PDA

View Full Version : My response to all this "mediocrity" bullshit

Coach34
11-10-2013, 11:58 AM
As a State fan- you dont know what "mediocrity" is

We are a program that had 8 winning seasons- EIGHT- in the 25 years before Mullen. That is 17 losing seasons out of 25. Is that mediocrity? Hell no it isnt. We are just now learning and elevating ourselves to the mediocre level. We have had 16 winning seasons in the last 50 years- that's 34 losing seasons out of 50- and you want to be mad because we have the possibility to slip under 6-6 this year? There are ebbs and flows to coaching tenures, teams dont keep constantly going up. Bear Bryant went 6-5 in year 12- YEAR 12. How can that happen? It was YEAR 12??? Didnt he have time to see that his team was going to have problems? Bobby Bowden went 6-5 in his 6th season at Fla State- with Florida talent. Was his program bottoming out? I could go on and on- but you get the jest of what I'm saying. Mediocrity is a welcome change to the shit this program has been the last 50 years.

Mullen isnt perfect, but other teams make the same mistakes we make. We blocked a FG vs LSU remember? Other teams get punts blocked. Other teams waste time-outs because players get lined up wrong- especially those playing alot of younger players. We have 20 Sophs and Freshmen playing significant amounts of plays on both sides of the ball. Thats why we make mistakes, thats why we are up and down, and that is also why we are getting better as the season plays out. We have a tough one coming Saturday, and then we really get to see where this team is the last 2 weeks of the season.

You have to simply let this season play out and we will see where we are. If we finish 4-8, then obviously a change could possibly happen. I'm just not going to freak out until that happens. Too many of you are freaking out running around going all Chicken Little. As I said, I still think this team beats UPig and OM. But if things dont play out well for us, you Hud-Lovers better have a list that doesnt have Hud on it- because he is looking more and more unlikely at this point. His name is out there for much bigger programs than ours. The ULL people know he is gone after this season- they are even starting to make a list of coaching candidates.

It's just funny watching State fans freak out about being something we have never been for more than 3-4 years in the Modern Era- mediocre. History proves how hard it is just to be mediocre at State. 16 winning seasons in the last 50 years- remember that.

Behrdawg
11-10-2013, 12:03 PM
If I weren't so hungover I'd post an applause gif.

Drugdog
11-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Spot on.

cheewgumm
11-10-2013, 12:05 PM
If you believe that then you can't think he should be in any danger even
If we lose out, right?

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Agree

Political Hack
11-10-2013, 12:12 PM
If you believe that then you can't think he should be in any danger even
If we lose out, right?

pretty sure C34 and I have both said on multiple occasions that the season should play out before making any judgements.

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
The rising tide that is the SEC has lifted all boats. Are we performing better BECAUSE of Mullen or because we are an SEC team that has now the significant resource advantage over crappy teams that we used to lose to? I am one of those people who think it's not particularly hard to not lose to Bowling Green, UAB, Troy, etc. I don't think "not losing" to those teams is something that should be seen as a resume' enhancer; it should be a given.

My problem with Mullen is twofold: (1) against teams equal to or better than us (I'm not talking about the name of the program, I'm talking the actual team they're fielding that year), I don't expect us to keep it close; and (2) in the few scenarios we do keep it close, I expect head-scratching decisions that leave us with yet another "almost had 'em."

basedog
11-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Very good points by 34, the thing is a lot of the post on here are from folks who don't know or care to understand our history!

Let the season play out, firing a coach after three straight winning seasons is retarded, who knows, maybe Mullen gets another job for you anti-haters.

Will James
11-10-2013, 12:18 PM
What does history have anything to do with now? Circumstances are VASTLY different.

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Since records are all that matter why in the hell did we fire Stans? He consistently took us to the post season and was the best in the west. Turnover in players in basketball is a lot faster in basketball than football so he would have a different set of players after the cancers were off the team.

We fired Stans and he was a lot more successful than Mullen.

Coach34
11-10-2013, 12:22 PM
What does history have anything to do with now? Circumstances are VASTLY different.

not really

The SEC was always a prime conference
We are still way behind the Big Six in money- A&M makes it the Big Seven now with their 450 million stadium renovation.
Starkville is still a small, out of the way town with no coordinated, centralized nightlife.
Our administration still has too much Good Ol Boy mentality in it

Coach34
11-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Since records are all that matter why in the hell did we fire Stans? .

Because the basketball program was becoming a national embarassment

cheewgumm
11-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Sorry I was responding to the post above explaining that we've never been any good and should
Not expect anything more, etc etc

Then there were the posts about one down year, Etc...etc.

The logical conclusion is that you wouldn't fire someone after one down year if he has taken us
To all these bowls and brought us up to mediocrity.

So is that what you are saying that if we go 4-8 you want to stay the course?

pretty sure C34 and I have both said on multiple occasions that the season should play out before making any judgements.

cheewgumm
11-10-2013, 12:26 PM
" mediocrity" was precisely the case you made to get rid of Stan's.

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 12:30 PM
" mediocrity" was precisely the case you made to get rid of Stan's.

and I do not recall for certain, but I am pretty sure a large part of the argument discounted how he was significantly outperforming our basketball history.

But I do know for sure that part of it was that people were fruitlessly waiting for Stans to do again what he did in 2004. Seems to me that people are fruitlessly waiting for Mullen to do again what he did in 2010, but hey what do I know

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 12:34 PM

You were calling for Stan's head before that fight.

DawgsBite34

Agreed. I get sick and tired of hearing this same ol bullshit argument about how our history sucks as an excuse to keep Mullen. That team we put out there yesterday and last week was plenty good enough to win both games, if we would've gave SC Mullen and we get Spurrier we would've blown them out at their place.

32 Dive
I approve of this message

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 12:42 PM
What a puss thread.

Our history sucks so anything better than pure suck should be celebrated!!1!***

Garbage.

You can do better than this. Just say you're scared to get rid of him...that's better than this trash.

DawgsBite34
11-10-2013, 12:43 PM
What a puss thread.

Garbage.

You can do better than this. Just say you're scared to get rid of him...that's better than this trash.

GOLD

ckDOG
11-10-2013, 12:46 PM
More numbers to consider.

I'm actually counting 9 winning seasons in the first 25 seasons. That's a 36% winning season rate. Mullen has the luxury of a 12 game schedule with 4 cupcakes that most of those schedules didn't have. Mullen is very likely looking at a 50% winning record percentage after this yr. I'm also counting 4, 5-6 seasons in that 25 yr span. Suppose we scheduled another cupcake for that 12th game in those seasons. It's very reasonable to have expected a 6th win in those seasons and a bowl game if you use Mullen's bowl environment. So, we go 6-6 and a bowl W in those 4 seasons and the wining season rate goes up to 52 percent. Assume 2, and we are at 44%.

Food for thought.

Coach34
11-10-2013, 12:53 PM

I've already said I'm letting the season play out- I don't think I can be any clearer

Apoplectic
11-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I could stomach another year if it wasn't for the lack of a plan during our 2 minute drills, dead weight whitley, bell, and eulls getting most of the pt, and the biggest red light of us declining year over year.

Dawgface
11-10-2013, 12:55 PM
What a puss thread.

Garbage.

GOLD

No, platinum.

DawgsBite34
11-10-2013, 12:57 PM
No, platinum.

Double Platinum

Coach34
11-10-2013, 12:59 PM
More numbers to consider.

I'm actually counting 9 winning seasons in the first 25 seasons. That's a 36% winning season rate. Mullen has the luxury of a 12 game schedule with 4 cupcakes that most of those schedules didn't have. Mullen is very likely looking at a 50% winning record percentage after this yr. I'm also counting 4, 5-6 seasons in that 25 yr span. Suppose we scheduled another cupcake for that 12th game in those seasons. It's very reasonable to have expected a 6th win in those seasons and a bowl game if you use Mullen's bowl environment. So, we go 6-6 and a bowl W in those 4 seasons and the wining season rate goes up to 52 percent. Assume 2, and we are at 44%.

Food for thought.

Here's the problem- there were no cupcakes before. And in the 80's- we only played 6 SEC games per season

Crooms was abused by Conference USA
Jackie never beat La Tech, tied Ark State, lost to Tulane, Ok State, Memphis, Air Force
Rockey struggled to beat everyone
Bellard did too

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Here's the problem- there were no cupcakes before. And in the 80's- we only played 6 SEC games per season

Jackie never beat La Tech, tied Ark State, lost to Tulane, Ok State, Memphis, Air Force
Bellard did too

Do you not think any of our recent success against these teams is attributable to the fact that they are now a victim of the resource gap?

ckDOG
11-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Bellard did too

All true. Extra game is an extra game though. It must be considered.

Apoplectic
11-10-2013, 01:08 PM

…….well unless it doesn't support your argument. how long can we keep this dead fish on ice?

stxdawg
11-10-2013, 01:12 PM
We have 20 Sophs and Freshmen playing significant amounts of plays on both sides of the ball.

This is where I am able to rationalize this season. We are young, but growing up quick with a lot of talent that will be getting better as we finish out the season. After watching us play last night I am convinced we will be surprising a lot of folks next year. Heck, we may play it close with Bama, then win the rest of the way.

As frustrating as this season has been, I will continue to give our team and staff the patience and support they need.

engie
11-10-2013, 01:14 PM
I've already said I'm letting the season play out- I don't think I can be any clearer

If you were letting the season play out, you wouldn't be taking a stance already...

Jacksondevildog
11-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Mediocrity for MSU in hoops and mediocrity for MSU in football (in the SEC) are two totally different things. Coach34 has addressed this multiple times and I agree.

was21
11-10-2013, 01:16 PM
not really

The SEC was always a prime conference
We are still way behind the Big Six in money- A&M makes it the Big Seven now with their 450 million stadium renovation.
Starkville is still a small, out of the way town with no coordinated, centralized nightlife.
Our administration still has too much Good Ol Boy mentality in it

You are exactly right. Now you've said it..and this is very significant when viewing our football program. It is what it is. I actually believe many of these posters are simply too young to have experienced what "down" is. If their expectations are that we are going to be the next Alabama (or a number of other SEC programs) then they are about to be on the road to alcoholism if they take it seriously.

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Auburn and UM will have just as much returning. So pencil in those losses in with the normal losses. A&M might have a down year losing jff so we might have a chance.

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 01:17 PM
You are exactly right. Now you've said it..and this is very significant when viewing our football program. It is what it is. I actually believe many of these posters are simply too young to have experienced what "down" is. If their expectations are that we are going to be the next Alabama (or a number of other SEC programs) then they are about to be on the road to alcoholism if they take it seriously.

"We're not going to be the next Alabama" is the biggest straw man argument in this whole debate.

Coach34
11-10-2013, 01:18 PM

ok then consider an extra conference game in- because for 9-10 of those 25 years we were playing 5 OOC's and 6 SEC games. We moved to 8 SEC games in 1992.

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Mediocrity for MSU in hoops and mediocrity for MSU in football (in the SEC) are two totally different things. Coach34 has addressed this multiple times and I agree.
So being mediocre in a good conference is better than being very good in a mediocre conference?

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 01:21 PM
ok then consider an extra conference game in- because for 9-10 of those 25 years we were playing 5 OOC's and 6 SEC games. We moved to 8 SEC games in 1992.
I didnt realize UM was being successful from that bowl run before intergration.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Yea, because EVERYBODY is saying they think we will "be the next Bama".***

Good grief. So if we don't want to see us fall back to the depths of Croom or worse...we are "expecting us to become Bama"?

This thread is ridiculous. You people want to tell anybody that feels like the program is slipping, that they are young and stupid because we have been much worse, but they can just as easily turn around and say, "no, you morons, we are smart enough to see things slipping, and we enjoy being better than our history so much that we don't want to see things get away from us before making a change." Just because you don't see the slide that many of us are seeing, or because you are choosing to ignore the terrible coaching, doesn't make people that DO see it Wrong! It just doesn't. That's why this thread and this point of view is so ignorant to me...especially acting like it is fact, because it is far far from it.

Jacksondevildog
11-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Mediocre in the sec in hoops means NIT or no postseason. Mediocre in the SEC in football means a bowl and just on the outside of the top 25, year in year out.