PDA

View Full Version : Miss. State vs Kentucky (Women's Basketball)

jdelta02
02-11-2021, 09:05 PM
Gameday
Miss. State vs Arkansas (8:00 pm, Fayetteville, Arkansas)

Starting 5
- Myah Taylor
- Aliyah Matharu
- Rickea Jackson
- Madison Hayes
- Jessika Carter

RocketDawg
02-11-2021, 09:12 PM
Over 5 minutes in and we still don't have a 2-pointer. Three 3's though (all Myah Taylor).

R2Dawg
02-11-2021, 09:15 PM
Gameday
Miss. State vs Arkansas (8:00 pm, Fayetteville, Arkansas)

Starting 5
- Myah Taylor
- Aliyah Matharu
- Rickea Jackson
- Madison Hayes
- Jessika Carter

Worst waste of talent in the country. We get the Covid excuse now but that ain't got nothing to do with it.

R2Dawg
02-11-2021, 09:17 PM
Horrible charging call by refs. Can refs get any worse on these calls?

ZedFedder
02-11-2021, 09:17 PM
It was a good run.

jdelta02
02-11-2021, 09:48 PM
Halftime
Miss. State 38
Arkansas 45

Myah Taylor 11 pts, 4 rbs, 4 assists

jdelta02
02-11-2021, 11:23 PM
Final
Miss. State 80
Arkansas 86

Myah Taylor 22 pts, 7 assists, 6 rbs, 1 stl, 2 to
Aliyah Matharu 17 pts, 2 assists, 1 stl, 4 to
Rickea Jackson 14 pts, 7 rbs, 3 assists,1 stl, 7 to
Jessika Carter 11 pts, 5 rbs, 2 assists, 1 stl, 2 to
Madison Hayes 8 pts, 5 rbs,1 blk, 0 to
JaMya Mingo-Young 5 pts, 1 rb, 2 assists, 1 stl, 1 to
Caterrion Thompson 3 pts, 1 rb, 0 to

Miss. State with 18 turnovers
Arkansas ...13 turnovers
Slocum 26 pts for Arkansas
Dungee 22 pts for Arkansas

Cooterpoot
02-11-2021, 11:29 PM
Fire her

Randolph Dupree
02-11-2021, 11:39 PM
Fire her

We should, but ask yourself if you think Cohen should be able to hire another coach? I've said it before, I hate to bash the guy (I know he loves MSU) but at some point you gotta admit the obvious. It's unfortunate but it is what it is at this point.

Cooterpoot
02-11-2021, 11:45 PM
We should, but ask yourself if you think Cohen should be able to hire another coach? I've said it before, I hate to bash the guy (I know he loves MSU) but at some point you gotta admit the obvious. It's unfortunate but it is what it is at this point.

John Cohen is a worse AD than Nikki is a coach. But they both suck! I also don't believe he's got the balls to pull the trigger. This has been as bad or worse than Moorhead
Our president doesn't have the balls to make an AD change either. He's worthless too.

preachermatt83
02-11-2021, 11:50 PM
John Cohen hiring of Lemonis was a good hire but the way he handled it was atrocious. The leach hire was a good one. The NMP was an awful hire. The Moorhead hire was an awful. So far he has a D grade based on this. Pretty bad. He should be fired.

Commercecomet24
02-12-2021, 12:01 AM
In less than a season our program
has been destroyed. No excuses this wasn't a "rebuild" situation. All she had to do was steer the ship and she's run it aground. Smh.

notsofarawaydawg
02-12-2021, 12:21 AM
Pitiful, just pitiful. Fire her now. She just sits there all game. No coaching whatsoever.

DownwardDawg
02-12-2021, 12:23 AM
In less than a season our program
has been destroyed. No excuses this wasn't a "rebuild" situation. All she had to do was steer the ship and she's run it aground. Smh.

Agree. This should be a mid season firing and let an assistant take over. She's destroying one of our best programs in record time.

Commercecomet24
02-12-2021, 01:12 AM
Agree. This should be a mid season firing and let an assistant take over. She's destroying one of our best programs in record time.

Crazy how quickly bad leadership can trash a program. I generally like giving coaches a chance to do their thing but this team was already in place to win now and she's destroyed it that quick. It's clear she's not the answer. If she can't win with the talent she has now, she'll never win. Absolutely amazing.

HailStateSZN19
02-12-2021, 02:03 AM
Don?t we have like 3 former McDonald AA?s on the roster? Lol. It?s insane how fast NMP has sunken this program. We?re what like 8-6 right now. Won?t be shocked at all if OM beats us Sunday. That?d be 5 straight losses and the first time OM had beaten us in FOREVER. We lost 1 person that really made an impact last season, Danberry. The other 2 that transferred weren?t getting significant minutes and had been pretty well passed over. So that ain?t an excuse. This roster was ready to be the usual contender, but 2nd fiddle to USCe but give them hail type of team and a for sure tourney team with maybe Elite 8-ish type potential. Now we might not even make the tourney lol.

Yeah if she can?t win with what she got now, she ain?t ever gonna win. It?s baaaddddd. When?s the last time we only had effort to brag on for the women?s team? And that?s just tonight. Tonight was the first time they actually hustled in forever to me. NMP ain?t it....idk who is at this point but give her next season & it?s gonna be JoMo 2019 season alllllllll over again where you know what?s coming but you play it out anyways and drag it out a little longer and it?s just agonizing.

RocketDawg
02-12-2021, 07:52 AM

It could well be too late to salvage the program.

basedog
02-12-2021, 09:13 AM
Crazy how quickly bad leadership can trash a program. I generally like giving coaches a chance to do their thing but this team was already in place to win now and she's destroyed it that quick. It's clear she's not the answer. If she can't win with the talent she has now, she'll never win. Absolutely amazing.

I was just stunned at the lack of off side help on defense. No fundamental what so ever on defense. The kicker was with less than 7 seconds before half, timeout by the Hogs. They come out in a wide 1-2-2 offensive set, ball is at the top of the key and girl makes a move and drives to middle of lane and lays it up. No help or attempt to stop the ball but that has been going on all season. It's shocking for me as an ex basketball Coach. After that, the second half time after time the Hogs played one on one and we couldn't defend anyone inside nor outside. Nikki needs to go for lack of fundamentals and no discipline with lack of effort! Talk about a lazy soft program, shocking!

Commercecomet24
02-12-2021, 12:53 PM
I was just stunned at the lack of off side help on defense. No fundamental what so ever on defense. The kicker was with less than 7 seconds before half, timeout by the Hogs. They come out in a wide 1-2-2 offensive set, ball is at the top of the key and girl makes a move and drives to middle of lane and lays it up. No help or attempt to stop the ball but that has been going on all season. It's shocking for me as an ex basketball Coach. After that, the second half time after time the Hogs played one on one and we couldn't defend anyone inside nor outside. Nikki needs to go for lack of fundamentals and no discipline with lack of effort! Talk about a lazy soft program, shocking!

Great post! You nailed it! When I look at how teams play for a coach I look at how sound fundamentally they are and how hard they play. And this team is weak in both departments. Sad how quick this has happened!

R2Dawg
02-12-2021, 12:57 PM
It could well be too late to salvage the program.

In the era of transfer portal, Covid, BLM and everything else, yeah it is too late. Even if we did, with Cohen making next hire, it wouldn't matter. After Moorhead hire and now you destroy the best program on campus, Cohen has to go. He not only buried our WBB program, he put us in a spot to stay buried for years not being able to fire and move on.

The Pat Summit coaching tree is what the hire was based on; how bad is that? Most of Pat Summit explayers have been terrible coaches. That don't mean nothing.

R2Dawg
02-12-2021, 01:01 PM
Don?t we have like 3 former McDonald AA?s on the roster? Lol. It?s insane how fast NMP has sunken this program. We?re what like 8-6 right now. Won?t be shocked at all if OM beats us Sunday. That?d be 5 straight losses and the first time OM had beaten us in FOREVER. We lost 1 person that really made an impact last season, Danberry. The other 2 that transferred weren?t getting significant minutes and had been pretty well passed over. So that ain?t an excuse. This roster was ready to be the usual contender, but 2nd fiddle to USCe but give them hail type of team and a for sure tourney team with maybe Elite 8-ish type potential. Now we might not even make the tourney lol.

Yeah if she can?t win with what she got now, she ain?t ever gonna win. It?s baaaddddd. When?s the last time we only had effort to brag on for the women?s team? And that?s just tonight. Tonight was the first time they actually hustled in forever to me. NMP ain?t it....idk who is at this point but give her next season & it?s gonna be JoMo 2019 season alllllllll over again where you know what?s coming but you play it out anyways and drag it out a little longer and it?s just agonizing.

Thing is I saw way too much quit in too many players tonight. We still got a few players that want to win and fight but we got too many that just don't care, be the victim, walk down court, watch your man blow by you for an uncontested layup over and over. Folks will see how good Vic was as things go forward.

R2Dawg
02-12-2021, 01:03 PM

Agree. With less talent on a future team, we will be last in SEC - bookit.

basedog
02-12-2021, 01:30 PM
Agree. With less talent on a future team, we will be last in SEC - bookit.

I just can't understand not stopping dribble penetration, it's the number one thing you work on in defensive drills. I remember way back in the mid 70's going to basketball camps around the country and working, the thing being emphasized was run and jump (defense) I see good defensive teams doing this and not so good teams not. You teach stop the ball dribble with forcing them into double coverage and off side help intercepts passes. We are awful on defense, we do have some shooters on outside but not getting the ball inside more often is a mystery again. I have no cluewhat we are trying to do on both ends of the court. Enough from me, I'm pretty much done watching this crap. Btw, one last thing, I have no clue who our assistants are but I see no coaching from the sidelines from them.

StarkVegasSteve
02-12-2021, 03:30 PM
Look I understand that most think Penson is a terrible coach, and her track record so far has proven that. But this team was setup for failure and you could see it last year. They didn't play hard on defense, they wouldn't hustle, hell Vic broke one of his cardinal sins and had to play zone because they were so poor on defense. I've been trying to preach it for two years but the program that we had was built on tough grinders who played elite defense. Mix in an AA center and a couple of 3 and D players and you had unprecedented success. However, Vic got away from that and started star chasing towards the end. Now, Vic is a good enough coach to be able to still scheme and make it look ok and still have some success. But any other coach not named Graves, Aureimma, Staley, or Welz isn't going to be able to do that. If you give this coach time she'll make it a respectable program that can put together a tourney run every 2-3 years. Once you gain elite status in WBB it's really hard to ever lose it.

confucius say
02-12-2021, 03:46 PM
Look I understand that most think Penson is a terrible coach, and her track record so far has proven that. But this team was setup for failure and you could see it last year. They didn't play hard on defense, they wouldn't hustle, hell Vic broke one of his cardinal sins and had to play zone because they were so poor on defense. I've been trying to preach it for two years but the program that we had was built on tough grinders who played elite defense. Mix in an AA center and a couple of 3 and D players and you had unprecedented success. However, Vic got away from that and started star chasing towards the end. Now, Vic is a good enough coach to be able to still scheme and make it look ok and still have some success. But any other coach not named Graves, Aureimma, Staley, or Welz isn't going to be able to do that. If you give this coach time she'll make it a respectable program that can put together a tourney run every 2-3 years. Once you gain elite status in WBB it's really hard to ever lose it.

Respectable? A tourney run Every 2-3 years?

Elite programs make a tourney run at least 4 out of 5 years. When she took over we were coming off a sweet 16, finals, finals, elite 8 from 2016-2019 and were going to be a top 2 or 3 seed sans covid. She took over a top 5 program and a top 10 team and it is a disaster.

I just hope we beat OM Sunday for the 14th straight time or it will get real ugly for her.

Ari Gold
02-12-2021, 03:57 PM

Elite programs make a tourney run at least 4 out of 5 years. When she took over we were coming off a sweet 16, finals, finals, elite 8 from 2016-2019 and were going to be a top 2 or 3 seed sans covid. She took over a top 5 program and a top 10 team and it is a disaster.

I just hope we beat OM Sunday for the 14th straight time or it will get real ugly for her.

This team has talent... This team has no leadership..
I don’t watch much woman’s hoops, but I would bet outside of USC and AM we have more talent top to bottom than any of the other teams in the league...

StarkVegasSteve
02-12-2021, 04:05 PM

Elite was probably a bad word. Without Vic Schaefer you're not getting back to that level. Plain and Simple. I think respectable is something you can strive for. Just be a top 25 team year in and year out and try to make a run ever 2-3 years. However, I'm afraid our win streak over OM will come to an end on Sunday.

confucius say
02-12-2021, 04:37 PM
Elite was probably a bad word. Without Vic Schaefer you're not getting back to that level. Plain and Simple. I think respectable is something you can strive for. Just be a top 25 team year in and year out and try to make a run ever 2-3 years. However, I'm afraid our win streak over OM will come to an end on Sunday.

Yep. I fear the same.

Coach34
02-12-2021, 06:13 PM
If they lose to Mississippi this weekend- a winning record for the season then becomes a problem. That would be a helluva fall.

jdelta02
02-12-2021, 06:51 PM
Myah Taylor is the go to player offensively....right now. Best player on the team right now. Sidney Cooks hit a wall aftter the first first few games of the season. Same with JaMya-Mingo Young. Rickea Jackson hit a wall during the second half of the Kentucky game....basically hasn't completely recovered since. She appears to have regressed as the season has moved along. Jessika Carter appears to not be getting enough touches in the post. Could use more shot attempts from Aliyah Matharu. Also, the defense has struggled throughout the season. Good that they fought back in the Arkansas game, made a really close game of it going down the stretch. Keep your heads up..team didn't fold, just came up a little short.

New/newer players have opportunity to come into this program and gain a good bit of immediate playing time next season. Returning players will need to keep getting better..playing time is up for grabs as this season continues to move along, and going on into next season, .

RocketDawg
02-12-2021, 08:50 PM

They've gotten better at the same time we've gotten worse. Could it be coaching? **

Commercecomet24
02-12-2021, 09:55 PM
If they lose to Mississippi this weekend- a winning record for the season then becomes a problem. That would be a helluva fall.

I'm afraid it's coming.

schddog72
02-12-2021, 09:57 PM
Myah Taylor is the go to player offensively....right now. Best player on the team right now. Sidney Cooks hit a wall aftter the first first few games of the season. Same with JaMya-Mingo Young. Rickea Jackson hit a wall during the second half of the Kentucky game....basically hasn't completely recovered since. She appears to have regressed as the season has moved along. Jessika Carter appears to not be getting enough touches in the post. Could use more shot attempts from Aliyah Matharu. Also, the defense has struggled throughout the season. Good that they fought back in the Arkansas game, made a really close game of it going down the stretch.

New/newer players have opportunity to come into this program and gain a good bit of immediate playing time next season. Returning players will need to keep getting better..playing time is up for grabs as this season continues to move along, and going on into next season, .

Welp there will be plenty of opportunity for new players to come in next year - after all the coming tidal wave of transfers OUT.

Simply put, UMissy made a very good hire; we made a poor one. Their AD did his homework; ours did not.

jdelta02
02-12-2021, 10:03 PM
Saw this tonight..... Miss. State signee Jasmine Shavers with 40 points tonight in 3 quarters of action....Texas Class 6A Region 2 playoffs (district). Been posting on this board about this kid. She trained up a lot with former NBA guard standout Jason Terry. He has indicated in the past that she is the best shooter that he has ever coached. She's listed as a 5-10 guard, and is good on defense as well. Also, currently leads DFW (Dallas Fort Worth area) in scoring. Shavers can fill it up. Also, Coach McCray and staff have the Temple transfer Ashley Jones expected eligible...next season. She can fill it up as well....including being AAC NewcomerOf the Year last season. Can't overlook the other talent coming in as well. Also, the coaching staff has spoken on looking at transfers (including portal, juco's, ect) for the late signing period.

Ari Gold
02-13-2021, 10:24 AM
Welp there will be plenty of opportunity for new players to come in next year - after all the coming tidal wave of transfers OUT.

Simply put, UMissy made a very good hire; we made a poor one. Their AD did his homework; ours did not.

Did they???
Just looked at their record.. they are 3-7 in the league with a win over Aub who is 0-11... I agree the bar wasn’t set very high by the last staff there , but to say she is a VERY good hire is a little premature ..

Cooterpoot
02-13-2021, 12:09 PM
Saw this tonight..... Miss. State signee Jasmine Shavers with 40 points tonight in 3 quarters of action....Texas Class 6A Region 2 playoffs (district). Been posting on this board about this kid. She trained up a lot with former NBA guard standout Jason Terry. He has indicated in the past that she is the best shooter that he has ever coached. She's listed as a 5-10 guard, and is good on defense as well. Also, currently leads DFW (Dallas Fort Worth area) in scoring. Shavers can fill it up. Also, Coach McCray and staff have the Temple transfer Ashley Jones expected eligible...next season. She can fill it up as well....including being AAC NewcomerOf the Year last season. Can't overlook the other talent coming in as well. Also, the coaching staff has spoken on looking at transfers (including portal, juco's, ect) for the late signing period.

We're the 3rd transfer for the Temple kid. She's got issues.