PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Perspective Edition

Coach34
11-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Our first trip to College Station...what a trip after a tough week for our starting QB. Young man went through the toughest week of his life, and then had a showdown with Manziel. Very tall task.

Offense

We started Russell because of the circumstances Dakota went thru this week. He missed some practices and alot of film and prep work. Not to mention he had to be somewhat emotionally drained. I think it was the right move by Mullen overall, but it was a move that certainly hurt us in the game. We had 3 wasted series with Russell in the 1st half and that was something we couldnt afford to do and win the football game. Our offense getting off to a slow start really hurt us in the game. I knew we would wear them down- but we had to have a faster start.

JRob comes in and goes 51 yards on his 1st carry of the game. Got 5 more the rest of the game. FIVE. CINCO. How in the ****ing **** does this continue to happen? Perkins 17/55, JRob 6/73. I understand playing the Sr when its close, but this one aint close. I cant say it enough- Perkins should be our 3rd down and medium/long RB. JRob should be 1st and 2nd down. My wife, who knows as much about football as your average Iranian Terrorist, saw Robinson on one carry and said- "Boy he runs hard". EVERYBODY can see it. Why do we continue to play Perkins ahead of him- or at the very least- get them about equal carries??????? (funniest thing I read all day was a poster that said- "I want to beat Dan to death with LDP"...I feel ya brother...I feel ya)

We only scored 7 points off the 3 turnovers we caused vs Johnny SoapOpera. Got to capitalize when we get those chances.

Have you ever been more proud of the effort our QB played with? I knew when I went and saw the kid play his Sr year in HS that he was a talented guy that was going to be the best QB we have ever had. But wow- had no idea of the character and heart this guy has. He left everything he had on that field yesterday- everything. I dont know if he was hurt as much as he was just a little beat up and physically exhausted. Hopefully he hasnt hurt his ribs or anything nagging like that that will hamper him going forward.

We outgained a top 15 opponent for the 2nd week in a row 556-537- . Amazing how much better the offense is now that we have the QB that fits the system. The offense under Dakota is getting better- and the younger guys are starting to get up to speed. 299 yards rushing on 43 attempts- and we still didnt run it enough. We should have gone Auburn-style and gotten to 60 carries. Just run the QB less. We didnt run any speed option, counter, or the QB trap. Why Dano?

The trick play we ran was prefect- great playcall. Good pass by Jameon. And Stonehands finally caught the big one.

Bear Willson is starting to get this shit figured out a little bit. Holloway is not, If his little ass had kept running, he would have been hit in stride for a TD by Dakota.

Defense

It's unusual to give up 51 points and be able to say that your defense wasnt terrible- but that was the case yesterday. We got pressure on Manziel- sacking him 3 times for big losses. We intercepted 3 passes. We were knocking their ass off when we could finally catch them. But they simply have the best QB and WR I've ever seen in college football. Those two guys are simply amazing- and they have other 4 and 5-star talent out there as well- making that offense the best college football has ever seen. They are shredding SEC defenses. The way Manziel is able to make plays when the original play has broken down is amazing. They are going to miss those two guys next year- but I wont.

Jucos gonna Juco. We take the ball down and score making it 30-20, get some momentum back, so what do we do? Take Love and Redmond out to play Cox and Jiles. Cox immediately gets burned for an 80 yard pass. Cox is not playing to his talent, the light bulb just hasnt clicked on yet. And it's hurting us. Been a big disappointment for me this year.

Teams auto-look for Whitley when they go 5-wide or when we go Man. You can count on them to find his guy for a big play. He did make a huge interception when we were in Man-Free though. But he couldnt cover me right now. Could Cox not play this position?

Prevent before half struck again. How does Love get beat deep playing soft before half? Love has been our best CB, but damn that can't happen in that spot.

Special Teams

82 got the punt blocked- got caught looking inside and didnt check off his right side quick enough when nothing showed inside. That cant happen
KO coverage has to be better- we need to kick it out of the end zone or kick it higher to help our coverage guys.
Below average day by Bell punting
Some critical mistakes here hurt- but this bunch has been solid this year. Got to do better.

Overall, Saturday went as I expected it to. They are just a better football team than we are and they were at home. We have a young team that is continuing to get better. That means they are coached and the players are responding. Damn near all of you expected a blowout- and that didnt happen. So stop with the bullshit.

Hail State

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 11:42 AM
I will admit I didn't expect to score 41 against A&M. All that said, they had 3 turnovers and still scored 51. I refuse to say our offense is arrived or we're well-coached because we played the SEC's worst defense in most statistical categories. And third, moral victories and the "we're just so young" card in the 5th year of a coach are terrible signs.

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 11:56 AM
So pretty much if Dan gets his head out of his ass we might be pretty good. Wow we actually coached an entire game trying to win.

blacklistedbully
11-10-2013, 12:02 PM
I did not expect a blowout. In fact, I predicted we'd score 42 points, that Lewis would get his 3rd passing TD, that we'd pressure JFF and force him into some t/o's. I predicted their defense would have as much or more trouble stoppng our offense as ours would have stopping theirs.

I wound up being partially wrong on the "stopping theirs" part. We DID gain more, but lost in the all important category of points allowed. Anotehr area I was wrong was believing that Mullen had FINALLY learned how stupid it is to put TR & LP in the backfoeld alone. I NEVER thought we'd try again to run LP up the middle or let TR run it on 3rd & short. I honestly thought Dan would make it through this game without making stupid play-calls. Wrong again.

That said, I did say that if Dak started and mostly played and we gave more playing time to JRob, we'd beat them 42-38. Had that occured, I think we woudl have won.

All-in-all, I was pretty damn close to being right.

I needed to see Dan call a nearly pefect game today to stay on the fence. He shit the bed again in many ways, so now I don't care if we do beat Arky & OM, I'm ready for a change. Oh, & is there anyone in the NCAA worse at clock-management than Dan, other than Les Miles? I simply do not understand how ANY HC can be that bad at something as simple, obvious & crucial as clock-management.

Coach34
11-10-2013, 12:02 PM
And third, moral victories and the "we're just so young" card in the 5th year of a coach are terrible signs.

Yeah, Bobby Bowden having a down 6th season at Fla State spelled doom for him too**

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Yeah, Bobby Bowden having a down 6th season at Fla State spelled doom for him too**

You realize you sound just like the people that argued with you all those years you said we should fire Stans. You were saying that a long time before the fight in the stands.

I seen it dawg
11-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Can anyone tell me where in the **** is Swedenburg? Did he get deported?

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Can anyone tell me where in the **** is Swedenburg? Did he get deported?

He won't take carries away from Perkins but he sure as hell will bench a Ray Guy nominated punter.

t45fixer
11-10-2013, 12:35 PM
In Mullen we trust??????? Do we still believe??????

DawgsBite34
11-10-2013, 12:42 PM
I will admit I didn't expect to score 41 against A&M. All that said, they had 3 turnovers and still scored 51. I refuse to say our offense is arrived or we're well-coached because we played the SEC's worst defense in most statistical categories. And third, moral victories and the "we're just so young" card in the 5th year of a coach are terrible signs.
GOLD

Coach34
11-10-2013, 01:02 PM
You realize you sound just like the people that argued with you all those years you said we should fire Stans. You were saying that a long time before the fight in the stands.

Basketball and Football are two different animals

We rank in the top half of the SEC in titles- Football hasnt won one since 1941.
We are in the top 2/3 in NCAA appearances- we are last in bowl appearances

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 01:33 PM

We rank in the top half of the SEC in titles- Football hasnt won one since 1941.
So UM is a better job because they won games before integration? Vandy has less bowl games.

Bullmutt
11-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Question: Is the Jameon reverse pass back to the QB or down field the only "trick" play we have, other than, now, the jump pass? I know it's an oversimplification, but it seems in every game we only use variations of the same 7-10 plays over and over again. It often seems our opponents know exactly what we're going to run in any given situation. Our play-calling is ever so predictable for anyone who has watched film of past games. damn frustrating!

Another thing: calling for a prevent defense in any situation other than with under 4 mins. to play in the 4th with us having at least a 21 point lead should be grounds for immediate dismissal!

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Question: Is the Jameon reverse pass back to the QB or down field the only "trick" play we have, other than, now, the jump pass? I know it's an oversimplification, but it seems in every game we only use variations of the same 7-10 plays over and over again. It often seems our opponents know exactly what we're going to run in any given situation. Our play-calling is ever so predictable for anyone who has watched film of past games. damn frustrating!

Another thing: calling for a prevent defense in any situation other than with under 4 mins. to play in the 4th with us having at least a 21 point lead should be grounds for immediate dismissal!

It was funny that the announcers several times would say what the play would probably be and were correct most of the time.
It is fu

Coach34
11-10-2013, 04:16 PM

We had 550 yards and scored 41 points

Will James
11-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Teams usually soften up with big leads in the 4th

Coach34
11-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Teams usually soften up with big leads in the 4th

we had 400 yards starting the 4th Q...they didnt let up- they were tired from us wearing them down

Will James
11-10-2013, 04:31 PM
we had 400 yards starting the 4th Q...they didnt let up- they were tired from us wearing them down

You said all week they really sucked on D. Seems right. Still lost badly. Down nearly double our points in the 4th. *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* fault.

maroonmania
11-10-2013, 11:33 PM

Sort of a reach to make that argument since the ONLY outright SEC basketball title we own since integration was under Stans in 2004. The title in 91 under Williams was as unexpected as the 98 West football championship and was a co-title with LSU only because KY was on probation and ineligible for the title. And 91 is also our only NCAA appearance without Stans as either HC or assistant since integration. Look, by the time we let Stans go it was probably time but its ironic that the better basketball history than football that you cite for why you were anti-Stans was largely created by Stans.

DawgsBite34
11-11-2013, 08:40 AM

against the worst defense in SEC history after we were down some in the 4th quarter. Dan shouldn't have started TR I understand why he did, but if Dak could go, he should've gotten every series. We wasted 3 with TR and It killed us, and oh yeah the absolutely IDOTIC playcalls by Danny Dumbass again cost us the safety and after we got another pick we had a blocked FG cause Dan wont RTGDF

BulldogBear
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Our first trip to College Station...what a trip after a tough week for our starting QB. Young man went through the toughest week of his life, and then had a showdown with Manziel. Very tall task.

Offense

We started Russell because of the circumstances Dakota went thru this week. He missed some practices and alot of film and prep work. Not to mention he had to be somewhat emotionally drained. I think it was the right move by Mullen overall, but it was a move that certainly hurt us in the game. We had 3 wasted series with Russell in the 1st half and that was something we couldnt afford to do and win the football game. Our offense getting off to a slow start really hurt us in the game. I knew we would wear them down- but we had to have a faster start.

JRob comes in and goes 51 yards on his 1st carry of the game. Got 5 more the rest of the game. FIVE. CINCO. How in the ****ing **** does this continue to happen? Perkins 17/55, JRob 6/73. I understand playing the Sr when its close, but this one aint close. I cant say it enough- Perkins should be our 3rd down and medium/long RB. JRob should be 1st and 2nd down. My wife, who knows as much about football as your average Iranian Terrorist, saw Robinson on one carry and said- "Boy he runs hard". EVERYBODY can see it. Why do we continue to play Perkins ahead of him- or at the very least- get them about equal carries??????? (funniest thing I read all day was a poster that said- "I want to beat Dan to death with LDP"...I feel ya brother...I feel ya)

We only scored 7 points off the 3 turnovers we caused vs Johnny SoapOpera. Got to capitalize when we get those chances.

Have you ever been more proud of the effort our QB played with? I knew when I went and saw the kid play his Sr year in HS that he was a talented guy that was going to be the best QB we have ever had. But wow- had no idea of the character and heart this guy has. He left everything he had on that field yesterday- everything. I dont know if he was hurt as much as he was just a little beat up and physically exhausted. Hopefully he hasnt hurt his ribs or anything nagging like that that will hamper him going forward.

We outgained a top 15 opponent for the 2nd week in a row 556-537- . Amazing how much better the offense is now that we have the QB that fits the system. The offense under Dakota is getting better- and the younger guys are starting to get up to speed. 299 yards rushing on 43 attempts- and we still didnt run it enough. We should have gone Auburn-style and gotten to 60 carries. Just run the QB less. We didnt run any speed option, counter, or the QB trap. Why Dano?

The trick play we ran was prefect- great playcall. Good pass by Jameon. And Stonehands finally caught the big one.

Bear Willson is starting to get this shit figured out a little bit. Holloway is not, If his little ass had kept running, he would have been hit in stride for a TD by Dakota.

Defense

It's unusual to give up 51 points and be able to say that your defense wasnt terrible- but that was the case yesterday. We got pressure on Manziel- sacking him 3 times for big losses. We intercepted 3 passes. We were knocking their ass off when we could finally catch them. But they simply have the best QB and WR I've ever seen in college football. Those two guys are simply amazing- and they have other 4 and 5-star talent out there as well- making that offense the best college football has ever seen. They are shredding SEC defenses. The way Manziel is able to make plays when the original play has broken down is amazing. They are going to miss those two guys next year- but I wont.

Jucos gonna Juco. We take the ball down and score making it 30-20, get some momentum back, so what do we do? Take Love and Redmond out to play Cox and Jiles. Cox immediately gets burned for an 80 yard pass. Cox is not playing to his talent, the light bulb just hasnt clicked on yet. And it's hurting us. Been a big disappointment for me this year.

Teams auto-look for Whitley when they go 5-wide or when we go Man. You can count on them to find his guy for a big play. He did make a huge interception when we were in Man-Free though. But he couldnt cover me right now. Could Cox not play this position?

Prevent before half struck again. How does Love get beat deep playing soft before half? Love has been our best CB, but damn that can't happen in that spot.

Special Teams

82 got the punt blocked- got caught looking inside and didnt check off his right side quick enough when nothing showed inside. That cant happen
KO coverage has to be better- we need to kick it out of the end zone or kick it higher to help our coverage guys.
Below average day by Bell punting
Some critical mistakes here hurt- but this bunch has been solid this year. Got to do better.

Overall, Saturday went as I expected it to. They are just a better football team than we are and they were at home. We have a young team that is continuing to get better. That means they are coached and the players are responding. Damn near all of you expected a blowout- and that didnt happen. So stop with the bullshit.

Hail State

I hear what your saying about Dak starting but... example: I haven't fired my hunting rifle at all during the offseason this year. Does that mean I need to borrow yours when the time comes? Of course not. I know what works and it's never ever missed in my entire life. I am still more or less behind Mullen but one big criticism I have is that I feel he overthinks things A LOT.

LDP. Agreed. He should be in the slot. He may be used wrong. He's definately not a power back but I think we try to use him that way too much. We tend to have a RB in for a series when we ought maybe to be sending them in and out based on need and playcalling, except when one just really has the hot hand.

ZERO points off the first two turnovers is the most telling stat in the whole dang game.

Is Lewis not the best QB in the nation? Lewis for Heisman!!!!

Once again critical dropped passes kill us one or more times a game.

Good Grief, can we stop anybody from scoring before halftime? Have we ever scored 41 and lost? I'll have to look that one up.

ST. No frakin' comment.

Good stuff Coach!!!!

Barking 13
11-11-2013, 10:42 AM
For a while there in the first half, we made the worst defense in the SEC (and beyond) look like Alabama...

justwin
11-11-2013, 12:48 PM
I think it was the right move by Mullen overall, but it was a move that certainly hurt us in the game. We had 3 wasted series with Russell in the 1st half and that was something we couldnt afford to do and win the football game.

Agree with most of your post, but strongly agree with attributing the "wasted" drives to Russell...if that's what you were doing there. Russell opened up with a quick completion and Perk couldn't get 4 yards on 2 carries for a first. Hell, He didn't get one yard. The 2nd series Russell completes several passes and Perk actually had some good rushes (to the outside..imagine that) and then Perk couldn't convert 4th and 1....how is that Russell's fault? Let's not forget that Tyler (a non running QB) picked up 3 on 3rd and 4the play before. Then, the first stinking play Dak goes in so does Shump & JRob and TD with a full backfield set. How come those two BIG rbs don't EVER get paired with TR? The 3rd drive with TR in, they finally put JRob (any back other than Perk) in with him and he quickly moves the team 40 yards and then puts the "cooler" Perkins back in the backfield to promptly lose all momentum.

Again, it's not a QB issue and it hasn't been a QB issue the last 15 games as BOTH TR and Dak are excellent. It's a RB issue. Specifically, Perkins should get 5 or less carries out of the backfield....ALL OTHER ISSUES ASIDE, THIS ONE SPECIFIC USAGE OF PERSONNEL HAS CONTRIBUTED TO SEVERAL OF THE LOSSES DURING THE LAST 15 GAMES.

I agree with everything else in your post. Although I would completely replace Perk with JRob so JRob is on the field 40+ snaps and have Shump/Griff rotate in as the other RB spots flanking the qb. It just seems that JRob has the same top end speed as Perk and runs harder.

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I think it was the right move by Mullen overall, but it was a move that certainly hurt us in the game. We had 3 wasted series with Russell in the 1st half and that was something we couldnt afford to do and win the football game.

Agree with most of your post, but strongly agree with attributing the "wasted" drives to Russell...if that's what you were doing there. Russell opened up with a quick completion and Perk couldn't get 4 yards on 2 carries for a first. Hell, He didn't get one yard. The 2nd series Russell completes several passes and Perk actually had some good rushes (to the outside..imagine that) and then Perk couldn't convert 4th and 1....how is that Russell's fault? Let's not forget that Tyler (a non running QB) picked up 3 on 3rd and 4the play before. Then, the first stinking play Dak goes in so does Shump & JRob and TD with a full backfield set. How come those two BIG rbs don't EVER get paired with TR? The 3rd drive with TR in, they finally put JRob (any back other than Perk) in with him and he quickly moves the team 40 yards and then puts the "cooler" Perkins back in the backfield to promptly lose all momentum.

Again, it's not a QB issue and it hasn't been a QB issue the last 15 games as BOTH TR and Dak are excellent. It's a RB issue. Specifically, Perkins should get 5 or less carries out of the backfield....ALL OTHER ISSUES ASIDE, THIS ONE SPECIFIC USAGE OF PERSONNEL HAS CONTRIBUTED TO SEVERAL OF THE LOSSES DURING THE LAST 15 GAMES.

I agree with everything else in your post. Although I would completely replace Perk with JRob so JRob is on the field 40+ snaps and have Shump/Griff rotate in as the other RB spots flanking the qb. It just seems that JRob has the same top end speed as Perk and runs harder.

It's not Tyler fault, per say, it's just that the defense, linebackers particularly, play our running plays differently when Dak is at QB. Tyler can't control that when he is at QB the linebackers crash down and follow the guards, and when Dak is at QB the linebackers hold in case he keeps the ball. But it is what it is. The way the defense schematically plays the running game, when Dak is in the game, gives us a much greater chance of running the football successfully.

BulldogBear
11-11-2013, 01:45 PM
It's not Tyler fault, per say, it's just that the defense, linebackers particularly, play our running plays differently when Dak is at QB. Tyler can't control that when he is at QB the linebackers crash down and follow the guards, and when Dak is at QB the linebackers hold in case he keeps the ball. But it is what it is. The way the defense schematically plays the running game, when Dak is in the game, gives us a much greater chance of running the football successfully.

This^ ....is all those of those that advocate Dak are really trying to say. I don't think most of us are really heaping blame on TR himself.

Coach34
11-11-2013, 02:34 PM

yes- this

justwin
11-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Yes, I understand your point and agree with it somewhat, but to me what is dictating the opposing LB or back 7 play vs MSU is when Perk is in the backfield as a single back with Tyler. It's the one scenario where our offense becomes one-dimensional and we do it exclusively when Tyler is in the game...For the life of me, I just don't get it and have been wondering this for 15 ****ing games. I don't believe that Tyler being in the game is dictating the change in defensive schemes as much as Perk being the single back is w Tyler. So, with Dak in the game, the LBs hold (not blitz) in your scenario more often and you would think the opposite when Tyler is in the game (crashing/blitzing LBs). However, that's not the case b/c the LBs basically react when there's a rush with Tyler/Perk to make the tackle as they don't have to blitz so it's almost like the LBs are holding in both scenarios when both Tyler and Dak are in which is great for a running qb, but terrible for a passing qb. Now, of course they do blitz on longer obvious passing plays for Tyler or any QB really, but that's common.

I'm sure you saw the play where Perk got thrown down from the back by the DL by grabbing his jersey which just means he really struggles getting to the second level anymore (maybe it's the ankle) unlike J-Rob or the other RBs. So, the back 7 can play zone when Tyler's in b/c there isn't a running threat...plays take longer to develop...Tyler holds....yada yada. On the flip, I'd say that TR can hit 80-90% of hitches, etc for 5-8 yards on early downs and this is b/c of "holding" lbs. So, why don't we put a big RB in there with Tyler who can pick up a blitzing LB so Tyler can make them pay over the top?

If we're only talking about running the ball, then I bring this up b/c I'm not so sure that Dak + our RBs (including Perk) is better than or equal to Tyler + any RB except Perk running the ball as I'm reluctant to admit that until I actually see Dan commit to using another RB in the game with Tyler exclusively. I think Tyler's 3rd drive in the game in the 2Q proves that point b/c JRob had 3 beautiful rushes all resulting in positive yards until he got pulled for Perk which basically killed that drive.....

End of the day, if we put J-Rob, Griff, or Shump with Tyler, it creates more opportunities for Tyler to expose the defense with vertical passing b/c the LBs have to respect the run and the guns running the ball are doing what they came to MSU to do. Go look at Bama or LSU and how none of their QBs run, but they always have big powerful RBs who can get yards after contact.

I'm harping on this b/c this forum has taught me that the squeaky wheel gets the grease...Sobiesk from Bell, HUD, etc. I just hope this concept gets to Dan soon. Plus, people here actually know what they're talking about.