PDA

View Full Version : As usual, things lie somewhere in the middle...

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 10:52 AM
For those acting like we won yesterday....pull back on the reigns a bit. We never really threatened them to the point that they were real nervous after halftime. Proud of the 4 quarters of effort though.

For those that are saying there is nothing positive about Mullen....that's a little exaggerated as well. He does some things well, but yes his constant blunders are hard to watch.

The truth is, we are somewhere between these two extremes. This is the primary reason I wanted to withhold further judgement until after Arkansas. I wanted to see if the team had quit, and if we would get embarrassed or learn from our mistakes against A&M and Bama. Well, yesterday was definitely better than South Carolina, but it was nothing to celebrate either. We still had way too many coaching screw ups, but made some nice plays too. My biggest concern is that we make the same mistakes coaching over and over again, and don't seem to learn for them. My biggest positive is that Mullen is finally starting to get the best players in the game more, and get them touches. still has a way to go, and took him too long, but still improvement.

I still think we HAVE to get 6 wins for me to be on board. I wanted 7 or at least a hard fought 6. I think we fought hard yesterday, they didn't quit, and I saw some good things to go with the bad. So I can accept that loss. But it also proved that we should beat a bad Ark, and OM at home. So with the close loss comes added pressure.

Everyone might as well let this thing play out. Things will be a lot more clear after Arkansas.

As for the guys acting like yesterday is a sign that we need to keep Mullen...that is idiotic, and you are only tempting those ready to fire Mullen to post. You are basically being the same person you typically hate.....just on the other extreme. If Mullen bowls, he will be our coach whether those of us that think he has peaked want him or not. But go 5-7 with a loss to Ole miss.....well, who knows.

Let's let it play out a few more weeks.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Very well said Cadaver. Very intelligent post.

This post is Shotgun approved

DownwardDawg
11-10-2013, 11:03 AM
I am DownwardDawg, and I approve this message.

tcdog70
11-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Well said, but should be noted that our special teams had a terrible Game and Who coaches the special Teams.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 11:27 AM
We also were 11th in the country, prior to this game, in yards given up on kickoffs.

The problems with this team are a moving target.

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 11:29 AM
We have complained about the incompetence of the varying aspects of our special teams since Year 1.

Will James
11-10-2013, 11:31 AM
My problem is looking at Mullen yesterday in a vacuum. Based on his low standards it's an improvement but judging just on coaching decisions in the whole field of coaches it was still very poor. It's just that our window has shifted.

We shouldn't have to be burdened by TR, Perk up the middle constantly, J-Rob on the bench, etc. That is just plain unacceptable from the start.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 12:35 PM
My problem is looking at Mullen yesterday in a vacuum. Based on his low standards it's an improvement but judging just on coaching decisions in the whole field of coaches it was still very poor. It's just that our window has shifted.

We shouldn't have to be burdened by TR, Perk up the middle constantly, J-Rob on the bench, etc. That is just plain unacceptable from the start.

There's no doubt that the coaching blunders were in full force yesterday..

Cutting a 17 point lead to 10 late is no reason to say "all is well"

Bottom line... Mullen has brought in and developed some talent, but does that outweigh the fact that we have to overcome his coaching mistakes every single week to even have a chance to win?

I just hope things are cleared up one way or the other over the next 3 games.