PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Vic

preachermatt83
02-24-2021, 01:34 AM
Offer him half a million more than he?s making. Crap even a million more. We have the money. And the money we are going to lose through our women?s bb program is gonna far outweigh an extra 500k a year.

Dawgfan77
02-24-2021, 07:28 AM
Do you not think we offered the bank to him before he left??
Vic ain't coming back for several reason and one being our current AD. But he ain't leaving TX for us. So give it up

Jarius
02-24-2021, 07:48 AM
Offer him half a million more than he?s making. Crap even a million more. We have the money. And the money we are going to lose through our women?s bb program is gonna far outweigh an extra 500k a year.

If we “have the money” then we need to reallocate it so we don’t have 3 people doing the same job in football that Alabama has 15 people doing. Do you really not realize that we lose money on women’s basketball? Dumping money into a sport that no one gives a shit about is ridiculously stupid. It was fine to offer Vic a large contract to stay since he had built it into a giant and it gave a lot of good publicity to the school but we don’t need to go buy out a coach and take money away from sports that matter to fans just to try and recapture some lucky genie in a bottle shit in a sport that loses money even when they are elite. The only sports that make money at MSU are football, baseball, and men’s basketball. Those are the only sports we should be breaking the bank to try and get hires right. The minute we buy out a coach for losing in women’s basketball or any other non revenue producing sport is the minute we need a new AD.

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/The-Mississippi-State-athletic-department-budget-139822486/

basedog
02-24-2021, 08:23 AM
How many times has any Coach left any program and came back, not many. Vic is done at Msu, we all loved it when he was here, but now it's time to turn the page on him just like DM. I hope JC or whoever will do the hiring moving forward has a file full of potential candidates. I like just about everyone have lost interest in WBB, I still have a little for MBB, and a little more for football but we are a Baseball School.
The post about giving to Bulldog Club was interesting.

Dawgology
02-24-2021, 08:40 AM
Do you not think we offered the bank to him before he left??
Vic ain't coming back for several reason and one being our current AD. But he ain't leaving TX for us. So give it up

I keep hearing that. Did he and Cohen butt heads? If so...

StarkVegasSteve
02-24-2021, 09:42 AM
If we “have the money” then we need to reallocate it so we don’t have 3 people doing the same job in football that Alabama has 15 people doing. Do you really not realize that we lose money on women’s basketball? Dumping money into a sport that no one gives a shit about is ridiculously stupid. It was fine to offer Vic a large contract to stay since he had built it into a giant and it gave a lot of good publicity to the school but we don’t need to go buy out a coach and take money away from sports that matter to fans just to try and recapture some lucky genie in a bottle shit in a sport that loses money even when they are elite. The only sports that make money at MSU are football, baseball, and men’s basketball. Those are the only sports we should be breaking the bank to try and get hires right. The minute we buy out a coach for losing in women’s basketball or any other non revenue producing sport is the minute we need a new AD.

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/The-Mississippi-State-athletic-department-budget-139822486/

THANK YOU

Liverpooldawg
02-24-2021, 09:43 AM

Cut the budget for women's basketball and put it into football.

BiscuitEater
02-24-2021, 10:12 AM
How many times has any Coach left any program and came back, not many.

Yea, but Ron Polk did!

TrapGame
02-24-2021, 10:14 AM
Football and baseball should be priority for allocation of funds. Honestly, nobody really gives a shit about WBB. It was great when Vic was here but it's time to move on. Trying to find the equivalent of Nick Saban in women's BB is just wasting money. Put that money toward Leach keeping his asst. coaches.

trob115
02-24-2021, 11:20 AM
Vic ain't coming back. Too much stuff off the court, not related to the AD. Not gonna expound upon that any further, but let's just say off the court family stuff.

The Federalist Engineer
02-24-2021, 11:30 AM

Correct Jarius, Correct. Plus, we better not lose Lemonis, Gautreau, or Foxhall over money.

We should keep Nikki McCray Penson forever. Especially if she is cheap. Let her tweet like crazy.

It is sad that Cohen made Vic mad and he left us. No doubt.

KentuckyDawg13
02-24-2021, 11:50 AM
It's truly unbelievable we have MSU fans that think like this. Vic left, he's gone, get over it.

Cowbell
02-24-2021, 12:00 PM
Correct Jarius, Correct. Plus, we better not lose Lemonis, Gautreau, or Foxhall over money.

We should keep Nikki McCray Penson forever. Especially if she is cheap. Let her tweet like crazy.

I agree with the first part. On women's basketball money - after seeing this last season - we should just pay whoever to coach at 250k because that extra 500k ain't getting us any extra wins.

R2Dawg
02-24-2021, 12:20 PM
I agree with the first part. On women's basketball money - after seeing this last season - we should just pay whoever to coach at 250k because that extra 500k ain't getting us any extra wins.

True, that is what makes me mad wasted that much money on a losing program that we could use to build other programs. WBB is done now.

basedog
02-24-2021, 12:24 PM
Yea, but Ron Polk did!

+1

I did say few or not many, LOL!

viverlibre
02-24-2021, 01:11 PM
It's truly unbelievable we have MSU fans that think like this. Vic left, he's gone, get over it.

You do realize this is MSU fan message board? Likely the dumbest message board/social media posters in all of college athletics. We have fans who want to bring back Stanz and routinely rip current/former athletes and Starkville businesses to shreds.

Lord McBuckethead
02-24-2021, 01:21 PM

That and Bama has a brand new 10 million dollar recruiting suite for football. 10 million dollars! Just for a room where they take recruits. Combine that with the 15 people they have to break down literally every play a team runs along with scouting their own team. We going to lose forever.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-24-2021, 01:40 PM
Vic ain't coming back. Too much stuff off the court, not related to the AD. Not gonna expound upon that any further, but let's just say off the court family stuff.

I call BS on this... why would Texas take a chance with the same family stuff?

Cowbell
02-24-2021, 01:54 PM

Home is where the heart is....

trob115
02-24-2021, 01:55 PM

Because what was going on was a private matter. Nothing illegal by Vic or against NCAA rules. Literally off the court family issues.

StarkVegasSteve
02-24-2021, 02:02 PM
Because what was going on was a private matter. Nothing illegal by Vic or against NCAA rules. Literally off the court family issues.

This is 100% correct. Cohen and him had a couple issues on assistants but we would've worked through that. Cohen and Mississippi State had nothing to do with why Vic ultimately left. But it was good cover.

maroonmania
02-24-2021, 02:36 PM
True, that is what makes me mad wasted that much money on a losing program that we could use to build other programs. WBB is done now.

I personally don't consider it wasted money any time we spend on a sport that we can be consistently nationally relevant in. Outside of baseball we have never really had a 2nd sport where we could be nationally relevant until Vic brought us that in WBB. Looks like that is likely going away though. But we can spend until we are blue in the face and hire 50 additional recruiting people but we will still never be able to gain that kind of national relevance in football or men's BB. In those 2 sports there are just too many already established elite programs with much more history and much larger fanbases that are 'all in' to allow us to compete at a national level except maybe once in a blue moon where everything sort of lines up for us like in 2014. And all the NCAA rules currently in place (like the glut of football scholarships allowed) are helpful in keeping programs with their 'have' or 'have not' status in those sports because that's the way the PTB want it. So if Vic were still here keeping our WBB at the very top I would be fine with spending whatever but if we are headed back toward mediocrity then I really don't care if we spend much of anything on it.

Cooterpoot
02-24-2021, 02:42 PM

We could put every extra cent and every other sports budget into football and it wouldn't change a thing.

Homedawg
02-24-2021, 02:42 PM
This is 100% correct. Cohen and him had a couple issues on assistants but we would've worked through that. Cohen and Mississippi State had nothing to do with why Vic ultimately left. But it was good cover.

This!!!! Vic just used it to not look like the bad guy leaving. Vic wanted to be back in Texas.

Jarius
02-24-2021, 02:43 PM
I personally don't consider it wasted money any time we spend on a sport that we can be consistently nationally relevant in. Outside of baseball we have never really had a 2nd sport where we could be nationally relevant until Vic brought us that in WBB. Looks like that is likely going away though. But we can spend until we are blue in the face and hire 50 additional recruiting people but we will still never be able to gain that kind of national relevance in football or men's BB. In those 2 sports there are just too many already established elite programs with much more history and much larger fanbases that are 'all in' to allow us to compete at a national level except maybe once in a blue moon where everything sort of lines up for us like in 2014. And all the NCAA rules currently in place (like the glut of football scholarships allowed) are helpful in keeping programs with their 'have' or 'have not' status in those sports because that's the way the PTB want it. So if Vic were still here keeping our WBB at the very top I would be fine with spending whatever but if we are headed back toward mediocrity then I really don't care if we spend much of anything on it.

If we spend an extra 500K on football every year and it means we win an average of 1 more game per year than we would have if we did not spend that money I would rather do that than win a national championship in (insert irrelevant sport).we currently pay Mason Smith about 35K a year. That’s not going to cut it. We may never be nationally relevant in football but we need to do everything possible to catch lightning in a bottle once or twice more than we could have. I would like to see us win a conference title in football before I die. Women’s basketball is something I will be proud of when we are good but it’s not worth taking money away from sports that matter to me. JMHO.

Jarius
02-24-2021, 02:46 PM
That and Bama has a brand new 10 million dollar recruiting suite for football. 10 million dollars! Just for a room where they take recruits. Combine that with the 15 people they have to break down literally every play a team runs along with scouting their own team. We going to lose forever.

Which is why I laugh when people say “we have the money, just spend it”. No we don?t. If we did we wouldn’t be that far behind in sports that matter (outside of baseball).

maroonmania
02-24-2021, 02:46 PM
We could put every extra cent and every other sports budget into football and it wouldn't change a thing.

Absolutely, can't believe fans are so willing to just throw away a program we were competing for national championships in. For football we play for a nice bowl destination and in men's BB we play for a ticket to the NCAA tournament. That's it, nothing more nothing less and I don't really see that changing much no matter what we do.

Jarius
02-24-2021, 02:51 PM

Bull. There comes a point to where you get diminishing returns on having money. We aren’t there yet, but the big time schools are there. We will eventually start making up ground on them because there is only so many things you can do when you update everything and hire all of you off field people. If we put an extra couple of million a year into football on top of the natural growth we get from sec contract money each year we would make up some ground. We will never make up enough ground to turn into an elite program but we can get closer with more money.

Jarius
02-24-2021, 02:54 PM
Absolutely, can't believe fans are so willing to just throw away a program we were competing for national championships in. For football we play for a nice bowl destination and in men's BB we play for a ticket to the NCAA tournament. That's it, nothing more nothing less and I don't really see that changing much no matter what we do.

Most people don’t care about watching a sport where 90 % of intramural teams in the Sanderson center could Beat the national champion in a pickup game. That’s why our elite team still costed our school money. People don’t pay to watch mediocre athletes, even if those mediocre athletes are a lot better than the athletes they are competing against.

maroonmania
02-24-2021, 03:13 PM
Most people don’t care about watching a sport where 90 % of intramural teams in the Sanderson center could Beat the national champion in a pickup game. That’s why our elite team still costed our school money. People don’t pay to watch mediocre athletes, even if those mediocre athletes are a lot better than the athletes they are competing against.

I don't know the exact numbers but I would assume baseball cost us money as well. If it doesn't its only because the NCAA doesn't allow hardly any baseball scholarships so we have a lot of players footing their own bill to play. But I will agree I only care about WBB if its something we can compete in nationally. If we are going to be run of the mill then I could not care less about it. I still don't see us making much headway in football because its going to be so hard just to break into the top half of the SEC and stay there. We can make ground up nationally but when you are still in the back half of your own conference I'm not sure what good that does you.

maroonmania
02-24-2021, 03:18 PM
I would like to see us win a conference title in football before I die.

I guess I've already made peace with myself that Kevin Prentiss's punt return against TN in the 98 SECCG is the closest I will ever come to seeing us win a conference title in football in my lifetime.

Jarius
02-24-2021, 03:19 PM
I don't know the exact numbers but I would assume baseball cost us money as well. If it doesn't its only because the NCAA doesn't allow hardly any baseball scholarships so we have a lot of players footing their own bill to play. But I will agree I only care about WBB if its something we can compete in nationally. If we are going to be run of the mill then I could not care less about it. I still don't see us making much headway in football because its going to be so hard just to break into the top half of the SEC and stay there. We can make ground up nationally but when you are still in the back half of your own conference I'm not sure what good that does you.

I posted an article in this thread on the first page that shows the only 2 sports that make us money are baseball and football. Men’s basketball could if they were good so we need to continue to invest in that. I just believe we need to invest everything we can into the sports that the most people care about and the most people care about are sports that make the school money. Going off and spending an extra million dollars to bribe our old coach back to a sport that loses money when they play in multiple national championships in a few years time is just not smart or fair to the fans who have made their voice heard with their pocket books that these sports are what they truly care about.

maroonmania
02-24-2021, 03:30 PM
Irritating part is I bet we could have hired Johnnie Harris as HC for less money than what we are paying NMP and still would have probably gotten much better results.

The Federalist Engineer
02-24-2021, 03:44 PM
I guess I've already made peace with myself that Kevin Prentiss's punt return against TN in the 98 SECCG is the closest I will ever come to seeing us win a conference title in football in my lifetime.

We need a bulldog fan contingent to go sell their soul to the devil and it could happen. I?m a practicing Catholic so that?s a firm no from me. But we probably have many modern secular humanists that don?t even believe in god, these boys just need to make the deal, take one for the team.

By the way, we got closer than KPs return in Atlanta. We once had Cam Newton ringing a cowbell and verbally committed.

The Federalist Engineer
02-24-2021, 03:50 PM
Irritating part is I bet we could have hired Johnnie Harris as HC for less money than what we are paying NMP and still would have probably gotten much better results.

If JC were an options trader, he would have recognized the free option of getting the candidate already under contract. Let Johnnie win her permanent placement. That’s how Clemson lucked into Dabo.

Cooterpoot
02-24-2021, 04:14 PM
I posted an article in this thread on the first page that shows the only 2 sports that make us money are baseball and football. Men?s basketball could if they were good so we need to continue to invest in that. I just believe we need to invest everything we can into the sports that the most people care about and the most people care about are sports that make the school money. Going off and spending an extra million dollars to bribe our old coach back to a sport that loses money when they play in multiple national championships in a few years time is just not smart or fair to the fans who have made their voice heard with their pocket books that these sports are what they truly care about.

I mean, we aren't in the same galaxy as several blue bloods and lesser teams money wise. Then you've got the whole Title 9 situation you can't get around. It's simply not possible.

Coach34
02-24-2021, 06:57 PM

Me too. That moment in the Georgia Dome was the happiest Ive ever been as a Dawg- and 23 years later I realize that was the pinnacle for me as a State fan. I'll never forget us running out of the tunnel before kickoff. It was better than in 91 when we won the SEC basketball title in Starkville over LSU

Jarius
02-24-2021, 08:05 PM
Me too. That moment in the Georgia Dome was the happiest Ive ever been as a Dawg- and 23 years later I realize that was the pinnacle for me as a State fan. I'll never forget us running out of the tunnel before kickoff. It was better than in 91 when we won the SEC basketball title in Starkville over LSU

I was there as well. 14 years old. If only I had known then what being a State fan was really like. My dad constantly told me to “not get used to this”. He’s never been more right.

Jarius
02-24-2021, 08:13 PM
I mean, we aren't in the same galaxy as several blue bloods and lesser teams money wise. Then you've got the whole Title 9 situation you can't get around. It's simply not possible.

We may can get a level above where we are. We can get to the point to where we are paying our best off the field recruiter more than 35K a year. We can get to where we are at least hiring half the off the field staff as the blue bloods. That won’t make us Alabama but it could make us have Auburn success one day. Maybe not. I don’t care about women’s basketball and neither does anyone else. That’s why they lose money. Wanting to pay top dollar for a women’s basketball coach is insane. Maybe pouring as much money as we can into football won’t give us one single extra win than we otherwise would doing it the current way. I would rather die trying than to just accept our place in the basement in the sport that this state and our fanbase lives and breathes. So would most everyone else judging by how much gets donated to football.

Topbulldawg
02-24-2021, 08:18 PM

What is family issues in TX? I have an educated guess.

RocketDawg
02-24-2021, 08:30 PM

She's not cheap. We're paying her $750K.

Medic601
02-24-2021, 08:34 PM

Why does everyone want to feel as if they are elite and in the know? ?I?m not gonna expound on it any further....?. Oh shut up and quit acting like you have some elite knowledge you are going to dangle in the face of the peasants and they are going to beg you for info. That?s pathetic.

AlSwearengen
02-24-2021, 08:40 PM
Why do we seem to have so many coaches and a.d.?s with some type of ?issue?? Polk was probably our most loyal successful coach but even he had ?issues? (eccentric and a hard on for the ncaa that affected our program) and tried to burn the house down on his way out the door.

We seem to have a lot of drama.

R2Dawg
02-24-2021, 08:44 PM

Yeah paying her about 500K too much.

maroonmania
02-24-2021, 10:03 PM
Yeah paying her about 500K too much.

Based on what we are doing with the talent we have this year you are being very generous. I'm thinking probably more like 700K too much.

Maroonthirteen
02-24-2021, 10:11 PM
People leave places.

Vic ain't coming back.

The Federalist Engineer
02-25-2021, 02:37 AM

Whopper!

That pay means she was expected to keep us elite in WBB from day one. Our JC got schooled and mauled by the agent of WBB coach? Sad.

DeltaChicagoDog
02-25-2021, 06:23 AM
Why do we seem to have so many coaches and a.d.?s with some type of ?issue?? Polk was probably our most loyal successful coach but even he had ?issues? (eccentric and a hard on for the ncaa that affected our program) and tried to burn the house down on his way out the door.

We seem to have a lot of drama.

To paraphrase Matt Wyatt, to make it as a coach at that level you either have to be one of the most phenomenal people to walk the face of the earth or a big-time asshole. Either way, you have to be all about yourself and that implies a good deal of narcissism. Coaches with their outsize egos and their families with fireplace money and everyone bowing and scraping before them...Of course trouble seems to follow them. How could it not? Reminds me of politicians. They get off on it. Granted, some of them are phenomenal human beings and personal foibles aside they are generally really good leaders. People tend to think a lot of people who think a lot of themselves. Ever heard Urban Meyer talk? Even with everything known about him, it's no wonder why players would run through a brick wall for him. And this stuff is almost everywhere. We're just more aware of it here in our own backyard.

BiscuitEater
02-25-2021, 06:32 AM
That's it, nothing more nothing less and I don't really see that changing much no matter what we do.

Except, you completely dismissed baseball! MSU plays in the best stadium in the country!

PGHBulldogBG
02-25-2021, 06:47 AM
I was there as well. 14 years old. If only I had known then what being a State fan was really like. My dad constantly told me to “not get used to this”. He’s never been more right.

I was 11 and this was the year I became a state fan and then the 99 Egg Bowl solidified my fan hood. Ended up going 800 miles from home to go to college at state. Best moment for me was still Auburn 2014 and getting that number 1 ranking. People do forget only Bama, Clemson, OSU, LSU and Miss State are the only 5 teams to ever hold a #1 ranking since the CFB rankings came out.

RocketDawg
02-25-2021, 08:36 AM
Whopper!

That pay means she was expected to keep us elite in WBB from day one. Our JC got schooled and mauled by the agent of WBB coach? Sad.

Yes, I think she was expected to keep us elite. The same article that said she was being paid $750K said Vic's first year was $250K (which is still a lot of money if it's truly a non-revenue sport). I think when he left it was something like $1.5M, which was just for fan interest - not paying its own way.

maroonmania
02-25-2021, 10:32 AM
Except, you completely dismissed baseball! MSU plays in the best stadium in the country!

That post had absolutely no reference to baseball at all.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-25-2021, 10:42 AM
Why does everyone want to feel as if they are elite and in the know? ?I?m not gonna expound on it any further....?. Oh shut up and quit acting like you have some elite knowledge you are going to dangle in the face of the peasants and they are going to beg you for info. That?s pathetic.

You want that info bad don't you?

dawgfan016
02-25-2021, 10:47 AM

This is correct.

R2Dawg
02-25-2021, 01:23 PM
Yes, I think she was expected to keep us elite. The same article that said she was being paid $750K said Vic's first year was $250K (which is still a lot of money if it's truly a non-revenue sport). I think when he left it was something like $1.5M, which was just for fan interest - not paying its own way.

Yep, NMP even said so herself. She didn't have to build anything just keep it going. She has to be in a crisis of belief right now about where she is in her career. Hope she reads the writing on the wall. Make some major changes and reinvent yourself or the end is coming. Bad thing is if she don't, she'll take MSU down with her.

The Federalist Engineer
02-25-2021, 01:52 PM
Yep, NMP even said so herself. She didn't have to build anything just keep it going. She has to be in a crisis of belief right now about where she is in her career. Hope she reads the writing on the wall. Make some major changes and reinvent yourself or the end is coming. Bad thing is if she don't, she'll take MSU down with her.

Basketball seems like a easy program to wreck. Players can all hit the portal and go. She only has One Mississippi girl.

Who would not want Vic Shaeffer recruits? Seems they would be coveted by many winning and traditional programs.

IMissJack
02-25-2021, 06:31 PM

If we have the money, then why not put it in the best football assistants we can get and possibly make more money on the only sport that really breaks even?

Gypsy_RoadDawg
02-26-2021, 06:55 AM

I saw that KP punt return also and you are probably right.