PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm 2: Revenge of the Rock Salt.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2021, 07:22 PM
https://www.weather.gov/images/jan/graphicast/small2.png?d38d009cc842f342d88f3de433ec788d

Round 2 looks to unfold Wednesday evening into Thursday. At this time, the impacts look to be much more confined to the NW part of the state with the rest of us getting primarily a cold rain. They said, this last one started the same way, but I think this one comes closer to staying that way. More as this one unfolds but look for advisories to start going up anytime between late this evening and tomorrow morning. For those wanting a reprieve from all this look to this weekend. Temps by Sunday will be knocking on the door of 60.

Dawgology
02-15-2021, 07:37 PM
https://www.weather.gov/images/jan/graphicast/small2.png?d38d009cc842f342d88f3de433ec788d

Round 2 looks to unfold Wednesday evening into Thursday. At this time, the impacts look to be much more confined to the NW part of the state with the rest of us getting primarily a cold rain. They said, this last one started the same way, but I think this one comes closer to staying that way. More as this one unfolds but look for advisories to start going up anytime between late this evening and tomorrow morning. For those wanting a reprieve from all this look to this weekend. Temps by Sunday will be knocking on the door of 60.

Dammit I?m trying to close on a house and travel to Louisville, MS Thursday. This sucks.

Churchill
02-15-2021, 07:37 PM
Thanks SVD. Just about had all the global warning for this winter I can stand.

Roy Munson
02-15-2021, 08:16 PM
Stayed in Birmingham last night and tonight. Chance I can drive to Stark or Fulton tomorrow, or do I have to wait til Wednesday lunch?

Leeshouldveflanked
02-15-2021, 08:21 PM
Instead of getting my 8-12 inches of snow.... got 4 inches of sleet... so since they are predicting 1-2 inches of snow for Thursday.... I will probably get my foot of snow then.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2021, 08:31 PM
Instead of getting my 8-12 inches of snow.... got 4 inches of sleet... so since they are predicting 1-2 inches of snow for Thursday.... I will probably get my foot of snow then.

You're in good company. Lots of women have been promised 8-12 inches and only got 4.

Dawgpile
02-15-2021, 09:00 PM

Dunno where you are but that's what we got in Nashville... At least 4 inches of sleet. Never seen anything like it.

Dawgology
02-15-2021, 09:05 PM
Dunno where you are but that's what we got in Nashville... At least 4 inches of sleet. Never seen anything like it.

We got about .5-1 inches in the Columbus area. Manages to only lose power for about an hour. Hell of a job by the power company in this area so far.

RocketDawg
02-15-2021, 09:22 PM
Stayed in Birmingham last night and tonight. Chance I can drive to Stark or Fulton tomorrow, or do I have to wait til Wednesday lunch?

This might help: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Alabama/@32.5562928,-88.9244049,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88867f341f4bfe75:0x5e553 43553c8cce9!8m2!3d32.3182314!4d-86.902298!5m1!1e1

Looks like traffic is moving OK to Starkville but I-22 is slow-going once you get near Mississippi. I don't know how dependable this map is, but it's from ALDOT so should be OK.

We had a lot of rain here today and now everything's frozen over before drying out.

yjnkdawg
02-15-2021, 10:31 PM
Thanks Vegas. I hope that Limited Threat Area shifts further over to the west, and not shifts further to the east. Too close to the Elevated threat. The sleet saved us in Winter Storm 1 in Central MS (in the Extreme Threat Area), because if we had gotten the projected freezing rain totals, it would have probably been a major infrastructure devastation, and a long term power restoration effort.

starkvegasdawg
02-16-2021, 09:43 AM
All of north MS and most of west central MS now under a winter storm watch. NWS contemplating expanding the watch into the golden triangle area but holding off for now. The HRRR is showing a big ice storm for a large area with big snow accumulations along the river in the NW delta. Most of MS dodged a bullet with this last storm as most of us got sleet and snow instead of freezing rain. Can we go 2-0 or does this one get us?

Roy Munson
02-16-2021, 09:50 AM
Right now. Decided I'm going to try to make the drive to Fulton on I22 in next hour or so going really slow. Not that it matters if you hit ice. Head to Stark from there tomorrow when it warms up assuming I make it. Crazy weather.

basedog
02-16-2021, 09:55 AM
All of north MS and most of west central MS now under a winter storm watch. NWS contemplating expanding the watch into the golden triangle area but holding off for now. The HRRR is showing a big ice storm for a large area with big snow accumulations along the river in the NW delta. Most of MS dodged a bullet with this last storm as most of us got sleet and snow instead of freezing rain. Can we go 2-0 or does this one get us?

Well all for sunshine in Jackson area, we have snow flurries at my house! I do storm restoration logistics work, I'm thinking I will be going to Texas soon, over 4 million outages, unheard of for a "ice storm".

yjnkdawg
02-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Delete

yjnkdawg
02-16-2021, 11:18 AM
Well all for sunshine in Jackson area, we have snow flurries at my house! I do storm restoration logistics work, I'm thinking I will be going to Texas soon, over 4 million outages, unheard of for a "ice storm".

We still have flurries in the Brandon area.

Cooterpoot
02-16-2021, 12:04 PM
Snowing pretty good in the Pine Belt. Got well over .25 inch of ice yesterday and now everything is turning white with snow. Power was out all day yesterday. Lots of trees down.

parabrave
02-16-2021, 01:11 PM
Watching the MDOT cameras in the Jackson area. Glad all we got was cold in Biloxi.

Commercecomet24
02-16-2021, 01:14 PM
Snowing here in Jones county. We had just a small amount of ice accumulation yesterday. I thought the precip was all gone and woke up this morning with it snowing and everything covered in snow. Thankfully haven't lost power and no trees or limbs down yet. Y'all stay safe.

DownwardDawg
02-16-2021, 01:24 PM
Snowing here in Jones county. We had just a small amount of ice accumulation yesterday. I thought the precip was all gone and woke up this morning with it snowing and everything covered in snow. Thankfully haven't lost power and no trees or limbs down yet. Y'all stay safe.

Here too. Snowed all night lightly and has snowed all day so far. It was supposed to be sunny today and no snow last night or today. Oh well, the snow is a nice surprise. We've all been outside as a family this morning taking pics and vids.
We do have some tree damage. I'll have some cleanup to do this weekend.

starkvegasdawg
02-16-2021, 04:00 PM
Winter storm warning or winter weather advisory now issued for all counties north of 82.

Tough Dawg
02-16-2021, 05:14 PM
SVD: what?s your feel for wintry weather and Itawamba County in Round 2? Looks like we?re right on the line of freezing rain vs rain.

starkvegasdawg
02-16-2021, 05:22 PM
SVD: what?s your feel for wintry weather and Itawamba County in Round 2? Looks like we?re right on the line of freezing rain vs rain.

Going to be close. I would expect freezing rain more than anything else there.

starkvegasdawg
02-16-2021, 05:23 PM
Hwy 12 in Starkville has some slushy ruts making treble on it doable...until they freeze back over tonight. Side roads still a solid sheet of ice for the most part. Travel not advised. Kroger is out of every damn thing anyway.

Jack Lambert
02-17-2021, 09:14 AM
Who here is still using your fans to when sleeping? I have. Got to have it.

Extendedcab
02-17-2021, 09:39 AM

Unfortunately, I am one who is addicted to the white background noise. :(

William Tecumsah Sherman
02-17-2021, 09:50 AM
Jack, if I don?t have a fan going, I don?t sleep!

DownwardDawg
02-17-2021, 10:17 AM

Same here. Can't imagine laying down without turning it on!!

parabrave
02-17-2021, 11:44 AM

Same here/

starkvegasdawg
02-17-2021, 12:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EucZe69XAAMTvKX.jpg

sandwolf
02-17-2021, 01:58 PM
Stark, can you give an update on what the next couple of days are projected to look like? Based on the forecasts I'm seeing, it looks like we will spend most of tonight and tomorrow slightly above freezing before dropping back into the 20's tomorrow night through middle of Friday (I am in Madison). Will tonight/tomorrow be enough to melt what is currently on the roads?

starkvegasdawg
02-17-2021, 03:03 PM
Stark, can you give an update on what the next couple of days are projected to look like? Based on the forecasts I'm seeing, it looks like we will spend most of tonight and tomorrow slightly above freezing before dropping back into the 20's tomorrow night through middle of Friday (I am in Madison). Will tonight/tomorrow be enough to melt what is currently on the roads?

If we can get some full days of sun that will do a lot of melting regardless of the temp. That combined with traffic could get the ice off the roads and allow them to dry before it drops back below freezing at night. I would suspect most roads to be passable by Saturday except for maybe the northwest and extreme north part of the state.

parabrave
02-17-2021, 03:49 PM
Hey Jacksonians is it raining or snowing. Post snow pics and vids

Bdawg
02-17-2021, 03:58 PM
Starting to see a little accumulation of ice on trees here in the delta. Needs to start sleeting instead of raining dang it.

sandwolf
02-17-2021, 04:07 PM
Hey Jacksonians is it raining or snowing. Post snow pics and vids

Been raining in Madison for the past hour or two. Just a slow steady rain.

Churchill
02-17-2021, 04:08 PM
Raining and icing up in Madison.

William Tecumsah Sherman
02-17-2021, 04:54 PM
Rain is busting the ice skating rink in my yard, but I?m starting to see icing on trees

DownwardDawg
02-17-2021, 05:10 PM
Rain is busting the ice skating rink in my yard, but I?m starting to see icing on trees

I'm the opposite. The rain is a welcome sight at this point. It's melting all the ice on the house and trees. Now tomorrow night I won't be happy about all this rain.

Hambone
02-17-2021, 05:48 PM
Been a UPS employee for 23 years and they just called and told us we were off again tomorrow. There has been only one day before this in my 23 year career they didn’t put us on the road and tomorrow will be day number 4 in a row.

Roy Munson
02-17-2021, 05:50 PM
Big huge snowflakes for about 20 min then immediately changed over to BB sized ice. Crazy.

Noxdog
02-17-2021, 06:58 PM
If we can get some full days of sun that will do a lot of melting regardless of the temp. That combined with traffic could get the ice off the roads and allow them to dry before it drops back below freezing at night. I would suspect most roads to be passable by Saturday except for maybe the northwest and extreme north part of the state.

Thoughts on where we are right now, especially as it pertains to the GTR and surrounding counties?

I'm almost a lil more afraid of power outages tonight than I was Monday.

starkvegasdawg
02-17-2021, 07:45 PM
Thoughts on where we are right now, especially as it pertains to the GTR and surrounding counties?

I'm almost a lil more afraid of power outages tonight than I was Monday.

Appears to be a pretty steady mix of sleet and freezing rain. If that persists as our primary precip type then I'm concerned for power outages, too. I'll be stepping out in just a bit to see what kind of ice accumulation we have so far.

basedog
02-17-2021, 09:41 PM
Power out at my house in Brandon, but thank the good Lord my Generic Generator came on. Battery was low so I had to jump it off from my truck.

RocketDawg
02-17-2021, 10:23 PM
Started snowing here around 7:00, had 2-3", and by 9:00 had turned mostly to rain. May or may not be freezing rain - hard to tell. Don't think there's any sleet mixed in. Temp has gone up almost 2 degrees since 7 p.m. This is the first real winter weather for us since the whole thing started, other than a little freezing rain on Monday that melted fairly quickly, and snow all day long on Tuesday without much accumulation.

starkvegasdawg
02-17-2021, 11:18 PM
Looks like it's about over. Probably have around 0.3" of ice. Can hear limbs snapping in the woods and our lights have been flickering.

parabrave
02-18-2021, 01:44 AM
Looks like it's about over. Probably have around 0.3" of ice. Can hear limbs snapping in the woods and our lights have been flickering.

Just checked out the MDOT cameras around Starkville. Looks like a big slushie on the roads. Beware of Black ice.

RocketDawg
02-18-2021, 09:18 AM
Had 6" in Madison (AL) but just 10-12 miles to the east in downtown Huntsville virtually nothing. Roads are in pretty good shape this morning and continue to improve.

starkvegasdawg
02-18-2021, 09:53 AM
Lost power. Lots of Starkville and surrounding areas sharing the same fate. Trying to melt the ice off my windshield to go try and find some breakfast and see how roads are.

Cooterpoot
02-18-2021, 10:49 AM
It's a balmy 34 here in North Covington Co. Ice is gone until any leftover water freezes tonight I guess.

RocketDawg
02-18-2021, 12:51 PM
It's a balmy 34 here in North Covington Co. Ice is gone until any leftover water freezes tonight I guess.

It's warmer here - 35 - but plenty of snow left. Haven't been out yet but the roads seem to be in good shape. I'll find out in less than an hour since I have a doc appt downtown.

starkvegasdawg
02-18-2021, 01:44 PM
Some of the scenes in and around Starkville.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuhU0XQXIAEM4Wg?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuhU0XUXAAA6LnS?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuhAuFcWYAkJi8A?format=jpg&name=large

parabrave
02-18-2021, 02:04 PM
Thanks for posting. Reminds me when I lived near Clemson. This was a daily sight every Feb and March. I remember Ft. Bragg in April 84. Ice storms for 2 weeks, temps near zero and we were having BN Artep. Platoon in the defense really sucked. Literally froze my ass off. At least we weren't getting shot at.

RocketDawg
02-18-2021, 04:17 PM
Some of the scenes in and around Starkville.

Goodness, that's terrible looking. I'm glad we just got snow last night and not freezing rain and sleet.

I just got back from going downtown Huntsville, about 12 miles to the east. At my house, we had plenty of snow. About halfway to town (just past the Space & Rocket Center, if you've been here) the snow went to virtually nothing over maybe a half mile distance.

The good news is all the roads I was on had been plowed and treated - the cities of Madison and Huntsville, and the state did a great job of clearing things.

Dawgpile
02-18-2021, 09:33 PM
Unfortunately, I am one who is addicted to the white background noise. :(

The wife used to freeze me out every winter with her fan going until I download the Ambio app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.happyexabytes.ambio&hl=en_US&gl=US). Fan ambiance, thunderstorm, bubbling brook, etc. I highly recommend it if you need "white noise" to sleep.

RocketDawg
02-18-2021, 10:06 PM
The wife used to freeze me out every winter with her fan going until I download the Ambio app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.happyexabytes.ambio&hl=en_US&gl=US). Fan ambiance, thunderstorm, bubbling brook, etc. I highly recommend it if you need "white noise" to sleep.

We have a clock that has several different sounds like that, but I'm not crazy about it. We also have a Snooz white noise machine in the master bedroom. I really like it, and I generally wake up when it turns off at 6:30 in the mornings. So I'm addicted to it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it loses it's wifi connection occasionally, but that's solved unplugging it, then plugging it back in.

parabrave
02-18-2021, 10:54 PM

I am a light sleeper but if I hear a train off in the distance or a Tugboat going by i'm in a deep sleep instantly.

Mjoelner34
02-18-2021, 11:25 PM

I can relate to her. Add in pitch black, an ice cold temp and a strong breeze and I'm down for a good hibernation. I think my ideal sleeping quarters would resemble the cooler at a florist.

DownwardDawg
02-19-2021, 01:05 AM

Lol. I said the same thing to my son today. He texted me from his room early this morning when he heard my chainsaw. He asked how cold it was before he came out. I said "it's a balmy 31". Dress light. Lol.

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2021, 08:51 AM
One last image from this past winter storm. The sun glistening on the ice in the trees this morning. Hopefully, by this afternoon it's all melted.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eul_fLyWYAETF3g?format=jpg&name=medium

DLGDawg
02-19-2021, 09:57 AM
One last image from this past winter storm. The sun glistening on the ice in the trees this morning. Hopefully, by this afternoon it's all melted.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eul_fLyWYAETF3g?format=jpg&name=medium

If you get out and about later this afternoon any road updates from the Starkville area(or from anyone in the GTR area) would be greatly appreciated.
I'm an appraiser and gotta get over that way soon. Residential areas. Rural areas etc.

Our mailman has not ran all week. Ha. What happened to their slogan...rain, snow or ??? Lol

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2021, 10:54 AM
If you get out and about later this afternoon any road updates from the Starkville area(or from anyone in the GTR area) would be greatly appreciated.
I'm an appraiser and gotta get over that way soon. Residential areas. Rural areas etc.

Our mailman has not ran all week. Ha. What happened to their slogan...rain, snow or ??? Lol

I probably will venture out later today. Need a few things from town. Quick question since you said you're an appraiser. Looking at possibly doing a refi. What's an appraisal cost on average these days and what kind of stuff do you look at/for?

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2021, 04:21 PM
Main highways are passable but basically one lane. Side roads still more ice covered especially in shaded areas. Parts that got sun are ok. All this goes out the window tonight when it all refreezes.

DLGDawg
02-19-2021, 06:54 PM
Main highways are passable but basically one lane. Side roads still more ice covered especially in shaded areas. Parts that got sun are ok. All this goes out the window tonight when it all refreezes.

Check PM.

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2021, 07:44 PM
Check PM.

Thanks. Just replied.