View Full Version : Pujols to retire

parabrave
02-23-2021, 12:07 PM
Wished he would play longer to get the HR record.

Tbonewannabe
02-23-2021, 12:45 PM
Best player for about a decade in the National League. Amazing career.

parabrave
02-23-2021, 12:51 PM
Best player for about a decade in the National League. Amazing career.

Don't forget what he did with the Angels. But when he was with the Cards he was the best.

Really Clark?
02-23-2021, 01:03 PM
Wished he would play longer to get the HR record.

He?s too far away to get the record at 40. Would take him at least 5 more years to break it

Commercecomet24
02-23-2021, 02:06 PM
Was just a truly dominant hitter for a long time and could do all the little things too. Great base runner and most people don't know this but he was a great hunter too.

Todd4State
02-23-2021, 04:27 PM
Don't be surprised if he hangs around long enough to get to 700.

HereComesTheSpiral
02-23-2021, 05:54 PM
Don't be surprised if he hangs around long enough to get to 700.

I didn't realize Angel Stadium was considered a pitcher's park, I could see Pujols making the rounds of AL teams at the minimum salary going for bond's record.

Lord McBuckethead
02-23-2021, 06:56 PM
He would have 40 more homers right now if he would hqve just stayed in St Louis. He should be a HOF guy. Hope he does hang around as a DH long enough to get the record.

Rex54
02-23-2021, 07:35 PM
He should be a HOF guy.

Understatement of the year

Matt3467
02-23-2021, 08:14 PM
He was amazing in STL but when he left he was average. Reminds me of Ken Griffey Jr after he left Seattle. He just wasn't the same.

Really Clark?
02-23-2021, 11:27 PM
He was amazing in STL but when he left he was average. Reminds me of Ken Griffey Jr after he left Seattle. He just wasn't the same.

Not really, Jr. had a ton of injuries that severely limited his playing time and AB?s his time in Cin. Especially during his first 5 seasons. Pujols didn?t hardly ever miss games outside of 2013 when he played in 99 games that season.

Todd4State
02-24-2021, 12:11 AM
I didn't realize Angel Stadium was considered a pitcher's park, I could see Pujols making the rounds of AL teams at the minimum salary going for bond's record.

I'd like to see him go to Kansas City for a year since that is where he lived for awhile or if they have a universal DH- St. Louis. But that's fantasy.

I think he made a mistake when he left the Cardinals. He probably would have replaced Musial as the greatest Cardinal of all time. He would have been with a much better team with a better overall surrounding cast- and yes, I know Mike Trout plays for the Angels so I'm not saying the cupboard was totally bare there or anything like that. The Angels tend to get a lot of players that are past their prime and have "names" and they don't rely on player development enough. Would have had Matt Holliday in his prime for a few years as well as some guys like Matt Carpenter in his prime to drive in not to mention that the Cardinals typically have solid pitching.

I don't totally fault him- Mo handled that poorly IMO trying to look cute and smart. I would have been fine if they basically went up to Pujols with a blank check and said what do you want? Instead they tried to give him a short contract with a high AAV.

I'll say this too- Pujols is the best first baseman of all time. Will hit close to 700 home runs which is around Willie Mays territory, could hit for average, was a very good baserunner even though he wasn't fast and won some gold gloves at first.

parabrave
02-24-2021, 02:01 AM

Junior tore his shoulder up and never was the same. Tom Glavine cost him the single season HR Record/

parabrave
02-24-2021, 02:02 AM
I'd like to see him go to Kansas City for a year since that is where he lived for awhile or if they have a universal DH- St. Louis. But that's fantasy.

I think he made a mistake when he left the Cardinals. He probably would have replaced Musial as the greatest Cardinal of all time. He would have been with a much better team with a better overall surrounding cast- and yes, I know Mike Trout plays for the Angels so I'm not saying the cupboard was totally bare there or anything like that. The Angels tend to get a lot of players that are past their prime and have "names" and they don't rely on player development enough. Would have had Matt Holliday in his prime for a few years as well as some guys like Matt Carpenter in his prime to drive in not to mention that the Cardinals typically have solid pitching.

I don't totally fault him- Mo handled that poorly IMO trying to look cute and smart. I would have been fine if they basically went up to Pujols with a blank check and said what do you want? Instead they tried to give him a short contract with a high AAV.

I'll say this too- Pujols is the best first baseman of all time. Will hit close to 700 home runs which is around Willie Mays territory, could hit for average, was a very good baserunner even though he wasn't fast and won some gold gloves at first.

He is at Willie Mays mark now.

Rex54
02-24-2021, 03:42 AM
I'll say this too- Pujols is the best first baseman of all time.

Henry Louis Gehrig still way out front