PDA

View Full Version : Miss. State vs South Carolina )Women's Basketball

jdelta02
01-28-2021, 06:51 PM
Gameday
Miss. State vs South Carolina (6:00 pm Starkville MS, Humphrey Coliseum ESPN)

RocketDawg
01-28-2021, 07:21 PM
Pretty decent start. They seem to be energetic and trying hard so far.

The officials seem to be "letting them play", which in my mind is a euphamism for ignoring the rules of the game.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-28-2021, 07:25 PM
Do they not let fans into the WBB, or just nobody showed up?

jdelta02
01-28-2021, 07:52 PM
Miss. State 52
South Casolina 75

Jessika Carter 6 pts, 6 rbs
Myah Taylor 3 assists, 3 rbs, 1 stl, 2 to's (2 personal fouls)

MafiaDawg
01-28-2021, 08:21 PM
When do people stop caring again? Tomorrow?

R2Dawg
01-28-2021, 08:22 PM
We are a really not good basketball team. I'm not sure that Vic's first team with little relative talent would beat this team. Consequently, SC is not that good either. Big fall off for what we are used to for SC. Ark might be the team to beat.

RocketDawg
01-28-2021, 08:30 PM
We are a really not good basketball team. I'm not sure that Vic's first team with little relative talent would beat this team. Consequently, SC is not that good either. Big fall off for what we are used to for SC. Ark might be the team to beat.

Arkansas beat UConn tonight. They were undefeated, and I haven't checked, but it might be the first loss since we beat them season before last.

Coach34
01-28-2021, 08:37 PM
blown out at home with such a talented team. Now with a losing SEC record

R2Dawg
01-28-2021, 08:38 PM
The lack of effort we play with is very disturbing. Doesn't seem to bother coach either? I don't get it. Madison Hays has gotten after it tonight. A few others but as a whole we play very lazy.

Homedawg
01-28-2021, 08:44 PM
We are bad.

Commercecomet24
01-28-2021, 08:55 PM
Poorly coached and lack of effort is a bad combination.

jdelta02
01-28-2021, 09:01 PM
Miss. State. 52
South Carolina 75

Rickea Jackson 15 pts, 6 rbs
Jessika Carter 12 pts, 10 rebs, 3 blks

(Note) Freshman, second semester transfer, Knisha Godfrey with 4 minutes of action tonight.

Saltydog
01-28-2021, 09:01 PM
NMcP has literally sucked the life out of the girls program. She just can't coach, PERIOD. Fans are now becoming apathetic.

Dawgology
01-28-2021, 09:09 PM
Didn?t even realize we had a game. Kind of don?t really care. That program is toast.

State82
01-28-2021, 09:14 PM
NMcP has literally sucked the life out of the girls program. She just can't coach, PERIOD. Fans are now becoming apathetic.
Yes she has. The program has turned into a smoking hole in the ground since she arrived. Sad. Sad. Sad.

bobcat91
01-28-2021, 09:26 PM
Tell her to get her stuff out of the office, get Howland to do the same and fire both of these clowns

Leeshouldveflanked
01-28-2021, 09:29 PM
ABC - Another Bad Cohen hire

Coach34
01-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Well- let's just be honest:

Steve Robertson pointed out this was the most talented team "rankings-wise" State has ever had.
We have 2 of the best 6 players in the SEC in Jackson and Carter
Nobody with a brain level above a pop tart thinks this team under Vic would be 3-4 in the SEC right now. I understand transition but a team that should be top 3 in the SEC that is currently in the bottom half of the SEC is a real problem.

redstickdawg
01-28-2021, 09:40 PM
she may be the worst coaching in the last 10 years+

Commercecomet24
01-28-2021, 09:42 PM
Well- let's just be honest:

Steve Robertson pointed out this was the most talented team "rankings-wise" State has ever had.
We have 2 of the best 6 players in the SEC in Jackson and Carter
Nobody with a brain level above a pop tart thinks this team under Vic would be 3-4 in the SEC right now. I understand transition but a team that should be top 3 in the SEC that is currently in the bottom half of the SEC is a real problem.

And getting worse

Coach34
01-28-2021, 09:44 PM
She is going to get a pass for this year regardless- but next year things will heat up. Quickly

R2Dawg
01-28-2021, 10:07 PM
She is going to get a pass for this year regardless- but next year things will heat up. Quickly

Next year it has to heat up fast. We will still have talent that someone can bring us back quickly. We can't let what was our best program on campus go back to 80s WBB. Cohen will have to be fired for this is he don't fix it.

PendingTransaction
01-28-2021, 11:01 PM
As I see it, this team has big talent with bigger egos. I see selfish players who really don't like each other. Unless they are allowed to play with three balls, NMP has to develop a "team" or risk losing players and the program. There could possibly be a need for a purge.

Captain Falcon
01-28-2021, 11:55 PM
It feels like there is going to be a mass exodus from this team in the off-season. I’m talking about talented players that have star potential are going to leave while we have to blow it up and start all over, only a year after we finished second in the SEC with a very young team.

It’s women’s basketball so people will just stop caring, but this has been an even bigger failure than Moorhead’s first year. This was an Elite 8 caliber roster and I’m not certain we will even make the tournament.

Bothrops
01-29-2021, 12:13 AM
It feels like there is going to be a mass exodus from this team in the off-season. I’m talking about talented players that have star potential are going to leave while we have to blow it up and start all over, only a year after we finished second in the SEC with a very young team.

That is exactly what's going to happen, unless there's a big turnaround before the season runs out.

Ari Gold
01-29-2021, 06:30 AM
Amazing... Our women’s Basketball program has been blown up in less than a year.

You reach out to Matthew Mitchell today and see if he has any interest in returning ..

ZedFedder
01-29-2021, 07:06 AM
This thread currently sits at 1 and 1/2 pages. In years past it would have been 10. That’s pretty telling.

99jc
01-29-2021, 07:15 AM
i never missed a womans game last 3 years.....now i dont give a damn and wont unil that sorry ass coach is told to pack her bacgs.

paco
01-29-2021, 08:28 AM
This thread currently sits at 1 and 1/2 pages. In years past it would have been 10. That’s pretty telling.

Zed, your thoughts are exactly why I clicked this link. 2 pagers of chatter when just last year, the MSU-USCe matchup was the best in WCBB. Pinson is a FAILURE.

Coach34
01-29-2021, 09:05 AM
Well- gotta let this season play out. But right now it’s not very encouraging

StarkVegasSteve
01-29-2021, 09:12 AM
Amazing... Our women’s Basketball program has been blown up in less than a year.

You reach out to Matthew Mitchell today and see if he has any interest in returning ..

If he had any interest he would be coaching Kentucky. His wife doesn't like Mississippi and they sure as hell don't need the money.

ZedFedder
01-29-2021, 09:35 AM
Pretty crazy that our WBB fan base was probably top 5 over the last few years with Vic, maybe top 3 with UConn and USCe. Now, there is a great deal of apathy. I didn't even bother to cut on the game. Things can turn around, and I sure hope they do, but there really is no excuse for this. I remember Jo Mo telling the team that they were laying a foundation for the future, which is what you tell a team who had never won. It was so ridiculous because those guys had already won and laid a foundation under Mullen. This feels like much of the same, but perhaps worse. The foundation was laid as well as it could be. The talent is there. She has crapped the bed so far this year, but hopefully that changes.

Randolph Dupree
01-29-2021, 09:47 AM
I think COVID is playing a large part in all of the administrations decisions, but IMO you gotta part ways with Cohen. We've taken a step back in every sport under his watch. Baseball is still strong but Cannizzaro was a embarrassment that could've been prevented with some research up front. Even the Lemonis hire wasn't smooth; he was at least the third choice and that's ok but all of Cohen's comment prior to made it a cluster.

Ask yourself, if we part ways with NMP tomorrow, do you really trust the current AD to make a good hire? I hate calling the guy out but at some point the writing is on the wall.

StateDawg44
01-29-2021, 09:56 AM
Baseball is still strong but Cannizzaro was a embarrassment that could've been prevented with some research up front.

I don't disagree with anything else you said but how on earth could anyone have researched more and known what happened was going to happen with Cann?

StarkVegasSteve
01-29-2021, 09:59 AM
I think COVID is playing a large part in all of the administrations decisions, but IMO you gotta part ways with Cohen. We've taken a step back in every sport under his watch. Baseball is still strong but Cannizzaro was a embarrassment that could've been prevented with some research up front. Even the Lemonis hire wasn't smooth; he was at least the third choice and that's ok but all of Cohen's comment prior to made it a cluster.

Ask yourself, if we part ways with NMP tomorrow, do you really trust the current AD to make a good hire? I hate calling the guy out but at some point the writing is on the wall.

But that again goes back to who then do you hire to be the AD? Could you pluck Jeff Long from Kansas? Would it be an up and comer like Danny White? And I think the most important question, do you trust that Keenum could make that hire? I'm not sure I do

Randolph Dupree
01-29-2021, 10:11 AM
I don't disagree with anything else you said but how on earth could anyone have researched more and known what happened was going to happen with Cann?

Just going to have to trust me on this one. I know that's not what anyone wants to hear, but I've always been of the same opinion you stated until about 6 months ago.

ETA: I don't think anyone could've known what happened was going to happen, but there was probably enough smoke there that we should've stayed clear of that hire.

Randolph Dupree
01-29-2021, 10:13 AM
But that again goes back to who then do you hire to be the AD? Could you pluck Jeff Long from Kansas? Would it be an up and comer like Danny White? And I think the most important question, do you trust that Keenum could make that hire? I'm not sure I do

Yeah, I don't know who I trust but if I'm searching for an AD I find Greg Byrn's right hand person or someone that worked for him that's an AD at a smaller school. That guy is the real deal.

yjnkdawg
01-29-2021, 10:43 AM
Everything is going to be all right. According to our coach in the presser last night we are moving in the right direction going into February.*** :rolleyes: We looked to be disorganized, poor coaching, out of control, and not a team effort in doing the things necessary to compete. Edit to say - No effort to play together in a team effort.

StarkVegasSteve
01-29-2021, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I don't know who I trust but if I'm searching for an AD I find Greg Byrn's right hand person or someone that worked for him that's an AD at a smaller school. That guy is the real deal.

I'd make a call to Rhett Hobart. That guy knows how to run our dept. efficiently. He was here during both Byrne and Stricklin's tenure and also during Cohen's so he knows how to correct those mistakes that have been made.

Ari Gold
01-29-2021, 12:54 PM
Also little rumor going around that Leah Beasley had a hand maybe small Maybe big in the hiring of NMP
If true All I have to say about that is Holy ****ing Shit....

Dawgfan77
01-29-2021, 01:00 PM
I'd make a call to Rhett Hobart. That guy knows how to run our dept. efficiently. He was here during both Byrne and Stricklin's tenure and also during Cohen's so he knows how to correct those mistakes that have been made.
The guy isn't even 30 and never been more than a step up from a student assistant. Thai is is his second position from being instudent recruitment. The guy at EMU or Ga Southern is who we should hire.
Regardless Cohen has to go

StarkVegasSteve
01-29-2021, 01:25 PM
The guy isn't even 30 and never been more than a step up from a student assistant. Thai is is his second position from being instudent recruitment. The guy at EMU or Ga Southern is who we should hire.
Regardless Cohen has to go

Rhett was higher up in our AD than you think and is now in a good position in Wake's. Benko and Weatherbee don't have any experience on the hiring side of the things so that's a wash there. And Rhett is under a guy I consider one of the best AD's in the country in John Currie. Don't let the Tennessee fiasco fool you this guy is bright. Hell he was on a plane to bring Leach back to Knoxville until Phat Phil undermined him. I'm not saying hire Rhett, but he definitely deserves a look when we hire a new one. And not that it matters, but Rhett is over 30.

Pinto
01-29-2021, 01:49 PM
If we can?t make a better higher than Rhett Hobart we need to shut the whole athletic department down. Geez.

StarkVegasSteve
01-29-2021, 02:25 PM
If we can?t make a better higher than Rhett Hobart we need to shut the whole athletic department down. Geez.

How does one make a better "higher"?***

PGHBulldogBG
01-29-2021, 04:19 PM
This is why as frustrating as Howland is we can?t fire him. Cohen will hire the worst possible candidate available to take the job and then we will be right back to Rick Ray level

schddog72
01-29-2021, 04:33 PM
When do people stop caring again? Tomorrow?

The loss to Kentucky pretty much did it for me.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2021, 06:19 PM
I was a Cohen defender after Cann (not Cohens fault), and Moorhead (good hire on paper everyone thought would work). But it's clear now Baseball is the only thing he can hire for. Not anymore: Football his top 3 choices in '17 were: Moorhead, Morris, and Pruitt. That's about as bad judgement as you can make. Now Pinson has proven Cohen can't hire for Basketball either. In fact, it's really hard to believe a coach could blow up a championship program with experienced young talent as fast as she did, it's really impressive he could find such a bad hire.

He's make terrible decisions when it comes to marketing. He's not been able to upgrade our facilities at an impressive rate. He's an idiot at PR as shown by counting the Jim Schlosnagle(sp?) hire before it happened. "We're going to hire a guy with multiple trips to the CWCS" did not reffer to Lemones, though I do like that hire.

He's got to go. We're falling behind in marketing, his hires are god awful as often as they are decent (he's yet to hit a home run either), and he can't fund raise particularly well.

In a few years we get an extra $20ish million in TV revenue. That will expand the pool of who we can hire. Having an AD that can nail hires is absolutely critical to capitalize. Cohen 'aint it.

notsofarawaydawg
01-30-2021, 07:11 AM
Sad thing is we will lose some of this talent at seasons end and I don?t mean seniors either. Transfer portal here they come.

DownwardDawg
01-31-2021, 06:00 PM

Time for Byrne to come back home.

R2Dawg
01-31-2021, 06:14 PM
I was a Cohen defender after Cann (not Cohens fault), and Moorhead (good hire on paper everyone thought would work). But it's clear now Baseball is the only thing he can hire for. Not anymore: Football his top 3 choices in '17 were: Moorhead, Morris, and Pruitt. That's about as bad judgement as you can make. Now Pinson has proven Cohen can't hire for Basketball either. In fact, it's really hard to believe a coach could blow up a championship program with experienced young talent as fast as she did, it's really impressive he could find such a bad hire.

He's make terrible decisions when it comes to marketing. He's not been able to upgrade our facilities at an impressive rate. He's an idiot at PR as shown by counting the Jim Schlosnagle(sp?) hire before it happened. "We're going to hire a guy with multiple trips to the CWCS" did not reffer to Lemones, though I do like that hire.

He's got to go. We're falling behind in marketing, his hires are god awful as often as they are decent (he's yet to hit a home run either), and he can't fund raise particularly well.

In a few years we get an extra $20ish million in TV revenue. That will expand the pool of who we can hire. Having an AD that can nail hires is absolutely critical to capitalize. Cohen 'aint it.

Ain't that the truth. It takes real skill to kill a program like what has happened this year. Can't blame it on Covid either, everyone is playing with it. It actually should give us an advantage.

R2Dawg
01-31-2021, 06:15 PM
Time for Byrne to come back home.

That would be great but Byrne is already being mentioned for Conf commissioner jobs like Pac10. He ain't going backwards.

R2Dawg
01-31-2021, 06:18 PM
Sad thing is we will lose some of this talent at seasons end and I don?t mean seniors either. Transfer portal here they come.

This is going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 big names gone.

Too bad this will be a death penalty type hire though and when she leaves she will blame MSU for not giving her time to build program the right way.

R2Dawg
01-31-2021, 06:19 PM
This is why as frustrating as Howland is we can?t fire him. Cohen will hire the worst possible candidate available to take the job and then we will be right back to Rick Ray level

Yep, Cohen can't hire a next coach anywhere.

R2Dawg
01-31-2021, 06:20 PM
The loss to Kentucky pretty much did it for me.

While I have been concerned for a while, the Bama loss really sent me the final verdict. We lost big and it wasn't even close. Look at our schedule, we may not win another game?