PDA

View Full Version : Would You Take Stans Back Right Now?

confucius say
02-13-2021, 06:28 PM
Instead of staying with Ben or rolling the dice on a replacement, would you take stans back today?

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2021, 06:31 PM
Nope

Saltydog
02-13-2021, 06:38 PM
Versus Howland or the slim chances we find someone better, hell yes I'd take him back.....What we have now is pure shit.....

KOdawg1
02-13-2021, 06:39 PM
Probably

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 06:43 PM
No way. As much as I am over Howland this would just be the same thing. Both of them are one in the same. Really good recruiters and not good coaches. I?m ready for a coach and I?m over recruiters

bobcat91
02-13-2021, 06:56 PM
No. Time for a new coach but not Stans

SteelCurtain74
02-13-2021, 07:00 PM
No.

No BS Dawg
02-13-2021, 07:01 PM
Yes, I am all aboard the we need a new men?s basketball coach train. Have been for a while, actually. Now I have non-refundable tickets.

SailingDawg
02-13-2021, 07:09 PM
What about Kermit?

confucius say
02-13-2021, 07:09 PM
Nope

Bc you want to stick with Ben or roll the dice on somebody else?

Saltydog
02-13-2021, 07:12 PM
No pun intended but "that ship has sailed".

KOdawg1
02-13-2021, 07:14 PM
What about Kermit?

Kermit isn't coming here. We had our chance to hire him and we didn't. Now he's committed to owning us from up the road.

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 07:14 PM
What about Kermit?

Don?t get me started lol

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2021, 07:15 PM
Bc you want to stick with Ben or roll the dice on somebody else?

I'm fine with someone else but Stans hasn't been some great coach since 2005.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2021, 07:17 PM
What about Kermit?

Howland has won 4 more SEC games than Kermit since he's been at OM.

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 07:18 PM
Howland has won 4 more SEC games than Kermit since he's been at OM.

Comparing that is not even reasonable. Kermit has had no talent to work with. The fact it?s even this close is pathetic

confucius say
02-13-2021, 07:18 PM
I'm fine with someone else but Stans hasn't been some great coach since 2005.

What great coach do you want us to hire?

confucius say
02-13-2021, 07:19 PM
Comparing that is not even reasonable. Kermit has had no talent to work with. The fact it?s even this close is pathetic

Kermit has the most veteran team in the league and is going to miss the tournament. He sucks too

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2021, 07:20 PM
Kermit isn't coming here. We had our chance to hire him and we didn't. Now he's committed to owning us from up the road.

Kermit resume when we hired Howland was 13 years at MTSU, 3 20 win seasons, & 1 NCAA appearance. If his name was John Smith & not Kermit Davis Jr he'd never get brought up.

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 07:21 PM
Kermit has the most veteran team in the league and is going to miss the tournament. He sucks too

He is not going to miss the tournament. They will probably win out with the exception being possibly @mizzou. Look at the recruiting rankings of his teams. I would bet my house if Kermit had our talent in 2019 he would?ve made a sweet 16 and last year would?ve finished 2nd in the SEC behind UK

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2021, 07:21 PM
What great coach do you want us to hire?

There's a list of young coaches I'd take. Let me ask you this, since he's left what has Stans done to deserve a SEC job again?

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 07:23 PM
Kermit resume when we hired Howland was 13 years at MTSU, 3 20 win seasons, & 1 NCAA appearance. If his name was John Smith & not Kermit Davis Jr he'd never get brought up.

We should?ve hired Kermit when we hired Ray. Kermit didn?t have a great resume at that time, but he was improving. Instead we hired a no name Rick Ray and look what that got us.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2021, 07:28 PM
We should?ve hired Kermit when we hired Ray. Kermit didn?t have a great resume at that time, but he was improving. Instead we hired a no name Rick Ray and look what that got us.

No no we shouldn't have. At that time he had been at MTSU for 9 years. He was avg 17-15 record in those 9 years. Forget winning the conference he hadn't even won his division in the conference. He hadn't even made a NIT yet. His team was 16-16 that year. So again he shouldn't have been hired & if his name was John Smith he wouldn't even be brought up. Saying he would've been better than Rick Ray is like saying I lost a hand but at least I didn't die.

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 07:30 PM
No no we shouldn't have. At that time he had been at MTSU for 9 years. He was avg 17-15 record in those 9 years. Forget winning the conference he hadn't even won his division in the conference. He hadn't even made a NIT yet. His team was 16-16 that year. So again he shouldn't have been hired & if his name was John Smith he wouldn't even be brought up. Saying he would've been better than Rick Ray is like saying I lost a hand but at least I didn't die.

So Rick Ray assistant coach at a team that didn?t make the tournament was a better hire? Please explain...

KOdawg1
02-13-2021, 07:31 PM

All that's fine and dandy. His program is currently moving up and ours is going the other way.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2021, 07:32 PM
So Rick Ray assistant coach at a team that didn?t make the tournament was a better hire? Please explain...

Can you show me where I said Rick Ray was a better hire? Ray was a terrible hire. Kermit Davis was not qualified for the job. Only reason he was mentioned was because his name was Kermit Davis Jr.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2021, 07:35 PM
All that's fine and dandy. His program is currently moving up and ours is going the other way.

They're hot right now. You know who else had a hot stretch this year? Howland & MSU. We'll see how it ends up. Last year he had a losing record & was 6-12 in the SEC. Right now they're 11-8 & 6-6. We'll see how it ends.

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 07:35 PM
Can you show me where I said Rick Ray was a better hire? Ray was a terrible hire. Kermit Davis was not qualified for the job. Only reason he was mentioned was because his name was Kermit Davis Jr.

Our program was such a mess after the great Stansbury ruined it. Nobody except Davis wanted our job. We had literally no options. Do I think Kermit had a good resume at that time? No, but we hired someone with no experience at all over Davis. That is all on Strickland and it was a terrible decision

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2021, 07:36 PM
Our program was such a mess after the great Stansbury ruined it. Nobody except Davis wanted our job. We had literally no options. Do I think Kermit had a good resume at that time? No, but we hired someone with no experience at all over Davis. That is all on Strickland and it was a terrible decision

The last sentence I agree with.

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 07:41 PM
I will say Kermit seems to be cursed by Crean for some reason

maroonmania
02-13-2021, 07:56 PM
Yes, I would take Stans over what we have now but would hope we could get someone better than a washed up Howland or a retread Stans. But at least I never totally lost interest in any MSU team coached by Stans like I have with Howland.

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 08:01 PM
Yes, I would take Stans over what we have now but would hope we could get someone better than a washed up Howland or a retread Stans. But at least I never totally lost interest in any MSU team coached by Stans like I have with Howland.

I will agree with that. At this point I really expect to lose every game. I never felt that apathetic with Stans

parabrave
02-13-2021, 08:40 PM
Nope.

parabrave
02-13-2021, 08:41 PM
But I would take Ninja over Cohen.

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 08:54 PM
But I would take Ninja over Cohen.

Anyone who wouldn?t is completely brain dead

Dawgface
02-14-2021, 01:39 PM
Surely we could find some up and coming coach who would take the job. Stans? Not happening.

gtowndawg
02-14-2021, 02:15 PM
Wait, last time I looked at Elitedawgs (been a while) we were lucky to have Howland. Something change?

Todd4State
02-14-2021, 06:04 PM
Why can't some of our fans let Stansbury go?

confucius say
02-14-2021, 06:50 PM
Why can't some of our fans let Stansbury go?

Bc we had our most successful 10 year run ever under him and have been wandering in the wilderness for the 10 years since he left, and our program now has almost zero fan support whereas we had sold out arenas under stans.

All that said, I know stans is never coming back and I'm fine with that. This was just a thought exercise.

was21
02-14-2021, 07:27 PM
Doesn't matter...he wouldn't come back

Dawsonmsu
02-14-2021, 08:15 PM
Our program may never recover. We have the lowest men’s basketball attendance in the SEC.

Big4Dawg
02-14-2021, 08:22 PM
That?s an us problem more an howland problem. We finished 4th in the SEC last year.

Dawsonmsu
02-14-2021, 08:35 PM
You guys don’t get it! We literally have the most basic and vanilla offense of any team in the SEC, and you wonder why our fans don’t attend home basketball games? Check out some of our offensive sets the next time we take the floor.

Todd4State
02-14-2021, 09:01 PM
Bc we had our most successful 10 year run ever under him and have been wandering in the wilderness for the 10 years since he left, and our program now has almost zero fan support whereas we had sold out arenas under stans.

All that said, I know stans is never coming back and I'm fine with that. This was just a thought exercise.

But that doesn't mean our program would have that kind of success again. See Ron Polk II. That's what I don't get about those people.

confucius say
02-14-2021, 10:27 PM
But that doesn't mean our program would have that kind of success again. See Ron Polk II. That's what I don't get about those people.

True. No guarantee for sure.

Todd4State
02-14-2021, 11:49 PM
True. No guarantee for sure.

To me, it seems like what typically happens is when you bring back a successful coach it rarely works out and typically is worse.

It all seems to me like we MSU fans want to see something more exciting on offense- at least for football and basketball- but because we have a team that isn't oriented or maybe built for that we usually end up with a major growing pain when we make a hire like that. And then we lose and people are still pissed off. Of course some of those same people will come back and say "We shouldn't have ever switched to that offense" after wanting a change.

So it is what it is. At this point I expect Cohen to make a bad hire so I guess I've decided to go with the keep Howland and hope for a one and done tournament run with this group over a complete rebuild.

PGHBulldogBG
02-15-2021, 08:21 AM
We have to keep Howland as frustrating as it is until we know someone other than Cohen will make the basketball hire or Cohen is out the door.

maroonmania
02-15-2021, 08:46 AM
That?s an us problem more an howland problem. We finished 4th in the SEC last year.

But still would have likely been outside of the NCAA tournament. Attendance for basketball when the program is mediocre will always be a challenge for MSU for several reasons. A lot of the older loyal and local MSU basketball fans have been alienated by the administration reseating policies trying to grab more money, plus the fact that many are still unhappy about the way the Stans firing went down. So that really hurts. Then, on top of that, we have the most remote fanbase in the SEC which is a real problem for basketball which has multiple games per week. So when our product is not that good, and every game is available to watch on TV or online, then why spend 4 or 5 hours roundtrip traveling back and forth to Starkville? Another problem is Howland has done literally nothing to try and engage with the students to get more of them to come to games. And, in Starkville, you really need students coming to games to have a decent weekday crowd. Yet, with all of that, I've still seen some really good Saturday crowds at the Hump during Howland's tenure when a big game was on tap, and unfortunately, we've lost nearly all of those. Unfortunately, that doesn't really inspire many folks to keep coming back.

Offshore Dawg
02-15-2021, 02:43 PM
My apathy level is too high for basketball to even give a shit anymore.

Lord McBuckethead
02-15-2021, 04:45 PM
I would take him back. The stans era of basketball was my favorite time a bulldog basketball fan. Other than the final 4 years, which I was too young to appreciate.

R2Dawg
02-15-2021, 10:48 PM
I would take him back. The stans era of basketball was my favorite time a bulldog basketball fan. Other than the final 4 years, which I was too young to appreciate.

It would be tempting. I've been following MSU basketball and all sports since late 70s/early 80s. Stans certainly had a great run for about 10 years and probably the best stretch in MSU history. We have had some great teams over the years but nothing for many years like Stans did. The sequels are never as good as the first one.

Cohen has to go before the next hire is made. Cohen needs to go now and the next guy needs to start basketball searches - men and women and find a young energetic coach to bring us out of the rut.

maroonmania
02-16-2021, 10:08 AM
It would be tempting. I've been following MSU basketball and all sports since late 70s/early 80s. Stans certainly had a great run for about 10 years and probably the best stretch in MSU history. We have had some great teams over the years but nothing for many years like Stans did. The sequels are never as good as the first one.

Cohen has to go before the next hire is made. Cohen needs to go now and the next guy needs to start basketball searches - men and women and find a young energetic coach to bring us out of the rut.

Yea, while I would take Stans back I do realize that rehiring someone rarely ever works out well (see Polk II). But even the year we let Stans go, though the end of the year was disappointing, we were still a 1 seed in the NIT. I feel like the big mistake we made was not giving him one more year with Sidney out the door to see if he could get the program culture straightened out. I think we owed him that for all he had done for the program, including recruiting most of the players that got us in the 96 Final Four. The Hawaii scene was bad but Renardo was just a cancer on the program while here. Stans took a chance with him and it backfired but would have liked to have seen if he could have gotten things turned back around. Nobody we've ever had involved with MSU basketball has ever worked harder in the recruiting game than Stansbury.

Johnson85
02-16-2021, 10:27 AM
Instead of staying with Ben or rolling the dice on a replacement, would you take stans back today?

I would keep Howland before going to Stans. They are pretty equivalent but Howland looks better now. If Howland is off the table, I would not rush to offer Stans. We certainly could do worse and I would go to Stans before hiring a nobody like we did with Rick Ray.

archdog
02-16-2021, 10:51 AM
I would keep Howland before going to Stans. They are pretty equivalent but Howland looks better now. If Howland is off the table, I would not rush to offer Stans. We certainly could do worse and I would go to Stans before hiring a nobody like we did with Rick Ray.

Agree, 100%. Imagine the energy Stans would bring to the hump. Although it would all be gone after the first time the team turns the ball over against a soft press.

tcdog70
02-16-2021, 07:13 PM
Agree, 100%. Imagine the energy Stans would bring to the hump. Although it would all be gone after the first time the team turns the ball over against a soft press.

Stans always had a PG that could handle a soft press. Plus Stans would throw the 1-3-1 trap out there , and it was effective.

BB30
02-18-2021, 02:17 PM
Stans always had a PG that could handle a soft press. Plus Stans would throw the 1-3-1 trap out there , and it was effective.

Yall must not remember trying to watch a Stans team break a zone defense...

maroonmania
02-18-2021, 02:32 PM
Yall must not remember trying to watch a Stans team break a zone defense...

Howland has taught me that I only thought Stansbury's offense struggled against a zone. I didn't know how good we had it back then.