I would play Dak.

Good answer, and I do agree about Daks throwing abilities being closer to Tyler's throwing abilities, than Tyler's running abilities are close to Dak's running abilities.

I agree, furthermore, Perkins needs to be in the slot for this game and Robinson needs to be the main running back. Perkins has no chance of running against Bama.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Good answer, and I do agree about Daks throwing abilities being closer to Tyler's throwing abilities, than Tyler's running abilities are close to Dak's running abilities.

I agree, furthermore, Perkins needs to be in the slot for this game and Robinson needs to be the main running back. Perkins has no chance of running against Bama.

Agreed. I would bring in Perk in obvious passing situations, but that's it. Feed Robinson and Shump. I want to see a shit ton of diamond formation.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Agreed. I would bring in Perk in obvious passing situations, but that's it. Feed Robinson and Shump. I want to see a shit ton of diamond formation.

This isn't a game where we should be trying to hit big plays in the running. If that happens, then great, but the main focus should be moving the chains and eating clock. Shorten this game as much as possible and see if we can get to the fourth quarter in a one score game.

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 07:55 PM
You are literally the antithesis of intellectual football discussions. If you think we have zero chance, then please explain your thinking, because the stats we put up against SC and A&M indicate that we have, at least, at 2%-5% chance, which means there is a formula that could allow it happen.

South Carolina and A&M are literally irrelevant to our chances against Alabama. Alabama is much better than South Carolina, and we don't have an otherworldly talent like Manziel to challenge and pressure Alabama's secondary. Our offensive line is going to get mauled by Alabama's defensive line.

Don't get me wrong, our D-line will have a couple nice plays but it won't control the game enough to think that will be the deciding factor. I suppose if Alabama makes a season's worth of mistakes and we play the best game of Mullen's tenure, then yeah there's a 2-5% chance. But the chances of that are so miniscule that the whole thing is moot. If you try to convince yourself there's some way this game will be close, you are going to be mighty pissed around 9:30 Saturday night. Sorry that you disagree with that.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 07:58 PM
South Carolina and A&M are literally irrelevant to our chances against Alabama. Alabama is much better than South Carolina, and we don't have an otherworldly talent like Manziel to challenge and pressure Alabama's secondary. Our offensive line is going to get mauled by Alabama's defensive line.

Don't get me wrong, our D-line will have a couple nice plays but it won't control the game enough to think that will be the deciding factor. I suppose if Alabama makes a season's worth of mistakes and we play the best game of Mullen's tenure, then yeah there's a 2-5% chance. But the chances of that are so miniscule that the whole thing is moot. If you try to convince yourself there's some way this game will be close, you are going to be mighty pissed around 9:30 Saturday night. Sorry that you disagree with that.

It's fine that you disagree with me, but in this post you actually gave reasons that contributed to the conversation. Nice job.

Jdawg
11-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Give their team food poisoning.

Jdawg
11-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Bama doesn't have the rush ends this year but they still get plenty of pressure from their D line. Points will be at a premium so to answer your question I'll ask you this. Which QB gives us the best chance to get points? Which QB moves the ball better?

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Bama doesn't have the rush ends this year but they still get plenty of pressure from their D line. Points will be at a premium so to answer your question I'll ask you this. Which QB gives us the best chance to get points? Which QB moves the ball better?

That would be DAKOTA PRESCOTT

cheewgumm
11-10-2013, 11:37 PM
I'd tell ask to run EVERY chance he gets.... But get down and not take shots. I think you could kill them on dropping back then running, but gotta make sure he doesn't get hurt. Id tell him 1 st sign of trouble run run run then slide. I mean even more than normal.... So that end of game he has about 35 carries but they are not conventional.

I also don't mean the drop back then run draw type plays, but literally drop back to pass but run early.

Idk this may be a terrible idea but I think the more carries dak has the better chance to win but they are gonna be ready for him in the planned runs.

cheewgumm
11-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Oh one more thing. I'd debut Chris jones at de. Bama drops back and passes. Make one their tackles try to block him. At least on 3 rd down passing situations is do this.

ScoobaDawg
11-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Only chance we have is our wide receivers make plays...and quickly at that. Our OL won't be able to stop Bamas D-line and seems our WR's don't scramble when a play breaks down.
If we can make Bama worry about our passing the run game will open up. But we can't just line up and run them over.

Bothrops
11-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Play the best game in program history, then we have a 35 percent chance.

DawgsBite34
11-11-2013, 09:20 AM
People, Alabama puts their cleats on just like we do. If we run the ball, play keep away using THE GREAT EQUALIZER, the option with Dak Prescott we can play with anybody. Our defense is good enough at home to give them all they want. The D-Line will need to play lights out, if we go with that 3 man front a lot, Jones better damn well draw a double team like he did Saturday or they'll run for at least 200 yards. I feel pretty confident our D-line will hold their own, some pressure on their QB would be a bonus. We''ll need it. I feel like Love can play with any of their wideouts they have. None are just outstanding. Need to play aggressive take some chances on D, send the backers on 3rd down. On Offense, RTGDF, Dan. Preferably the option with Dak Prescott and the backs. Dak needs to play his ass off like he did last week, and I think he will. All that said, i have no faith in Dan to do all this. To make the personnel changes on O (JRob starts at RB, use Shumpert more, start Clayborn at Right Guard), and playcalling, (we'll throw it 3 plays and punt) It''ll be a game at halftime because we're at home and our defense can stop the run, but by the 4th if Dan does what I expect him to do, itll be all over and done with. IF dan does what he has done. If not, then we've got a helluva shot

BulldogBear
11-11-2013, 09:28 AM
For any chance to score much more than 0, we are gonna have to have receivers play lights out and drop NO passes. Bama will stop the run/Dak and dare our receivers to catch it on 3rd down.

If Russell plays any series before Bama is up by 21, that series will be a 3 and out.

curmudgeon
11-11-2013, 09:42 AM
We have to play a near perfect game combined with Alabama playing an uncharacteristic under Saban bad one.

I think this game will play a lot like the Florida game in 2010. Florida looked like they were about to roll at halftime and made a uncharacteristic mistake that gave us confidence. We go into the third quarter with a chance, but Bama proves too good, and after taking a two score lead, we turn the ball back over to them and they make it a three score game early in the 4th quarter.

JScottDova
11-11-2013, 12:30 PM
TSUN got shut out because they got greedy and wouldn't take a field goal and kept it in the air. The only team able to do that and be a little successful was aTm. Everyone else that has scored on them has used a lot of running game to set up the play action. Hell, even vatech put some points on the board. Maybe not many, but they suck. Perk outta get at least 25 carries. Start Dak and see how it goes.

stxdawg
11-11-2013, 12:42 PM
I believe this will be a very close game. We definitely have the defense to slow down Bama's run game. We really need our secondary to step up. As for offense, this is where I am concerned. I just don't see how we can put up many points on them. We will have to take advantage of EVERY opportunity to score, which means we will need Dak to play as good or better than he did against A&M. If we get a few turnovers, I like our chances even better. I have had a feeling all season that we would give Bama a scare, and now I feel we got a legitimate shout at the upset.

Bo Darville
11-11-2013, 12:48 PM
1) Need to be +3 in turnovers
2) Need a big special teams play
3) Need a defensive touchdown
4) Don't abandon the physical run (Robinson/Grifffin/Shumpert)
5) Must tackle well in space
6) Don't stop an entire drive with a dropped pass / foolish play calling / dumb penalty
7) Play hard for 4 quarters / relentless effort
8) Makeable field goals must be made
9) Don't let Bama take the crowd out of the game. Keep it close going to the 4th and the crowd will be our friend.

Like every team in America, Bama can be beaten. You must play almost perfect though. Mettenberger and LSU played well. But that isn't good enough. You have to play exceptional. We must play exceptional. You don't beat Bama with stupid penalties, turnovers, dumb decisions, wasted timeouts, etc. It will take flawless execution.

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2013, 01:04 PM
ROBINSON outta get at least 25 carries. Start Dak and see how it goes.

Fixed it for you

Tbonewannabe
11-11-2013, 01:37 PM
1) Need to be +3 in turnovers
2) Need a big special teams play
3) Need a defensive touchdown
4) Don't abandon the physical run (Robinson/Grifffin/Shumpert)
5) Must tackle well in space
6) Don't stop an entire drive with a dropped pass / foolish play calling / dumb penalty
7) Play hard for 4 quarters / relentless effort
8) Makeable field goals must be made
9) Don't let Bama take the crowd out of the game. Keep it close going to the 4th and the crowd will be our friend.

Like every team in America, Bama can be beaten. You must play almost perfect though. Mettenberger and LSU played well. But that isn't good enough. You have to play exceptional. We must play exceptional. You don't beat Bama with stupid penalties, turnovers, dumb decisions, wasted timeouts, etc. It will take flawless execution.
LSU had 2 turnovers from lack of focus. Center snap when mett was calling an audible and didn't hold the damn ball with noone to beat going into the endzone. Lb behind caused the fumble. They take care of the ball and it is a different game.

BulldogBear
11-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Slip a strong laxative into their gatorade mix