PDA

View Full Version : NIT Run?

confucius say
01-31-2021, 10:30 AM
I think it could happen. Our NET is at 82 right now. Chance for a quad 1 win Tuesday at Arkansas.

We are also only two game out of second in the sec.

Ari Gold
01-31-2021, 10:32 AM
I haven’t heard , but I doubt The NIT this played this year

R2Dawg
01-31-2021, 06:26 PM
Maybe. We still have a chance to make a run but it has to start like now. No more second chances from here on in, we have used them all up.

This team can do it but we have to play smarter.

Coach34
01-31-2021, 06:54 PM
Just Win Baby

confucius say
01-31-2021, 07:26 PM
There is a real chance out men finish ahead of our women.

preachermatt83
01-31-2021, 11:43 PM
There is a real chance out men finish ahead of our women.

McCray-Penson is in so far over her head it’s not even funny

msstate7
02-01-2021, 07:58 AM
McCray-Penson is in so far over her head it’s not even funny

She was a successful HC, and she took over a great program... things have not gone well. Think about this while we have people calling to fire howland.

Dawgfan77
02-01-2021, 12:27 PM
The problem is we need a change at AD then let the new AD hire a MBB

The two most exciting products on campus just two years ago was football and WBB and in two hires and two years Cohen has mismanaged the game day atmosphere and failed to hire competent coaches

StarkVegasSteve
02-01-2021, 12:36 PM
The problem is we need a change at AD then let the new AD hire a MBB

The two most exciting products on campus just two years ago was football and WBB and in two hires and two years Cohen has mismanaged the game day atmosphere and failed to hire competent coaches

Because a new AD will automatically mean that we're going to make good hires??? College Basketball is one of the hardest sports to hire in. For every Nate Oats and Bruce Pearl there's a John Pelphrey and Billy Kennedy. And on top of that, Howland has done a pretty dang good job. NIT Final 4 in 18, Tourney in 19, probably would've been in the tourney in 20. Hell, we're a young team. We're frustrating at times, but we just won by 30+.

R2Dawg
02-01-2021, 12:50 PM
She was a successful HC, and she took over a great program... things have not gone well. Think about this while we have people calling to fire howland.

Agree on the Howland side but back to Pinson. She don't really have the time as HC at a big time level to say anything. Just like Moorhead who was HC at Fordham for a new years. This is what really shocks me on this hire. We were a top 5 program in WBB and we hire a coach with no major experience? We should have been able to hire a more veteran. proven coach. The hire just looks worse every day. Nothing against her personally but she needed to prove her way say at a lesser D1 program first in a tough conference before taking over a program like ours. Say an Auburn, Bama, Vandy, UF, etc.

These coaching tree hires like all the ones that played for Pat Summit are stupid. How many Pat Summit tree coaches have really been successful? Almost none.

Dawgfan77
02-01-2021, 01:16 PM
Because a new AD will automatically mean that we're going to make good hires??? College Basketball is one of the hardest sports to hire in. For every Nate Oats and Bruce Pearl there's a John Pelphrey and Billy Kennedy. And on top of that, Howland has done a pretty dang good job. NIT Final 4 in 18, Tourney in 19, probably would've been in the tourney in 20. Hell, we're a young team. We're frustrating at times, but we just won by 30+.

You missed the point. The point is we made a lazy hire. We hired a baseball coach to run the AD. Now he walks around thinking he is the smartest guy in Starkville. Constantly micromanages. I would take my chances with a up and coming AD than keep Cohen. But that just me

Captain Falcon
02-01-2021, 02:15 PM
We are two games over .500 overall... no, not an NIT team unless we have a very strong finish.

StarkVegasSteve
02-01-2021, 02:31 PM
You missed the point. The point is we made a lazy hire. We hired a baseball coach to run the AD. Now he walks around thinking he is the smartest guy in Starkville. Constantly micromanages. I would take my chances with a up and coming AD than keep Cohen. But that just me

I guess I did miss the point then. I thought the point of the thread was the basketball team. My apologies.

HailStateSZN19
02-01-2021, 03:03 PM

What makes you think we probably would have been in the tourney last year?..... Lunardi had us like First 4 Out or something along those lines. We were gonna have to win 2 games in the SECT to have a shot and that woulda meant beating UF & then who like TN/UK? There was a much higher chance of that NOT happening than it happening and us getting in.

StarkVegasSteve
02-01-2021, 03:09 PM
What makes you think we probably would have been in the tourney last year?..... Lunardi had us like First 4 Out or something along those lines. We were gonna have to win 2 games in the SECT to have a shot and that woulda meant beating UF & then who like TN/UK? There was a much higher chance of that NOT happening than it happening and us getting in.

Most, including Lunardi, said us and Florida was a de facto play in game. We would've felt more comfortable winning two, but if we beat Florida we were in. They weren't putting them in over us after we beat them twice.

HailStateSZN19
02-01-2021, 03:19 PM
Most, including Lunardi, said us and Florida was a de facto play in game. We would've felt more comfortable winning two, but if we beat Florida we were in. They weren't putting them in over us after we beat them twice.

So you think we would have for sure beaten UF again? And I would bet that even if we win that game & lost the next game to TN/UK, they woulda turned around and left us out and said we really needed 2 wins in the SECT.

StarkVegasSteve
02-01-2021, 03:25 PM
So you think we would have for sure beaten UF again? And I would bet that even if we win that game & lost the next game to TN/UK, they woulda turned around and left us out and said we really needed 2 wins in the SECT.

Well there's really only one way to know and it got cancelled. I felt like we were playing well and we matched up well with Florida and had beaten them in the O Dome earlier in the year. I think we'd have been in with that win, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

HailStateSZN19
02-01-2021, 03:33 PM
Well there's really only one way to know and it got cancelled. I felt like we were playing well and we matched up well with Florida and had beaten them in the O Dome earlier in the year. I think we'd have been in with that win, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

I don?t know enough about it all to really disagree with you necessarily. I just assume, based on who we are and how often we get screwed over, they would have tried to find a way to screw us over again. If we win that UF game and lose the next game, it woulda turned into ?well this other team played really well down the stretch and we felt like MSU needed to get 1 more win in the SECT to prove they were worthy of an at large bid?. Maybe I?m wrong but I just assume they woulda tried to screw us over if possible.

StarkVegasSteve
02-01-2021, 04:05 PM
I don?t know enough about it all to really disagree with you necessarily. I just assume, based on who we are and how often we get screwed over, they would have tried to find a way to screw us over again. If we win that UF game and lose the next game, it woulda turned into ?well this other team played really well down the stretch and we felt like MSU needed to get 1 more win in the SECT to prove they were worthy of an at large bid?. Maybe I?m wrong but I just assume they woulda tried to screw us over if possible.

Historically you would be correct with that assumption. It would've been a restless Selection Sunday had we won one and lost one I do know that much.

BrunswickDawg
02-01-2021, 04:13 PM

Double digit SEC wins is almost an automatic unless you have a bad SOS. Our SOS was what always killed us a bubble team under Stansbury. With an 11-7 SEC record, and our OOC loses being to Villanova (Big East Champ), La Tech (22-8, 2nd CUSA), New Mex State (25-6 WAC Champ), and Oklahoma (19-12, 3rd B12) we played a helluva schedule compared to a lot of teams. That was weighing in our favor.