PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Whoever runs the women's basketball Twitter account

Todd4State
02-21-2021, 05:18 PM
Is not allowing replies to the tweet with the final score on it.

I may be mistaken but I've never seen that before from a MSU account.

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 05:25 PM
Soft as charmin..... put out an embarrassing product w the talent we have and can't take some criticism. I'm usually understanding w coaches. It's tough. But our effort and attention to detail is awful. If you don't play hard I'm out. It's tough to win in this league in every sport, I get it. But at least freaking play hard and act like you care and half ass know what you're doing. They don't.

was21
02-21-2021, 05:28 PM
Maybe decision has been made...she gone

Coach34
02-21-2021, 05:28 PM
I heard a good one today- Rick Ray McCray

was21
02-21-2021, 05:30 PM
How many more bad hires will he be allowed. And firing them after hiring them is no excuse for retention

KOdawg1
02-21-2021, 05:35 PM
HAHA they should've known that disabling the comments would've just made things worse. If you're going to be soft like the coach and team, might as well not even tweet the final score.

It's pretty remarkable that in less than a full year's time, everything Vic built has been torn down. Women's basketball isn't like football, baseball, or even the men's team. Our fans can and will forget about it, and it'll turn into a sport like cross country or volleyball that no one cares about.

Todd4State
02-21-2021, 05:42 PM
Soft as charmin..... put out an embarrassing product w the talent we have and can't take some criticism. I'm usually understanding w coaches. It's tough. But our effort and attention to detail is awful. If you don't play hard I'm out. It's tough to win in this league in every sport, I get it. But at least freaking play hard and act like you care and half ass know what you're doing. They don't.

I agree 100%. Expecting 100% effort from every sport isn't unreasonable.

Ha!

How many more bad hires will he be allowed. And firing them after hiring them is no excuse for retention

The thing is Cohen usually makes a good hire after screwing up the first. It's kind of weird. But I think again it goes back to inexperience and Cohen not knowing the sports landscape as well as he thinks he does outside of baseball.

Todd4State
02-21-2021, 05:43 PM
Here's what worries me. We'll censor our own fans before we censor ESPN or the Clarion-Ledger.

RocketDawg
02-21-2021, 05:48 PM
Is the Twitter account an official MSU account, or is it run by the coach as a personal account?

I seem to remember her being criticized for her collateral interests perhaps leading to inattention to basketball, and it was said that she was commenting on her own account, not the University one.

RocketDawg
02-21-2021, 05:48 PM
Here's what worries me. We'll censor our own fans before we censor ESPN or the Clarion-Ledger.

That's not going to increase Bulldog Club donations.

Bothrops
02-21-2021, 05:49 PM
The verdict is in. I expect an exodus when this struggle ends, making next season impossible.

RocketDawg
02-21-2021, 05:51 PM
The verdict is in. I expect an exodus when this struggle ends.

Would not be surprising. Gotta wonder what Vic is thinking about seeing his efforts going down the tube.

Bothrops
02-21-2021, 05:57 PM
Would not be surprising. Gotta wonder what Vic is thinking about seeing his efforts going down the tube.

He should have known it would implode. If he didn't think that, I've overestimated his intelligence.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2021, 05:57 PM

That is pretty good.

RocketDawg
02-21-2021, 05:58 PM
He should have known it would implode. If he didn't think that, I've overestimated his intelligence.

Maybe not. Prior to and at the beginning of the season we were ranked in the Top 10.

Todd4State
02-21-2021, 06:01 PM
Is the Twitter account an official MSU account, or is it run by the coach as a personal account?

I seem to remember her being criticized for her collateral interests perhaps leading to inattention to basketball, and it was said that she was commenting on her own account, not the University one.

The baseball account was run by a student manager.

I highly suspect that it's the same for all sports. Whoever did make the decision to not allow replies should be reprimanded.

99jc
02-21-2021, 06:01 PM
17 NP and the elephant she rode in on.

msstate7
02-21-2021, 06:15 PM
Maybe decision has been made...she gone

How much would it cost us to fire her? Seems in a non-revenue sport that paying a buy out is a bold move during covid.

I say no way she's fired, but let's just pretend it happens. That would be 3 hires by Cohen that didn't see year 3 in their sport. Yikes. Again though, she not getting canned this year.

Cooterpoot
02-21-2021, 06:38 PM
With this hire, our program is about to be dust. The offseason is going to be ugly.

Ari Gold
02-21-2021, 06:39 PM
The embarrassment of our WBK program continues..

BeardoMSU
02-21-2021, 06:41 PM
I don't know how much the difference between "blocking" and "restricting comments" goes, but I do remember Trump wasn't allowed to block twitter followers/commenters as POTUS because his account was part of "the state" (SCOTUS ruled on this, I believe). I would image the same would apply here, given MSU is a public university. Again, I'm not sure if limiting replies is the same as "censorship", but it's definitely worth getting to the bottom of.

Regardless, though, this is ****ing weaksauce from whoever runs that twitter account. Own it. And restricting replies will only confirm people's concerns, so obviously the strategy here is flawed as hell.

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 06:43 PM
Zero chance we fire her short of her being caught w a player..... one can hope.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2021, 06:45 PM

Just gotta give her time to install the air-raid**

HailStateSZN19
02-21-2021, 06:48 PM
NMP has ruined this program faster than I thought possible. Absolutely embarrassing.

So we will likely have 2 lame duck HC?s in both basketball programs next season.....fantastic. Can?t wait... APATHY.

Cooterpoot
02-21-2021, 06:56 PM

I'd hold up on that.

trob115
02-21-2021, 07:02 PM
I checked again... Several prominent boosters have voiced concern over Cohen's ability to run the athletic program. One in particular, has enough pull to get Cohen fired on their own. Not to mention there's about 25 of the top 50 donors who are complaining to Keenum directly. Cohen's not making another hire.

parabrave
02-21-2021, 07:03 PM
HAHA they should've known that disabling the comments would've just made things worse. If you're going to be soft like the coach and team, might as well not even tweet the final score.

It's pretty remarkable that in less than a full year's time, everything Vic built has been torn down. Women's basketball isn't like football, baseball, or even the men's team. Our fans can and will forget about it, and it'll turn into a sport like cross country or volleyball that no one cares about.

Already has reached that point/

R2Dawg
02-21-2021, 07:05 PM

Don't insult Rick Ray like that. RR inherited a disaster with only about 6 scholarship players with little talent.

NPR inherited final 4 talent, if WBB was SEC baseball we wouldn't make the SECT. Honestly, we are worst program in SEC within less than a year of Vic leaving. Unreal.

R2Dawg
02-21-2021, 07:07 PM
Just gotta give her time to install the air-raid**

Nice. As announcers said today, she needs time to make the culture change. I think she has achieved culture change in record time. They will name the next nuclear bomb the Nicki McCray.

R2Dawg
02-21-2021, 07:10 PM

Vic can't be happy especially his players that have tanked after he left.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-21-2021, 07:11 PM
Don't insult Rick Ray like that. RR inherited a disaster with only about 6 scholarship players with little talent.

NPR inherited final 4 talent, if WBB was SEC baseball we wouldn't make the SECT. Honestly, we are worst program in SEC within less than a year of Vic leaving. Unreal.

She?ll be doing good to have 6 scholarship players on the roster in May.

RocketDawg
02-21-2021, 07:13 PM
At one point today, Eli's color guy noted that we had two players who didn't run to the other end of the court to play defense. Is conditioning a problem? He mentioned that only playing two games in the past month could be to blame, but it sounded more like rationalization than a good reason. Presumably they haven't just been sitting around between games.

Dawg2003
02-21-2021, 07:16 PM

He'll probably be getting some of these players via the transfer portal.

DownwardDawg
02-21-2021, 07:40 PM
I bet she's gone. We need a bet on YBYA board!!!

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 07:42 PM
I bet she's gone. We need a bet on YBYA board!!!

I'll take it.

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 07:43 PM
At one point today, Eli's color guy noted that we had two players who didn't run to the other end of the court to play defense. Is conditioning a problem? He mentioned that only playing two games in the past month could be to blame, but it sounded more like rationalization than a good reason. Presumably they haven't just been sitting around between games.

See my previous post. No effort. None.

Coach34
02-21-2021, 08:04 PM
I think she gets 3 years myself unless a huge donor just steps in

HailStateSZN19
02-21-2021, 08:52 PM
I'd hold up on that.

You seriously trying to say that the MSU admin is going to be proactive & fire a coach after 1 season? Ain?t gonna happen. Unless there?s things going on behind the scenes that are scandalous that no one knows about, there?s no shot she gets fired after 1 season. Now, she keeps this shit storm of a season going into next year and I?d bet she?s gone after Year 2. But not after 1 season.

confucius say
02-21-2021, 08:58 PM
She ruined a top ten program in less than a year

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 09:01 PM
You seriously trying to say that the MSU admin is going to be proactive & fire a coach after 1 season? Ain?t gonna happen. Unless there?s things going on behind the scenes that are scandalous that no one knows about, there?s no shot she gets fired after 1 season. Now, she keeps this shit storm of a season going into next year and I?d bet she?s gone after Year 2. But not after 1 season.

This... we lose our ass in women's hoops. And big donors were great in ponying up to keep Vic and supplement his salary. But I can't see that many that care to pay her out. And wo a big donor doing it, she's gonna stay. On top of that firing a minority less than a year after Black Lives Matter, just can't see it... right or wrong

Todd4State
02-21-2021, 09:01 PM

Joe Moorhead says hi from the water park.

I don't keep up a lot with basketball men's or women's but things like today plus lack of effort from the team plus players possibly leaving makes me think that Rick Ray McKay being fired is possible.

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 09:02 PM

I don't keep up a lot with basketball men's or women's but things like today plus lack of effort from the team plus players possibly leaving makes me think that Rick Ray McKay being fired is possible.

But it's not the same, and you know it and know why.....

Todd4State
02-21-2021, 09:04 PM
I checked again... Several prominent boosters have voiced concern over Cohen's ability to run the athletic program. One in particular, has enough pull to get Cohen fired on their own. Not to mention there's about 25 of the top 50 donors who are complaining to Keenum directly. Cohen's not making another hire.

This doesn't surprise me. I can only imagine how hot Cohen's seat would be had we lost to Ole Miss yesterday.

The learning curve is just too much for Cohen.

BuckyIsAB****
02-21-2021, 09:04 PM

You very well could be right, but that doesnt make the situation right. She deserves to be fired or her pay cut based on her performance.

Same with Moorhead

Todd4State
02-21-2021, 09:05 PM

If we hire another person with similar um....traits I don't see why it would be an issue.

BuckyIsAB****
02-21-2021, 09:09 PM
I love Cohen but if he allowed politics from anyone or anywhere to determine who he hired or will hire in any sport he is not the man for the job. I understand there are laws in place for this kind of thing but still. Point remains. My problem isnt her race or her beliefs is the fact that we look like garbage and we could care less.

Go woke go broke

msstate7
02-21-2021, 09:09 PM
I don't see how non-effort is a deal. I don't follow WBK, but I see she did well at old dominion. How do you win at 1 program and then fail at one that's set up to win?

BuckyIsAB****
02-21-2021, 09:10 PM
I don't see how non-effort is a deal. I don't follow WBK, but I see she did well at old dominion. How do you win at 1 program and then fail at one that's set up to win?

Moorhead had the same problem. If they dont respect you it is over

99jc
02-21-2021, 09:25 PM

Just say what you mean its because she is black! jeez

WinningIsRelentless
02-21-2021, 09:29 PM
It?s a good chance she?s gone. One of the biggest things that got JoMo canned after two years is showing up with her.

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 09:36 PM
You very well could be right, but that doesnt make the situation right. She deserves to be fired or her pay cut based on her performance.

Same with Moorhead

You had it right at fired....

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 09:37 PM

Watch for about 2 mins and youll see.

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 09:38 PM
Just say what you mean its because she is black! jeez

Not solely..... but yeah that's part no question.

Bothrops
02-21-2021, 09:53 PM

I doubt he really gives a shit.

HailStateSZN19
02-21-2021, 10:02 PM

2 different scenarios. Joe had obvious lack of discipline within the locker room and was losing control of the program along with putting a horrible product on the field. And he still got 2 seasons.

NMP is putting a horrible product on the court but she doesn?t have any scandalous issues going on in the locker room or anything that would make the admin fire her after one season. Just ain?t gonna happen. And y?all thinking it can/will happen are just getting your hopes up. She will be here next season and will have next season to right the ship or she?ll be gone. Do I necessarily agree with it? No I don?t. It?s easy to tell she?s in over her head and is tanking the program. But I also know how things work in reality. Unless there?s a scandal or something that embarrasses the University off the court, she ain?t going nowhere.

Homedawg
02-21-2021, 10:11 PM
I doubt he really gives a shit.

Oh yeah he does. He's. Great coach and all great coaches have huge egos.... his is being stoked w each of our losses. Makes him that much better. I like Vic a lot. But he's smiling

confucius say
02-21-2021, 10:20 PM
Oh yeah he does. He's. Great coach and all great coaches have huge egos.... his is being stoked w each of our losses. Makes him that much better. I like Vic a lot. But he's smiling

Hell he should be. We were crap before him and crap after him. I understand it didn't have to be that way, but it is.

Bothrops
02-21-2021, 10:25 PM

Good point

Cowbell
02-21-2021, 10:36 PM
Not solely..... but yeah that's part no question.

You would think Bracky could come up with something on her....

Todd4State
02-21-2021, 10:40 PM
I love Cohen but if he allowed politics from anyone or anywhere to determine who he hired or will hire in any sport he is not the man for the job. I understand there are laws in place for this kind of thing but still. Point remains. My problem isnt her race or her beliefs is the fact that we look like garbage and we could care less.

Go woke go broke

We're assuming that the media is going to perceive it like that. But the win/loss record is very obvious. I don't think Cohen uses politics to determine hires- see Leach. It was like when we fired Croom there was no backlash and any that is there would be short lived.

Sometimes people are simply not fits.

2 different scenarios. Joe had obvious lack of discipline within the locker room and was losing control of the program along with putting a horrible product on the field. And he still got 2 seasons.

NMP is putting a horrible product on the court but she doesn?t have any scandalous issues going on in the locker room or anything that would make the admin fire her after one season. Just ain?t gonna happen. And y?all thinking it can/will happen are just getting your hopes up. She will be here next season and will have next season to right the ship or she?ll be gone. Do I necessarily agree with it? No I don?t. It?s easy to tell she?s in over her head and is tanking the program. But I also know how things work in reality. Unless there?s a scandal or something that embarrasses the University off the court, she ain?t going nowhere.

Joe won 8 games in year one which is still a really good season at MSU. Joe's first season while disappointing wasn't the disaster that McRray has been.

Todd4State
02-21-2021, 10:40 PM
You would think Bracky could come up with something on her....

She's not involved with football so she is safe.**

Cowbell
02-21-2021, 11:14 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what Cohen saw in her. She is very underwhelming from a basketball IQ abd public speaking perspective.
Also, she says the effort has been there and that her kids play hard. Ummm. No..

ScoobaDawg
02-22-2021, 12:14 AM
I can't see any way we can fire her before two years unfortunately.. It would be suicide to our program. Who would dare come in and belive the program is only behind them for a year. Plus whatever the buyout is... As mentioned, even after 2 years. Going to have to find a donor who will take that cause.

Commercecomet24
02-22-2021, 12:37 AM
We may not win another game this year. It looks like everyone's checked out from the head coach on down. Just looks like no one on the team really cares anymore. It's gotten bad real quick.

Dawgology
02-22-2021, 12:38 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what Cohen saw in her. She is very underwhelming from a basketball IQ abd public speaking perspective.
Also, she says the effort has been there and that her kids play hard. Ummm. No..

As usual he listened to what other coaches and AD?s in the league recommended to him. Always listen to what your opponent recommends!**

Todd4State
02-22-2021, 12:49 AM
As usual he listened to what other coaches and AD?s in the league recommended to him. Always listen to what your opponent recommends!**

Or even worse LT and Stricklin.

notsofarawaydawg
02-22-2021, 02:18 AM

With all the WOKE stuff going on, there surely would be a discrimination lawsuit if we fired her. Probably best to pay off her contract to try and salvage the talent that will surely jump ship if she stays. It can't get any worse.

Cooterpoot
02-22-2021, 04:59 AM
I can't see any way we can fire her before two years unfortunately.. It would be suicide to our program. Who would dare come in and belive the program is only behind them for a year. Plus whatever the buyout is... As mentioned, even after 2 years. Going to have to find a donor who will take that cause.

Nah, we pay well enough and have proven coaches can win here. She had a team that returned all but one starter and ran it in a ditch. We've got a big mess in our program. Plus, she'll have less talent next year because you're about to see some girls leaving as soon as season ends.

KOdawg1
02-22-2021, 06:37 AM
If we hire another person with similar um....traits I don't see why it would be an issue.
Johnie Harris

Leeshouldveflanked
02-22-2021, 07:30 AM
Johnie Harris
Harris was the slam dunk easy hire.... but we had to outsmart ourselves again.

Indndawg
02-22-2021, 08:15 AM
They still woke tho.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-22-2021, 08:55 AM
I caught that post game press conference on the radio and some lady gave her a softball question about outside noise affecting the program. Her response was worry about ourselves and don't listen to it. I guess that's easier to do when the public can't make comments lol.

Ari Gold
02-22-2021, 09:14 AM
You contact Matthew Mitchell right now and see if there is any interest.. if so **** all the negative feedback and press. The results speak for themselves. You fire her ass the morning after the last game.

StateDawg44
02-22-2021, 09:27 AM
With all the WOKE stuff going on, there surely would be a discrimination lawsuit if we fired her. Probably best to pay off her contract to try and salvage the talent that will surely jump ship if she stays. It can't get any worse.

This comment makes no sense. If we fired her we would have to pay off her contract either way. Just because she sucks at her job and get's fired doesn't void the contract.

It has nothing to do with discrimination. She is unable to fulfill what we should require in a coach and has shat the bed in tremendous fashion. End of story. The question is, whether the payoff is worth it for women's basketball.

KB21
02-22-2021, 09:35 AM
You contact Matthew Mitchell right now and see if there is any interest.. if so **** all the negative feedback and press. The results speak for themselves. You fire her ass the morning after the last game.

Agree! We need some boosters to contact Mitchell and see if he's ready to return to coaching yet.

ZedFedder
02-22-2021, 10:18 AM
I’d be all aboard the Johnnie Harris train, but I figure that ship has sailed.

MedDawg
02-22-2021, 10:34 AM

McCray went 8-23 in her first season at Old Dominion, 21-10 her second season, and 24-6 her third season (2020, the rest was cancelled).

I'd only want her fired if we could get a known winning coach, but if we couldn't get one after Vic left and Vic making one of the highest salaries in women's bb, I don't see how we could get one now. Seeing McCray's improvement at OD, I don't want to fire McCray just to hire another just like her.

MedDawg
02-22-2021, 10:36 AM
I’d be all aboard the Johnnie Harris train, but I figure that ship has sailed.

You know she'd take it if we offered. She's still an assistant now.

KB21
02-22-2021, 10:51 AM
McCray went 8-23 in her first season at Old Dominion, 21-10 her second season, and 24-6 her third season (2020, the rest was cancelled).

I'd only want her fired if we could get a known winning coach, but if we couldn't get one after Vic left and Vic making one of the highest salaries in women's bb, I don't see how we could get one now. Seeing McCray's improvement at OD, I don't want to fire McCray just to hire another just like her.

If she had shown a single strong quality as a head coach during this season, I would agree with you. I don't see anything that she brings to the table though. We'd be just as bad with an empty chair coaching the team. I'm typically very conservative when it comes to coaching changes. I tend to lean towards the idea that stability is the best bet, which is why I will not be upset if Howland is retained. However, in this situation, NMP is just a terrible coach. She is Joe Moorhead for the women's basketball program. In fact, she's probably worse. It took Joe two years to do what NMP has done in one year.

Cowbell
02-22-2021, 11:15 AM

I wonder what kind of talent she was working with there.

Cooterpoot
02-22-2021, 11:15 AM

But look at what she was working with there and here. We returned all but one starter from likely a Sweet 16 team.

Commercecomet24
02-22-2021, 11:34 AM
But look at what she was working with there and here. We returned all but one starter from likely a Sweet 16 team.

That's the big difference. She had a ready made winner here and has trashed it.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
02-22-2021, 12:08 PM

Mitchell would be a solid hire if he's recovered from his health issues and wants to get back into coaching. Anybody know how he's coming with his recovery?

R2Dawg
02-22-2021, 01:21 PM
That's the big difference. She had a ready made winner here and has trashed it.

Yes and here lies the issue. We didn't need a new culture or whatever. What she has shown couldn't be any more disaster. No one expected her to win SEC or Final 4 but the results have been 1970s WBB at MSU bad.

R2Dawg
02-22-2021, 01:25 PM

Pretty much agree here. I don't know if Mitchell is the answer but he may be. Who care about the bad press; we got bad press now; the press just ain't saying it. We are total trash as a program and team now. If anyone thinks the press is bad now just wait 3 years.

All media folks can say is what a great player she was, how many years she played in WNBA, ties to Pat Summit, Dawn Staley, etc. She has done 0 as a head coach. We must quit hiring off potential unless we have no choice. MSU WBB was not in that shape. We may be at the next hire though.

William Tecumsah Sherman
02-22-2021, 01:29 PM
I have to be honest. I followed WBB when they were winning titles abs going to final fours. I couldn?t care less now.

Jarius
02-22-2021, 02:49 PM
If we spend one extra penny than required on freaking women’s basketball all while having the lowest football recruiting budget in the conference outside of Vandy I’m going to be extremely pissed off. It’s freaking women’s basketball. We caught lightning in a bottle. Focus on sports that matter.

ZedFedder
02-22-2021, 06:06 PM
I have to be honest. I followed WBB when they were winning titles abs going to final fours. I couldn?t care less now.

Likewise, WTS.

R2Dawg
02-22-2021, 09:05 PM
Likewise, WTS.

I agree to y a point; however, when you have a nationally recognized sports program in any sport you can't let it die like this. Believe it or not it helps the entire brand of MSU. It ain't about how much money it brings in. We know who the money sports are but a program like we were in WBB built the MSU winning brand, along with baseball. It all helps football too. Anytime you can bring in national fans it does make a difference.

Ezsoil
02-23-2021, 09:22 AM

Well VIc was a disaster as a head coach before he got to MSU...only one winning season in seven years at Sam Houston.

Cooterpoot
02-23-2021, 09:41 AM

The issue is she's got a very talented team that doesn't fit what she does. She wants up tempo and pressing, not a lot of half-court. This team isn't that. But our AD should've known this. He did what he's done in every sport but baseball (hmm) and that's tear it all down and go a different direction. It's also why some of this talent is leaving after the season.
And I've been hard on her, but it's really John Cohen.

maroonmania
02-23-2021, 10:29 AM
Of all of the coaching hire blunders Cohen has made, this one was absolutely the worst. I didn't feel the proper decision was being made even when the hire was done. I say that because with what Vic had already built with the culture of MSU WBB, unless you had a PROVEN POWER 5 HC that would take the job (which we didn't), it was pretty much a no brainer to have given Johnnie Harris the job. I mean, maybe she wouldn't have worked out either, but in trying to keep rolling with the winning culture you had, she was absolutely the best opportunity we had available given she was a big part in building it. Plus, in a COVID environment, she already had a close relationship with all the players and didn't have to try and build one over ZOOM calls. Just really, really didn't understand the decision at the time. Just knowing Cohen though he probably ruled Harris out because she didn't come into her interview with a 100 slide Powerpoint brief detailing her 'plan'. Just another case where Cohen outthought himself trying to be the smartest guy in the room. Sometimes you just need to use your basic common sense and do what is right in front of you. Sad part is he did give the softball job to an assistant already on staff and that seems to be working out great. And our softball program was nowhere close to the elite level of our WBB program.

BrunswickDawg
02-23-2021, 10:36 AM
Of all of the coaching hire blunders Cohen has made, this one was absolutely the worst. I didn't feel the proper decision was being made even when the hire was done. I say that because with what Vic had already built with the culture of MSU WBB, unless you had a PROVEN POWER 5 HC that would take the job (which we didn't), it was pretty much a no brainer to have given Johnnie Harris the job. I mean, maybe she wouldn't have worked out either, but in trying to keep rolling with the winning culture you had, she was absolutely the best opportunity we had available given she was a big part in building it. Plus, in a COVID environment, she already had a close relationship with all the players and didn't have to try and build one over ZOOM calls. Just really, really didn't understand the decision at the time. Just knowing Cohen though he probably ruled Harris out because she didn't come into her interview with a 100 slide Powerpoint brief detailing her 'plan'. Just another case where Cohen outthought himself trying to be the smartest guy in the room. Sometimes you just need to use your basic common sense and do what is right in front of you. Sad part is he did give the softball job to an assistant already on staff and that seems to be working out great. And our softball program was nowhere close to the elite level of our WBB program.

I'm not disagreeing with you - but if he had hired Harris and we took a similar step back the line of criticism would be "Cohen took the lazy way out and just hired the assistant from in house."

Johnson85
02-23-2021, 10:57 AM
I agree to y a point; however, when you have a nationally recognized sports program in any sport you can't let it die like this. Believe it or not it helps the entire brand of MSU. It ain't about how much money it brings in. We know who the money sports are but a program like we were in WBB built the MSU winning brand, along with baseball. It all helps football too. Anytime you can bring in national fans it does make a difference.

This is correct, but you can't spend buyout money on women's basketball unless you have good reason to think the next person you hire is going to be elite. Not really good and will keep you in the top 25. Nobody knows who the hell the 5th through 20th best women's basketball programs are. You have to think they will be elite. Looks like Matthew Mitchell might be a really good candidate if he were physically able and interested, but just looking at wikipedia, his success at UK doesn't look like it justifies firing a first year coach to hire.

maroonmania
02-23-2021, 11:13 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you - but if he had hired Harris and we took a similar step back the line of criticism would be "Cohen took the lazy way out and just hired the assistant from in house."

Maybe, but if we have EVER had a program built to allow a top assistant to move up to the top spot it was our WBB program which had never accomplished anything of note before Vic and now may never accomplish anything after. Whatever Vic created, unlike our baseball program for example, was unique to what he was able to do. Trying to allow someone that was with him when he did it and was trained under him to try and continue it absolutely made the most sense given we were apparently not able to attract someone truly proven.

StarkVegasSteve
02-23-2021, 12:33 PM

He's not coming. His wife doesn't like Starkville and her family has STUPID money. He's got no reason to want to return other than ego. Riding out your days with no stress and private jets sounds a hell of a lot better than coming back to Starkville to coach.

StarkVegasSteve
02-23-2021, 12:36 PM
You know she'd take it if we offered. She's still an assistant now.

I actually doubt she'd take it now. All coaches have egos, no matter if it's HC or asst. And I imagine we bruised her ego but not giving her the job last year. Kind of like not interviewing Kyle Whittingham after Mullen left and then him not even taking an interview last time around.

parabrave
02-23-2021, 12:48 PM
Maybe, but if we have EVER had a program built to allow a top assistant to move up to the top spot it was our WBB program which had never accomplished anything of note before Vic and now may never accomplish anything after. Whatever Vic created, unlike our baseball program for example, was unique to what he was able to do. Trying to allow someone that was with him when he did it and was trained under him to try and continue it absolutely made the most sense given we were apparently not able to attract someone truly proven.

Yep. Agree 99.9%

parabrave
02-23-2021, 12:55 PM

When Vic told Cohen he was leaving Vic should've then told Cohen to hire Johnnie. Then She should've gotten the job offer. If she declined then the search should've commenced. Was JH offered the job? Did Vic recommend her?

Parker Street
02-23-2021, 01:28 PM
I am curious as to why some fans want to fire coach Penson after one season, but have not been calling for the firing of coach Howland.

Howland has only one NCAA Tournament appearance in five seasons. He has an SEC record of 49-55.

StarkVegasSteve
02-23-2021, 02:37 PM
Pretty much agree here. I don't know if Mitchell is the answer but he may be. Who care about the bad press; we got bad press now; the press just ain't saying it. We are total trash as a program and team now. If anyone thinks the press is bad now just wait 3 years.

All media folks can say is what a great player she was, how many years she played in WNBA, ties to Pat Summit, Dawn Staley, etc. She has done 0 as a head coach. We must quit hiring off potential unless we have no choice. MSU WBB was not in that shape. We may be at the next hire though.

But here's the problem with that. The national media doesn't give a rip if the women's team is good or if they're bad, but if we fire a coach after one year, and especially a minority woman coach, you can bet your ass they'll care A LOT. Fair or not, it's the political climate we're in. Barring an off the court issue, she'll get a minimum of two years. Her success or failure isn't going to doom Cohen, his future is tied to Leach and it was from the moment that we hired him. NMP is going to get time. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see her get 3 years.

StarkVegasSteve
02-23-2021, 02:39 PM
I am curious as to why some fans want to fire coach Penson after one season, but have not been calling for the firing of coach Howland.

Howland has only one NCAA Tournament appearance in five seasons. He has an SEC record of 49-55.

Because Howland took over a program that was beyond dumpster fire levels of bad and he's just gotten it back to a competitive respectable level in the last 2 years. We had maybe 1 to 2 SEC Talent players on the roster his first year. Penson had 3 McD AAs on the program she took over. I'm not really sure the comparison you're trying to make here. Howland's teams are frustrating but they play hard.

KB21
02-23-2021, 03:09 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I call for Penson's dismissal as head coach and would be willing to go either way with Ben Howland is this simple. The women's program under NMP is currently an embarrassment. She inherited a strong program and has proceeded to drive it into the ground. Ben, on the other hand, doesn't have a program that is an embarrassment. The biggest issue I have with Ben's program is that we will take two steps forward and then two steps backward. So, I'd be willing to make a change to see if someone else can get them over the hump, but I also realize that it could get a lot worse. With NMP, it can't really get much worse. Giving her a second season pretty much ensures the death of the women's program.

R2Dawg
02-23-2021, 03:18 PM
But here's the problem with that. The national media doesn't give a rip if the women's team is good or if they're bad, but if we fire a coach after one year, and especially a minority woman coach, you can bet your ass they'll care A LOT. Fair or not, it's the political climate we're in. Barring an off the court issue, she'll get a minimum of two years. Her success or failure isn't going to doom Cohen, his future is tied to Leach and it was from the moment that we hired him. NMP is going to get time. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see her get 3 years.

I hear you and agree with you. At this point we either trash our program or do something and take out lumps. I hate to was the Vic years and all the good we built.

The same thing happened with Croom. I said when we hired him, it would either be the best thing we ever did or the worst, well it was the worst. We had bad for 5 years and Byrne had the guts to do something about it.

Well fastforward, here we are again but Cohen made the hire. Only way this changes is a new AD. If she stays 5 years, we'll have a 50-110 record and program nuked from ground up.

R2Dawg
02-23-2021, 03:23 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I call for Penson's dismissal as head coach and would be willing to go either way with Ben Howland is this simple. The women's program under NMP is currently an embarrassment. She inherited a strong program and has proceeded to drive it into the ground. Ben, on the other hand, doesn't have a program that is an embarrassment. The biggest issue I have with Ben's program is that we will take two steps forward and then two steps backward. So, I'd be willing to make a change to see if someone else can get them over the hump, but I also realize that it could get a lot worse. With NMP, it can't really get much worse. Giving her a second season pretty much ensures the death of the women's program.

Yep totally agree.

Really apples and oranges comparisons of both programs when they took over; can't believe anyone would make the comparison. Anyone that knows what day of the week it is for MSU basketball knows they are totally different.

I am ready to see a girl fight on the bench if that is what it takes. With the way some players effort is, there needs to be a fight among this team somewhere.

R2Dawg
02-23-2021, 03:26 PM
When Vic told Cohen he was leaving Vic should've then told Cohen to hire Johnnie. Then She should've gotten the job offer. If she declined then the search should've commenced. Was JH offered the job? Did Vic recommend her?

Good questions but I don't think Cohen would have listened. Vic probably knew that and felt like he was in no position to be telling AD anything after he turned his notice in. Like when I drag up at work I have any say in how things are done upon my leaving.

Coach34
02-23-2021, 03:33 PM
A better comparison would be comparing her to JoVester. You had people on here <ahem> saying he wasn’t going to work out during his 1st season because he couldn’t coach the talent he had. We look to be in the same boat now in WBB. She’ll get at least another year- and something better change.

And guys don’t be crazy- Johnnie would take this job in a heartbeat. You don’t pass up SEC jobs. Hell- Mullen tried to get the Miami job a 2nd time after they passed him over- and got snaked by Richt. Good jobs are good jobs

KB21
02-23-2021, 03:34 PM
Yep totally agree.

Really apples and oranges comparisons of both programs when they took over; can't believe anyone would make the comparison. Anyone that knows what day of the week it is for MSU basketball knows they are totally different.

I am ready to see a girl fight on the bench if that is what it takes. With the way some players effort is, there needs to be a fight among this team somewhere.

For some, it is going to take something like that to make a change. Seeing the poor product on the court isn't enough.

KB21
02-23-2021, 03:36 PM
A better comparison would be comparing her to JoVester. You had people on here <ahem> saying he wasn’t going to work out during his 1st season because he couldn’t coach the talent he had. We look to be in the same boat now in WBB. She’ll get at least another year- and something better change.

And guys don’t be crazy- Johnnie would take this job in a heartbeat. You don’t pass up SEC jobs. Hell- Mullen tried to get the Miami job a 2nd time after they passed him over- and got snaked by Richt. Good jobs are good jobs

I feel like we are about to have a mass exodus of talent if NMP gets another year. I would be willing to bet that Rickea is gone at the end of the year, and I do wonder if being able to go get Johnnie Harris would be enough to change her mind and the minds of others who may want to move on because they do not have faith in the current coach.

StarkVegasSteve
02-23-2021, 03:39 PM
I hear you and agree with you. At this point we either trash our program or do something and take out lumps. I hate to was the Vic years and all the good we built.

The same thing happened with Croom. I said when we hired him, it would either be the best thing we ever did or the worst, well it was the worst. We had bad for 5 years and Byrne had the guts to do something about it.

Well fastforward, here we are again but Cohen made the hire. Only way this changes is a new AD. If she stays 5 years, we'll have a 50-110 record and program nuked from ground up.

We're not firing an AD over a bad women's basketball hire. It's not a revenue producing sport so it sucks, but it doesn't really affect the bottom line.

Dawg_Lover
02-23-2021, 03:44 PM
I believe Johnnie Harris has the knowledge, character and motivation to achieve something special. Could it come close to a Schaefer, or even Summitt, level? Who knows, but every great coach had a ground floor starting level. And, most had great mentors along the way.

There?s no question that I don?t have a smidgen of knowledge or insight that you guys have. My opinion comes from past observation, only. Given the chance, I believe Coach Harris has the qualities to make something special happen.

Whether or not she was offered the position the first time around, I would hope Cohen would make an effort to bring her back as HC .... WHENEVER he gets around to it. Yesterday would work for me.

Coach34
02-23-2021, 03:47 PM
I hate to tell most of y’all- but Cohen’s seat is not even warm right now as AD. He may have to give up some exclusivity on the next few hires- but I haven’t heard anybody I know with any big contacts say they think Cohen could be in any trouble

Cooterpoot
02-23-2021, 04:17 PM

Who? Cause many called for Howland being let go a couple seasons ago.

Cooterpoot
02-23-2021, 04:18 PM
I hate to tell most of y’all- but Cohen’s seat is not even warm right now as AD. He may have to give up some exclusivity on the next few hires- but I haven’t heard anybody I know with any big contacts say they think Cohen could be in any trouble

Yep. The boosters put him in that job. He won't leave til he retires. That's the MSU way.

Todd4State
02-23-2021, 04:29 PM
Yep. The boosters put him in that job. He won't leave til he retires. That's the MSU way.

Doesn't matter. They probably have the next lackey lined up at Georgia Southern already.

Cooterpoot
02-23-2021, 04:45 PM
Doesn't matter. They probably have the next lackey lined up at Georgia Southern already.

Volleyball is doing well

RocketDawg
02-23-2021, 05:21 PM
I feel like we are about to have a mass exodus of talent if NMP gets another year. I would be willing to bet that Rickea is gone at the end of the year, and I do wonder if being able to go get Johnnie Harris would be enough to change her mind and the minds of others who may want to move on because they do not have faith in the current coach.

Have we ever fired a coach after a single season, particularly after that year having the chaos of a pandemic? I haven't researched it, but I doubt that we have. Moorhead likely comes closest.

I don't think she will be fired, but she probably shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Firing or not firing her shouldn't be a matter of her race though - it's whether she's a good coach or not, and apparently she's not. She had a decent record her last two years at Old Dominion, but that's literally and figuratively a different league. Having played for Pat Summit and coached under Staley apparently doesn't mean all that much.

Todd4State
02-24-2021, 12:15 AM
I'll say this- after some thought.

I don't keep up with Women's basketball a lot- which says a lot about this subject in and of itself.

To the point where I didn't realize that Rick Ray McCray had coached at Old Dominion and had a bad first year there. I'll be fine giving her another year to see if it's typical first year coach stuff where they have to establish their program.

As far as Cohen- I don't know that even Greg Byrne could have replaced the greatest coach in MSU history and upgraded. Not excusing Cohen but just saying it's hard to replace a coach like Vic no matter who it is. And yes, I know that it has been really bad.

Reunion Dog
02-24-2021, 02:38 AM
What a stupid 17 response.. "Vic probably knew" crap sounds like CNN or MSDNC saying something about Trump... Just making up something to say something...

Quit showing your ignorance... You don't know jack 💩 about what Vic knew or said... So quit making up a false argument...

Fans like you are why State will always be State...

Johnson85
02-24-2021, 09:25 AM

Who is this referencing?

ETA: Just googled. I guess Benko?

confucius say
02-24-2021, 09:28 AM
Who is this referencing?

ETA: Just googled. I guess Benko?

Jared Benko

Ari Gold
02-24-2021, 09:44 AM
Bottom line .. It’s a shitty hire. It doesn’t matter if it’s year one or year 3. The faster you pull the plug the better chance you have in getting it back to where it was. The longer you wait the harder it will be

Wait till the hump on Sunday afternoons is half empty next year. NMP better figure it out quickly or hire a new staff that can figure it out..

R2Dawg
02-24-2021, 12:15 PM
We're not firing an AD over a bad women's basketball hire. It's not a revenue producing sport so it sucks, but it doesn't really affect the bottom line.

Never said we would. Never said WBB was worth firing Cohen over. His other blunders are enough. Point was Cohen ain't going to do what should be done, it would take a new AD to do that just like Templeton was never going to fire Croom - his guy. Same here.

IMissJack
02-25-2021, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=KOdawg1;1308017

It's pretty remarkable that in less than a full year's time, everything Vic built has been torn down. Women's basketball isn't like football, baseball, or even the men's team. Our fans can and will forget about it, and it'll turn into a sport like cross country or volleyball that no one cares about.[/QUOTE]

It did not take Football much longer to take down what Mullen did, although not at the elite level that Vic did.

RocketDawg
02-25-2021, 06:44 PM
Bottom line .. It’s a shitty hire. It doesn’t matter if it’s year one or year 3. The faster you pull the plug the better chance you have in getting it back to where it was. The longer you wait the harder it will be

Wait till the hump on Sunday afternoons is half empty next year. NMP better figure it out quickly or hire a new staff that can figure it out..

Half empty means there would be almost 5,000 fans there. I don't think it'll be that many after this poor season. Before Vic, they essentially gave women's tickets away, and very few people attended anyway.

Jarius
02-25-2021, 11:16 PM
Never said we would. Never said WBB was worth firing Cohen over. His other blunders are enough. Point was Cohen ain't going to do what should be done, it would take a new AD to do that just like Templeton was never going to fire Croom - his guy. Same here.

Cohen fired his guy Moorhead after 2 seasons.

CaptainObvious
02-26-2021, 09:13 AM
Cohen fired his guy Moorhead after 2 seasons.

Well that is because firing him after season 1 winning season when Moorhead had been at the Bin handing out cheese fries to students would have been a bad look.****

CaptainObvious
02-26-2021, 10:02 AM

I think you mean when the only fans are family and friends attending next year don?t you? That would be on Cohen for taking that chance on a second season. If there was some way the University could find, I don?t know, maybe, possibly, inappropriate behavior between Coach and player(s), a dismissal for cause would be likely.****