PDA

View Full Version : Defining our problem

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 01:09 AM
We need to define this to get everyone on the same page, and baseball does this very well.

In baseball, you have coaches and you have a manager. The coach's job is to teach skills like hitting, pitching, fielding, throwing, etc.., and I think MSU's football coaches do a pretty good job at this part of their job.

However, in baseball, you also have a manager. He is called a manager because, while he does coach some skills, his main job is to MANAGE the team. He decides who pitches, when to guys up in the bullpen, when to steal, when to bunt, etc.... IMO, this is where MSU is failing right now.

We are fairly well coached, but horribly managed. Like Buddy Bell poorly managed.

I know this sounds cliche, but our problem isn't coaching, it's managing. Hopefully, the administration at MSU will understand this and be able to separate the two because it's critical to understanding what the problem is.

I was conflicted as well until I thought about this. Hopefully, this will help you "conflicted" people compartmentalize your feelings and understand where the real issue lies.

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 01:21 AM
So fire mullen and keep the coaches? Sometimes i wonder if mullen is trying to do too much. Kind of a jack of all trades master of none. Maybe a lot of these coaching screw ups is because he is trying to be sp teams coach offensive coord and head coach.

Maybe he doesnt do well with delegating.

Of course that doesnt make up for Perkins having 17 carries and jrob 6

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 01:25 AM
So fire mullen and keep the coaches? Sometimes i wonder if mullen is trying to do too much. Kind of a jack of all trades master of none. Maybe a lot of these coaching screw ups is because he is trying to be sp teams coach offensive coord and head coach.

Maybe he doesnt do well with delegating.

Of course that doesnt make up for Perkins having 17 carries and jrob 6

Yea, not sure a new "manager" would want to keep all the coaches, but this is the problem. It's managing not coaching.

Problem is, until today, we were number 11 in the country in kick return yardage allowed. We are just poorly managed and aren't detail oriented. If Mullen can't fix that then he is going to have to go, because our players would have to be ungodly good to overcome his lack of managerial skills.

Political Hack
11-10-2013, 07:34 AM
that two minute drive before the half and a blocked punt...

that was the difference in the game. We played pretty well and bounced back from all of our miscues pretty well. Defense were ball hawks too. That was refreshing.

I don't think we have a coaching problem outside of a few bad play calls and personnel decisions. Those things can't be understood by fans though. If perk is a leader in the locker room, drives everyone else to work out harder, coaches the other players up, etc... does Dan want to set an example of benching a guy who does everything right?

he actually played better in spots last night too. He's just not the runner that JRob is.

Dawgface
11-10-2013, 07:43 AM
If perk is a leader in the locker room, drives everyone else to work out harder, coaches the other players up, etc... does Dan want to set an example of benching a guy who does everything right?

he actually played better in spots last night too. He's just not the runner that JRob is.

Easy answer is to place him less. He doesn't have to be benched completely.

Sienfield
11-10-2013, 07:58 AM
We need to define this to get everyone on the same page, and baseball does this very well.

In baseball, you have coaches and you have a manager. The coach's job is to teach skills like hitting, pitching, fielding, throwing, etc.., and I think MSU's football coaches do a pretty good job at this part of their job.

However, in baseball, you also have a manager. He is called a manager because, while he does coach some skills, his main job is to MANAGE the team. He decides who pitches, when to guys up in the bullpen, when to steal, when to bunt, etc.... IMO, this is where MSU is failing right now.

We are fairly well coached, but horribly managed. Like Buddy Bell poorly managed.

I know this sounds cliche, but our problem isn't coaching, it's managing. Hopefully, the administration at MSU will understand this and be able to separate the two because it's critical to understanding what the problem is.

I was conflicted as well until I thought about this. Hopefully, this will help you "conflicted" people compartmentalize your feelings and understand where the real issue lies.

I told a friend of mine several weeks ago that if Mullen would stay at home on game day our record would be a lot better, meaning that his managing the game is his main problem.

Bullmutt
11-10-2013, 03:21 PM
It used to be said all the time about Pat Dye during his days at Auburn: "He's the best coach in America... until game day.. A similar situation with Mullen.