PDA

View Full Version : I feel very conflicted about Mullen now.

Tbonewannabe
11-09-2013, 10:12 PM
We have the personnel to be very good but really dumb coaching mistakes cost us this game. However the same coaches put us in a position to be competitive. We finally played 4 quarters. I was even happy Mullen didn't just let them run out the clock. Unlike last week, he tried to win until the clock hit 0. I feel like I am dating the crazy girl with great sex. Just when you are ready to kick her to the curb she wakes you up with a mind blowing bj.

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 10:38 PM
We have the personnel to be very good but really dumb coaching mistakes cost us this game. However the same coaches put us in a position to be competitive. We finally played 4 quarters. I was even happy Mullen didn't just let them run out the clock. Unlike last week, he tried to win until the clock hit 0. I feel like I am dating the crazy girl with great sex. Just when you are ready to kick her to the curb she wakes you up with a mind blowing bj.

I hear you man. I don't know what to think. Mullen does so many things well, that I don't want to get rid of him, but so many things poor that I'm not sure we can get to the next level under him. It's confusing, and you aren't the only one.

Quaoarsking
11-09-2013, 10:53 PM
If Mullen coaches like this from now on, we'll be at least 7-6 the next two years. If he coaches like this, except fixes the coaching mistakes, we'll be 9-4 next year.

It was great how Mullen clearly gave a damn today. I've been missing that.

engie
11-09-2013, 10:56 PM
He was better today effort wise than he's been in quite awhile -- that's for sure.

I just think we'll always underperform under the bright lights with him. A great gameday coach wins that game today.

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 10:58 PM
He was better today effort wise than he's been in quite awhile -- that's for sure.

I just think we'll always underperform under the bright lights with him. A great gameday coach wins that game today.

Not debating this one bit, but today showed me that he doesn't get credit for how well he has recruited because we have talent, and I think we have good schemes.

Do we give that up to get a better game day coach, and is Hud absolutely the guy that can do both?

thedawg
11-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I totally agree about being very conflicted. I think at the end of the day the man's body of work earns him the right to get it turned around next year... will he get it turned around? I'm not sure... I think he can with Dak mext year. How do we justify running him off if he doesn't finish 4-8?Its a big decision and no clear cut pick Imo.. either way Hail State

engie
11-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Not debating this one bit, but today showed me that he doesn't get credit for how well he has recruited because we have talent, and I think we have good schemes.

Do we give that up to get a better game day coach, and is Hud absolutely the guy that can do both?

Yes.

Todd4State
11-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Don't be fooled. Texas A&M's defense is awful. The only teams that they have shut down are UTEP and SMU.

The personnel decisions that Dan makes KILL us. Everyone wants to focus on Tyler vs. Dak. But why doesn't D'Runnya start? Why have we not played Fred Brown more? Robinson and Shumpert over Perkins? No matter who the QB is, those players that Dan doesn't play a lot would help both QB's immensely. And it doesn't just limit itself to offense either- the secondary is a mess. Cox needs be at safety, Whitley needs to be at LB. And then there is the saga of Devon Bell.

We don't do little things well. We killed their punter, let the 12th douchebag come through unblocked, had a field goal blocked.

I really and truly believe that if we get a coach that is extremely detailed oriented and puts the best players on the field- we are a MUCH better team and we will reach our peak.

Will James
11-09-2013, 11:45 PM
I remain very unconflicted in this "Gots-2-Go" situation. Don't let the door hit you either Strick and Brack

BeastMan
11-09-2013, 11:47 PM
I hate the moral victory shit

engie
11-09-2013, 11:56 PM

Bingo.

In year 5, we should be past that.

engie
11-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Don't be fooled. Texas A&M's defense is awful. The only teams that they have shut down are UTEP and SMU.

The personnel decisions that Dan makes KILL us. Everyone wants to focus on Tyler vs. Dak. But why doesn't D'Runnya start? Why have we not played Fred Brown more? Robinson and Shumpert over Perkins? No matter who the QB is, those players that Dan doesn't play a lot would help both QB's immensely. And it doesn't just limit itself to offense either- the secondary is a mess. Cox needs be at safety, Whitley needs to be at LB. And then there is the saga of Devon Bell.

We don't do little things well. We killed their punter, let the 12th douchebag come through unblocked, had a field goal blocked.

I really and truly believe that if we get a coach that is extremely detailed oriented and puts the best players on the field- we are a MUCH better team and we will reach our peak.

Exactly my thoughts. Verbatim.

I'm not even mad about the roughing the kicker penalty -- because that was Deontae Evans who is actually a young guy that I expect freshman mistakes from -- and we actually "got there" for maybe the first time under Mullen.

What kills us are "freshman mistakes" from a crapload of players that are 2-3 years removed from being freshmen.

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 12:00 AM

Some actual victories would be nice.

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 12:29 AM
To me this is more of a wait and see game. Can he go into the film room and see his mistakes or is he just going to say "defense lost us this one, my offense and sp is good enough". He put us in a position to win but he also cost the players a win by the same bullshit playcalling like tyler on a zone read for 2 pt conversion.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2013, 12:43 AM

Very well said.

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 12:55 AM

The question is do you think mullen can recognize his weaknesses and correct them or is he stubborn like Croom was when he refused to fire Woody until it was too late?

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 02:20 AM
The question is do you think mullen can recognize his weaknesses and correct them or is he stubborn like Croom was when he refused to fire Woody until it was too late?

I don't know what the deal with Mullen is. When he first got here, the best players played the most. Unless it was a spot like QB with Relf and Lee where neither one was a clear cut starter.

He does seem to favor upperclassmen- but then again, you have Bell punting for Swedenberg right now.

It's probably a combination of things. My guess is he overestimates certain players abilities. He told a TV guy that Bell could kick a field goal from 65 yards out. He uses Perkins like he used Vick Ballard. I can tell he favors players that perform well in practice- but the problem is he doesn't seem to mind sacrificing in game performance over that. It's just puzzling. He's hard headed and stubborn- which is fine but don't be so hard headed that you cost the team games.

So, no I don't think he can recognize his weaknesses.

Dawgface
11-10-2013, 07:38 AM
I don't know what the deal with Mullen is. When he first got here, the best players played the most. Unless it was a spot like QB with Relf and Lee where neither one was a clear cut starter.

He does seem to favor upperclassmen- but then again, you have Bell punting for Swedenberg right now.

It's probably a combination of things. My guess is he overestimates certain players abilities. He told a TV guy that Bell could kick a field goal from 65 yards out. He uses Perkins like he used Vick Ballard. I can tell he favors players that perform well in practice- but the problem is he doesn't seem to mind sacrificing in game performance over that. It's just puzzling. He's hard headed and stubborn- which is fine but don't be so hard headed that you cost the team games.

So, no I don't think he can recognize his weaknesses.

Exactly.

Sienfield
11-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Completely agree. For those who are conflicted after this game they will not be after Bama comes to town.

blacklistedbully
11-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Yep Todd, you nailed it. Add to that his mind-numbing decisions to cram Russell and Perk-up-the-middle down our throats and I'm finally ready for him to go. How stupid does a man have to be to still think it's a good idea to have Perk in the backfield with TR and have TR run it or Perk take it up the gut?

We all knew just about every drive needed to result in points for us, and that Dak/JRob/Shumpert with a little bit of Perk used appropriately was our best chance for this, yet Dan basically threw away the first 2 drives by going with the same old failed shit he's done over and over and over again!

Y'all all know I was on-the-fence with Dan and thought we had a great chance to win this game going in. But as soon as I witnessed the first drive, I knew Dan was going to shit-the-bed again. Said right then & there I am ready for him to go if we can get Hud or even Petrino. Mullen refuses to change, refuses to adapt. He's no longer good enough to be our HC.

Dawgfan77
11-10-2013, 08:15 AM
I agree with Todd on this. To me this game was the definition that we are not headed in the right direction. If we had played this well on the road at A & M in year 1 of the Mullen era, then yes I could see the optimism, but the fact this is year five and the coaching mistakes, the play calling the handling of players is really confusing. How anyone on this board or any board can continue to defend Mullen and this staff is beyond my comprehension. We have talent top to bottom, no we dont have a JFF but who does, yet this coaching staff in year 5 does not know how to put the players in position to win. 5-7 is the absolute best we can do with this coaching staff and next year this staff will only win 6 to 7 games in a year where the schedule, the roster and the SEC sets up for you to possibly win 9 to 10 next year.

Op4isabitch
11-10-2013, 08:32 AM

Thanks Todd,
I don't know why but that made me spill my coffee.

I am somewhat conflicted about yesterdays game. If Mullen continues to show the effort he put forward yesterday, I may be able to get back on the fence. He really needs to clean up his play calling and stop with the dumb stuff, it's almost as if he thinks he is coaching against peewee league coaches and players at times! He needs to go with what works and stop being so cute so often, I have no problem with a well thought out "trick" play every now and then but the silly stuff with Russell at QB and the continuous use of Perk up the middle when you have Shump and JRob available just makes me lose it!

Anyway, look at the stats on this link, I think it shows that with true relentless effort and descent to good coaching we can compete.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&SPID=93232&SPSID=632662

Will James
11-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Have we gotten so far down that we now are searching for any little silver lining to hang on Dans hat? I mean lets not forget auburn actually BEAT THESE GUYS. Anytime yesterday we got a little close all they had to do was swat us away like an annoying gnat and go score again. How many Dunders (Dan blunders) did we have?

1. Russell the first two drives
2. Blocked punt
3. ANOTHER quick strike before halftime
4. Blocked FG
5. 2 pt try in the 3rd qtr
6. Russell on the 3rd and 4 sweep
7. Russell on the read option 2 pt try
8. Perkins up the middle x1000
9. Limited J Rob carries.

I mean good lord people the guy cannot get out of his own damn way and you are happy because we get to have a few extra practices for a wonderful winter extravaganza in beautiful Memphis or Birming****ingham. It doesn't have to be this way!!! We have no shot against our superiors with Dan. None. He is a rank amateur. Please please please do not let us waste this talent with the Yankee and send us back to the absolute bottom. How you Mullen defenders don't see what's right in front of you is beyond me. He has to be replaced. Quit looking at the past or saying going to bowls consistently is pretty good. (Shhhhhhhh..... Over half of D1 goes to bowls) Its not like by some miracle we are now at the peak of MSU football because we've gone to a few bowl games. Please tell me Mark Hudspeth cannot get us to bowls consistently. You can't. And he won't embarass us every damn time we play a decent team.

Op4isabitch
11-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Will,

I'm not arguing with the points you make. I'm on the Hud train!
Having said that, if and that's a HUGE if, Mullen continues to coach hard and cuts out the stupid stuff, then maybe I can at least get back up on the fence.
If you look at the stats I linked and go through each of the games on that link you will see that we did some very good things yesterday, actually somethings far better than other teams have been able to do against aTm.

Will James
11-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Will,

I'm not arguing with the points you make. I'm on the Hud train!
Having said that, if and that's a HUGE if, Mullen continues to coach hard and cuts out the stupid stuff, then maybe I can at least get back up on the fence.
If you look at the stats I linked and go through each of the games on that link you will see that we did some very good things yesterday, actually somethings far better than other teams have been able to do against aTm.

Coaching hard and not being retardrd are 1 and 1A on the requirements as a coach. Having to hope for both of these things is so beyond reason and yet we have people happy that we didn't look AS clueless as in other games.

HE WAS STILL CLUELESS A LOT which goes against the job description. All I have to do is point to Auburn from last year to this year. The talent was there but the coaching wasn't. They fired a national champ and now are ROLLING people in GusBus year one running the GDFB. Gus maximizes talent. Dan minimalizes it. Dan has got to go. Don't use his very bad games as a barometer for his kind of bad games. Use Gus as the measuring stick and realize what a dud we have without Hud.

Political Hack
11-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Dan just went toe to toe with Sumlin and Johnny in their house, with less talent.

Will James
11-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Dan just went toe to toe with Sumlin and Johnny in their house, with less talent.

Toe-to-toe? You really went there. We were an annoying fly on Johnny and Sumlins walk through the park.

wrb7480
11-10-2013, 09:07 AM
^^^^^
Well said! But I'm afraid HUD is Mullen 2.0!

Political Hack
11-10-2013, 09:10 AM
toe. to. toe.

Will James
11-10-2013, 09:16 AM
toe. to. toe.

We were down 51-27 in the 4th quarter you dunce.

Political Hack
11-10-2013, 09:49 AM
We were down 51-27 in the 4th quarter you dunce.

I didn't know that randomly pulled scores during the game counted. that's great.

In that case we out scored them in the 4th, 21-14. We outscored SC in the 4th. We we're beating Auburn in the 4th. We we're beating OSU almost the entire first half.

your dumbassery is about as meaningful as that. Stay in school kid. You're not there yet.

Dawgface
11-10-2013, 09:55 AM
I didn't know that randomly pulled scores during the game counted. that's great.

In that case we out scored them in the 4th, 21-14. We outscored SC in the 4th. We we're beating Auburn in the 4th. We we're beating OSU almost the entire first half.

your dumbassery is about as meaningful as that. Stay in school kid. You're not there yet.

He's there. We closed the gap in garbage time. That is it. We did hang in there for the first half and did our traditional fold right before half and through the 2nd. The only difference is we got a few garbage points to make the score look respectable. Yeaaa..........

Political Hack
11-10-2013, 09:58 AM
He's there. We closed the gap in garbage time. That is it. We did hang in there for the first half and did our traditional fold right before half and through the 2nd. The only difference is we got a few garbage points to make the score look respectable. Yeaaa..........

Don't ever accuse Mullen of giving up again. Neither of you. He didn't give up, but apparently you did.

Tbonewannabe
11-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Don't ever accuse Mullen of giving up again. Neither of you. He didn't give up, but apparently you did.
He didnt give up yesterday but he did at sc.

Will James
11-10-2013, 10:08 AM
He didnt give up yesterday but he did at sc.

Not "giving up" but we were huddling up and letting the play clock get below 10 with 5 left in the game yesterday

Political Hack
11-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Not "giving up" but we were huddling up and letting the play clock get below 10 with 5 left in the game yesterday

that pissed me off too, but had they not busted that KO return we still had time. We also have to out things in perspective. we're working with a first year starter who missed the spring and did not expect to start this season. CDM may not have confidence in Dak running the two minute offense yet. I don't think there's a lot of confidence to be given in the passing game at all with Dak. He'll get there but he's not there yet. We slowed it down, scored a TD, saved our TOs, and had a chance to get back in the game.

cheewgumm
11-10-2013, 10:17 AM
No shit!!! Exactly. I was yelling at my t " a& ms defense sucks!!!! Why are you huddling, down 21 with 10 minutes left?!?!?!?!"

This " toe to toe" re- write of history is pretty typical. We were down 51-27. We were down 21 with 10 minutes left.

Dak is a gamer and a & ms defense is crap.... So we pulled within 10. To classify that as going " toe to toe" is so delusional I think you are probably joking.

Ask yourself if a&am ever felt threatened they would lose. Answer ... Not even close.

Political Hack
11-10-2013, 10:19 AM
y'all feel free to become ole miss fans.

Will James
11-10-2013, 10:21 AM

Your plan will benefit them so much more than hiring Hud.

cheewgumm
11-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Ha! We just believe State deserves more. To me the people that want to just win 6 keep and call it " progress" are ole miss' best friends.

I bet ole miss loves you guys.

Political Hack
11-10-2013, 10:29 AM
a six win down year is the floor that I'll gladly tolerate given history, circumstances, and just plain ass logic.

Dawgfan77
11-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Hack, I am not trying to flame, I just want to know your thoughts because you are so adamant on keeping Mullen. What do you see that maybe some of us others don't that leads you to believe he can win and win big. I just see the same coaching mistakes we have seen in all five years he has been here in regards to in game coaching. I am not flaming I just want your opinion

Will James
11-10-2013, 10:34 AM
a six win down year is the floor that I'll gladly tolerate given history, circumstances, and just plain ass logic.

While on our way to 5

Will James
11-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Ha! We just believe State deserves more. To me the people that want to just win 6 keep and call it " progress" are ole miss' best friends.

I bet ole miss loves you guys.

bingo

drunkernhelldawg
11-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Yep Todd, you nailed it. Add to that his mind-numbing decisions to cram Russell and Perk-up-the-middle down our throats and I'm finally ready for him to go. How stupid does a man have to be to still think it's a good idea to have Perk in the backfield with TR and have TR run it or Perk take it up the gut?

We all knew just about every drive needed to result in points for us, and that Dak/JRob/Shumpert with a little bit of Perk used appropriately was our best chance for this, yet Dan basically threw away the first 2 drives by going with the same old failed shit he's done over and over and over again!

Y'all all know I was on-the-fence with Dan and thought we had a great chance to win this game going in. But as soon as I witnessed the first drive, I knew Dan was going to shit-the-bed again. Said right then & there I am ready for him to go if we can get Hud or even Petrino. Mullen refuses to change, refuses to adapt. He's no longer good enough to be our HC.

I'm glad you mentioned that first drive. I think throwing that opportunity away is a hidden key to the outcome of the game. The costliest play was Dak's interception (14 point swing), but just sacrificing that first drive with those horrible second and third down play calls set a tone that we struggled all day to overcome.

DawgsBite34
11-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Dan lost the game again all this is spot on. Dans decisions make zero sense as far as who plays and his playcalling is ATROCIOUS. Russell should've never started we wasted 3 possessions early in the game, in a winnable game against the best offense in college football. DUMB. If Dak could go he should've started. Why do we just not run the damn ball? We wait till were down 17 to do it. DUMB. We should've ran it out of the gate and to start the 2nd half. We blew this game again. Its on Dan. Special teams were awful, have no idea where Baker Swedenburg went. One of Danny Dumbass's decisions probably and JRob should be the starting RB all day everyday. Period. Dan is a Dud we want HUD

thunderclap
11-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Bingo, Todd.

was21
11-10-2013, 01:21 PM

If he do nothing more than just concentrate on the special teams by either spending more time on them or designating some coach to handle those duties, it would probably be a vast improvement and possibly account for at least one additional W.

Todd4State
11-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Dan lost the game again all this is spot on. Dans decisions make zero sense as far as who plays and his playcalling is ATROCIOUS. Russell should've never started we wasted 3 possessions early in the game, in a winnable game against the best offense in college football. DUMB. If Dak could go he should've started. Why do we just not run the damn ball? We wait till were down 17 to do it. DUMB. We should've ran it out of the gate and to start the 2nd half. We blew this game again. Its on Dan. Special teams were awful, have no idea where Baker Swedenburg went. One of Danny Dumbass's decisions probably and JRob should be the starting RB all day everyday. Period. Dan is a Dud we want HUD

Or if he is going to start Tyler- and it was understandable why he did in this instance- at least start Robinson alongside him instead of Perkins and start Bear at WR.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Heck of a post, Todd.