PDA

View Full Version : We will be very good next year...

BogeyGolfer
11-09-2013, 10:31 PM
I know this isn't what engine wants to hear but the following players will make a big difference with the experience they are getting now:
Dak, Wilson, Love and JRob...The future is bright my friends... Also we will beat Upig and Ole Miss and most likely play in Liberty Bowl this year....

Coach34
11-09-2013, 10:38 PM
yes we will

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 10:40 PM
As long as we learn from mistakes, yes. We have he talent....not sure about the other though

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 10:48 PM
I agree that we will be very good next year, but, after today, I am just wondering if Mullen has the feel and instincts to help us reach our potential. The nice thing is that Russell and Perkins will be removed from the equation, so two personnel management problems will fix themselves.

Why don't we have a two minute offense and why did we run Tyler on the two point conversion? Mullen needs to stop trying to out-smart people and run plays that promote the strength of the player.

engie
11-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Who is engine?

We would be very good this year if we could fix the damn coach. Is he going to magically get better in year 6 at calling games, substitutions, etc?

OUR COACH is the only thing preventing THIS team from being very good. It f'n sucks to finally watch an MSU team that has the horses -- only to see a coach squandering it with stubborn stupidity.

And I'm supposed to look forward to him pulling the same shit next year -- with what will be the most talented MSU team of my lifetime?

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 10:51 PM
I agree that we will be very good next year, but, after today, I am just wondering if Mullen has the feel and instincts to help us reach our potential. The nice thing is that Russell and Perkins will be removed from the equation, so two personnel management problems will fix themselves.

Why don't we have a two minute offense and why did we run Tyler on the two point conversion? Mullen needs to stop trying to out-smart people and run plays that promote the strength of the player.

Good points

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Who is engine?

We would be very good this year if we could fix the damn coach. Is he going to magically get better in year 6 at calling games, substitutions, etc?

OUR COACH is the only thing preventing THIS team from being very, very good. It f'n sucks to finally watch an MSU team that has the horses -- only to see a coach squandering it with stupidity.

You make extremely good points, but the problem is that this coach has put this team in position to be a very good team if they had a damn coach. I'm on the fence and trying to figure it out.

Where does the blame for Mullen end and the credit to him begin?

HancockCountyDog
11-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Who is engine?

OUR COACH is the only thing preventing THIS team from being very good. It f'n sucks to finally watch an MSU team that has the horses -- only to see a coach squandering it with stubborn stupidity.

And I'm supposed to look forward to him pulling the same shit next year -- with what will be the most talented MSU team of my lifetime?

Well next year he won't have a 6'6" 235 lb slow footed QB to call read options plays on critical 2 point conversions.

Bucky Dog
11-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Look at Bogey getting on board! Engie, go **** yourself! If you can't see past your on shit glasses and self loathing then I fell sorry for you.

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Who is engine?

Can't say it much better than this^

BogeyGolfer
11-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Who is engine?

Take a look at USM, is that what you want for us the next few years? They got rid of Bower and see how well that's worked out? Guess who is responsible for bringing in the talent to create " the most talented" team in your lifetime? Teams go through cycles and this is our rebuilding year... We will be two deep at several positions on both sides of the ball next year... It's going to be exciting.

Bucky Dog
11-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Cadaver you need to get a life as well!

4Dawgs4Life
11-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Great post bogey!

Cadaver so now you are ok with Mullen? Make your mind up. You spent all week calling me a dumb ass for supporting Mullen and then you praise Bogey. Then you praise Engine in the same thread. Are you stirring?

engie
11-09-2013, 11:06 PM
You make extremely good points, but the problem is that this coach has put this team in position to be a very good team if they had a damn coach. I'm on the fence and trying to figure it out.

Where does the blame for Mullen end and the credit to him begin?

I agree with you here. I'm not back on the fence, but today was MUCH better effort than what I've been seeing from him...and if I get that kind of effort in the last 3 this year, I will reevaluate some stuff... That said, it f'n pisses me off that we are capable of an effort like this -- yet we have just mailed it in for the last year. You can take games like today in the "moral victory" category when examined by itself -- but when looked at as part of the whole picture -- it's a heartbreaking trend.

It's just BRUTAL to me to "be good enough" to win these games -- and have him being the stumbling block that is CONSISTENTLY preventing us from doing so. If we change nothing but add great gameday coaches, we're 7-2 or 8-1 right now and highly ranked -- and we're alot more like the South Carolina of the SEC West...

Think about all the shit that has BARELY cost us signature wins over the years -- and all the times we've come "close" exactly like we did today. When you look at it in that light, it's demoralizing...

engie
11-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Look at Bogey getting on board! Engie, go **** yourself! If you can't see past your on shit glasses and self loathing then I fell sorry for you.

Bogey has been "on board". Congrats on your moral victory.

Bet you were the loudest ****er in the room making fun of OM about "moral victories" last year in year 1 -- yet here you are patting yourself on the back for "moral victories" in year 5.

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Great post bogey!

Cadaver so now you are ok with Mullen? Make your mind up. You spent all week calling me a dumb ass for supporting Mullen and then you praise Bogey. Then you praise Engine in the same thread. Are you stirring?

No, I still feel the same...just trying not to be so negative for you ******s out there like you and Bucky

cheewgumm
11-09-2013, 11:09 PM
I know that was a joke comparing us to USM. Are you high?

S
E
C

That pretty much guarantees a certin level of player, so that ain't gonna happen.

I predict 7, possibly 8 wins next year. Then, 6 the following year.

It really is funny that all it takes is scoring a lot of points on A&Ms crappy D to make us think "We're back!!!" It's a dumbing down of expectations, so even if we lose now, it doesn't matter....jsut look for signs of life and that is proof enough to stay the course.

Take a look at USM, is that what you want for us the next few years? They got rid of Bower and see how well that's worked out? Guess who is responsible for bringing in the talent to create " the most talented" team in your lifetime? Teams go through cycles and this is our rebuilding year... We will be two deep at several positions on both sides of the ball next year... It's going to be exciting.

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Cadaver you need to get a life as well!

http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/spiderman_crying.gif

engie
11-09-2013, 11:10 PM

Yeah -- they won a conference title and DAMN NEAR played in a BCS game. Would have if they had simply beat the 2 patsies they played... So, it was a terrible decision to get rid of Bower simply because they screwed the pooch on the 3rd and 4th coaching hires?

We wouldn't be 2-deep on both sides of the ball next year regardless of who was coaching us? That's news to me...

engie
11-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Great post bogey!

Want to know how I know that you are ignorant?

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 11:12 PM
I agree with you here. I'm not back on the fence, but today was MUCH better effort than what I've been seeing from him...and if I get that kind of effort in the last 3 this year, I will reevaluate some stuff... That said, it f'n pisses me off that we are capable of an effort like this -- yet we have just mailed it in for the last year. You can take games like today in the "moral victory" category when examined by itself -- but when looked at as part of the whole picture -- it's a heartbreaking trend.

It's just BRUTAL to me to "be good enough" to win these games -- and have him being the stumbling block that is CONSISTENTLY preventing us from doing so. If we change nothing but add great gameday coaches, we're 7-2 or 8-1 right now and highly ranked -- and we're alot more like the South Carolina of the SEC West...

Think about all the shit that has BARELY cost us signature wins over the years -- and all the times we've come "close" exactly like we did today. When you look at it in that light, it's demoralizing...

You make great points, but I will say that today is the closest we have come to the signature win, and we played much better than last year.

We are starting to become a physical football team again, and that's a start. our d-line was incredible today.

Goat Holder
11-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Engine hahahahaha

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 11:13 PM
I told everyone last week I was going to try withholding judgement and being overly negative until Arkansas game....so that's what I'm doing. But I will say that I fully agree with Engie and Cheww in this thread, so you pumpers don't take my "trying" out of context

engie
11-09-2013, 11:15 PM
We held it 2 points closer than Arkansas did -- and not NEARLY as close as OM did. By some of your reactions, you would think we won the damn game...

msugolf
11-09-2013, 11:16 PM

So you pick the most extreme worst scenario as a comparison of what we'll become if we have a different coach. Basically you're scared of the outcome so you don't do anything. We'll if that's not the most MState attitude ever. And USM's situation has less to do with Bower and more to do with their conference affiliation and the emergence of surrounding smaller schools (Troy, south Alabama, la tech, UL-L, ULMonroe, MTSU, etc).

engie
You make great points, but I will say that today is the closest we have come to the signature win, and we played much better than last year.

We are starting to become a physical football team again, and that's a start. our d-line was incredible today.

Closest we have come? Are you kidding? We pulled within 10 late.

Arkansas was within 5 of them at the start of the 4th quarter.

HancockCountyDog
Want to know how I know that you are ignorant?

We held it 2 points closer than Arkansas did -- and not NEARLY as close as OM did. By some of your reactions, you would think we won the damn game...

It feels like 2009, playing big boys close is as good as it gets.

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Closest we have come? Are you kidding? We pulled within 10 late.

When else have we done that? Didn't say we were close, just said this was the closest, in the last 3 years for sure.

Coach34
11-09-2013, 11:19 PM

both those teams played at home- we played in College Station

engie
11-09-2013, 11:19 PM
It feels like 2009, playing big boys close is as good as it gets.

Exactly -- except, we were playing them closer in 2009.

maroonmania
11-09-2013, 11:20 PM
I know this isn't what engine wants to hear but the following players will make a big difference with the experience they are getting now:
Dak, Wilson, Love and JRob...The future is bright my friends... Also we will beat Upig and Ole Miss and most likely play in Liberty Bowl this year....

I want to believe this but we are still trying to take away some sweeping positive assumptions about next year from a game today we were losing at one point by 24 points in the 4th quarter. Its great we got it back to 10 but I still never felt we had any realistic chance to win today's game. You almost HAVE to get to the point where you actually have a nip and tuck CHANCE to win a game like this at the very end before you actually start winning them. We DID have that kind of game with Auburn this year but I still don't know if the Auburn team we played had in anyway jelled to be the Auburn team they are now. At this point I feel pretty sure we will end up sticking with Mullen long enough to miss our window with Hud (don't feel like our administration has the guts to make the move unless we suffer a beat down from OM and Hud is likely to get some other attractive bcs offers) so I certainly hope Mullen can get his coaching shit together and give us a program we can actually get excited about again.

engie
11-09-2013, 11:22 PM
When else have we done that? Didn't say we were close, just said this was the closest, in the last 3 years for sure.

We came within a gnats ass of beating top 10 Auburn THIS year.
South Carolina 2011
LSU 2011
Auburn 2011
Arkansas 2010
Auburn 2010
LSU 2009
Houston 2009
Florida 2009

Need I go on?

Coach34
11-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Exactly -- except, we were playing them closer in 2009.

We lost 49-24 to Auburn on the road and 42-21 to UPig on the road. No we didnt.

BogeyGolfer
11-09-2013, 11:24 PM
I was pissed at the TD before the half and giving up the kick return after we answer but JFF has done that to everyone he has played.... We will be ok, Mullen will have DAK and am offense he is comfortable with for an entire spring next year, you will see a big difference. I still have doubts about Collins. Time will tell.

engie
11-09-2013, 11:25 PM
both those teams played at home- we played in College Station

Moral victories EVERYWHERE!!!

Coach34
At this point I feel pretty sure we will end up sticking with Mullen long enough to miss our window with Hud.

That's pretty much already happened

4Dawgs4Life
No, I still feel the same...just trying not to be so negative for you ******s out there like you and Bucky

Are there no mods or rules to this board?

Coach34
11-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Moral victories EVERYWHERE!!!

No- just showing the difference

Coach34
11-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Are there no mods or rules to this board?

What is the problem?

4Dawgs4Life
11-09-2013, 11:28 PM
I was pissed at the TD before the half and giving up the kick return after we answer but JFF has done that to everyone he has played.... We will be ok, Mullen will have DAK and am offense he is comfortable with for an entire spring next year, you will see a big difference. I still have doubts about Collins. Time will tell.

Thank you! Been trying to tell you guys all week!

engie
11-09-2013, 11:28 PM
We lost 59-26 to LSU at home and 34-16 to South Carolina on the road. No we didnt.

FIFY

Yes we did.

We were a better team in 2009 by every unbiased team-measuring metric out there. Feel free to find me one that says otherwise.

Were we more talented? No. Better? Yes.

Bucky Dog
11-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Coach, please show Cadaver and Engie the door!

engie
11-09-2013, 11:31 PM

Lolz!!1!1

cheewgumm
11-09-2013, 11:37 PM
It's not like we played them close and barely lost. We were down big.

I mean, I've learned to expect it but the attitude that we have turned the corner is strange.

Lolz!!1!1

engie
11-09-2013, 11:49 PM
I just don't understand the moral victory to the extent that you feel the need to "call people out" in a decisive 10 point loss...

I would have kept this shit to myself -- but when called out, here I am having to do this same stupid argument for the hundredth time...

4Dawgs4Life
11-09-2013, 11:51 PM
What is the problem?

Uh Cadaver has called me a dumb ass, other posters names and now calling posters ******s. Is this ok? I mean if it is then ok but I didn't think this was a "free for all" board. As in anything goes or no holds barred kind of atmosphere.

Dawg61
11-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Uh Cadaver has called me a dumb ass, other posters names and now calling posters ******s. Is this ok? I mean if it is then ok but I didn't think this was a "free for all" board. As in anything goes or no holds barred kind of atmosphere.

Guys we have our first female poster. Show us your tits or GTFO**

I seen it dawg
11-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Bucky you need to put the whiskey down and go to bed

Bass Chaser
11-10-2013, 12:36 AM
What is considered "very good"?

I don't see us any better than 7-5 next season.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 12:37 AM

We were also the only one on the road. Stop trying to find reasons that we suck. I do you live life like that?

I'm pissed and have a sick feeling in my stomach that we lost, but I also realize that today was progress. We have a long way to go, but seriously believe we can beat most teams in this conference if we cut out the devastating mistakes.

Will that happen? who the hell knows, but the doom and gloom simply isn't what happened today.

engie
11-10-2013, 12:53 AM
We were also the only one on the road. Stop trying to find reasons that we suck. I do you live life like that?
I call it like I see it. In general, I'm an optimistically realistic fan. There are literally COUNTLESS examples of this out there and many here can confirm from my long-term posting history. I'm just THAT convinced that I don't like the direction we are going. Not far from being as convinced as I ever was with Stansbury.

I'm pissed and have a sick feeling in my stomach that we lost, but I also realize that today was progress. We have a long way to go, but seriously believe we can beat most teams in this conference if we cut out the devastating mistakes.
Progress over what? Last week -- possibly. We put up points in the 4th quarter and tried hard in this game, so that's an improvement. But when people are claiming moral victories in THAT in a game that was never in question, Houston you have a big problem.

Progress over 2009? Not really. When and where does this "cut out of devastating mistakes" actually occur? Because it sounds good -- and I agree in theory -- but damn, how many times do we have to put ourselves through this optimistic cycle before we realize that it is just NOT going to happen under this regime?

Will that happen? who the hell knows, but the doom and gloom simply isn't what happened today.
There would be no "doom and gloom" here had I not been called out and basically forced to restate my opinion on this for the 100th time...

4Dawgs4Life
11-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Guys we have our first female poster. Show us your tits or GTFO**

Hey no problems Not now that I know the rulz!

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 01:55 AM

Ole Miss got rid of Nutt. See how well that's worked out for them?

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 02:26 AM
We were down 51-27. I can assure you A&M was not concerned.

P.S. I am pretty sure Mullen will lose to Auburn, Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU next year. So what will be so good about next season?

drunkernhelldawg
11-10-2013, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=BogeyGolfer;84133]I know this isn't what engine wants to hear but the following players will make a big difference with the experience they are getting now:
Dak, Wilson, Love and JRob...The future is bright my friends... Also we will beat Upig and Ole Miss and most likely play in Liberty Bowl this year....[/QUOTEn

Who cares about next season? Southern Miss may be very good next year, too. Neither they nor us is very good this year.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Unbelievable.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52272000/gif/_52272673_crying-baby.gif

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 10:42 AM

See my response to Bucky...that goes for you too.

MrKotter
11-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Ah, the good ol' "wait til next year mfers" chant. How many games will it take next year before his team puts together 4 quarters of football? This game was a step forward no doubt but one game can't excuse the mess before.

MrKotter
11-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Oh hell, this is funny. Cadaver, called me a dumb ass........Ban him!1!!!!!!11!1!!*********

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Unbelievable.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52272000/gif/_52272673_crying-baby.gif

LOL, that's pretty good.

I just laugh at the people on both sides of this debate the act like they've got all this stuff figured out, and this debate is black and white.

If you don't find this issue to be very complicated, then you aren't thinking hard enough about it. I like intelligent/intellectual posts on the this matter, and ones in which posters make solid points that provide evidence one way or the other.

However, many posters have a severe case of confirmation bias and interpret everything that happens, as either being for their argument, when in fact the information could have been easily interpreted to be against your argument. No matter what side you on, doing this is wrong and decreases the credibility of your opinion.

Don't be stubborn. Listen to both sides, and allow your opinion to be adjusted when new/solid information emerges.

This situation is complicated.

Pollodawg
11-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah. We we're going to to be good in 2011 too, and again in 2012.......

drunkernhelldawg
11-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Yeah. We we're going to to be good in 2011 too, and again in 2012.......

It is that ridiculous, especially right in the middle of the current season.

dawgs
11-10-2013, 11:07 AM
We were down 51-27. I can assure you A&M was not concerned.

P.S. I am pretty sure Mullen will lose to Auburn, Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU next year. So what will be so good about next season?

^this

BogeyGolfer
11-10-2013, 11:46 AM
But we are not going to be a 7-9 win team every year... We will have transition years and we
Are going through one this year. I used USM as an example because that scenario could happen to us on a smaller scale. We have talent in house, a solid head coach with very capable assistants who have had success in the past. Also Todd using the Houston Nutt comparison is not fair. I know first hand that Nutt and staff were lazy and that program was a train wreck. That's nothing compared to where we are now...take a deep breath, let the season play out and I think we will have similar momentum heading into next year that Ole Miss had last year.... Arkansas is a huge game for us!

dickiedawg
11-10-2013, 12:35 PM
LOL, that's pretty good.

I just laugh at the people on both sides of this debate the act like they've got all this stuff figured out, and this debate is black and white.

If you don't find this issue to be very complicated, then you aren't thinking hard enough about it. I like intelligent/intellectual posts on the this matter, and ones in which posters make solid points that provide evidence one way or the other.

This situation is complicated.

Wholeheartedly agree with this post. Good job. The problem is the folks who freely admit that -- a) They don't know what the answer is because b) It really is complicated -- just don't have a ton to say. What we're left with are the extremists, whose minds are made up and not likely to change.

1. Dan Mullen has brought us a long way in 5 years from a talent perspective.
2. It is very frustrating to keep losing games to teams we could beat.
3. It's EXTREMELY frustrating that there are multiple games on the schedule that we simply have no realistic shot at beating, and even more frustrating that this is NOT likely to change.
4. It's frustrating to see coaches like Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn and Kevin Sumlin** come in and get those programs turned around IMMEDIATELY.
5. Having Hudspeth "waiting in the wings" complicates the issue entirely. If he wasn't lighting the world on fire, and Freeze/Malzahn hadn't had success coming from the Sun Belt, I doubt there are more than a couple of fringe posters even close to calling for Mullen's head.

I see both sides of the coin. There's a very real possibility, with our talent and the schedule next year, plus the top teams in our division all having key losses, that a new coach could come in and immediately have a magical season next year.

The other side of that is I could legitimately see Mullen winning 9+ regular season games next year. At Alabama and LSU are probably not going to happen under Mullen, but home games against Auburn and aTm (sans Manziel) are very winnable and Vandy, Kentucky, and Arkansas should be sure wins. Going to Ole Miss could be a tough game but I'm not about to write it off as a loss. Any worse than 8-4 next season would be a colossal failure (a la 2012) and I would genuinely concede that Mullen was never going to get us over the hump.

At the end of the day, without losing out Mullen is not going to be fired this year. Next season is make or break- though I fear we wouldn't fire a coach after a 7- or 8- win regular season despite it being warranted.

**The jury is really still out on Sumlin- without hitting the lottery with Manziel, who was already on campus, he's likely in charge of a very average team. To his credit, though, he's done a great job with the tools he was given.

maroonmania
11-10-2013, 01:39 PM
But we are not going to be a 7-9 win team every year... We will have transition years and we
Are going through one this year. I used USM as an example because that scenario could happen to us on a smaller scale. We have talent in house, a solid head coach with very capable assistants who have had success in the past. Also Todd using the Houston Nutt comparison is not fair. I know first hand that Nutt and staff were lazy and that program was a train wreck. That's nothing compared to where we are now...take a deep breath, let the season play out and I think we will have similar momentum heading into next year that Ole Miss had last year.... Arkansas is a huge game for us!

Its ridiculous to even remotely compare our situation to USM in any way, shape or form. The only school in a comparable situation to us in the state AT ALL is OM and that is it. This isn't 20 years ago. If we really think we are facing a situation anything remotely like USM then we should voluntarily leave the SEC and be done with it. Its also ridiculous to say we couldn't be a 7-9 win team every year. We are already pretty much a 6-8 win team NOW and that is with questionable coaching moves and one of the weakest recruiting staffs in the conference! Doesn't take much to accomplish that when you just win your OOC games and play even half-way competitively in the league and beat a few SEC teams on the down cycle which is what we are currently accomplishing.

slickdawg
11-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Yes we will be.

100% Back to fundamentals of Mullen's offense. Spread run zone read with the right players.

Dak and Damian both equipped to run that offense.

No more misuse of LDP - he is not used correctly. He could be all pro under Belichek

We return 19/22 of our 2 deep on defense. People forget we lost our three most experienced corners in Banks, Slay and Broomfield. The youngsters are getting better fast.

bluelightstar
11-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Are we going to be coached better next year?

32 Dive
11-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I'll buy, when we stop an offense that packages plays. (You know I'm talking Thanksgiving night...)