PDA

View Full Version : MSU vs USCe basketball..

HoopsDawg
02-06-2021, 04:12 PM
Howland found a lineup by accident with Fountain at the 4.

BrunswickDawg
02-06-2021, 04:19 PM
On a 21-5 run

RocketDawg
02-06-2021, 04:20 PM
Fountain keeps stepping out of bounds though.

Lord McBuckethead
02-06-2021, 04:21 PM
Can they not make the floor 2 ft wider?

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:22 PM
4 freshmen on the court

HoopsDawg
02-06-2021, 04:22 PM
Fountain keeps stepping out of bounds though.

It's not so much Fountain. Tolu picked up 3 fouls and had to go to the bench and it's freed our offense up. All of the sudden the lane isn't clogged and we can let our guards do work. DJ and Iverson with 25 combined in the first half.

RocketDawg
02-06-2021, 04:23 PM
Frank Martin shaved his head. When did that happen? Hopefully not health issues.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:24 PM
Man, please get a basket here.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:25 PM
I love ado, but he makes me wanna punch an old lady on offense

HoopsDawg
02-06-2021, 04:26 PM

I don't know why we feed him the ball unless he's under the basket by himself.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:26 PM
It's not so much Fountain. Tolu picked up 3 fouls and had to go to the bench and it's freed our offense up. All of the sudden the lane isn't clogged and we can let our guards do work. DJ and Iverson with 25 combined in the first half.

Maybe next season...

D. Smith
Molinar
Stewart
Fountain
T. Smith?

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:27 PM
I don't know why we feed him the ball unless he's under the basket by himself.

Yep, we've had 2 big TOs trying to feed him this half. Don't feed ado! Let em get the rebound

RocketDawg
02-06-2021, 04:28 PM
Am I the only one who likes Fishback? He seems fair and insightful. I remember when he played for Auburn and he was quite a player.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2021, 04:29 PM
Am I the only one who likes Fishback? He seems fair and insightful. I remember when he played for Auburn and he was quite a player.

He and Bradley are good.

KOdawg1
02-06-2021, 04:36 PM
He's got the worst hands of any player I've ever seen in any sport. He's gonna drop the basketball at least once. Why anyone would willingly pass him the ball blows my mind.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:40 PM
What's y'all's opinion of fountain? It's very little playing time to judge him on, but he seems like he could be ok in time. If he catches a pass on the out of bounds line again though, I may swear him off forever haha

PGHBulldogBG
02-06-2021, 04:42 PM
We are shooting better and rebounding well, but turnovers and foul shooting is still bad

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:43 PM
D. Smith 3 straight shots. Can't think of a worse start

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:45 PM
4 straight shots.. like that 1 tho

KOdawg1
02-06-2021, 04:48 PM
What's y'all's opinion of fountain? It's very little playing time to judge him on, but he seems like he could be ok in time. If he catches a pass on the out of bounds line again though, I may swear him off forever haha
Good length. He'll be better when he adds mass. Good body control.

KOdawg1
02-06-2021, 04:49 PM
Run your offense through Stewart, Molinar, and Tolu. Not Smith.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:52 PM
Molinar, you should run sprints till you puke

Lord McBuckethead
02-06-2021, 04:54 PM
And the next 5 minutes is the game.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:57 PM
Man, I love that Molinar.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 04:58 PM
I don't understand how refs call some of these tie ups.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:00 PM
I feel like we're playing a mirror.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:06 PM
T. Smith has the potential to be all sec. Hopefully it happens next season

BayouDawg
02-06-2021, 05:07 PM
We look a lot better today. Pleased so far

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:09 PM
We look a lot better today. Pleased so far

TOs are still a problem. Wanted to see us take better care of ball

Lord McBuckethead
02-06-2021, 05:09 PM
Those 5 minutes 14-2 run. 2 turnovers. Not bad.

Lord McBuckethead
02-06-2021, 05:10 PM
Now the next 5 minutes could be the game. We need goog looks.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:10 PM
WHEN (not if) d. Smith cleans up his finishing at the rim, he's gonna be really good

BayouDawg
02-06-2021, 05:11 PM
TOs are still a problem. Wanted to see us take better care of ball

My expectations are extraordinarily low

BayouDawg
02-06-2021, 05:11 PM
WHEN (not if) d. Smith cleans up his finishing at the rim, he's gonna be really good

He?s got to learn that he is actually allowed to pass it on the fast break

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:12 PM
I'm telling ya... if we keep d. Smith, Molinar, Stewart, and t. Smith next year, watch out!

KOdawg1
02-06-2021, 05:14 PM
Lots of Lamar Peters in him. He's got the ability to create offense but he's can't finish.

RocketDawg
02-06-2021, 05:17 PM
Getting a lot of separation now. But it ain't over til it's over.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:17 PM
Our freshmen have played well today

BayouDawg
02-06-2021, 05:18 PM
Our freshmen have played well today

Yes they have. Hopefully it pays dividends next year

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Big stretch here with 3 freshmen in

BayouDawg
02-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Post showed good hands there even though he ended up dragging the pivot foot

Quaoarsking
02-06-2021, 05:22 PM
This is such a "what might have been" season. We could easily be NCAA Tournament bound if we'd just played to our potential and not choked away easier games.

RocketDawg
02-06-2021, 05:22 PM
Ado seeemed surprised to get the ball, then slammed it.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:23 PM
Ado seeemed surprised to get the ball, then slammed it.

Only shot I want him and Mathews taking

HoopsDawg
02-06-2021, 05:25 PM
We've played well today. Howland has found something with Fountain over Matthews and Davis. Post is giving better minutes. D. Smith needs to continue to get better. And we need to back it up against LSU on Wednesday.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2021, 05:26 PM
This is such a "what might have been" season. We could easily be NCAA Tournament bound if we'd just played to our potential and not choked away easier games.

It took Howland waaay to long to figure out the rotation. Jalen Johnson and Matthews were getting too many minutes. Cost us the Dayton game and a couple of other wins.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:27 PM
We've played well today. Howland has found something with Fountain over Matthews and Davis. Post is giving better minutes. D. Smith needs to continue to get better. And we need to back it up against LSU on Wednesday.

I really don't like that matchup Tuesday. They score so well. Hopefully we can surprise me

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:28 PM
It took Howland waaay to long to figure out the rotation. Jalen Johnson and Matthews were getting too many minutes. Cost us the Dayton game and a couple of other wins.

Has Johnson played today?

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:29 PM
Fountain earning mins. Just issued the dagger

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:30 PM
Great win

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Lots of family dogs gonna be kicked by state fans tonight... our fanbase hates a howland win

HoopsDawg
02-06-2021, 05:35 PM
Great win

Got to build on it. Came out next week and lay another stinker like that Arkansas game. Find a way to cut down the turnovers.

parabrave
02-06-2021, 05:54 PM
Fountain earning mins. Just issued the dagger

Coach said after last game that Fountain was going to get more mins.

trob115
02-06-2021, 05:55 PM
Lot of what if's this season. I am pleased we seeing fountain get some significant minutes. He could be a huge piece next year, we 15 pounds of muscle added. Garcia also is another freshman that has a chance to be really good.
IMO, Howland will be gone next year regardless. Privately, he's alluded to retiring. Hope he can make a deep run in the NCAA tourney next year and have our job look really attractive to a potential new coach.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:56 PM
Lot of what if's this season. I am pleased we seeing fountain get some significant minutes. He could be a huge piece next year, we 15 pounds of muscle added. Garcia also is another freshman that has a chance to be really good.
IMO, Howland will be gone next year regardless. Privately, he's alluded to retiring. Hope he can make a deep run in the NCAA tourney next year and have our job look really attractive to a potential new coach.

Howland making a tourney, and then walking away next season is a perfect situation for us.

BayouDawg
02-06-2021, 05:56 PM
Coach said after last game that Fountain was going to get more mins.

Ive been impressed with his play. I dont know if Matthews is d1 material. Maybe he improves and makes me eat crow though

msstate7
02-06-2021, 05:59 PM
Ive been impressed with his play. I dont know if Matthews is d1 material. Maybe he improves and makes me eat crow though

I like Matthews. I think he'll be our ado next season. We just can't play 2 ados

trob115
02-06-2021, 06:02 PM
Howland making a tourney, and then walking away next season is a perfect situation for us.

About as good as could be asked for by all parties. I will always be grateful for him pulling us out of the dumpster fire. Hopefully he can end it on a high note next season.

KOdawg1
02-06-2021, 06:17 PM
Lots of family dogs gonna be kicked by state fans tonight... our fanbase hates a howland win

Not true at all. I love winning. But it's hard to get too high about one win when he repeatedly squanders the momentum that come from those wins. Brian Hadad and Joel T. Coleman have it pegged on their podcast. We do enough to push the ball up the hill, and right when it comes time for us to get over the hump, we drop a big game and the ball comes crashing down. I think Howland is a decent coach. I think he used to be a very good coach. But he's not going to push the ball over the hill at MSU. It just comes down to if we're willing to be okay with that. Some are.

BayouDawg
02-06-2021, 06:18 PM
I like Matthews. I think he'll be our ado next season. We just can't play 2 ados

But at least adu makes above half his free throws. I dont know if Matthews is at 10 percent

msstate7
02-06-2021, 06:32 PM
Not true at all. I love winning. But it's hard to get too high about one win when he repeatedly squanders the momentum that come from those wins. Brian Hadad and Joel T. Coleman have it pegged on their podcast. We do enough to push the ball up the hill, and right when it comes time for us to get over the hump, we drop a big game and the ball comes crashing down. I think Howland is a decent coach. I think he used to be a very good coach. But he's not going to push the ball over the hill at MSU. It just comes down to if we're willing to be okay with that. Some are.

I said that in jest, but just look at the difference in post counts in a loss and a win. The main ones calling for howland's head won't acknowledge a good win, but they'll pile on on a loss when we're a dog to start with.

R2Dawg
02-06-2021, 07:20 PM

Not true. Bulldog fans love every Bulldog win whether by Croom, Moorhead, Leach or Howland.

We have a lot of winnable games coming. If we play well we could win 5-6 in a row and fight our way to the bubble.

I didn't get to see the whole game today but our issue has not been having some good games it has been consistency and giving away too many games - literally. We are one of worst TO teams in SEC and nation.

msstate7
02-06-2021, 07:30 PM
Not true. Bulldog fans love every Bulldog win whether by Croom, Moorhead, Leach or Howland.

We have a lot of winnable games coming. If we play well we could win 5-6 in a row and fight our way to the bubble.

I didn't get to see the whole game today but our issue has not been having some good games it has been consistency and giving away too many games - literally. We are one of worst TO teams in SEC and nation.

9th in sec in TO/game

Cowbell
02-06-2021, 07:33 PM

This is spot on

Jarius
02-07-2021, 12:38 AM
I said that in jest, but just look at the difference in post counts in a loss and a win. The main ones calling for howland's head won't acknowledge a good win, but they'll pile on on a loss when we're a dog to start with.

I feel like Howland deserves the fan reaction at this point in his career. If Mike Leach’s offense looks like it did in the middle of the year this year in his 6th year he will be headed to Key West. I don’t care how much roster turnover he’s had. Some of our losses are embarrassing the way we play. I’m not a basketball guy but it really does suck to be this apathetic towards any of our major sports the way me and a lot of other MSU fans are with men’s hoops. I just can’t get excited to watch his teams play. To be fair he has had some good teams that fans have not shown up for and the home crowd giving him absolutely nothing probably hurts us sometimes but it’s his job to make people want to watch.

Ari Gold
02-07-2021, 10:14 AM
I feel like Howland deserves the fan reaction at this point in his career. If Mike Leach’s offense looks like it did in the middle of the year this year in his 6th year he will be headed to Key West. I don’t care how much roster turnover he’s had. Some of our losses are embarrassing the way we play. I’m not a basketball guy but it really does suck to be this apathetic towards any of our major sports the way me and a lot of other MSU fans are with men’s hoops. I just can’t get excited to watch his teams play. To be fair he has had some good teams that fans have not shown up for and the home crowd giving him absolutely nothing probably hurts us sometimes but it’s his job to make people want to watch.

Basketball and football aren’t comparable sports... it’s not even close .. and if it were I think CML would be very happy if we finished 4th overall in the conference .. which we did in hoops least year..

You should have stopped your post at “ Im not a basketball guy” ..

basedog
02-07-2021, 10:34 AM
Say what you guys want but this years team is a typical young team that has growing pains. Sometimes most young teams are up and down throughout the year. I'm not trying to make an excuse for them but we have many guys with not much experience. No doubt we need to work hard in the off season on fundamentals. This team needs to work on conditioning such as getting stronger. We aren't consistently tough enough yet.
Just saying it's what I observe.

Hypnodawg
02-07-2021, 10:52 AM
9th in sec in TO/game

Turnovers per possession is the proper way to measure that stat (and most stats). We are 285th in the nation at 20.8%. More than 1 in 5 trips down the floor we hand the ball over without taking a shot. That makes watching this team infuriating. I really wish we could clean that up.

PGHBulldogBG
02-07-2021, 11:03 AM
Say what you guys want but this years team is a typical young team that has growing pains. Sometimes most young teams are up and down throughout the year. I'm not trying to make an excuse for them but we have many guys with not much experience. No doubt we need to work hard in the off season on fundamentals. This team needs to work on conditioning such as getting stronger. We aren't consistently tough enough yet.
Just saying it's what I observe.

I don?t really think it?s about this years team. I would be completely fine with it had we not underachieved the last two years. 2019 loss to Liberty was terrible for a team with that much talent. No excuse to not make a sweet 16 that year. We also had dumb losses too that year. Last year was really a major disappointment. That team should?ve finished 2nd in the conference behind UK. I get we didn?t have a tournament, but we wouldn?t have been in it with a team that should?ve been a 3 or 4 seed.

msstate7
02-07-2021, 11:14 AM
Turnovers per possession is the proper way to measure that stat (and most stats). We are 285th in the nation at 20.8%. More than 1 in 5 trips down the floor we hand the ball over without taking a shot. That makes watching this team infuriating. I really wish we could clean that up.

Good stat, and ouch.

ETA... how would this stat know whether the TO was before a shot (ie off rebound)?

msstate7
02-07-2021, 11:18 AM
I don?t really think it?s about this years team. I would be completely fine with it had we not underachieved the last two years. 2019 loss to Liberty was terrible for a team with that much talent. No excuse to not make a sweet 16 that year. We also had dumb losses too that year. Last year was really a major disappointment. That team should?ve finished 2nd in the conference behind UK. I get we didn?t have a tournament, but we wouldn?t have been in it with a team that should?ve been a 3 or 4 seed.

Last season, we lacked a true point. Nick was a solid player, but not a great ball handler. I criticized howland hard last year for not going and getting a transfer pg going into last season.

basedog
02-07-2021, 11:19 AM

I don’t care about past teams. Our past teams sucked as our past history. I’m one not to dwell on the past. We can’t control the past.

Hypnodawg
02-07-2021, 11:32 AM
Good stat, and ouch.

ETA... how would this stat know whether the TO was before a shot (ie off rebound)?

I'm not a basketball stat guy, but basically there are 4 ways a possession ends. Taking a shot means it wasn't a turnover. (Not sure how this applies to offensive rebounds)
It counts as a team possession every time when a player of that team;
(1) attempts a field goal,
(2) misses a shot and does not get the offensive rebound,
(3) turns the ball over (some sources add ?turnovers that are assigned to teams? for a more precise possession calculation),
(4) goes to the line for two or three shots and either makes the last shot or does not get the rebound of a missed last shot.

https://www.nbastuffer.com/analytics101/possession/

Jarius
02-08-2021, 05:05 PM
Basketball and football aren’t comparable sports... it’s not even close .. and if it were I think CML would be very happy if we finished 4th overall in the conference .. which we did in hoops least year..

You should have stopped your post at “ Im not a basketball guy” ..

Yea maybe I should not post about basketball. While we are at it, maybe you should’t pretend like you have any actual sources with recruiting and just admit that you steal information from 247 and act like you have connections to the football program when anyone on here over the age of 12 knows you are full of shit. Basketball in the SEC is not equivalent to football in the SEC, dumbass. The point was never that they were, just that this year’s teams both played equally horrible during stretches and one is in year 6 while the other is in year 1.

Ari Gold
02-08-2021, 05:30 PM
Yea maybe I should not post about basketball. While we are at it, maybe you should’t pretend like you have any actual sources with recruiting and just admit that you steal information from 247 and act like you have connections to the football program when anyone on here over the age of 12 knows you are full of shit. Basketball in the SEC is not equivalent to football in the SEC, dumbass. The point was never that they were, just that this year’s teams both played equally horrible during stretches and one is in year 6 while the other is in year 1.

So I have the under 12 year olds fooled.. Nice...