PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Fristoe

Todd4State
01-31-2021, 06:26 PM
He's a freshman pitcher for us from Kentucky. I would say that he is putting himself in contention for a spot in the rotation. He was throwing in the mid 90's today and was shutting our hitters completely down.

VandelayIndustries
01-31-2021, 06:31 PM
Nice. Pitching is going to be loaded this year

Commercecomet24
01-31-2021, 06:31 PM
That kids gonna be good. I've watched him at the wwba national championships for several years. Very polished for a young pitcher with good stuff.

AlSwearengen
01-31-2021, 06:43 PM
Wasn’t the rub against him was that he had work to do on his command and polish his game up? Otherwise he was a top 2 or 3 round talent?

ZedFedder
01-31-2021, 06:44 PM
That’s great to hear.

Coach34
01-31-2021, 06:51 PM
We just have to scrap for runs. I wont mind a little extra bunting this year with the staff we have

BeardoMSU
01-31-2021, 06:53 PM
I wont mind a little extra bunting this year

https://media.tenor.com/images/04f2b0107dab09fccd6eabd43871a24d/tenor.gif

***** obviously obligatory, lol

Coach34
01-31-2021, 06:55 PM
Well, just a little. Not wholesale

The Federalist Engineer
01-31-2021, 07:22 PM
We just have to scrap for runs. I wont mind a little extra bunting this year with the staff we have

You don't think we will get production from:

Allen (L), James (R), Rowdey (S), Hatcher (L), Hancock (L), Tanner (R)?

I know the rest is very unknown, but we have lots of guys with pedigree and competing with each other.

We are definitely vulnerable to talented lefties.

The Federalist Engineer
01-31-2021, 07:31 PM
He's a freshman pitcher for us from Kentucky. I would say that he is putting himself in contention for a spot in the rotation. He was throwing in the mid 90's today and was shutting our hitters completely down.

Awesome news - we have such great talent returning, it's easy to forget that MSU has Freshmen talents like Fristoe, C Smith, and Tepper that we might not have except for the truncated draft.

CaptainObvious
01-31-2021, 07:32 PM

You mean like in the first inning of a 0-0 game, with 1st & 2nd and no outs bunting?

Coach34
01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
You mean like in the first inning of a 0-0 game, with 1st & 2nd and no outs bunting?

lord Jesus no. I believe it be sacrilege to bunt with 3, 4 ,or 5- ever.

BiscuitEater
01-31-2021, 07:50 PM

? Who are we playing?
? Are we hosting? Visiting? SEC team?
? Who's pitching for us? Them? What day pitcher? Righty / Lefty? Move to first?
? What's our record? Opponent's record?
?. Who's up? Can he bunt? What's he hitting? Hitting with men in scoring position? Hits to SO ratio? Slugging? On deck? On base?
?. We have two on with no outs. How'd they get on? Hits? Walks? How is opp pitcher rhrowing?

You forgot the ***

Coach34
01-31-2021, 07:50 PM
You don't think we will get production from:

Allen (L), James (R), Rowdey (S), Hatcher (L), Hancock (L), Tanner (R)?

I know the rest is very unknown, but we have lots of guys with pedigree and competing with each other.

We are definitely vulnerable to talented lefties.

I think we will be ok offensively- but we wont be top notch. But with top notch pitching- playing conservatively at times is ok

MsStateBaseball
01-31-2021, 08:00 PM
First 5 innings, 1st and 2nd on w no outs go for big inning. But late, obviously depending on situation, we bunt. We will steal a little more too.

Commercecomet24
01-31-2021, 08:03 PM
lord Jesus no. I believe it be sacrilege to bunt with 3, 4 ,or 5- ever.

Amen to this!

ZedFedder
01-31-2021, 08:34 PM
Todd, any other news or rumblings from baseball? So ready for the season even if we have a limited opportunity to view.

Todd4State
01-31-2021, 09:40 PM
Todd, any other news or rumblings from baseball? So ready for the season even if we have a limited opportunity to view.

I've seen MacLeod and Cerentola mentioned in the first round of some mock drafts. The scrimmages have been as expected as far as who is playing and where pretty much. Left field is the biggest question mark and that's between Cumbest, Skinner, and Pimentel. I'd guess- and this is me talking based on what I have heard- that Cumbest will get the first opportunity if the season started today. Now- we'll see how that goes during the rest of the scrimmages and that spot won't be settled until well after the season starts.

Todd4State
01-31-2021, 09:50 PM
I think we will be ok offensively- but we wont be top notch. But with top notch pitching- playing conservatively at times is ok

The offense will be Ok even though it won't be the 1985 offense.

I think our offense will be more like 1998-1999. Lots of veterans with some pop like TA and Hatcher. Their experience will pay off and that sometimes translates into bombs. Then we have some young guys with power like Tanner, James, and Kellum Clark who won't hit for as high an average but their talent.

Kind of depends somewhat on who wins the LF job. If it's Skinner- we probably will play a little more small ball. If it's Cumbest/Pimentel- more modern game.

Dubrule and Rowdey are our main speed guys. And Skinner or course.

Todd4State
01-31-2021, 09:56 PM
First 5 innings, 1st and 2nd on w no outs go for big inning. But late, obviously depending on situation, we bunt. We will steal a little more too.

Honestly, if it's someone like Kumar Rocker and we have first and second with no outs or even one on- especially on second I would probably be OK with it if the score is 0-0 and it's before the fifth inning. Depends on the hitter too. If it's Clark or Tanner- swing away. If it's someone else- that's fine.

AlSwearengen
01-31-2021, 10:08 PM
If Skinner is in the game, does he play CF and Rowdey mover over to LF? The way the coaches talk about Skinner’s speed and defense, I would think him in CF makes sense.

Todd4State
01-31-2021, 10:09 PM
If Skinner is in the game, does he play CF and Rowdey mover over to LF? The way the coaches talk about Skinner’s speed and defense, I would think him in CF makes sense.

I would say yes.

bobcat91
01-31-2021, 11:30 PM
The offense will be good not great, but the pitching has a chance to be National Championship elite

Todd4State
01-31-2021, 11:48 PM
The offense will be good not great, but the pitching has a chance to be National Championship elite

The problem is Vanderbilt has Rocker and Leiter who may go 1 and 2 in the draft this year.

AlSwearengen
01-31-2021, 11:54 PM
The problem is Vanderbilt has Rocker and Leiter who may go 1 and 2 in the draft this year.

Yeah and vandy isn’t even ranked 1 or 2. 4, I think.

This will be an interesting season.

William Tecumsah Sherman
02-01-2021, 07:25 AM
We need to be patient. We could have a damn good team without the record to reflect it. We need to let the season play out and see where we are at the end.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2021, 08:54 AM

This is how natty's are won.

Fristoe is a future 1st rounder

Johnson85
02-01-2021, 09:31 AM

Our pitching is going to be really good, but basically almost everybody is looking at their roster and thinking they are good this year. And they're mostly right. Lots more talent playing this year than in the past. I think we really are going to be good, but the competition is going to be much deeper than usual.

BiscuitEater
02-01-2021, 12:06 PM
The offense will be good not great,

Remember the ~same quote, ~same board, ~every year .. going back years.

Nobody knows! Recall back a few years most were wuestioning hitting ... Then Mangum, Lowe, Kruger, Rooker, Robson, Humphreys and Collins all proved they were idiots!

The Federalist Engineer
02-01-2021, 01:57 PM
Remember the ~same quote, ~same board, ~every year .. going back years.

Nobody knows! Recall back a few years most were wuestioning hitting ... Then Mangum, Lowe, Kruger, Rooker, Robson, Humphreys and Collins all proved they were idiots!

The issue in College Baseball is that all the Austin Hendricks and Blaze Jordan's go pro. Nobody really has those guys, you only have late bloomers like Brent Rooker (top 1000) or Brendan McKay (not ranked by PG).

So, our recruiting, returning experience, and history of talent collection is the only guide. We are prolly pretty good at hitting and better than most other schools. I would expect one from Cumbest, Pimentel, or Landon Jordan to become an unexpected hitting bad-ass.

As far as 2016, we knew nothing about that team until the Vandy series of that year. Then people started saying MSU is elite. What we share with 2016 is all the batting experience and we seem to have much better defense.

In 2016, Humphreys, Rooker, and Collins were disasters waiting to happen on D. Humphries costed us an Arizona game. Rooker was pulled too early in the 2nd Arizona game. Collins never failed in a key moment.

bully14
02-01-2021, 03:38 PM
Well, just a little. Not wholesale
Coach, now I?ll have to disagree to an extent. Nothing wrong with small ball. Bunting and squeezing can get a god team off balance and get others totally outta sync. Ahh I do love it!😉

KOdawg1
02-01-2021, 03:46 PM
Cerantola will be on a short leash. If he still hasn't improved his command, then Fristoe, Brandon Smith and others will take his spot.

basedog
02-01-2021, 05:28 PM
Btw, I have a lot of respect for Foxhall, he is very protective of his pitching staff when injuries occur.

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2021, 06:46 PM
Cerantola did not give up a hit or run this past weekend. Walked 1.

ZedFedder
02-01-2021, 07:02 PM
Cerantola did not give up a hit or run this past weekend. Walked 1.

He can be the best on the staff if he keeps that up. Anything else you’ve heard?

AlSwearengen
02-01-2021, 07:26 PM
Just a reminder for everyone, but hitting is way behind pitching this early.

Coach34
02-01-2021, 08:04 PM
Coach, now I?ll have to disagree to an extent. Nothing wrong with small ball. Bunting and squeezing can get a god team off balance and get others totally outta sync. Ahh I do love it!��

In small doses- yes. As a philosophy? Ugh

MsStateBaseball
02-01-2021, 09:38 PM
What I heard was what I knew was going to happen. We are so talented at pitcher, the starter struggles, we will bring in a guy w just as good stuff. We have several long relievers that will tie us to Spencer Price.

We won?t have the power of Westburg and Foscue but the power will be evenly distributed.

Todd4State
02-01-2021, 09:59 PM
What I heard was what I knew was going to happen. We are so talented at pitcher, the starter struggles, we will bring in a guy w just as good stuff. We have several long relievers that will tie us to Spencer Price.

We won?t have the power of Westburg and Foscue but the power will be evenly distributed.

I'd like to see Landon Sims close. He may be our relief ace though that can go multiple innings. Price = college version of Jason Isringhausen.

I'd like to know Cerentola's Strike/Ball ratio and what his pitch count was. That's would give us a little more insight into his command.