PDA

View Full Version : Significant ice storm to potentially unfold Monday

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2021, 07:46 AM
Make plans now for potential impassable roads and power outages. Thoughts and prayers to grocery store workers this weekend.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuBt-LaXUAY8em3.jpg

Martianlander
02-12-2021, 08:49 AM
Is it going up into north Mississippi also?

SaintDawg
02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
We are loooong overdue for one of these. Bundle up and stay safe yall.

Johnson85
02-12-2021, 09:21 AM
Make plans now for potential impassable roads and power outages. Thoughts and prayers to grocery store workers this weekend.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuBt-LaXUAY8em3.jpg

They have a projection for how long the ice will stick? Going to get warm enough to melt away in a day or two? Or are they thinking it might take a while?

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2021, 09:47 AM
Martian,

Yes, it will be for north MS, too.

Johnson,

At least through Wednesday when it may get above freezing and rain. However, there's some hints Wednesday may be below freezing and we get another ice storm which may be bigger than the one for Monday. It just too early to know now exactly how cold it will be.

parabrave
02-12-2021, 12:35 PM
Supposed to be the entire state with the exception of southern Harrison and Jackson cts. And next wknd looking rough also.

Dawg_Lover
02-12-2021, 01:31 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/XYnnv4cw/ADABAE6-D-D7-A3-4-BA1-A7-DD-D2-CB503-F4001.png
This will be on top of the ice we still have in N MS from Wed PM & Thurs AM.

Matt3467
02-12-2021, 01:31 PM
Is it just me or has weather forecasting gotten less reliable as the years go by? A day or so ago a few models were predicting up to a foot of snow in the delta.

CaptainObvious
02-12-2021, 06:04 PM
Predicting measurable snow in the south is normally a crap shoot because the ground is usually too warm and the snow and sleet melt from below quickly. But with this pattern the ground is going to be pretty much frozen when the moisture arrives making for a spread of 1-8 inches depending on air temps. Gonna be a dry snow at temps in the low 20?s and teens. Heck, they are saying freezing rain at temps in the teens. That has to be a very shallow column of Air temps in the teens for it to stay as rain all the way to the ground.

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2021, 06:25 PM
Is it just me or has weather forecasting gotten less reliable as the years go by? A day or so ago a few models were predicting up to a foot of snow in the delta.

Those are individual model runs and they change every time they update and different models can say different things. Nailing winter storms in the south is next to impossible even 3 days out due to all the nuances that go into it. One little small tweak can change everything.

SWC_MSU
02-12-2021, 06:50 PM
Honestly, I think the opposite. The models have come such a long way. Snowstorms can be tricky but man it?s amazing to see them work during hurricane season.

DownwardDawg
02-12-2021, 08:50 PM
Honestly, I think the opposite. The models have come such a long way. Snowstorms can be tricky but man it?s amazing to see them work during hurricane season.

I agree. Hurricane and severe weather forecasts are sooooo much better.

RocketDawg
02-12-2021, 08:54 PM
Let's hope the upcoming ice storm isn't as bad as this one (which was mostly sleet, not freezing rain): https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/2015/02/record_storm_coated_north_alab.html

Rawdawg
02-12-2021, 09:04 PM
How screwed is everyone trying to get to Dallas for the baseball tournament?

Hambone
02-12-2021, 09:20 PM
Might wanna go ahead and get you a weekend subscription and watch it at home

trojandawg
02-12-2021, 09:55 PM
Travel is looking dicey now on Wednesday Thursday if if another system comes right behind it

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2021, 10:58 PM
Now have light freezing rain in Starkvegas.

Joebob
02-12-2021, 11:06 PM
I'm doubtful they're going to start that tournament on time. They've now revised the forecast here (DFW) to not get above freezing until Saturday. And the field may be covered in snow until then.

confucius say
02-12-2021, 11:10 PM
I'm doubtful they're going to start that tournament on time. They've now revised the forecast here (DFW) to not get above freezing until Saturday. And the field may be covered in snow until then.

The roof is closed right?

parabrave
02-13-2021, 12:13 AM
The roof is closed right?

Yep but you still have to get there. For example see Fort Worth

Saltydog
02-13-2021, 10:38 AM
Thanks for posting this........I was still in HS and living in NE MS at the time and we were in the eye of that storm......Where I lived, it was MUCH worse than the ice storm of '94.......We missed school for over a week......

confucius say
02-13-2021, 10:57 AM
Yep but you still have to get there. For example see Fort Worth

Yea I just meant the field be covered in snow

DownwardDawg
02-13-2021, 12:46 PM
Well, unfortunately my wife has to work Monday all day. Essential worker so there's no calling in. I'll driver her and pick her up Monday night at 7:00 pm but I'm really dreading it. Gotta drive from Collins to Hattiesburg and back.

Indndawg
02-13-2021, 03:42 PM
StarkVegas and other Wx gurus. The UKMET is INSISTING on a yuge snow storm. Should we value what its saying or disregard as an outlier?

starkvegasdawg
02-13-2021, 03:44 PM
StarkVegas and other Wx gurus. The UKMET is INSISTING on a yuge snow storm. Should we value what its saying or disregard as an outlier?

For all but extreme NW MS I'm going with outlier. As it looks now the cold air is just too shallow to support snow for most of the state. Now if that changes, and I hope it does, then the UKMET will be where snowfall accumulations end up.

SWC_MSU
02-13-2021, 04:13 PM
For all but extreme NW MS I'm going with outlier. As it looks now the cold air is just too shallow to support snow for most of the state. Now if that changes, and I hope it does, then the UKMET will be where snowfall accumulations end up.

Any chance that can change or do you think it?s pretty clear this is going to be an ice event?

parabrave
02-13-2021, 04:48 PM

The next incoming storm on wed/http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=wc&w3=sfcwind&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=rain&w8=thunder&w9=snow&w10=fzg&w11=sleet&AheadHour=0&&FcstType=digital&textField1=30.4869&textField2=-89.0587&site=lixthrus is going to be another one to watch for.

Cowbell
02-13-2021, 04:57 PM

Roads will be clear by Friday here unless forecast changes.

Saltydog
02-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Not sure where you live but from what I'm reading, this thing is all over the place. WTVA in Tupelo shows anywhere from 5-8 inches of snow and ice and the NWS is saying one inch. That's a huge difference.

Rick Danko
02-13-2021, 05:40 PM
Highway 82 in the Indianola area here. Any thoughts on what we may see? I just got a notice which changed forecast from Winter storm watch to Warning. Any thoughts what we are looking at in this area?

RocketDawg
02-13-2021, 06:09 PM
Highway 82 in the Indianola area here. Any thoughts on what we may see? I just got a notice which changed forecast from Winter storm watch to Warning. Any thoughts what we are looking at in this area?

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=157&y=94&site=jan&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=157&map_y=94#.YChb6C1h2b8

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-13-2021, 07:13 PM
I just got an alert for west central Mississippi and Monday with 6-8" of snow. Please tell me that's wrong!

starkvegasdawg
02-13-2021, 07:15 PM

Official warning wording is up to 3" of snow and 0.5" of ice. However, for western MS the snow totals could be substantially more. All depends on how much deep layer cold air can work in.

DownwardDawg
02-13-2021, 09:22 PM
I just got an alert for west central Mississippi and Monday with 6-8" of snow. Please tell me that's wrong!

Right now I would be thrilled with that. Vs the freezing rain/black ice projections.........

PGHBulldogBG
02-13-2021, 09:28 PM
I?m not a weather expert but I took some classes at state. It?s my understanding the further East the low tracks the more snow for MS and if it tracks further west it would be more rain or ice. I?m paying attention to this because in Southwest PA we are on the snow/ ice line. If it tracks east MS and my area get snow. If it tracks west are looking at an awful ice storm

starkvegasdawg
02-13-2021, 09:54 PM
I?m not a weather expert but I took some classes at state. It?s my understanding the further East the low tracks the more snow for MS and if it tracks further west it would be more rain or ice. I?m paying attention to this because in Southwest PA we are on the snow/ ice line. If it tracks east MS and my area get snow. If it tracks west are looking at an awful ice storm

All depends on the position of the low and how the cold air wraps around and how deep the cold air is. Right now the forecast is for a very shallow layer of cold air and once you get up a couple thousand feet the temp is in the 40's and 50's.

TNDawg35
02-13-2021, 10:01 PM
My question is will I have to work Monday in Arlington driving from my home in Covington...

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 01:01 AM
As we draw nearer to the event I wish I could say the models were all coming into agreement on what to expect, but that's just not the case. As is often the case, they are struggling mightily to figure out the depth of the cold air. That's why some are calling for a major ice storm, some a major snow storm, and some in the middle.

Here are my $0.02.

It will be unholy balls cold...this isn't the technical term for it, but adequately describes the situation. Places north and west of the Natchez Trace will see lows in the mid single digits and sub zero wind chills. Highs may struggle to reach 20. East of the Trace lows will still hit the low teens and stay in the upper 20's for highs. Wind chills will approach zero. What is unknown is how deep this layer of cold air will be. Work models are indicating it will only be a couple thousand feet deep which will allow for more freezing rain... especially points east. Areas more towards the delta may see more of a sleet/snow mix and less freezing rain. However, recent trends have pushed the area of more substantial snow to cover more of the state and the heaviest freezing rain into AL. Just have to see how it plays out. Somewhere, a corridor of significant freezing rain is going to set up. Currently, that looks to be along and near the Trace where amounts ranging from 1/4" - 3/4" could be common with locally higher amounts. I don't have to tell you that will lead to impassable roads and widespread power outages. Snow/sleet accumulations in this area could reach 1-3". West of this line where it is more snow and sleet you could see snow/sleet accumulations in the range of 5-9" with higher amounts possible. Again, though...recent trends are trying to slide this all further east and if that happens you could see 4-8" snow/sleet into the golden triangle and the heaviest ice more from a Meridian to Gordo, AL, line. There's just no way to know right now where that will set up. Regardless, these temps will allow for maximum accumulation and ice accretion. Even an inch or two of snow/sleet and 0.1" of ice will turn roads into skating rinks. I would advise if you live north of Jackson to restrict travel Monday to only emergency or absolute necessity in nature. Ice covered roads, falling limbs and power lines will make travel extremely treacherous. This is shaping up to be a potential high impact event. If you still need to get out to get supplies I'd try to make that happen by noon tomorrow. Batteries, water, meds, candles, foods that don't need to be heated, charcoal, etc. Make the elderly you know are aware of what's possible and are prepared. The hardest hit areas, particularly with ice, may be a few days without power. Have your vehicles full of gas so you can use it to charge your phones. Don't do anything stupid like having generators indoors pumping out carbon monoxide. If you do use your car to charge your phone and the engine has to be running, make sure your garage door is at least open some to allow ventilation.

Oh, and keep an eye on next Wednesday. We may be doing all this over again then. Temps may be barely warm enough by then to mix in some rain, but that remains to be seen.

confucius say
02-14-2021, 05:08 AM
You the man. Good info.

Bring your pets inside too.

SaintDawg
02-14-2021, 07:31 AM
SVD, thanks for everything you do. Your info is invaluable.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 07:46 AM
Light snow and freezing rain have now entered the MS Delta moving NE and will over spread north MS as the day goes on. This is not the main event. This is just the appetizer portion of the event, but could still produce a few slick spots.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 07:49 AM
SVD, thanks for everything you do. Your info is invaluable.

I appreciate I that. You, too, Confucius and all the others that have given words of thanks and encouragement. Sounds weird but bad weather is my escape. If I need to de-stress and unwind just give me a thunderstorm.

msbulldog
02-14-2021, 07:58 AM
Thanks SVD, I look to you more than typical weather reporting.

Buddy
02-14-2021, 09:25 AM
Thanks SVD. Once we get past the Monday weather event, would like to hear your thoughts on driving conditions along I-20 between MS and Arlington on Thursday as there are many of us hoping to make that drive.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 09:33 AM
Starting to get reports of ice covered roads in the Tupelo and Corinth areas. This is due to light freezing rain and freezing fog. Alcorn, Itawamba, and Lee counties are the ones I have seen specifically mentioned.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 09:35 AM
Thanks SVD. Once we get past the Monday weather event, would like to hear your thoughts on driving conditions along I-20 between MS and Arlington on Thursday as there are many of us hoping to make that drive.

May have to remind me. Early take is that it will depend on the midweek system. Here in MS it's possible it will be rain or mixed with rain, but I'm not sure about LA and TX.

William Tecumsah Sherman
02-14-2021, 09:41 AM
Houston TX has projected 5 inches of snow!

HaggardDawg
02-14-2021, 10:28 AM
About to leave Starkville for Jackson. Are we in the clear if we leave Starkville by 10?

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 10:35 AM
About to leave Starkville for Jackson. Are we in the clear if we leave Starkville by 10?

I would think so. All the issues currently look to be in the north part of the state.

HaggardDawg
02-14-2021, 10:38 AM
Thanks SVD. I have a wife and two younguns in the car and after seeing the videos in Ft. Worth, I'm freaked out a little about driving but we'll take it slow

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Thanks SVD. I have a wife and two younguns in the car and after seeing the videos in Ft. Worth, I'm freaked out a little about driving but we'll take it slow

Watch bridges and if you see anything falling realize it is not melting and forming ice on the roads.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 10:55 AM
I'm now seeing sleet and freezing rain popping around and SW of Jackson. No reports on whether it's reaching the ground, but it looks like Jackson might not be perfectly safe. Hopefully the interstate stays ok for you.

parabrave
02-14-2021, 12:59 PM
You can go to MSDOT and they have all road reports and Cameras, a few of which are working, to get current conditions. Check out the cameras around southhaven/

Activated Alpha
02-14-2021, 01:06 PM
Hospital here in Jackson is bunking us up tonight so people can work tomorrow. Nervous about leaving the wife home with all the young boys, but not like I can call out. Only thing I worry about is them losing power and me being stuck up at the hospital for several days

Roy Munson
02-14-2021, 02:04 PM
Hey man, I land in Birmingham around 6:15 tonight. Probably be out of there around 6:45 and head towards Starkville or Fulton, ms. How bad are you thinking it will be headed to either of those 2 places? Would one be safer you think?

SilentSteel16
02-14-2021, 02:35 PM
Wx guys... I am heading home from flying in GoM Tuesday morning around 5 am (before sunrise). Going to be heading from Galliano,La to Brandon,MS all I55. Not looking forward to it. From our in house reports it looks like the problem area will be Mccomb and North on 55. I hope with the traffic, by the time I get there the sun will be up. What are y’all seeing forecast wise

Wade Garrett
02-14-2021, 03:09 PM
Starting to get reports of ice covered roads in the Tupelo and Corinth areas. This is due to light freezing rain and freezing fog. Alcorn, Itawamba, and Lee counties are the ones I have seen specifically mentioned.

My wife and I went through there this morning on our way home from Muscle shoals. It was a long ride. Went 40 mph from Corinth to Hwy 302 in DeSoto Co. I69 and I55 were in great shape. Also I appreciate all the info you give us.

William Tecumsah Sherman
02-14-2021, 03:11 PM
I55 is closed in both directions near Terry. Had 4 wrecks and they shut it down.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 03:23 PM
Hey man, I land in Birmingham around 6:15 tonight. Probably be out of there around 6:45 and head towards Starkville or Fulton, ms. How bad are you thinking it will be headed to either of those 2 places? Would one be safer you think?

Hope your car can ice skate. Not trying to be a smartass but it looks like Starkville is about an hour away from precip onset. Already had some light flurries. Once it starts I expect road conditions to take a dive in a hurry. Major highways will be last but even they won't last much longer. North MS is already getting ice covered roads so Starkville would be better than Fulton but by then I'm not sure by how much.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 03:25 PM
Wx guys... I am heading home from flying in GoM Tuesday morning around 5 am (before sunrise). Going to be heading from Galliano,La to Brandon,MS all I55. Not looking forward to it. From our in house reports it looks like the problem area will be Mccomb and North on 55. I hope with the traffic, by the time I get there the sun will be up. What are y’all seeing forecast wise

Tuesday morning will not be any better. It will be the coldest part of arctic outbreak and that will flash freeze any precip on the roads.

parabrave
02-14-2021, 03:42 PM
I55 is closed in both directions near Terry. Had 4 wrecks and they shut it down.

Check the MDOT cameras in the JAN area. every overpass is iced over.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 03:46 PM
Here we go, ladies and gentlemen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuNu9OcWgAE7kZf.jpg

DownwardDawg
02-14-2021, 04:29 PM
Wx guys... I am heading home from flying in GoM Tuesday morning around 5 am (before sunrise). Going to be heading from Galliano,La to Brandon,MS all I55. Not looking forward to it. From our in house reports it looks like the problem area will be Mccomb and North on 55. I hope with the traffic, by the time I get there the sun will be up. What are y?all seeing forecast wise

Interesting. Hope you make it. All flights from my platform have been cancelled for the next few days. We aren't letting anyone crew change until this is over. PHI says may be Saturday before we get our folks out due to backed up flights.
Glad I'm home.

Churchill
02-14-2021, 04:35 PM
SVD, have any of the models been doing a better job than the others with this system ? Also I would like to join the others in thanking you for taking the time to keep us informed . I know you would probably warn me and others not to do so but I look forward to your take and comments more than I do the weather "services". Please keep up the good work.

Dolphus Raymond
02-14-2021, 04:39 PM
I reside in the ?extreme threat? area for icing. I hope that it will transition to sleet and snow quickly and lesson the ice threat a bit. I never thought I would ever become concerned about a winter storm, but here I am.

Roy Munson
02-14-2021, 04:41 PM
Thanks man, figured as much. Looks like the options are to be an idiot and chance the last hour of the drive to either place or hunker down in bham til at least Wednesday but hell a degree or two lower on Wednesday and I'm stranded there til the wknd it looks like.

Commercecomet24
02-14-2021, 04:52 PM
Appreciate y'all's info! How you think it's going to be for us here in Jones county? Thanks!

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 05:18 PM
SVD, have any of the models been doing a better job than the others with this system ? Also I would like to join the others in thanking you for taking the time to keep us informed . I know you would probably warn me and others not to do so but I look forward to your take and comments more than I do the weather "services". Please keep up the good work.

Not really. Even this evening there's a huge discrepancy. The GFS first called this storm a couple weeks ago so I'll give it credit for that. The euro has been garbage this time out. In the medium range models the NAM hasn't been too bad I don't guess.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 05:21 PM
Appreciate y'all's info! How you think it's going to be for us here in Jones county? Thanks!

I would prepare for a major icing event. Things are set up textbook for maximum icing accumulation.

yjnkdawg
02-14-2021, 05:41 PM
Always appreciate your info, Vegas. What would be the reason for the Extreme area by the NWS and then just to the east of there they are showing the same as they are to the west of the Extreme area (2 to 6 inches of sleet and snow). Local Jackson meteorologists haven't mentioned anything about the Extreme designation on their twitter feeds.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 05:57 PM
Always appreciate your info, Vegas. What would be the reason for the Extreme area by the NWS and then just to the east of there they are showing the same as they are to the west of the Extreme area (2 to 6 inches of sleet and snow). Local Jackson meteorologists haven't mentioned anything about the Extreme designation on their twitter feeds.

The extreme area is for an expected band of freezing rain to set up. The red for 6" will be to the west of the extreme area and to the East it will be closer to the 2".

yjnkdawg
02-14-2021, 06:01 PM
The extreme area is for an expected band of freezing rain to set up. The red for 6" will be to the west of the extreme area and to the East it will be closer to the 2".

Thanks! Man, I pray that doesn't materialize.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 06:10 PM
Thanks! Man, I pray that doesn't materialize.

Just reading some information from a Jackson NWS met and he was saying, while not likely, some parts of the delta may see over a foot of snow.

dstatechamps
02-14-2021, 06:12 PM

Commercecomet24
02-14-2021, 06:16 PM
I would prepare for a major icing event. Things are set up textbook for maximum icing accumulation.

I hate to hear that but very much appreciate the info. Thanks again, y'all are invaluable!

parabrave
02-14-2021, 06:19 PM
Just reading some information from a Jackson NWS met and he was saying, while not likely, some parts of the delta may see over a foot of snow.

Don't forget about Thrusday and friday.

msbulldog
02-14-2021, 06:30 PM
Icy rain just started here in W. Monroe, I'm about 3/4 mi. from I-20.

dstatechamps
02-14-2021, 06:36 PM

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 06:50 PM
Don't forget about Thrusday and friday.

Just doing one storm at a time. The next one may be confined to the NW delta although at least one model is sending another major ice storm through the same area as this one.

parabrave
02-14-2021, 06:52 PM
Just doing one storm at a time. The next one may be confined to the NW delta although at least one model is sending another major ice storm through the same area as this one.

A worse problem for next weekend is if the temps warm up then refreeze black Ice will form.

RocketDawg
02-14-2021, 07:15 PM
This is a historic storm for Mississippi and points westward. TWC just said that the Dallas/Ft Worth NWS issued a wind chill warning for the first time ever. And the entire state of Texas is under a winter storm warning. That also has never happened before.

Here, in north central Alabama, the cold air has pretty much stayed to our west. It's cold, but nothing highly unusual. The high today was 31, 15-20 degrees warmer than Memphis. We have a winter storm warning too, but I'm thinking we in Huntsville/Madison will stay just to the east of most of it and nothing terribly unusual will happen here.

We'll see how it looks tomorrow morning.

RocketDawg
02-14-2021, 07:19 PM
Interesting. Hope you make it. All flights from my platform have been cancelled for the next few days. We aren't letting anyone crew change until this is over. PHI says may be Saturday before we get our folks out due to backed up flights.
Glad I'm home.

Where are you? Are you talking about FedEx flights out of Memphis?

RocketDawg
02-14-2021, 07:25 PM

I don't think I'd attempt that trip during the day, let alone at night, under these conditions. It will get worse the farther west you go. Taking I-22 would likely be less hilly than going to Starkville through Tuscaloosa, and it doesn't have much traffic anyway, so it would be the best of the two. Wouldn't be surprised to see the roads heading into Mississippi to just be closed entirely.

dstatechamps
02-14-2021, 07:27 PM

Add me to the list of folks thanking you for supplying the info. I'm a system engineer for a co-op up here and I read your posts like the gospel. That being said, what are you seeing for Lee/Itawamba counties?

Saltydog
02-14-2021, 07:35 PM
Hey Starkvegas, what's your take for Itawamba County? I live in the south part of the county and I'm still reading conflicting forecasts. I'm seeing 2" of accumulation or less with heavy icing and then I'm seeing icing of up to .5 inch with 3-5" of snow. Can you give me your take?

SilentSteel16
02-14-2021, 07:57 PM
Glad I'm home.
We still fly everyday, of course it has slowed down but mainly due to COVID and deep water changing their schedules. I though dictate where and when we fly, considering I am one of the 2 up front. Haha.

SilentSteel16
02-14-2021, 08:03 PM

He is talking about flying to and from rigs/platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. 95 percent of all service runs out there go to South LA so it means a rough commute, through some notoriously bad kept up state roads

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 08:05 PM
Hey Starkvegas, what's your take for Itawamba County? I live in the south part of the county and I'm still reading conflicting forecasts. I'm seeing 2" of accumulation or less with heavy icing and then I'm seeing icing of up to .5 inch with 3-5" of snow. Can you give me your take?

I would expect it lose power if I was in Lee or Itawamba tomorrow. Everything we're seeing tonight is not the main event. It's just a little warm up. It's still a little iffy just precisely where that heavy band of freezing rain sets up so hard to say how bad it will get for a specific area. But the hardest hit areas will see widespread 0.5" ice accumulations with localized areas possibly up to an inch. Snow and sleet in these areas should max out At 1-3" with snow and sleet totals increasing rapidly as you go west of this band.

RocketDawg
02-14-2021, 08:08 PM
He is talking about flying to and from rigs/platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. 95 percent of all service runs out there go to South LA so it means a rough commute, through some notoriously bad kept up state roads

Thanks. So he literally meant a platform.

It would be helpful if members would post their location in their profiles.

Saltydog
02-14-2021, 08:19 PM
Thanks SVD.....I greatly appreciate your insight......

yjnkdawg
02-14-2021, 08:33 PM

I agree Vegas and you are doing a great job. Why would anybody look ahead at possibilities later on in the week , when we still have this current significant winter storm coming at us.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 09:15 PM
I agree Vegas and you are doing a great job. Why would anybody look ahead at possibilities later on in the week , when we still have this current significant winter storm coming at us.

Nothing wrong with looking ahead. I'm just trying to get a good grip on this one. Winter weather isn't my forte. I'm much more in my element with spring severe weather.

yjnkdawg
02-14-2021, 11:02 PM
Nothing wrong with looking ahead.[/B] I'm just trying to get a good grip on this one. Winter weather isn't my forte. I'm much more in my element with spring severe weather.

True. I just want us to get through this one and it hopefully will not be as bad as projected right now. Since Covid joined us early last year, and other out of town health issues I have been having to deal with, I haven't been able to post as much on ED as I used too concerning MSU, but when severe or hazardous weather is on the horizon, I always try to look on here to see what your thinking is.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2021, 11:14 PM
True. I just want us to get through this one and it hopefully will not be as bad as projected right now. Since Covid joined us early last year, and other out of town health issues I have been having to deal with, I haven't been able to post as much on ED as I used too concerning MSU, but when severe or hazardous weather is on the horizon, I always try to look on here to see what your thinking is.

Been looking at some of the latest hi res short range model runs coming in. While the gfs is still showing snow on top of the ice for the Starkville area, most of the these others are freezing rain and sleet only. Still showing ice accumulations in the 0.3 to 0.8 range. I honestly think some place is going to get an inch of ice. I just don't know where that place is.

parabrave
02-15-2021, 01:24 AM
Just saw a video out of San Antonio. Blowing snow.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2021, 01:48 AM
There is now winter precip falling in the Gulf of Mexico. Let that sink in for a moment. Snow and sleet landing in the Gulf. Oh, and if you live in eastern MS don't be surprised if you hear a clap or two of thunder tomorrow while it's sleeting and freezing raining.

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 09:19 AM

No. Helicopter flights out of Houma back and forth offshore.

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 09:23 AM
Thanks. So he literally meant a platform.

It would be helpful if members would post their location in their profiles.

Not sure how that would be helpful. Mine would say Covington County Mississippi but I was talking about offshore helicopter flights.

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 09:25 AM
I made the trip from 84 west of Collins to Hattiesburg and back. It wasn't bad but the worst is just starting. 84 has ice on bridges and I'm already losing some tree limbs, but 49 was pretty clear so far. I'm really worried about this evening.

Churchill
02-15-2021, 09:53 AM
We are having 30+ mph wind gusts in Madison and we're about 19 degrees.

edited to add: and thunder

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 10:19 AM
Thundering and lightning while sleeting/snowing. Lovely.

Bdawg
02-15-2021, 10:37 AM
Only sleet here in the delta so far. Thank goodness. No ice accumulation on trees or lines.

Dawgology
02-15-2021, 10:53 AM
Here in Columbus it?s a balmy 30 degrees and our ice appears to be melting. Odd. I?m not sure if I should be hopeful that we missed it or that the thing hasn?t hit us yet.

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 11:42 AM
It's 27 here and it just poured down rain for about 30 minutes. This is some strange weather.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2021, 11:43 AM
It's 27 here and it just poured down rain for about 30 minutes. This is some strange weather.

That's because 2,000 feet up the air is in the 50's right now.

Saltydog
02-15-2021, 11:44 AM
The ice storm here in '85 was the first and only time I've ever witnessed thunder with wintry weather. Of course, that ice storm was the storm of a century for parts of this area and NW Alabama. This will pale in comparison to that storm, which is good.

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 11:47 AM
That's because 2,000 feet up the air is in the 50's right now.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. All I know is that everything is covered in ice. Now it rained a lot and it's 27 degrees and windy. That can't be a good thing.

parabrave
02-15-2021, 11:54 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. All I know is that everything is covered in ice. Now it rained a lot and it's 27 degrees and windy. That can't be a good thing.

Got your Generator fully gassed?

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 11:57 AM
Got your Generator fully gassed?

Yep! Got plenty of gas and ran my generator the last 2 days to make sure.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-15-2021, 12:13 PM
About 4 inches of Sleet and 16 degrees in Western Union County...

parabrave
02-15-2021, 12:17 PM
Yep! Got plenty of gas and ran my generator the last 2 days to make sure.

And you have it outside??

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2021, 12:20 PM
So far all I've seen in Starkville is sleet. We may dodge the ice storm.

DLGDawg
02-15-2021, 12:50 PM
So far all I've seen in Starkville is sleet. We may dodge the ice storm.

NE Webster County too. All sleet. 2-3" guessing. Barely can see grass. Roads were instantly covered yesterday with the sleet that fell.

Looks like we'll miss the ice storm thankfully. Unless something builds behind what's coming through now.

PGHBulldogBG
02-15-2021, 01:56 PM
Since it seems like Mississippi got more ice than sleet, im assuming the ice moved East into Alabama? The storm is heading my way so I?m hoping the low tracks further East so western PA gets snow. I?m used to that just don?t want bad sleet

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 02:08 PM
And you have it outside??

Nah. I got it running in my living room. Lol. I kid I kid!!!!

parabrave
02-15-2021, 06:45 PM

When you are flying and you start to Ice you always climb to get to warmer air. I've flown into unforecasted icing conditions and iced up faster than you can say ohshit. Climbed 500 ft and got out of it. Of course this was 30 years ago in an huey before all the nice crap was out. Rotary Wing AC and ice don't mix well/

RocketDawg
02-15-2021, 07:29 PM
Not sure how that would be helpful. Mine would say Covington County Mississippi but I was talking about offshore helicopter flights.

In general, it would be helpful. You see a lot of times a poster referring to "here" when most probably don't know where "here" is. It's not a forum requirement though, just an option.

RocketDawg
02-15-2021, 07:34 PM
The ice storm here in '85 was the first and only time I've ever witnessed thunder with wintry weather. Of course, that ice storm was the storm of a century for parts of this area and NW Alabama. This will pale in comparison to that storm, which is good.

4 or 5 years ago we had some pretty heavy snow going on and there was quite a bit of thunder. In fact, that was the last decent snow we've had here. I think I had something like 9" on my car that was parked outside, but would have been more if done the official way to eliminate most of the packing. As always, amounts varied from place to place around the area. I can't remember if I heard thunder in '85 or not.

RocketDawg
02-15-2021, 07:38 PM

They kept predicting ice here (winter storm warning, ice storm warning) but this afternoon we had pretty heavy rain but the temperature went up from about 30 to 37, so nothing froze. Don't know how much rain we had because my rain gauge is either frozen or has a twig keeping the bucket from tipping. Temp is dropping now that the precip has passed.

We had some very light icing this morning but it melted by noon when the rain started in earnest.

TimberBeast
02-15-2021, 08:06 PM
On the Coast it doesn?t look like we have much of a chance of rain anymore. It showed about a 70% chance a few hours ago.

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 08:53 PM
Been snowing lightly for about an hour now. It'll be pretty and white in the morning. Nasty ice, but it'll be pretty.

DownwardDawg
02-15-2021, 08:58 PM
Made it to my wife's hospital and back with no issues. Glad to have the entire family back home together. The roads should be nasty in the morning. There were several wet areas on 49 and I hope people understand what that means for the night.